Found Deceased AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 *Arrest* #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
October 20, 2016 at 11:51 PM MST - Updated July 24 at 11:02 AM

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The mother who survived a hit-and-run on New Year's Eve in Tucson is pleading with the community to help find her daughter's killer.

The unsolved murder of 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez is getting national attention as her mother went on the Maury Povich show that aired on Thursday and met with a psychic.

"I'm heartbroken. My baby girl, why? They left her like that, like a piece of trash or something," Valerie Calonge said.

Tears spill out of Valerie Calonge's eyes she talks about the little girl she named Maribel. After just recovering from her own tragedy of being hit by a car and put in a coma, her daughter left for a friend's house and vanished.

Days later, on June 6, 2014, Maribel, was found murdered. According to Pima County Sheriff Deputies, her body was stripped of clothing and buried under two car tires in a desert area near Trico Road and West Avra Valley Road.
New insight on the unsolved murder of a teenage girl
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Detectives with the Pima County Sheriff's Department are reporting new information in the homicide of 13-year-old Maribel Gonzales.

Maribel was reported as a runaway on June 4, 2014 and her body was found in a desert area near Trico Road and Avra Valley Road a few days later.

According to a PCSD news release, on Wednesday, Oct. 25 2017 detectives went back to the desert area where her body was found and searched for possible evidence that would help lead to an arrest.

Celis went missing from her eastside home in April of 2012.

Investigators found her remains in a remote area of Pima County in 2017.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus could not release details about what led investigators to the remains of the young girl but did say they did not find them by "happenstance."

Remember when we Magnus said the above? Guess we will finally find out what he meant by that.

What do you think this means, "news conference is much bigger than it sounds"? <modsnipped against TOS>...
I don’t see why, as we don’t even know if he’s involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it interesting that Isabel's autopsy was done in March 2017 but was not released to msm until October 24, 2017.

On Oct. 25, 2017 LE returned to search the area where Maribel Gonzales' body was found (in 2014). I don't know if those dates being so close together means anything but it caught my eye since we now learn both were found in the same area and that they lived near each other.

Also, a 2015 article mentioned a necklace that Maribel was wearing when her body was found that her mom didn't recognize. Again I don't know if there's any significance to Isabel's case..
Autopsy report reveals little about death of Isabel Celis
New information prompts detectives to search desert where the body of a teen was found years ago
Crime Trackers: Detectives continue to search for Maribel Gonzales' killer

I found it interesting that Isabel's autopsy was done in March 2017 but was not released to msm until October 24, 2017. [bbm] [snip]
I believe your mistaken about March 2017 autopsy because unfortunately, the remains of Isabel were so limited, the Pima County Medical Examiner's Office could not match them to Isabel Celis based on the bones and dental records alone, and positive ID required DNA analysis by FBI Lab in Quantico, VA -- these results were not available until October 2017.

The remains were limited to a portion of her skull, and a small part of her pelvis, that were found among non-human bones.

This information was posted a few pages back.

Last edited:
TUCSON - The Tucson Police Department announced Friday, Sept. 14 that they will be holding a news conference Saturday morning at 10 a.m. to announce a major felony indictment.

[...]

Sources say it involves a major development in these cases.
[...]

We will be carrying Saturday's press conference live on air and on our Facebook page.
N4T Investigators: News conference links cases of two murdered Tucson children

<modsnipped to comply with 10% copyright rule.>
<copying whole article is a copyright infringement>

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe your mistaken about March 2017 autopsy because unfortunately, the remains of Isabel were so limited, the Pima County Medical Examiner's Office could not match them to Isabel Celis based on the bones and dental records alone, and positive ID required DNA analysis by FBI Lab in Quantico, VA -- these results were not available until October 2017.

The remains were limited to a portion of her skull, and a small part of her pelvis, that were found among non-human bones (i.e., no autopsy was possible).

This information was posted a few pages back.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was using the date on Isabel's autopsy report and didn't feel the need to go further into the subsequent DNA testing in my post since it's been thoroughly covered here. I was more interested in the date it was published in msm coinciding with the date LE re-visited the area where Maribel's body was found. It's significant IMO that these dates are all within days of each other.

But yes, you're correct. I apologize if I caused confusion.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was using the date on Isabel's autopsy report and didn't feel the need to go further into the subsequent DNA testing in my post since it's been thoroughly covered here. I was more interested in the date it was published in msm coinciding with the date LE re-visited the area where Maribel's body was found. It's significant IMO that these dates are all within days of each other.

But yes, you're correct. I apologize if I caused confusion.
I can't imagine the agony for this family -- knowing that just a piece of Isabel's pelvis and a portion of her skull were found in March 2017, and not enough to positively identify her. I'm anxious for the pc in 8 hours. Hope there's finally justice for these young girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX