GUILTY Australia - Michelle Buckingham, 16, murdered, Shepparton, Vic, 21 Oct 1983

Very weird!!!

'pending further inquiries..' - I wonder if that means they know the men were involved, but haven't got enough to hold them on yet??

Any legal eagles know what that might be about? TIA

Brilliant news huh Ausgirl!!! I think police will get to laying charges in good time. They wouldn't have come this far without making darn sure they had enough evidence to lay those charges on the three arrested.

Very weird!!!

'pending further inquiries..' - I wonder if that means they know the men were involved, but haven't got enough to hold them on yet??

Any legal eagles know what that might be about? TIA

It sounds you were personally connected with Michelle, I pray justice is served for you, family and friends. Your wish is coming true sweetheart. Sweet justice for you all.

I've just caught up and read all the links etc. it's so sad, hugs to you Ausgirl as you seem to have a connection here xo
I'm so glad that they've arrested 3 people, were they actually charged or just questioned? Either way, it's sounding like justice will be done for sweet Michelle. RIP gorgeous girl.

I have calculated that one of the 'alleged'' was 16 at the time of the crime. Looking at other cold cases in Australia on WS they come forward when the are mature enough to process what they have seen.

Moo

Great news on this case - hadn't heard about it before. Wonderful when cold cases progress like this.

When I first saw today's posts, it made me flash back to a murder I think I might have seen on Australia's Most Wanted many years ago. Anyone remember what this case was - all I can remember was a girl (guessing she was maybe mid to late teens?) went to a party at a home, I think with members of her family. For some reason she left early on her own, I think to walk home by herself. She was found by the side of a road - maybe it was near a small bridge? Her body was found just off the road I think with a slight embankment. I tried searching but can't remember enough details to find it. It was just interesting that her death popped into my mind when I was reading about Michelle. Anyone remember this case and can put me out of my curiousity misery (can't even remember what state it was in but it was definitely in Australia).

Thanks, guys, for looking in and kind words - and Marly, I hope so. I just really hope so. :heart: Also KG1 for the info on arrests - it's weird, but I know more about the law in some states of the US than I do about my own.. something I really ought to amend, one of these days.

I did know Michelle. We weren't close friends, but I rode the bus with her every day, and she was .. well, she was a really special person. Best and biggest smile ever, and such a good sense of humour, very kind. I envied her easy going personality. We knew quite a few people in common. In fact, I know a few of the people connected to this case... But that was a very long time ago. I was around when she was murdered, but tbh I think I did my best to block it out. It was too horrible. Too close to home. Like, I finally had a life that was safe - and suddenly it wasn't safe, for any of us, maybe...

For some reason, I always picture her wearing a thin choker necklace of some sort, but I don't know if that's a real memory or not.. funny how memory is, after 30 years.

And tbh, I'm actually a bit scared that one or more of these men who've been arrested are people I knew back then...

Anyway. It's been an emotional day, and I hope Michelle's family are all okay after hearing this, it's been a long hard road for them, and her friends from back in the day. I hope it's not much longer before her murder is solved, and whatever closure that might bring.

Great news on this case - hadn't heard about it before. Wonderful when cold cases progress like this.

When I first saw today's posts, it made me flash back to a murder I think I might have seen on Australia's Most Wanted many years ago. Anyone remember what this case was - all I can remember was a girl (guessing she was maybe mid to late teens?) went to a party at a home, I think with members of her family. For some reason she left early on her own, I think to walk home by herself. She was found by the side of a road - maybe it was near a small bridge? Her body was found just off the road I think with a slight embankment. I tried searching but can't remember enough details to find it. It was just interesting that her death popped into my mind when I was reading about Michelle. Anyone remember this case and can put me out of my curiousity misery (can't even remember what state it was in but it was definitely in Australia).

Do any of these ring a bell Strangeworld??...there's quite a few unsolved cases listed here...

Australian Unsolved Crimes

http://www.mako.org.au/unsolvedcrimes.html

Thanks for the link Marly. None seem to match unfortunately. I just have this vivid image of the reenactment - she left by walking down the front stairs where this party was. I think she may have argued with her father but I can't be sure. Something happened on the way home and she was found dead on the side of the road. I'm also thinking that her body was just out of sight from the road. I wish I knew at least the state. I don't even know if it was solved or not. Oh well - just curious because it was a sad case.

Jenelle.. you're a treasure, thanks so much. It's good to know my memory's not as bad as I sometimes think it is. :D

From the article you linked:

"We continue on and the investigation is not finished," Detective Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles said.

"To some extent interviewing suspects is only the start of it."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...case-murder-20131127-2yan0.html#ixzz2lyFCf5Qj

What I am surmising from this is - maybe someone id'd the car she was seen getting into, then they've worked out who owned it and who he knocked around with on weekends, and that's the three who were arrested.....

... and now they need some hard evidence to put 'em away. Or one to roll on the others. But at least they have some solid leads, after all these years. :)

Now a reinvestigation by police has cleared Gleadhill and unearthed new suspects. According to Detective Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles, who reopened the case more than a year ago, Gleadhill is in the clear. Iddles has said, ''I am confident that we now know the names of the real killers.''

''It is vitally important that we speak to anyone who saw a green 1973 or 1974 HQ Holden sedan in the Shepparton area around the time of Michelle's disappearance,'' he said. ''We also believe one or more of the suspects will have made some form of admissions to friends or family since the murder.''

###

So what happened? A group of men, probably three, who knew Michelle saw her walking along the road and offered her a lift - possibly in the green Holden. Whether she went with them voluntarily or was abducted is not known but she was driven about four kilometres and sexually assaulted.

What is known is that one of the suspects left town days after Michelle disappeared and before her body was found. Another left Shepparton shortly after the murder, never to return.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...ime-suspect-20131129-2ygw8.html#ixzz2mDFIDS1G

A nice piece on Ron Iddles, in the wake of that BS furore over the Jill Meagher pic:

The stories of his commitment to doing the right thing are legendary within the force.

In the 1980s, when Det Sen-Sgt Iddles was forging a name in the crime squads, he suddenly quit.

He believed there was a rat in the ranks and he wouldn't stand for it.

When the officer he believed was responsible was cleared after an internal hearing, Det Sen-Sgt Iddles resigned on principle.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...-victoria-police/story-fni0ffsx-1226770565450

This man is a TRUE hero in my eyes. :heart:

A nice piece on Ron Iddles, in the wake of that BS furore over the Jill Meagher pic:

The stories of his commitment to doing the right thing are legendary within the force.
:fence:
In the 1980s, when Det Sen-Sgt Iddles was forging a name in the crime squads, he suddenly quit.

He believed there was a rat in the ranks and he wouldn't stand for it.

When the officer he believed was responsible was cleared after an internal hearing, Det Sen-Sgt Iddles resigned on principle.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...-victoria-police/story-fni0ffsx-1226770565450

This man is a TRUE hero in my eyes. :heart:
I read that Tom Meagher is giving his full support to Sen.Set. Iddles . With Tom and Jill's family giving him their full support that should put the lid on it. They are the only ones that be effected by this and they are not. In my opinion it is a storm in a tea cup put out by the media for a story.

Nothing on Michelle's case in the media. I hope it is still being worked on after giving hope to her family that it may be solved.

Ot I see Tom Meagher has come out giving Sen. Sgt .Iddles his full support. With the support from Jill's family as well that should put the lid on it. A beat up story put out by the media.

Nothing on Michelle's case in the media. I hope it is still being worked on after giving hope to her family that it may be solved.

Ot I see Tom Meagher has come out giving Sen. Sgt .Iddles his full support. With the support from Jill's family as well that should put the lid on it. A beat up story put out by the media.

Thanks, Marg for checking on Michelle. I have every confidence in our cold case unit -- did you see where they said they know who the killers are? (ie, they know those three WERE the murderers) I think it's just a matter of breaking them down now, for a confession, and/or some solid evidence for a proper arrest.

And yeah - it's pretty scummy to scrape up a story like that, IMO. I'm glad Tom Meagher had Ron's back. Both decent blokes!

Strangeworld, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of an episode of Forensic Investigators which featured Janet Phillips - I remember that episode ( and re-enactment ) quite clearly too. I'm not sure particularly why, but I do. Hope that helps!

It's great to see justice progressing for Michelle too. I follow a missing persons group on Facebook which has posted about her in the past, so it's wonderful to see this case gain traction recently. It will interesting to see what happens next.

Ah finally delurked! Great to get it over and done with :)

Hi VCgirl2, and :welcome:

Glad you de-lurked, and looking forward to your posts.

Oh -- I forgot to mention.. my cousin popped over the other day, just after the news of the arrests, and asked me if I'd seen the news about Michelle. He was really excited to see progress being made. :)

We had a bit of a conversation about the case, and he said it was a shocker to him that the green car was only now an issue -- since he recalled us talking about it, back when the crime happened. I didn't remember that, actually, but then I have burned a lot of brain cells in the past 30 years, lol. Anyway, that's how long the green car lead has been around.

I wonder if the car led to the recent arrests, and if so whether that tip came in recently due to the info being re-issued to the media....

Hi Ausgirl

Back 30 years ago there would not have been too many cars of that description in shepparton.
I wonder how much they checked it out then. Wonder if the owner was someone from a family well known in the community at that time. Wouldn't be the first time an investigation went nowhere because of family connections. Just my thoughts going in other directions. And just my opinion.
My brain is water logged from all the rain, hail and lightening today. Had to drive to Toorak this afternoon. Monash freeway bumper to bumper and visibility about nil. But I made it back. Just!

Strangeworld, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of an episode of Forensic Investigators which featured Janet Phillips - I remember that episode ( and re-enactment ) quite clearly too. I'm not sure particularly why, but I do. Hope that helps!

It's great to see justice progressing for Michelle too. I follow a missing persons group on Facebook which has posted about her in the past, so it's wonderful to see this case gain traction recently. It will interesting to see what happens next.

Ah finally delurked! Great to get it over and done with :)

Sorry everyone (in particular Ausgirl) for hijacking this thread but I have to say welcome and a big thankyou to VCgirl for the Janet Phillips info. That is the one I was thinking of!! I guess it must have stuck in my mind because it was in Brisbane and also Janet was a very distinctive girl. In case anyone else is interested, here's the episode on youtube (thanks again VC girl):

Forensic Investigators - Janet Philips Part 1 - YouTube

Forensic Investigators - Janet Philips Part 2 - YouTube

Forensic Investigators - Janet Philips Part 3 - YouTube

Forensic Investigators - Janet Philips Part 4 - YouTube

Forensic Investigators - Janet Philips Part 5 - YouTube

And here's her killer:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...in-jail-for-life/story-e6freon6-1226035327416

'
NOTORIOUS serial rapist and murderer Lloyd Clark Fletcher today indicated to a court he was content to stay in jail for the rest of his life.

Fletcher has two places in Queensland legal and criminal history after he was sentenced to an indefinite sentence - life without the possibility of parole - in 1998.

He was the one of the first murderers convicted in Australia through the use of DNA and he was also the first prisoner in Queensland sentenced to an indefinte jail term.'

'In 1998 , Fletcher was jailed life for the murder of Manly schoolgirl Janet Phillips but some months later he was sentenced to an indefinite sentence for attacking a teenager at Wynnum railway station.

It was only after DNA samples were taken from Fletcher for the railway station attack that he was matched with samples from the Phillips murder site 10 years earlier.'

Strangeworld, I am so glad VCgirl was able to help you with that case! Isn't WS awesome that way? :) I have the feeling I've read that news report before somewhere -- is there a thread here for Janet?

Hi Ausgirl

Back 30 years ago there would not have been too many cars of that description in shepparton.
I wonder how much they checked it out then. Wonder if the owner was someone from a family well known in the community at that time. Wouldn't be the first time an investigation went nowhere because of family connections. Just my thoughts going in other directions. And just my opinion.
My brain is water logged from all the rain, hail and lightening today. Had to drive to Toorak this afternoon. Monash freeway bumper to bumper and visibility about nil. But I made it back. Just!

Marg, I do not envy you being out in that. Me, I was IN, lol. With the cats and a blanky draped over me, and the heater on, all of us on the couch watching The Killing episodes, lol. Hope you're somewhere warm now!

Good thoughts on the car -- and you know, my dicky memory has me having an awful feeling I know that green car from somewhere.. but I just can't be sure about that. For sure, green wasn't THE most popular colour, but there were a couple of darkish green ones about, can't recall the models. It looks like the type of car that would be burning laps around the lake on a Saturday night. We were all revheads or the gf's of them, back then, so we paid attention to who and what was driving around, but like I said, I can't be sure it's a real memory of a Holden like that, in that shade.

I reckon 30 years and a lot of distance between would make people less afraid to come forward. And yeah.. I can think of a few 'well-connected' kids who got away with (I'm not saying 'murder' but..) a LOT of stuff in that area. I'm on the edge of my seat for some --names-- and faces.. And proper arrests, ofc!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back