Australia Australia - Tanja Ebert, 23, Roseworthy, SA, 8 Aug 2017

I live in Adelaide and only just heard about this today.
I'm shocked that he killed himself and that he did it with sapol there, and it's concerning that Tanja hasn't been found yet
Those poor kids now have no parents :-(

They're property is 410 square kilometres, an almost inconceivable amount of land for police to search.

Police search area 'a massive task'

Detective Superintendent Bray said police would continue to search the couple's property.
"Major Crime will recommence the investigations at the property and conduct searches today of the homestead, buildings and vehicles in proximity and continue with the forensic examination," he said.
"At the same time, we have detectives in Adelaide conducting inquiries across the state in relation to information that's come in since the publicity.
"We will be planning for an extensive search. We have a massive task ahead of us, the property is 410 square kilometres."
He said there were no other persons of interest in the case.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...r-suspected-murder-victim-tanja-ebert/8815332

What terrible misery was going on at that sheep station?.......is it possible that cessation of love can be the cause of such despair and extreme despondency?

A horrible outcome and what an horrific experience for the SA Pol members attending, nothing is said about any sort of siege situation, ... you'd have to conclude that Mr Burdon was expecting the police and made his own arrangements to deal with that eventuality.. he would hardly have been caught by surprise by police visiting at that time, and no doubt the SA Pol let him know they were coming, it's a long way for the police to travel in an emergency unless they are sure he is home..

I was shocked this morning .... sometimes things happen that one isn't prepared for, even though you know people do mad, frightful things... for those little boys, how truly terrifying.

Such a huge property, and he had a long time to hide her if he killed her at home (which is the most likely possibility, don't you think?). Not to mention all the detours he could have taken to hide her if it happened on the way back to home. There is some desolate country out there. I hope she is found soon, but I won't hold my breath :(

My opinion is that Tanja threatened to leave and take the little boys with her back to Germany or away from him, and that was the trigger for whatever happened next. She must have felt very isolated so young and so far from family and "civilization", and who knows, he might have been controlling/angry/violent. A hard life for a girl from Germany, with a terribly sad, premature ending.

I think that there must have been some physical evidence for them to conclude that she was murdered so quickly in the event of her disappearance.

Such a huge property, and he had a long time to hide her if he killed her at home (which is the most likely possibility, don't you think?). Not to mention all the detours he could have taken to hide her if it happened on the way back to home. There is some desolate country out there. I hope she is found soon, but I won't hold my breath :(

My opinion is that Tanja threatened to leave and take the little boys with her back to Germany or away from him, and that was the trigger for whatever happened next. She must have felt very isolated so young and so far from family and "civilization", and who knows, he might have been controlling/angry/violent. A hard life for a girl from Germany, with a terribly sad, premature ending.

makes sense to me... the bit about her leaving the car, without her children or her passport and with a lot of cash has all the tired air of a post event explanation. Leaving with cash, which is meant to convey travel, or some destination in mind requiring costs etc.... ..

The fact that he still has her passport conveys to me that he didn't think it thru and was winging it , even though some days had passed.... I am curious to know what prompted the 'relative' to contact the police. Some catalyst... some stray , jarring word from the husband when she/he rang, perhaps...

I wonder if he had been married before. I wonder what his life had been like on that station before his marriage.,.......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...r-suspected-murder-victim-tanja-ebert/8815332

Detective Superintendent Des Bray said police had earlier interviewed Mr Burdon and remained at the home with him and other members of the family to search the property.

"Michael was not under arrest at the time and this point in time, there is no evidence to prove that Michael was responsible for the murder and we continue to work to prove who is responsible for this murder," he said.

"During the course of the afternoon police momentarily lost sight of Michael and then very shortly after heard a muffled gunshot.

"They commenced an immediate search calling out to him and a few minutes later found him deceased a short distance from the home.

"We are investigating Michael and obviously Michael is a suspect."

someone in the SA Pol is in deep deep trouble for 'losing sight of him momentarily',..

Detective Superintendent Des Bray said police had earlier interviewed Mr Burdon and remained at the home with him and other members of the family to search the property.

"Michael was not under arrest at the time and this point in time, there is no evidence to prove that Michael was responsible for the murder and we continue to work to prove who is responsible for this murder," he said.

"During the course of the afternoon police momentarily lost sight of Michael and then very shortly after heard a muffled gunshot.

"They commenced an immediate search calling out to him and a few minutes later found him deceased a short distance from the home.

"We are investigating Michael and obviously Michael is a suspect."

someone in the SA Pol is in deep deep trouble for 'losing sight of him momentarily',..

If he wasn't under arrest, they could not stop him from going off by himself for a few minutes, could they?

If he wasn't under arrest, they could not stop him from going off by himself for a few minutes, could they?

they could certainly , under the circumstances foresee the possibility and not 'let him out of their sight'... if that meant following him, or requesting him to stay put, that's how it is....now.. if he made a run for it after that request, instant grounds for arrest. Which would have definitely kept him 'within sight'......

Obviously, he had his rifle hidden, loaded, and ready. . not an unplanned suicide at all. When he strolled away, he was obviously not armed... even so... keeping him within sight surely could have been a priority. so , yep... someone is in big trouble, , I reckon.

the unusual thing about this , to me, is... once having been notified of Tanja's absence, by a relative ( and I got the idea that the relative rang from Germany) the police seem to have immediately suspected murder. Straight off the bat. Maybe it was something the relative said, or something Burdon said when the police would have rung him, just to find out where he actually was... something made the police jump to the murder outcome right off...

the unusual thing about this , to me, is... once having been notified of Tanja's absence, by a relative ( and I got the idea that the relative rang from Germany) the police seem to have immediately suspected murder. Straight off the bat. Maybe it was something the relative said, or something Burdon said when the police would have rung him, just to find out where he actually was... something made the police jump to the murder outcome right off...

I've been pondering this as well. I feel she may have been on alert and notified a relative/friend that if she wasn't contactable for xx days they should notify authorities.
My heart goes out to those poor little boys, missing both parents. I wonder if the 3 year old is too young for LE to discuss when he last saw mummy. It seems so tragic that Tanja may never been found.

In this article Police are stating they are no longer searching Roseworthy but focusing on the farm starting with the home and working their way out. An air and land search will commence Friday.

"We think the best chance of finding Tanja is to conduct a comprehensive search of the property, but realistically it is a massive task, and we will do our best to find her but certainty there are no guarantees."

Earlier in the day he said detectives in Adelaide were conducting inquiries across the state in relation to information that had been passed onto police.

In this article Police are stating they are no longer searching Roseworthy but focusing on the farm starting with the home and working their way out. An air and land search will commence Friday.

"We think the best chance of finding Tanja is to conduct a comprehensive search of the property, but realistically it is a massive task, and we will do our best to find her but certainty there are no guarantees."

edited by me .

And with this it appears the SA Pol have decided to reject most or probably all of what Burdon told them, the 'agitation', the 'cash' , the exiting the car , alone, at Roseworthy, all of that dispensed with and the farm being the place to search. There must be a reason why this story was discarded by police so quickly. ....

Tanja was only 23, he was 41 and two babies. I'd like to know how they met and how long they knew each other. Being German the isolated farm life is a far cry from the busseling lifestyle she left.
Was it an online relationship and was she homesick?
Times get tough on the land with droughts and if you are not used to the isolation it can be difficult.
The is a high rate of farmers who suicide because of the stress of running a farm, theirs was a big farm and from photos on MSM it appears to be desolate.
I wonder if he had depression as many farmers can. How many recently have murdered their family and then suicided.

IMO it's a miracle he didn't have the chance to murder his two babies before he took his life like so many have.

Damien Little drove off the wharf at Port Lincoln murdering his two young boys who were found with gunshot wounds. The absolute selfish act leaving his wife Melissa to mourn the deaths.
Damien was a farmer suffering depression but would not accept help.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-08/little-family/7076896

Have a look at how dry and desolate the land is behind the 'happy, smiling couple'.

Yunta is on the Barrier Highway south west of Broken Hill.

A bloody harsh life.

Yunta village facilities include a hotel offering meals and accommodation, two roadhouses (one with caravan sites), two fuel stations, post office, Rural Transaction Centre offering internet access, police station, air strip and a primary school. A rest area with public toilets is located opposite the hotel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunta,_South_Australia

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 116
She would have been only nineteen when she met him and he was a lot older than her. I know that that is not terribly unusual but there is sometimes some control issues going on when men seek out much younger women. To say nothing of the fact that she has two children at 23 and now she is dead and it seems he has murdered her. I bet he has a bit of domestic violence in his history.

The children were at the property at the time but not hurt and then they were driven away afterwards by "family members" in a white station wagon.

The only information I can find on "him" is that he has 1,500 points in an australia wide archery competition (927th) in the "recurve" division..i have no idea what recurve is.

The way "family members" is highlighted intrigues me.
I wonder if there were more people living on the station, more than one house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back