AZ AZ - Dorothy Clitheroe, 14, Phoenix, 20 Sept 1973

Obviously Cortez Park has changed since 1973 (just checked it on Google), but still, the restrooms were probably out in the open. To disappear from there without anyone seeing is strange, condisering someone saw her going to the restrooms. Unless in 1973 the park had a lot of people and movement around, it was a Thursday though.

Be nice to know more about who last saw her and the circumstances.

Obviously Cortez Park has changed since 1973 (just checked it on Google), but still, the restrooms were probably out in the open. To disappear from there without anyone seeing is strange, condisering someone saw her going to the restrooms. Unless in 1973 the park had a lot of people and movement around, it was a Thursday though.

Be nice to know more about who last saw her and the circumstances.

I would imagine that there would not be a significant amount of change since then if the park was still there. Having said that the area around Cortez park has changed significantly. Back in 1973 it was considered the outskirts of town and not a lot of development was there however one huge project had just opened a few hundred yards away: Metro Center. Could she have been lured there by a friend and then something happened at the mall? What role, if any, did that mall play in her disappearance? What teenage girl would not be enticed by a mall, particularly a brand new one that was the biggest at the time? Then you have the canal right there. I am assuming it was checked. Could she have fallen in and been swept down stream? I would assume that if that happened her body would have been found later. So many questions.

As of yesterday, Dorothy has been missing for 47 years.

DClitheroe.jpg
DClitheroe1.jpg
DClitheroe2.jpg

Left and Center: Clitheroe, circa 1973; Right: Age-Progressed to 49 years old (circa 2009)

Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe
Missing since September 20, 1973 from Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona.
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: August 6, 1959
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 130 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown eyes; brown hair. Dorothy wears thick oval glasses which become dark in the sunlight.
    • Marks, Scars: She has pierced ears and a burn scar on one of her arms; she backed into a hot radiator and the name US Steel was imprinted onto her skin. The letter "U" may have been the only visible sign of the injury by 1973.
    • Clothing: She was last seen wearing a white tank top with a pattern of upside down multicolored teardrop shapes and Levi bell-bottom blue jeans with blue and white dotted material sewn in to make the pants wider at the bottom. It is unknown if she was wearing any jewelry when she disappeared.
    • Dentals: Not Available
    • DNA: Available in CODIS
Circumstances of Disappearance

Clitheroe was last seen was last seen walking toward the restrooms in Cortez Park located at 35th Avenue and Dunlap in Phoenix, Arizona in 1973. She may have traveled to Portland, Oregon or Houston, Texas.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Phoenix Police Department
602-262-6141

NCMEC #: NCMC942383
Agency Case Number: 73076999
NCIC Number: M-872418694

Source Information
:
Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Phoenix Police
The Doe Network: Case File 932DFAZ

Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe
dorothy_mildred_clitheroe_1.jpg
clitheroe_dorothy2.jpg
clitheroe_dorothy3.jpg
dorothy_mildred_clitheroe_3.jpg

Dorothy, circa 1973; Age-progression to age 55 (circa 2014)

• Missing Since 09/20/1973
  • Missing From Phoenix, Arizona
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/06/1959 (61)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'4, 130 - 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white tank top with a multi-colored inverted teardrop design and blue Levi's bellbottom jeans with blue and white dotted material sewn in to widen the pant bottoms.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Dorothy's ears are pierced. She wore oval-shaped eyeglasses with thick lenses that darkened in sunlight. One of Dorothy's forearms was scarred prior to her disappearance; she backed into a hot radiator and the name "US Steel" was burned onto her skin. The letter "U" may have been the only visible sign of the injury by 1973.
Details of Disappearance

Dorothy was last seen walking towards the restrooms at Cortez Park at 35th Avenue and Dunlap in Phoenix, Arizona at 6:30 p.m. on September 20, 1973. She has never been heard from again. She may have traveled to Portland, Oregon or Houston, Texas.

Texas authorities are assisting with Dorothy's case. It remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Phoenix Police Department 602-262-6141
  • Texas Department of Public Safety 800-346-3243
Source Information

Happy Birthday Dorothy. I’m a day late, sorry. Where are you???

Who was with her in the park? What were they doing? I try to find something on newspapers, but there's nothing new. Why do they (still) believe she was a runaway? I find odd the accident story, I mean, it's possible to get burned by a radiator, of course, but... getting a scar of the letters US Steel takes time... May that not be an accident at all? If Dorothy suffered any kind of abuse, it would be logical to asume she tried to escape.

I found this possible match:
https:///wiki/Grimes_County_Jane_Doe
Maybe she has already been ruled out.

Last edited:
Next month will mark 50 years missing...

dorothy_mildred_clitheroe_1.jpg

Dorothy Mildred Clitheroe, age 14
Missing since 20 September 1973
from Phoenix, Arizona

Who was with her in the park? What were they doing? I try to find something on newspapers, but there's nothing new. Why do they (still) believe she was a runaway? I find odd the accident story, I mean, it's possible to get burned by a radiator, of course, but... getting a scar of the letters US Steel takes time... May that not be an accident at all? If Dorothy suffered any kind of abuse, it would be logical to asume she tried to escape.

I found this possible match:
Maybe she has already been ruled out.
I would be interested to know who she was with and who saw her last. Is there any information on her parents? I haven’t been able to find anything on them at all. Have any connections been made between her case and the Leslie sisters?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back