Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Victorian campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill had 'loving, caring' relationship, murder trial of Greg Lynn hears​

JMO, I think the emphasis on the long-term, loving comittment of the victims is to build compassion for them, preventing any jury members who are outraged by infidelity from, therefore, 'excusing' the defendent's actions.

JMO, but RH's spouse would have been briefed and well-prepared for this strategy, she wouldn't be hearing it for the first time.

Also, just my opinion, but if RH complained a lot about his wife, that was possibly to stave off his own feelings of guilt. If he hadn't felt guilty, he wouldn't be dwelling on her in his thoughts. Perhaps his spouse knows that, too, but it's pretty subtle for most people.

JMO

I simply do not believe his version of how Carol and Russell were killed and I don’t think the jury will either.
I agree. The problem with going to the nth degree to cover something up, is no one should believe such a person will suddenly start being 'honest' after they've been caught. Obviously, this is still an attempt to cover up.

JMO

Not surprising GL is running with this defence. It was really his only option. I dont believe it one bit, BUT if his version of events are somewhat true, and CC was accidentally shot, I could imagine RH shock would have been significant, on top of the realization of the fact people were going to uncover their relationship on top of the fact CC had just been shot dead. Hard to imagine your reaction when on a camping trip with a lover that very few know about).

Also not sure why you would immediately return to your campsite if you had accidentally shot someone dead.

What type of firearms were they? I think some have mentioned a shotgun which, given the type of shot frequently used in the cartridge, would make a horrible mess of anything at close quarters.

"Mr Porceddu told the jury cranial bone fragments discovered at the scene allegedly support the theory Ms Clay was shot in the head with a 12-gauge shotgun." Link

Back in Nov 2021, the police raided GL's home and seized a whole bunch of weapons.

"Weapons allegedly seized from Mr Lynn’s home include a semiautomatic pistol, two Ruger revolvers, a Winchester semiautomatic rifle, two 12-gauge shotguns, two lever-action rifles, 23 knives, two swords, two hatchets, a pickaxe and “numerous” metal cases of ammunition."

If Hill was indeed stabbed it does tend to support Lynnes story of an altercation that started everything. The head shot to his wife being an accident is really stretching things though. With that in mind I think its actually also a bit of a stretch a airline captain out on a camping trip suddenly turned into a cold blooded murderer and executed a female witness. Its quite an extreme escalation.

If Hill was indeed stabbed it does tend to support Lynnes story of an altercation that started everything. The head shot to his wife being an accident is really stretching things though. With that in mind I think its actually also a bit of a stretch an airline captain out on a camping trip suddenly turned into a cold blooded murderer and executed a female witness. Its quite an extreme escalation.
Isn’t Lynn also claiming that CC was killed by a bullet ricocheting off the side mirror of the car and RH by falling on the knife during a struggle?

(paraphrased)

Defence case is that Hill confronted Lynn for hunting deer too close to their camp and that Lynn’s gun discharged, killing Mrs Clay as the men fought.

Allegedly Hill then came at Lynn with a knife but Hill died after falling on it during a scuffle and that Lynn admits to taking the drone and the couple’s phones, later disposing of them.

I feel this is not a clear cut case. GL had absolutely nothing to achieve by killing RH & CC. What does give weight to the theory of a confrontation occurring is the fact that the campsite of RH & CC was always going to leave evidence of a confrontation occurring. Pilots are intelligent and good under pressure. Hence, why would GL go to the campsite of RH & CC with a loaded gun. If a unanimous verdict is required I am suggesting GL will be found not guilty.

Pilots are intelligent and good under pressure.

... according to his wife’s family, behind closed doors he was a dominating figure. One family member contacted police during the marriage to make (unproven) allegations of family violence. It is not known if police acted on the complaints.

I feel this is not a clear cut case. GL had absolutely nothing to achieve by killing RH & CC. What does give weight to the theory of a confrontation occurring is the fact that the campsite of RH & CC was always going to leave evidence of a confrontation occurring. Pilots are intelligent and good under pressure. Hence, why would GL go to the campsite of RH & CC with a loaded gun. If a unanimous verdict is required I am suggesting GL will be found not guilty.

The jury have the option of finding him guilty of manslaughter. Which, I think, will likely happen if they feel any reasonable doubt about a double murder.

It really seems like such a stretch for two people to be killed by "accident" in the space of probably a minute or two.
One from a ricochet and the other by falling on his own knife.

What are the chances of Russell falling on his own knife in such a manner that it quickly killed him? Didn't maim him, but killed him. Right after (GL's story) Carol was killed by a stray 12 gauge slug.

imo

Last edited:

Personally, I'm not seeing someone that is good under pressure. Actions like turning your music up in order to annoy someone is hardly keeping a cool head. Fairly childish really.

It's becoming less clear to me.

I think that is probably because it didn't happen in the manner in which GL is portraying.

I think it is possible that Russell was hurt in a confrontation ... then GL irrationally decided that no-one was around, he didn't want to lose his job for a grievous assault, so he killed Russell and then killed the witness (Carol).

Opinion subject to alter as more evidence comes out.

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173
Back