Australia Australia - Tanja Ebert, 23, Roseworthy, SA, 8 Aug 2017

I think she'd probably booked a flight, and when she didn't arrive the relative reported her missing.

Tanja was only 23, he was 41 and two babies. I'd like to know how they met and how long they knew each other. Being German the isolated farm life is a far cry from the busseling lifestyle she left.
Was it an online relationship and was she homesick?
Times get tough on the land with droughts and if you are not used to the isolation it can be difficult.
The is a high rate of farmers who suicide because of the stress of running a farm, theirs was a big farm and from photos on MSM it appears to be desolate.
I wonder if he had depression as many farmers can. How many recently have murdered their family and then suicided.

WHEN Tanya Ebert left her native Germany for a year-long Australian adventure, settling down was probably the furthest thing from the teenager’s mind.

Ms Ebert, then just 19, found herself in South Australian’s mid-north pastoral district, where she picked up casual work at a local pub to fund her travels.
One day she crossed paths with Michael Burdon, a handsome farmer almost two decades her senior, and her life changed forever.
Friends say the attraction was instant — and mutual.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cri...d/news-story/04ec96d912c51dba912af820c43eadb8

[h=1]Tanja Ebert murder: Her smile hid secret pain of unhappiness[/h]
TANJA Ebert was on a trip of a lifetime, an idealistic teenager enjoying a gap year Down Under after completing her education in her native Germany.

As she travelled around Australia in 2012, aged 19, she ended up in the South Australian Mid-North pastoral district, and a local pub, earning money to fund her travels.
It was here she met her future farmer husband Michael Peter Burdon, 18 years her senior.
Friends told The Advertiser how the pair “courted” for a time before marriage. Mr Burdon worked on the family’s arid and isolated 400sq km sheep station, about 100km west of the South Australia-New South Wales border.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s/news-story/73d8293c2bee27cf19842162cc9b4cc9

Sadly, her “cherished” father-in-law, Peter Leslie Burdon, 68, died on the station on April 3, 2014, shortly before the oldest boy was born.

Michael Burdon became the sole owner of Oulnina Park — once part of George Brooks empire, one of South Australia’s pioneering pastoralists.

He and Ms Ebert’s relationship culminated in a wedding on the family property in February this year.

........she told her husband she didn’t want to return home.
.........she had “expressed unhappiness in her married life”
Just six months after their dream wedding, it now appears both have died in unthinkable circumstances.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...s/news-story/73d8293c2bee27cf19842162cc9b4cc9

I wonder if she was meant to go back to Germany for her friend's wedding. Her 'maid of honour' was married last weekend.

My appologies about the photo. The background isn't parched land, they are pavers!
(I'm laughing at my self DOH).

Have a look at how dry and desolate the land is behind the 'happy, smiling couple'.

Yunta is on the Barrier Highway south west of Broken Hill.

A bloody harsh life.

Yunta village facilities include a hotel offering meals and accommodation, two roadhouses (one with caravan sites), two fuel stations, post office, Rural Transaction Centre offering internet access, police station, air strip and a primary school. A rest area with public toilets is located opposite the hotel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunta,_South_Australia

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 103
I think she'd probably booked a flight, and when she didn't arrive the relative reported her missing.

So sad she couldn't attend her friend's wedding. He was worried she wouln't return so he didn't allow the children to go along and he wasn't in a position to look after the babies alone. Control? A rock and a hard place?

Its weird because yesterday I looked up Oulnina Park and everywhere I can find says it is owned by the Francis Family, particularly Maurice Francis

Its weird because yesterday I looked up Oulnina Park and everywhere I can find says it is owned by the Francis Family, particularly Maurice Francis

I noticed that & it confused me too potr.

I never had any indication from her or Michael that they were unhappy or under any sort of pressure other than the usual normal frustration that comes with parenthood. It’s just so sad,” Ms Lewis said.

The devoted mother, who police said may have been considering leaving Mr Burdon, was “an adoring mother” who was “extremely mature for her age”, Ms Lewis said.

The probable murder-suicide is not the first tragedy for the Burdon family. Michael’s brother Mark took his own life in May 1997, and his father Peter died after a brain tumour in April 2014.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...h/news-story/ab0abec8c32f51cfbe0886fda1e623eb

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 106
I never had any indication from her or Michael that they were unhappy or under any sort of pressure other than the usual normal frustration that comes with parenthood. It’s just so sad,” Ms Lewis said.

The devoted mother, who police said may have been considering leaving Mr Burdon, was “an adoring mother” who was “extremely mature for her age”, Ms Lewis said.

The probable murder-suicide is not the first tragedy for the Burdon family. Michael’s brother Mark took his own life in May 1997, and his father Peter died after a brain tumour in April 2014.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...h/news-story/ab0abec8c32f51cfbe0886fda1e623eb

and how uncanny is that?.. both brothers commit suicide...... the first brother (Mark) was the elder of the two, and when he did himself in, Michael became the heir apparent, inheriting the entire property outright when his father died in 2014.

I wonder if that was the reason for the delayed marriage... he wasn't sure about being legally obligated to sign over half his property to a young foreign woman , as in the event of divorce the property would have to be sold and divided ( it would be unlikely that he would have enough to buy her out ) . .. and perhaps she indicated that she may very well be leaving and divorcing him.

Terrible things happen on big farms when this happens, the farmer himself cant struggle up enough to pay out the ex wife's half, it may have been in the family for generations... it's not unheard of in every state in Australia... suddenly, the dissatisfied wife is missing, or dead, ..... . that's the story of a dairy farm near Shepparton, a beef farm near Marysville , sheep and wheat near Wagga.... and so on.

Kind of puts the elder brother's suicide back into a bit of focus... where was Michael when Mark killed himself?.. anywhere near?.. .

I dismiss the bit where it says ..'she didn't want to go home'... the husband says this to the police and I am not obligated to believe that, neither are you. The husband says she left the car at Roseworthy, too, with a bag of cash, I can ignore that as well. Anything he said to the police is up for disbelief in the light of his following actions...

That all means that now their oldest son - who is only three years old inherits the family property. I wonder who will work the property and keep it going while the 3 year old boy grows up and gets an education (and the younger 1 year old boy as well).

POLICE have zeroed in on a patch of freshly moved dirt close to the Oulnina Park homestead where they believe the body of young mother Tanja Ebert could be buried.

STAR Group officers with shovels, aided by police operating heavy farm machinery, began excavating the site on Friday morning where they hope to find the remains of Ms Ebert.

It's a small town & chins will wag but what do the people really know? Is there some history that needs to be told?

They were both very much in love, they’d had two beautiful children and I know that some are making it out like she didn’t know what she was getting herself into, but that was not the case,” she said of Ms Ebert. “She loved it up there and she was very mature for her age, and they had done amazing things up on that property.

People need to not jump to conclusions until we know how or why or what really happened.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...t/news-story/1d6baf30866beb9e06aa0b53e551e8a5

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4799440/Family-ask-police-lost-sight-Michael-Burdon-SA.html

The awful thing is, his own mother was there , at the home station, she had come up from the Eyre Peninsular to look after the babies ( I presume) and help her remaining son thru this trauma. Mum was there when the police were questioning him, then he moved out of sight but still in the house where his rifle was ready loaded, ( I presume ) and carefully hidden ( again, my presumption. )....

And the mother had no idea. ...

Ozazure wrote..'.Wish these men would just kill themselves first.'

I so agree, Oz..... it must have been the ultimate up yours to everyone that he kept her burial place his and only his secret.. . nothing for her mother and father, nothing even for his own only sons to remember of their mother, a lifetime legacy for those small boys to forever search for their mothers bones, to inter in a consecrated burial.

A sort of calculated cruelty.

There already has been, in the first shock of it all , the stuff about what a great guy he was. Loving dad, loving husband..... there will probably be lot more that to come. And like Geoff Hunt http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Riverina-NSW-8-Sept-2014&highlight=Geoff+Hunt there will be people who , in trying to understand it, find fault with the victim... she was 'young'.... she was 'fiesty'....stuff like this....
The fact is he is, and was, a killer. A murderer....

I realise women do not take need on a husbands name but still MSM is referring to Tanja as Ms Ebert, her maiden name and not Mrs Burden which shows she was a very strong liberated woman.

Hello Trooper, How uncanny is that ... Your entire post echos all my own thoughts .... to a T.
Both brothers commit suicide. Or are prematurely deceased. No details as to their demises.
Michael owns and is familiar with gun and possibly archery stuff.
Michael not pleading with Police and Social media for safe return of his "beloved wife."
Did he lose the plot when his father died?
PS I completely concur with your last paragraph regarding dismissing this and that, including the couple being so in love etc.
PPS What sort of person commits suicide when Police start to focus on missing wife?
PPPS That his children don't appear to deserve his considerations bespeaks much of Michael's personality type.

Hello Trooper, How uncanny is that ... Your entire post echos all my own thoughts .... to a T.
Both brothers commit suicide. Or are prematurely deceased. No details as to their demises.
Michael owns and is familiar with gun and possibly archery stuff.
Michael not pleading with Police and Social media for safe return of his "beloved wife."
Did he lose the plot when his father died?
PS I completely concur with your last paragraph regarding dismissing this and that, including the couple being so in love etc.
PPS What sort of person commits suicide when Police start to focus on missing wife?
PPPS That his children don't appear to deserve his considerations bespeaks much of Michael's personality type.

good evening, LB... good to crash into you again....

I suppose it could be claimed that there is a choice here of how Tanja died.... shooting by rifle or bow and arrow. For some reason, I don't see him as using his hands..... a clinical kind of bloke. It is reasonable to assume he murdered her then called Mum up..

I thought it might have been a relative in Germany who reported her missing, it certainly wasn't good ol' Micheal, but could it have been his Mum?... would she have done that?..

I found those CCTV pics from the museum very peculiar.... she appears to be cuddling a ( I think ) daschund puppy.....in the museum?.... could that be right????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back