AZ AZ - Pima Co., HispFem UP4923, 15-20, alias 'Maria Mendez Morales', Jun'08

The name in the card looks like Jesus Manuel.
The code in the back of the card (770) is a code for numbers from Morelos, so I think we're on the right track there.
I looked at all the Catholic churches in Cuernavaca and didn't find our address. Will continue looking.

I'm too shy to call the phone number in the card, but perhaps I should give it a try...

I can't seem to find 770 as a code in Mexico, I've checked http://www.itu.int/oth/T020200008A/en (guide of all area codes in Mexico, circa 2006), and 770 is not on there.

Also, there's an Elubia from Georgia on Facebook...

Okay, I have just done some more digging around and now I am really pretty sure that "Blvd Pino 16", is in the Benito Juarez neighbourhood of Altar, in Sonora state. It looks like there is a Benito Juarez neighbourhood in nearly every Mexican city, but Altar looks right because it is the ONLY one where there is a Bulevar Pino (boulevard), as opposed to a Calle, or anything else. Found from this link; http://www.isaf.gob.mx/Informes/Municipios/2002/Altar.pdf , from the city council or mayor of Altar, talking about construction works near Bulevar Pino, which is in the Benito Juarez area.

Unfortunately, this gives us really little to work with, because apparently Altar is a massive gateway for Mexican migrants coming into the US - in particular, via Arizona (if you google Altar Sonora, over half of the results are about this). To me this seems to be really, really likely to be the right place. If Pino 16 is in Altar, then the area code for it is 637, making the number 637-374-0886.

Here is a map of Altar with Blvd Pino highlighted in red http://www.llegalemapas.com/beta/1.5/?t=2&b=c34475 , it's a far more detailed and seemingly accurate map than Google Maps for the town.

For the heck of it, I googled "Maria Mendez Morales missing" and found a hit that interested me.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ar...nepage&q=Maria Mendez Morales missing&f=false

It's regarding a book called Mexizona. I started skimming through the book for the yellow highlights (the bits that matched my search result) and started reading around Chapter 3. The book has a girl named Maria Mendez Moralez and a boy named Diego Cruz. They first met in Altar, Mexico, she was passing through, and were urged by the local migrants to buy fake passports and pose as a married couple to get through the border into the US. There's a bit where it mentions her already wearing a ring from her fiance who's waiting back in Georgia. The fiance had worked up enough money to pay coyotes to get her through the desert.

They were posing as man and wife. Donald Rizzo, 19, and Mary Rizzo, 18, from Lincoln, Nebraska. The forger added a year to both of their ages, and they were wearing matching bright red t-shirts with bold, white lettering that said "GO BIG RED". In the book, she was a couple months or so pregnant.

Around Ch 7, a couple of guys began shooting at the coyotes and the group and ended up hitting Maria (to my knowledge, our JD wasn't shot, or pregnant for that matter). The group kept running for cover leaving Maria behind. She was still alive and hit in the leg when Diego did manage to go back to look for her. The guy that shot her was a kid named Arlen, who happened to be the nephew of the Pima County Sheriff.

By Ch 11 she had passed away in the desert, pale and cold. Judging by what I skimmed possibly due to a combination of blood loss and dehydration.

There wasn't much more about the character after that, and I couldn't view the entire book, only the beginning to the first page of Ch 18. The copyright is 2013 by Alan A. Larson. The book can be bought online as an ebook, which I just might do.
Amazon.com: Mexizona: An American Dream eBook: Alan A. Larson: Kindle Store
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mex...am-alan-a-larson/1115247862?ean=2940016785769
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17404081-mexizona---an-american-dream

/edit
I started more towards Ch 1 (they actually didn't go through the gate, they got close, but never made it through and ended up doing it the old fashioned way by sneaking out) and noticed something interesting that I had forgotten all about from the few times I've passed through Nogales. Video cameras. I wonder if LE had ever went through the border's video footage of people coming out of Mexico.

/edit 2
I should probably clarify that this book is supposedly a work of pure fiction. I can't find any details as to whether or not it's based on a true story.

Okay, so do you guys think the girl in the picture is the same Jane doe? Or do you think the image is stolen?

I personally think it's the same person, but that's just my opinion.

Also, has anybody checked with the author of Mexizona where she got the story? Does anybody know how?

I know it's been a while but I'd really like to help on this case. :scared:
I'm Mexican, and I can assure that the address is a very common one.
Also, there's no area code in Mexico such as 770
And about the other card (where "pastores" is written) I'd like to let you know, at least in Mexico, a "pastor" is only known in Christianity, not in Catholicism.
And the phone number may be incomplete, there are 3 numbers missing.

But I'm here to help and let me know if there's any updates on this case.

[excuse me for my grammar, please let me know about my mistakes] :blushing:

He's from Minnesota. I thought that If he was Mexican I could do some research because I have many friends who are journalists. I personally think that he's just very passionate about this topic, so he could be a very reliable source of information.

The word 'Mexizona' seems like a mix of Mexico and Arizona. My gut instinct tells me that the book and this a UID are somehow connected, whether the UID's identity was inspired by the book, or the book is linked to the case.

Also, it would be interesting to find out where the fake ID came from. There are lots of websites that sell fake IDs and her identification may be able to be traced back to it's source.

Also also, was her cause of death released?

This is what I have found about "Crow Hang Village" so far:

Its authentic name it's HAIVANA NAKYA. httphttps://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B000'19.0%22N+111%C2%B042'45.0%22W/@32.0083646,-111.7213271,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.005278!4d-111.7125

I searched "Crow Hang Village" and I found that's a misnomer, but the inhabitants call that place that way.

https://billiongraves.com/cemetery/Haivana-Nakya-Cemetery/293075 Here's the location of the cemetery, that's how I found out the real name of the place.

So I am 100% sure that's the place where she was found, besides, it's very close to Kitt Peak, which it's a reference given before.

Ok, anyways, I've been searching about the telephone number and I am almost 100% sure that's from Altar, SON.
(637) 3740886 which belongs to "Francisca Elena Valenzuela Lopez". Coincidence right? Valenzuela is the last name of one of the "pastores".
I can call that number, but maybe it doesn't lead us anywhere.

In addition, I have tried to contact Alan Larson, unsuccesfully. There's no direct contact with him, only by his webpage but no one has ever replied to me.

Finally, yes, there are some missing people databases for those who where trying to cross the border, I live researching on them, but usually there's no valuable info out of them, and they're outdated.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but lots of times people will mix up the b's and v's in Spanish. I'm thinking it's likely that the name that she had written down is Eluvia - it's waaaay more common. If she heard it and hadn't seen it written it could have sounded like Elubia.

Bumping, this case is sad but also interesting considering the connection to the "Mexizona" book.

Is there a missing persons database for MX that's reliable? I know Doe Network has one but it's very outdated and limited.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Bumping.

This case honestly baffles me. I do have a theory, it might be a dumb theory though. Maybe our girl was actually not Mexican but in fact another nationality, hence the fake Mexican identification card.

She definitely looks like the girl in the photo on the fake ID, I do think it is her. The DOB on the ID says 19 January 1991, making her 17 at the time of her death which does fit with our age estimate. I do think Maria Mendez Morales has a good chance of being either an alias or a real name.

I think it could be an alias because it’s a fairly generic sounding name for a Hispanic girl, and it sounds super common. But I have a suspicion it could be her real name, because it’s a very common name and there’s probably TONS of girls with that name. If she was actually from another country and used a fake Mexican ID then she could have put her real name and DOB on the card, so the reason she could be still unidentified is because nobody can track her down.

Now the reason this case baffles me so much is because apparently they were unable to get fingerprints from her?

How are they unable to get fingerprints from a perfectly intact and recognizable body? The remains did look to be in an early stage of decomposition, which is weird considering her PMI was just hours, but hey, it’s hot in Arizona so I am not surprised. But she still looks recognizable so I find it so odd they weren’t able to get fingerprints from these perfectly intact remains.

She could be from Central America and hence had the fake Mexican ID. This case is from 2008, but nowadays more fake Mexican IDs are being seen, so that Central American immigrants can stay in Mexico.
The notes are the name of two pastors with the home address of likely one of them. Religious services are on Thursday and Sunday. The phone number is likely related to the church. Not much to actually ID her, except that's where she went to church.
My edit time is gonna run out on this post any second. I think the church might be in Sonora

There is a small chance the phone number might be from the Jalisco area, but I know nothing about Mexican phone numbers. Also their rules changed in 2019, so looking up numbers might be futile. However, if 37 is an "area code" of sorts, it looks like it's the Jalisco area. But if the area code is not included in the phone number, then it could be from anywhere in Mexico. My hunch is the area code wasn't included, so it could be from anywhere. (Like the way things used to be here. But I don't know. Nowadays, area codes are required in Mexico like here in the US, but they weren't back then)

Pine Blvd #16
Benito Juarez Colonia (it would be a neighborhood)

There are a bunch of Benito Juarez Colonias all over Mexico.

We had someone from Mexico who could provide more insight.
Anyway, notes are about a church somewhere in Mexico.

Ah: Edit to add. The person from Mexico thinks the church is in Altar, Sonora.
(Sorry didn't read all the thread and my edit time is gone run out on the post any second)

I wonder if the person was staying at the church for awhile?

I did a phone look up on the two possible GA numbers. It's a landline. The number that ends in "0" seems to have changed hands frequently and has been ascribed to several Latino names in the past. None of them are named Elubia, but that doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda