GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

I was thinking she probably wasn't attacked right outside or in the yard of the house where she was found.. the people there didn't hear a peep, and they also say that the dogs on either side were quiet, which was odd. Other neighbours also note that the local dogs didn't bark, which they thought was unusual. Was it someone familiar to the street?

Maybe the killer carried her body to that yard after Joan was attacked further down the street? Other people in the neighbourhood said they heard a woman yelling in 'Chinese' (any Asian language might be 'Chinese' to people who don't know the difference, I think..) - I'd like to know the geography of that, how far those people are from the house where she was found.

The man who discovered her body went up to the door and knocked, asking the residents if they 'know what's in your yard'... What a shock for those poor people, too..

It seems the police are doing all the possibly can to find Joan's killer. I hope they do so swiftly.

ETA: people living 1500m from the crime scene found a wallet next to their bins and have handed it in to police.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ce-investigation/story-fnii5v6u-1226648723921

It seems she was attacked enough to cause bleeding on the other side of the road. Maybe they didn't hear anything because she was soon unconscious (I hope so for her sake) and quickly taken out of view to be assaulted :( :( Hopefully the clues they have so far will lead them to the perp ASAP.

Yes I skipped over the possibility that yellow man was mentally deranged or psychotic or something along those lines and had committed the crime.

Agree that yellow could be a pretty uncommon choice for men, depending on the type of garment. If it was a surfer/skater style T-shirt or hoodie with a printed logo or design on one side I wouldn't consider it too unusual. If it was a button up shirt with a collar or polo shirt or jumper I'd say that'd be a bit odd. Also as it was a working day it's possible it may have been part of some kind of work uniform. I hope detectives are looking into that as a possibility.

I also had that question in my mind about the man who discovered the body. Sometimes hiding in full view is what these people do and I'm sure it would be routine for detectives to eliminate anyone with a significant role, even if it is simply the discovery of a body.

Feel terrible for her loved ones. I met some phillipino women back in my student days, always such warm and friendly people with that sweet Americanised English. So sad, I hope the person/persons responsible are spending sleepless nights, sweating, expecting a banging on their door any time now.

I too am wondering where she was killed and assaulted? It doesn't make any sense to me... You wouldn't rape and kill someone in someone's front yard...

Does anyone know if the stolen car has been found yet or what time
it was reported missing to the police?
Wonder how the neighbours are certain what time it was stolen.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-central-street/story-e6freoof-1226649540743

POLICE have confirmed for the first time they believe Joan Ryther was initially attacked at the site where her body was found.

"At this stage the investigation would indicate that the victim was initially assaulted in Leichhardt St," Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson said outside Logan police station.

He said that after a public appeal yesterday, police had located the person who had moved Ms Ryther's McDonald's cap in Leichhardt St.

But police "for elimination purposes" were still looking for a man in a yellow top who turned up at a Logan house asking to come inside on Tuesday night.

In the above report it mentions the husband spoke with detectives again this morning before travelling with them to police station. Perhaps to identify clothing or similar??

What I do find a little strange is no one has come forward so far to say they saw Joan walking to work. It's a 1km, 15 minute walk, surely someone would have seen her walking. I have to wonder, did she really leave home on foot??

Marlywings, in the news footage in the link above, a woman who knew Joan said she drove past her about 8.30 pm as Joan walked to work, and this is believed to be the last sighting of her.

I don't get why her killer would attack her on one side of the street and then drag her to a yard (of a house where people were home) on the opposite side. Why not stay on THAT side of the street? Why place her body in the yard at all? It just seems really odd..

ETA: Oho, this might be why (from the same link):

Robert Kamu, who lives in the house where Ms Ryther was found, said he and his two housemates were inside watching a horror film on the night she was murdered.

The trio of friends had just hired the DVD from a nearby store and may have missed Ms Ryther by only minutes.

"We didn't hear anything."

He said their front light was broken and the garden would have been very dark.

I also think the stolen car is linked. perhaps I was she disturbed the car thief & he hit her with whatever he was using to break into the car. Perhaps she dropped with the impact & the garden across the road was the darkest place. Although would you then take the chance of touching her there & then return to the break in. Hmmm think my scenario falls apart on closer thinking.

In the above report it mentions the husband spoke with detectives again this morning before travelling with them to police station. Perhaps to identify clothing or similar??

What I do find a little strange is no one has come forward so far to say they saw Joan walking to work. It's a 1km, 15 minute walk, surely someone would have seen her walking. I have to wonder, did she really leave home on foot??
I find it strange too Marlywings, I suspect she was in the stolen car, that's why I keep asking if it has been found, if so and it has been eliminated I'll move on to another theory.

If she was on her way to work then it sounds like it was a random opportunity crime. :frown:

From one photo I saw, I think the front yard was perhaps pretty shielded? Explains who someone might see her and be unsure and then return for a closer look.

I don't think this crime took a lot of time, and the person is probably extremely impulsive so not a lot of weighing pros and cons - saw an opportunity, attacked her, got her out of sight, and was probably gone moments later. Had be been interrupted he would have fled, or used more violence in order to.

This is only about 15 minutes from me.

I think it's worth noting that the local pub is very close to McDonalds. Also, FYI Logan is known as a low socio economic, high crime area. Rightly or wrongly. There are many hard working family people there, just doing what they can to get their families ahead. But there is also a lot of petty crime, drugs, etc in the area. Meth is a bit of a problem MOO

It's possible that the stolen car is connected, but equally possible that it's not. I imagine that particular area, close to the main road etc has quite a lot of foot traffic. IMO

The police seem to believe that Joan was initially attacked where her blood was found. I agree and think the perp dragged her across the road into the dark yard for privacy. Do we have a house number for Leichardt st?

Re the yellow shirt - it is quite common for men in the area to wear 'Hi- vis' work wear.The top half is fluoro yellow and the bottom half dark blue/black. When I read yellow shirt, I immediately thought of a work shirt. They are worn by many people from truck driver to warehouse workers, to courier, cleaner, you name it.

Yellow Shirt could have witnessed something or could somehow be involved. The longer it is before he comes forward, the worse it looks for him.

:moo::moo::moo:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...r-body-was-found/story-e6frfku9-1226650034021

Detectives would like to eliminate a man from their inquiries who was wearing a yellow top in the area.

"I've been quite critical of the media about this, they've been painting him as the villain.

"Of course as soon as he sees that he's going to think 'well, I'm not going to go see the coppers if they think I'm the villain, but we just want to eliminate him from our inquiries."

I didn't find that witness on the video, who claimed to maybe be the last person to see Joan, particularly credible.

Yes oz girl that was a pretty strange message she wrote on her facebook page in Dec 2012.There were issues.
Not sure if I'm allowed to copy it here?

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...r-body-was-found/story-e6frfku9-1226650034021

Detectives would like to eliminate a man from their inquiries who was wearing a yellow top in the area.

"I've been quite critical of the media about this, they've been painting him as the villain.

"Of course as soon as he sees that he's going to think 'well, I'm not going to go see the coppers if they think I'm the villain, but we just want to eliminate him from our inquiries."

IMO this area (Logan) can be quite 'anti- copper'. So I'm not surprised that Yellow Shirt hasn't come forward yet.

He's either involved in that he knows the perp, or he witnessed the attack IMO.. Either way he feels guilty that he didn't stop it, combine that with the Logan ' don't talk to the cops' metality and we have a witness who is not entirely willing to speak to police.

:moo::moo:

''The stolen car has been recovered, but its connection to the case, if any, remains unclear''.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...sexually-assaulted-police-20130523-2k366.html

Perhaps Yellow Man was the person who stole the car. Even if he's not involved in the attack that would probably be reason enough for a crim not to come forward considering prints are likely on the vehicle they've reportedly recovered.

With the level of violence of the attack the perpetrator must have had blood on their person, so no doubt investigators would be going over the car very carefully.

I hope police make a public appeal to anyone who may have noticed blood on the clothing, skin or hair of an associate, family member or stranger that night or in subsequent days. In addition, out of the ordinary behaviour such as washing clothes at an unusual hour of the night, bathing, or burning off could also be important details.

It's possible the perp may have gone home to a significant other or housemate (Bayley style), pretending to be an average guy, maybe with some story about getting into a fight at the pub to explain blood or any injuries, scratches etc.
I hope anyone with any doubt whatsoever about somebody they know contacts investigators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back