Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

Why would a person climb onto the bonnet at all (moving or unmoving vehicle)?

Maybe because they were "pinned" and there was no other way out, other than going under the vehicle?

It seems that going over the bonnet may have been the only (or quickest) way to try to get to the door handle and try to open the driver's door. And if it was the quickest way, there likely was no quick way of running around to the driver's side of the vehicle without being run over.

Eg: if the ute was backing out of the carport, maybe the only ways to get to the driver's door were through a separate side gate (slower) or over the bonnet (quicker).

Probably what the police are trying to determine ... why did Melissa have to climb onto the bonnet?

imo

Last edited:
The side street is very narrow. IMO

And seems that people park very close to the fence in order to allow cars to be able to still drive down the road. JMO

Could she have been trying to get into the passenger side -at first - then the car started - but it was too tight so then decided to go over the bonnet instead?? MOO

For the security cameras in the totally other street to capture anything - then she was dragged under the car or on the bonnet for a fair way before arriving in the catchment of that camera. IMO.

In the video:-

It appears 2 vehicles could be accommodated in that carport. IMO

But not sure if that is where they regularly parked.IMO

Or if one person parked their car on the street? JMO

From the article:

According to the publication, it was around 8pm under clear skies when Hoskins jumped onto the bonnet of the ute and tried to grab the door handle in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

Dennis allegedly continued to drive until his wife fell off the ute. She was allegedly dragged some way down the road, the publication reports

Last edited:
I suppose RD will attend his wife's funeral in Perth?

Yes, you wouldn't think that dents like that would be left just by someone climbing on to the bonnet, would you? IMO anyway.
I saw dents similar to that on a car, but it was made by protesters who were angry, and tried to stop the car at an intersection---the guy jumped on the hood, was on his knees but then stood up and was jumping up and down angrily---

Can't imagine her doing that though....?

I am not excusing him ( Feel I am sticking out my neck here) but in my opinion in what could have happened)
Big major arguement between them , he goes to leave in car, Hoskins jumps on bonnet of Ute, it is to stop him from leaving while it is moving ( Those bonnet can dent easily, I know).
He kept driving not very fast, brakes suddenly to get Hoskins off the Bonnet, ( Very stupid Action, would been best if he not been driving, what ever the problem was)
Hoskins tumbles off onto road. He thought she was clear just, He wants to get away.( He should never done it, also stay put, to see if she is okay
(A)She is partly up when she grabs the Passenger Door Handle to get into Ute , instead of hitting the central locking , he speeds off.
Sudden speed can cause a suction where part of Hoskins lower body was trapped by the car, she dragged under Ute.
(I know this as a my Foster Family( who I am very close to, had lost a family member, many years ago. he had got off the back Ute while it was moving slowly then it revered up, he was too close to the back he was dragged back by the suction, smashed his head on the back was dragged under the Ute for some distance before being left on the road found four hours later(Country Road), his friend did not notice anything wrong, kept driving only to be informed by Police following morning.
(B) Melissa was still holding on to the Outside Passenger Door Handle, or actually got it open when he took off fast. Survival Instant would have kick in she held onto the door handle outside or inside being dragged along until she went under the car.
(C) Melissa was partly on the road ,when she grabbed the Door Handle he sped off , her lower body was caught on the lower part of the car.
IMO to be on the Bonnet of the Ute trying to open passenger door the distance is too far.

I am not excusing him ( Feel I am sticking out my neck here) but in my opinion in what could have happened)
Big major arguement between them , he goes to leave in car, Hoskins jumps on bonnet of Ute, it is to stop him from leaving while it is moving ( Those bonnet can dent easily, I know).
He kept driving not very fast, brakes suddenly to get Hoskins off the Bonnet, ( Very stupid Action, would been best if he not been driving, what ever the problem was)
Hoskins tumbles off onto road. He thought she was clear just, He wants to get away.( He should never done it, also stay put, to see if she is okay
(A)She is partly up when she grabs the Passenger Door Handle to get into Ute , instead of hitting the central locking , he speeds off.
Sudden speed can cause a suction where part of Hoskins lower body was trapped by the car, she dragged under Ute.
(I know this as a my Foster Family( who I am very close to, had lost a family member, many years ago. he had got off the back Ute while it was moving slowly then it revered up, he was too close to the back he was dragged back by the suction, smashed his head on the back was dragged under the Ute for some distance before being left on the road found four hours later(Country Road), his friend did not notice anything wrong, kept driving only to be informed by Police following morning.
(B) Melissa was still holding on to the Outside Passenger Door Handle, or actually got it open when he took off fast. Survival Instant would have kick in she held onto the door handle outside or inside being dragged along until she went under the car.
(C) Melissa was partly on the road ,when she grabbed the Door Handle he sped off , her lower body was caught on the lower part of the car.

IMO to be on the Bonnet of the Ute trying to open passenger door the distance is too far.

Great points. But Ms. Hoskins was an athlete. She may have had physical abilities that surpass us non-athletes. Not saying she had a larger reach than most people, but maybe she did get on the bonnet to try to grab the passenger door and she gave it her best shot. Maybe central locking was on or maybe, she just couldn’t reach the door as it was too far away.

It’s not rational really, to try to access a door that way, but in a state of fight or flight, people do irrational things.

IMO

This is all just conjecture because I haven’t seen the CCTV.

Last edited:
Why would a person climb onto the bonnet at all (moving or unmoving vehicle)?
Maybe to stop a loved one from leaving?

What if the loved one was going to do something dangerous and one was desperate to save them from going on that journey?

Just speculating.
Maybe because they were "pinned" and there was no other way out, other than going under the vehicle?

It seems that going over the bonnet may have been the only (or quickest) way to try to get to the door handle and try to open the driver's door.

Yes, I agree.
And if it was the quickest way, there likely was no quick way of running around to the driver's side of the vehicle without being run over.

Eg: if the ute was backing out of the carport, maybe the only ways to get to the driver's door were through a separate side gate (slower) or over the bonnet (quicker).

Probably what the police are trying to determine ... why did Melissa have to climb onto the bonnet?

imo

Credit: Candace Sutton / Daily Mail

The 32-year-old female cycling pursuit champion died on December 30 when Dennis's Volkswagen Amarok ute allegedly struck her near their $2.45m home in the wealthy northern Adelaide suburb of Medindie.

Ms Hoskins was taken to hospital but could not be saved, and South Australian police charged Dennis with dangerous driving causing death, driving without due care, and endangering life.

The couple had been due to be the faces of the Tour Down Under's family ride on January 13 through the Adelaide CBD.

But after Dennis - himself a Tour Down Under winner and international time trial champion - was granted police bail until his March 13 court date, he was scratched from the tournament, Adelaide's premier annual cycling event.

Cyclist Rohan Dennis's stunning prediction for 2024 is sadly over

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back