Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Pilot admits 'accidental deaths' of camping couple in court​

Dispute over hunting.
Russell is supposed to have said he had drone footage of GL hunting and was going to report him for hunting too close to camp sites.
Wonder whether he's slaughtered airport security officers who took away his water bottle? Murdered the traffic control guy who wouldn't let him land on his favorite runway?

A daughter of slain camper Carol Clay could be among those to give evidence in the murder trial of her mother's alleged killer Greg Lynn, as the ex-pilot's murder trial enters its second day of evidence.

The 15-person jury was told Ms Clay's daughter Emma Davies would be among the witnesses called on Wednesday for the Victorian Supreme Court murder trial.

Other witnesses on Wednesday include Michael Allan, a friend of Mr Hill, three campers who were in the Wonnangatta Valley, and a park ranger.

Other relatives of the deceased and Mr Lynn's wife Melanie are on the witness list, as are several police officers, scientists and technology experts.

So far the witnesses who have appeared today are a runner who encountered Russell at his camp, during a marathon run. Russell didn't understand why the runner had camped so close to Russell, but was okay when the runner explained that he had thought Russell's camp belonged to someone else.

And two of the hunters who I paraphrased their comments about Russell earlier, one of them said that .... “Russell was a very kind-natured individual, he was very good to talk to”. (see link)

My guess is that the prosecution is showing what Russell's interactions were like with other campers. Even if there were things they didn't agree about, Russell never flew off the handle and attacked them with a knife or stole their firearms. And Carol just sat quietly, reading a book.

Re witnesses who talked to Russell.
It must be very upsetting for Russell's wife to hear what some of those who spoke to him said that he said about his home life.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/greg-lynn-trial-hunter-tells-jury-he-met-kindnatured-russell-hill-a-week-before-alleged-murder/news-story/0703a9198243d3cf2c333222ffe44d73

I think retirement can be a difficult time for a couple ... adjusting (or not) to newly being together 24/7. I get the impression that Russell loved his job and might rather have not retired. I hope his wife doesn't take it to heart too much.
She did the decent thing and reported him missing when Russell's ham radio buddy became really concerned about not hearing from Russell.

I feel for their families. They say that the trial makes the family members relive the crime. And this was a terrible crime, not only of alleged murder but also of definite and horrible destruction of Russell's and Carol's bodies.

As well, the families are coming to terms with the knowledge of Russell and Carol's relationship, and of that relationship being laid bare to the public.

imo

I feel for their families. They say that the trial makes the family members relive the crime. And this was a terrible crime, not only of alleged murder but also of definite and horrible destruction of Russell's and Carol's bodies.

As well, the families are coming to terms with the knowledge of Russell and Carol's relationship, and of that relationship being laid bare to the public.

imo
Agree completely. It will be good for the jury to hear from Russell and Carol’s families. To hear what good people they were, their loss and the consequences of Lynn’s horrific actions.
It is sickening to have the emphasis at this stage of “ Poor me” and his “story and excuses.” It’s a travesty that Lynn is still hurting the families with his lack of ownership and taking responsibility for his actions.

Were there reports of gunshots at various times of the day?

I don't know. I expect we will hear from many more witnesses.

GL says that Russell fired a shot into the air. And then he (GL) fired a shot into the air. So possibly GL had a cover story ready, in case others heard more gunshots than the one that allegedly killed Carol (if they even heard that one). imo

"According to the account given to police, Hill fired a shot into the air when Lynn attempted to retrieve the gun."
"The court heard that Hill then let go of the gun to go to Clay. Lynn told police he fired the gun in the air to “make it safe”. "

Re witnesses who talked to Russell.
It must be very upsetting for Russell's wife to hear what some of those who spoke to him said that he said about his home life.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/greg-lynn-trial-hunter-tells-jury-he-met-kindnatured-russell-hill-a-week-before-alleged-murder/news-story/0703a9198243d3cf2c333222ffe44d73
Yeah, this is really sad for her. The affair was reported to have gone on for fourteen years, and her nagging made him dislike being at home. Ouch

If Russell did take GLs gun from the car whilst the music was turned up, it's hard to believe he'd go back to his campsite with it and just hold it whilst he waited for GL to realise that it's missing. This type of behaviour wouldn't have impressed Carol, that's for sure. And was he going to wait there all night with it until GL realised it was missing?

Very hard to believe GLs story on many fronts so far.

JMO

March 20, 2020, Evening: Police allege Mr Lynn murdered Mr Hill and Ms Clay

July 14, 2020: Police visit Mr Lynn's home, noticing his car has been repainted.

(Source: Victoria Police summary of facts submitted to Melbourne Magistrates' Court)

IMO, plenty of time between events for Lynn to concoct a tale.

If Russell did take GLs gun from the car whilst the music was turned up, it's hard to believe he'd go back to his campsite with it and just hold it whilst he waited for GL to realise that it's missing. This type of behaviour wouldn't have impressed Carol, that's for sure. And was he going to wait there all night with it until GL realised it was missing?

JMO

If he even turned the music up, or on ....

The 3 stated gunshots interest me. One supposedly up in the air, one that killed Carol, then another supposedly up in the air. All in the space of how many seconds?

Were the shells found? Did GL search around and pick them up? What happened to the drone? Where is it? Why was there no cash in their wallets? Were they the type to take no cash with them?

So many questions.

imo

Yeah, this is really sad for her. The affair was reported to have gone on for fourteen years, and her nagging made him dislike being at home. Ouch
(Yeah, so he is claiming there was a negligent discharge. If he was hunting deer, buckshot could easily kill a person at 30 yards or maybe more.)

It's horrible when your family's dirty laundry gets aired in public - I feel for both families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back