GUILTY Australia - Kylie Maybury, 6, abducted & murdered, Preston, Vic, 6 Nov 1984

A couple of reports I found on Trove....

Canberra Times from the day after Kylie's body was found....

ffbr7s.jpg

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/122527072?searchTerm= Kylie Maybury&searchLimits=

thank you. Certainly sounds like there was a pedo in the area trawling for little girls (little girls are targeted more so it's a good assumption that's who he was looking for).

Kyliethesun_zpsbede4b77.jpg

I wonder what Kylie was like as a person?
Being working class and living in a housing commission flat would have meant she didn't get much in the way of popular/fashionable little girl's toys and clothing. They probably only had one television set, possibly a black and white set like my working class family did at the same time. We couldn't afford a colour tv set.

A SERIAL pedophile deemed beyond rehabilitation is to be released from jail after a parole hearing.
Authorities have refused to release a picture of the man, John Edward Barnes, who has repeatedly drugged and molested children.
Barnes, a registered sex offender, has amassed 128 convictions -- many for child sex-related crimes -- in the past four decades.
He was jailed in 1994 on 14 counts of rape, indecently assaulting a minor and drugging a child for the purposes of penetration.
In 1999, after serving a five-year non-parole period for those crimes, he was released.
But Barnes was jailed again soon after when he breached one of his parole conditions.
http://www.mako.org.au/john_edward_barnes.html

the detectives at the time were right - a monster did this to Kylie, not a human being. I'm sure that working together, we can find that monster.

I was just reading over on the Michelle Buckingham thread that evidence in 40 cold cases were "thrown away" in 1994...........:notgood:

"Sadly in 1994, an inspector ordered the destruction of all exhibits," Detective Senior Sergeant Iddles told the court.

Fairfax Media understands all exhibits were being moved from police headquarters in Russell Street to a new storage facility in Collingwood.

In the process of moving the exhibits, a decision was made to destroy certain exhibits and potentially crucial evidence has been lost.

It is unclear what other cases have been affected.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...g-evidence-20141120-11qsln.html#ixzz3JkcUxKoT

I hope to heck Kylie's case was not one of them.

I had no idea about this. Poor Kylie- and her mum. I'm willing to help search through articles etc. This sicko needs to be named.

If Kylie's killer is one day caught and escapes justice just because the police destroyed the forensic evidence as a "space saving measure".... I will be very angry.

I can imagine how furious Ron Iddles was over it. From what I understand, he's not shy about letting his fellow police know when they've done wrong, either. Note how he identifies an "Inspector" as clearly at fault for the missing evidence in the Buckingham case, in msm and all.. Ron's become a real hero of mine. Pity he's gone from the cold cases/homicide now, his absence is a huge loss. I think the team he created have done pretty well since, though. No matter how much that Inspector might have put a spanner in the re-investigations...

Still haven't found the child rape prior to Kylie's in the area..

Hi Keyleigh, and :welcome: !! If you'd like to help, I'm searching for a child rape in the Northcote/Preston/Thornbury sort of general area just a few weeks before Kylie was taken. Sorry I can't be more specific, that's all I have to go on.

I've never heard of this little one before and I'm in melbourne!!! Granted I was 9 at the time but o remember when sheree Beasley went missing like yesterday. There really wasn't much media coverage I guess.

It seems to me like he just stopped his car and pushed her out into the gutter when he was done with her. This filthy scum that hide among us will never stop!!!!!

I really hope that time has made someone that knows something feel guilty enough to spill their guts!!!!

MOO!!

I doubt that he drugged and raped her in the car.
No... he held her prisoner at his house or at a place he knew was empty....

A rape by itself wouldn't cause those massive internal injuries unless he was full of rage - did Kylie overcome her drugged stupor enough to try and fight back or scream? Maybe that set him off?

I don't think he raped her in the car either. I think he was running out of time and needed to dispose of her fast.

MOO!!

Hiya MU, I was shocked as well to be in complete ignorance of this crime.

I think his doubling back to drop her at area already searched is really significant, and is what makes me think she was kept somewhere local, a house or a garage, somewhere private for a few hours...

Kylie didn't have any marks or wounds on her, iirc, aside from the terrible vaginal trauma. A man can do immense damage to a small girl, with just his own body let alone anything else... maybe there were items used... but I doubt she ever woke up enough to fight. I think she was killed because her usefulness was up (and I am not discounting *advertiser censored*, photo or home movie, as well as just a sick local pedo). And then perhaps local police searches making the killer nervous - she was dumped quickly and without ANY dignity at all - he did redress her though. They searched people's yards, when it was assumed she might just be lost...not inside homes however.

You're right, Ausgirl, I was tired and not realising that the size differential could inflict terrible damage too.

I'm thinking he made her pose sexually for pictures/*advertiser censored* too - why else keep her prisoner for several hours if he just wanted to rape her?

The drugging of her and keeping her for a time seems like the doings of someone in control. The dumping of her body feels rushed. I wonder if someone was due home and this perp had to leave and be back quick. It does make me think it's someone local. It's a public holiday, so no work normally and no school. Maybe a teenager or young adult????
She was such a cutie

MOO!!

No, it was an adult not a teenager. A teenager would not be three times Kylie's size or be able to inflict so much damage.

Again i agree with Ausgirl and think that he forced Kylie into sexual poses and positions for either a still or video camera. As i keep wondering "Why keep her for so many hours if he just wanted to rape her?"

But a (probably expensive) video camera in a working-class suburb like East Preston...?

Some teenagers can be quite large. Either way I hate knowing that this is unsolved and this person is out there in the same world as my kids!

MOO!!

I agree, MU, I don't think we can assume age. He may have been young (look at what Derek Percy was up to, age 21.. and younger) or he may well have been an older man. I hate that this horrible crime went unsolved, too... and there's women out there, with kids, who perhaps have known or even married a man like that. Let alone all the victims he could have accrued. Sickening, for sure.

Just a thought on her being fully clothed... though he dumped her like trash. I think this again (with the way she was dumped, so close to the gutter) indicates he had her in a vehicle - if anyone looked in they'd see a 'sleeping' child, not a naked one. In any case, he took the time to do that, but left her in the gutter and not in the large reserve just metres up the street from where she lay, with lots of places to conceal her there behind buildings and trees, etc. So I reckon he got a fright and panicked. Maybe a cop car went by....

I wish I had less than a million things to do this week. I want to search for that previous attack. And for other possible perps who used a "photographer" ruse.... though here's what bothers me about that:

The "photographer" was trawling for kids, hoping to find a mother naive enough to hand him hers, and this makes me doubt he was a full-on local - there's a huge chance he'd be recognised later if he lived in the area. He'd have to have stalked the family pretty closely though, to catch that one moment days later when Kylie was alone and vulnerable. He might have been that fixated on Kylie - but IMO it's more likely, from his behaviour, that Kylie's killer was living or staying locally and he snatched her from sheer opportunity.

I think it's worth looking for "photographers" anyway. Just cause I think something's likely, doesn't mean it happened that way. I think time might have allowed this killer to reveal more of himself via other crimes, other attempts.. no way did he stop with Kylie. He's out there somewhere, and sadly so are the rest of his victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back