BC...How much longer can he hold out

No, he's a quadriplegic. He's almost the exact same as my nephew. My guess is his injury is in the C5 to C7 region. His paralysis line is probably right about his nipple line. That means he can move his shoulders (that's why you are thinking he's a paraplegic), but he can't move is lower arms or hands. If you go back and watch videos you'll see that all manipulation with his arms and hands is done with his shoulders - his hands are just masses he uses by moving his shoulders.

A lot of quadriplegics are the same as this and choose not to use their shoulders and just keep their arms still on their chairs. That's why people tend to misunderstand a quadriplegic who actually uses their shoulders for arm movements.

Thank you Valhall...I didn't know that, and you are right, I did assume it. :blowkiss:

I believe it was a swimming accident. My brother is paralyzed effecting C5 & C6 vertabrae. He has much less movement than BC but can also move his hands minimally. When injury is at these levels the new term patients use is called Tetraplegia. Although my brother has been hospitalized since Nov. and had to be put on opiates when maraijuna couldn't cut through his pain it did serve a purpose for awhile and definatley helped keep his weight on. Time does take a toll on these people who suffer with debilitating disabilities and marijuana certainly has its benifits.

Exactly! I don't begrudge them defending their daughter (just the way they go about it). But NOT at the expense of their own granddaughter. Admittedly, it's a difficulty and delicate balancing act. One they're obviously not capable of, IMO.

It's one thing to defend KC, and quite another to simply state that they love her and ALSO want justice for Caylee. They have never even entertained (in public) the possibility that KC might be responsible, though I'm sure they have in private. They go way beyond "defending" her. They perpetuate her lies, compounding them with their own, and in the end antagonize the interested public and make themselves look foolish. I do not think they have given any thought to the fact that NOBODY in that family is standing up for Caylee. She has been abandoned by the people who were supposed to love her and protect her the most. Basically, I agree with you. It just burns me up the things they say and expect the public to believe just because one of the mighty Anthony's said it was so. Sorry for the rant. I've worked all night...can I use that as an excuse??? And sorry for being O/T. Personally, I hope BC ditches them and they can't find any attorney willing to work with them. That's mean...sorry. Can I use working all night as an excuse for that one too???

The State will put her on the stand no matter how much lying she does beforehand. I think they want her there nearly as much as they'd wish to get Casey up on the stand.

I agree. Since they won't get the "apple" on the stand, they will put the "tree" on the stand.

Probably right (purgery?) or that the State wont call her on the stand cuz she's not credible??
Maybe but BC is doing this pro bono this has to be a big expense for him. There must be something in it for him.

The spokesperson/support role is pro bono.
He may not be so generous about defending them in criminal proceedings (perjury, OOJ etc), so maybe his payoff will come further down the line.

No, he's a quadriplegic. He's almost the exact same as my nephew. My guess is his injury is in the C5 to C7 region. His paralysis line is probably right about his nipple line. That means he can move his shoulders (that's why you are thinking he's a paraplegic), but he can't move is lower arms or hands. If you go back and watch videos you'll see that all manipulation with his arms and hands is done with his shoulders - his hands are just masses he uses by moving his shoulders.

A lot of quadriplegics are the same as this and choose not to use their shoulders and just keep their arms still on their chairs. That's why people tend to misunderstand a quadriplegic who actually uses their shoulders for arm movements.

I could swear I've seen him pushing/rolling his own chair at times? But I know nothing of this subject so if you say so I believe you. Would he be able to roll his own chair if he's a quad?? Also I have to give him props for all he does, I did wonder if he had to have someone come to NY with him to help him and I thought of how taxing this situation must be for him. JMO

I could swear I've seen him pushing/rolling his own chair at times? But I know nothing of this subject so if you say so I believe you. Would he be able to roll his own chair if he's a quad?? Also I have to give him props for all he does, I did wonder if he had to have someone come to NY with him to help him and I thought of how taxing this situation must be for him. JMO

It depends on the type of chair, but yes, if he has enough shoulder strength he could do limited moving of his chair (not long distances or anything, but short distances). I know this, because there has been a couple of times that my nephew's electric chair has broken and he's had to spend time in a regular chair, and he could move himself for short distances basically by pushing (with his shoulders) his forearms forward while they are against the tops of the wheels.

I'll go back and look at some of the court room videos and see if I can see what you're talking about.

BC...How much longer can he hold out?

He's in it for fame and $$$publicity$$$ .. :rolleyes:
BC's there for the long haul otherwise, he'd have made tracks immediatly after the depositions ..

I was not able to locate the footage that shows him come forward in the court hearing (I may have forwarded past it). But I found these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5lz...494A0A01&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

After viewing the above video, I would have to say that BC's paralysis line is actually higher than my nephew's because BC has impaired breathing much more than my nephew does. Note that there is no arm movement while he talks, just shoulder movement.

And this video:

http://fr.truveo.com/Brad-Conway-Caylee-Anthony-Memorial-Service-1of-2/id/567627579

shows best how he moves his arms with his shoulders. Watch right up front when he moves his arms by lifting his shoulders.

Okay, this court video shows he has limited control over his arms (he seems to have better control from the shoulder to the elbow than my nephew has. When my nephew moves his arms in the manner that BC does it's not as smooth as BC).

http://www.wftv.com/video/18265423/index.html

at about 17:50 or so shows that BC has limited control over his arms (i.e. he can manipulate down to the elbow). And he does not have full use of his hands (this is like my nephew). Note that when he brings his hand up to his tie, his fingers are curled under his hand (i.e. they are paralyzed) and he adjusts his tie in a clumsy "gross movement". (no digital control, other than he can get a bit of a "pinch" with his thumb against his curled fingers) This inability to use his hands classifies him a quadriplegic.

To be clear, quadriplegics can do a lot of things, but its just much harder for them and they have to relearn how to do it. For instance, I put my nephew to work with me when I had my own business. I taught him how to use a trackball mouse by placing his hand on the ball and then manipulating it by moving his upper arm/shoulder area. Also, he had a "stiffener" brace that could strap to his hand that put his pointer finger in a brace. We would then tape a #2 pencil to his finger and he could type (very very slowly). He worked spreadsheets for me for months this way.

It's all in the will to live and the perseverance to go on. That and where your paralysis line is. For instance, with Christopher Reeves (whose fracture was at like the C3/C4 area...there's no shoulder movement or even independent lung function at that point.

I was not able to locate the footage that shows him come forward in the court hearing (I may have forwarded past it). But I found these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5lz...494A0A01&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

After viewing the above video, I would have to say that BC's paralysis line is actually higher than my nephew's because BC has impaired breathing much more than my nephew does. Note that there is no arm movement while he talks, just shoulder movement.

And this video:

http://fr.truveo.com/Brad-Conway-Caylee-Anthony-Memorial-Service-1of-2/id/567627579

shows best how he moves his arms with his shoulders. Watch right up front when he moves his arms by lifting his shoulders.

Okay, this court video shows he has limited control over his arms (he seems to have better control from the shoulder to the elbow than my nephew has. When my nephew moves his arms in the manner that BC does it's not as smooth as BC).

http://www.wftv.com/video/18265423/index.html

at about 17:50 or so shows that BC has limited control over his arms (i.e. he can manipulate down to the elbow). And he does not have full use of his hands (this is like my nephew). Note that when he brings his hand up to his tie, his fingers are curled under his hand (i.e. they are paralyzed) and he adjusts his tie in a clumsy "gross movement". (no digital control, other than he can get a bit of a "pinch" with his thumb against his curled fingers) This inability to use his hands classifies him a quadriplegic.

To be clear, quadriplegics can do a lot of things, but its just much harder for them and they have to relearn how to do it. For instance, I put my nephew to work with me when I had my own business. I taught him how to use a trackball mouse by placing his hand on the ball and then manipulating it by moving his upper arm/shoulder area. Also, he had a "stiffener" brace that could strap to his hand that put his pointer finger in a brace. We would then tape a #2 pencil to his finger and he could type (very very slowly). He worked spreadsheets for me for months this way.

It's all in the will to live and the perseverance to go on. That and where your paralysis line is. For instance, with Christopher Reeves (whose fracture was at like the C3/C4 area...there's no shoulder movement or even independent lung function at that point.

So how far down his upper arm do you think BC has feeling/control? Are you saying that there are people who have only the actual shoulder left and they can use those muscles alone to move the arm around? Wow.....I bet that alone is a hugh feat for them, I can't even imagine the strength and concentration that would take. I have seen BC's hands balled up and noticed that he can't really use them other than as a mass. I didn't realize that there is also alot of pain associated with this condition. I don't know how he finds the strength (physically and mentally/emotionally) to deal with this nation wide case as well as the A's, but I do admire him for not letting his disability take his professional life from him. jmo

So how far down his upper arm do you think BC has feeling/control? Are you saying that there are people who have only the actual shoulder left and they can use those muscles alone to move the arm around? Wow.....I bet that alone is a hugh feat for them, I can't even imagine the strength and concentration that would take. I have seen BC's hands balled up and noticed that he can't really use them other than as a mass. I didn't realize that there is also alot of pain associated with this condition. I don't know how he finds the strength (physically and mentally/emotionally) to deal with this nation wide case as well as the A's, but I do admire him for not letting his disability take his professional life from him. jmo

Yes. See my nephew, by majority, moves his arms and hands as a unit and almost completely through his shoulders. He works out to keep that strength. The way he works out is to have a weight on a pully system attached to a wrist band and then he does resistance type strength exercises by using his shoulder to manipulate the weight.

But my nephew has much less control from the shoulder down to the elbow. Now he can bend his elbow (just as BC can) but BC appears to have a bit more control over that movement. (i.e. when my nephew moves his elbow it's very "gross motor" movement and it's jerky and not smooth...but BC seems to have more control.) This may be because BC works out more than my nephew does and has more shoulder/upper arm muscle strength..because as I said, BC actually appears to have a higher paralysis line than my nephew as evidenced by his very labored breathing when he talks.

The majority of the pain that paralyzed people endure has to do with the bodies "new reaction" to stress below the paralysis line. The human body is an amazing thing. Consider that if they have a pressure sore, or if their bladder is hyperextended, the nerve route for that pain to get to their brain is now cut off. So the body does a work around. I can't remember the medical term right now for the reaction the body has (but the exact medical term is used by Denzel Washington in the movie the Bone Collector!!! lol). This reaction causes sweating, EXTREME HEADACHES, elevated blood pressure and other pain above the paralysis line. It's the body's way of letting the person know something is wrong and it needs to be addressed.

P.S. I wanted to throw in that, let's just take a trip to the court house or the trip to New York. Because BC can't use his hands, he always has to have some one available who is willing to empty his urine bag. He is equipped with an external catheter and a leg bag and when that bag gets full, he has to have some one empty it for him. There are several humiliating things that a quadriplegic has to endure, including having their bowels manually evacuated, being showered by others, being dressed by others. It's a hard life to get through.

With a family system as closed and dysfunctional as the A's, it is a certainty that they will seek out professional helpers who will enable them to perpetuate the dysfunctional system. They simply wouldn't allow anyone else in. Not to say that people can't change, but there is usually evidence of such.

MOO, of course, and based in family systems theory.

:eek:
He made the statement after the body was found that the Anthony family would no longer try to hinder the investigation. It was quiet on the home front for a long time. It has once again exploded where CA has to be in charge.:furious:

I wonder how much longer he can hang in for all the lies since he knows what they are trying to do.

:shocked2: REALLY, did he really say NO LONGER TRY TO HINDER???

I'm floored. So out of the lawyers mouth he admits their attempts to hinder.

where's the fainting smiley icon????

Yes. See my nephew, by majority, moves his arms and hands as a unit and almost completely through his shoulders. He works out to keep that strength. The way he works out is to have a weight on a pully system attached to a wrist band and then he does resistance type strength exercises by using his shoulder to manipulate the weight.

But my nephew has much less control from the shoulder down to the elbow. Now he can bend his elbow (just as BC can) but BC appears to have a bit more control over that movement. (i.e. when my nephew moves his elbow it's very "gross motor" movement and it's jerky and not smooth...but BC seems to have more control.) This may be because BC works out more than my nephew does and has more shoulder/upper arm muscle strength..because as I said, BC actually appears to have a higher paralysis line than my nephew as evidenced by his very labored breathing when he talks.

The majority of the pain that paralyzed people endure has to do with the bodies "new reaction" to stress below the paralysis line. The human body is an amazing thing. Consider that if they have a pressure sore, or if their bladder is hyperextended, the nerve route for that pain to get to their brain is now cut off. So the body does a work around. I can't remember the medical term right now for the reaction the body has (but the exact medical term is used by Denzel Washington in the movie the Bone Collector!!! lol). This reaction causes sweating, EXTREME HEADACHES, elevated blood pressure and other pain above the paralysis line. It's the body's way of letting the person know something is wrong and it needs to be addressed.

P.S. I wanted to throw in that, let's just take a trip to the court house or the trip to New York. Because BC can't use his hands, he always has to have some one available who is willing to empty his urine bag. He is equipped with an external catheter and a leg bag and when that bag gets full, he has to have some one empty it for him. There are several humiliating things that a quadriplegic has to endure, including having their bowels manually evacuated, being showered by others, being dressed by others. It's a hard life to get through.

Thanks for all the info. When one thinks of all the little details that these people must struggle with daily/have done for them, the most basic things.... things the rest of us take for granted, it does make you stop and think and respect the strong will that would have to be adopted to continue on and make a productive and happy life. I do respect that.

Back on topic - My initial impression of BC was positive and from the bits and pieces I've picked up on, it seems like he was a respected lawyer in the Orlando area. I don't want the A's to tear all that he has worked for down. I really do hope he will dismiss himself if CA will not follow his advice, b/c she won't just hurt KC or herself or GA, she will take BC down with them. jmo

- - - respectfully snipped - - -

Back on topic - My initial impression of BC was positive and from the bits and pieces I've picked up on, it seems like he was a respected lawyer in the Orlando area. I don't want the A's to tear all that he has worked for down. I really do hope he will dismiss himself if CA will not follow his advice, b/c she won't just hurt KC or herself or GA, she will take BC down with them. jmo

ITA!

everyone has a right to fair representation. The A's obviously believe they needs representation. Personally, I've never heard a harsh word out of BC, unlike MN.

I think he's about the only honest one in the bunch:

Brad Conway, attorney for George and Cindy, told NBC’s “Today” this morning the couple didn’t like the delving into their personal life and that Gonzalez had brought her defamation suit for attention.

Do George and Cindy still believe Casey’s claim that a babysitter was involved in Caylee’s disappearance? “They just don’t know, Meredith, they just don’t know,” Conway told Meredith Vieira.

It's J Baez, who has only been practicing law for three years, is having his limited experience tested by one of the most high profile criminal trials since O.J. Simpson. That's who we should be concerned about. When it comes to appeal - a simple "ineffective council" will probably do KC just fine.

Now JB has the gall to say he is making history as the first Hispanic attorney to try a high profile case? When did the race card come in.

In short, BC is the very least of my worries. I believe he's a good man who's trying his best to protect the A's.

IMHO,

i just wonder how much toll this case is taking on bc .. and how long can he endure it and are the anthonys thinking about his health ? or will he be another victim ?

i just wonder how much toll this case is taking on bc .. and how long can he endure it and are the anthonys thinking about his health ? or will he be another victim ?

Personally, I don't see him as a victim. He can stand up for himself and withrdaw himself at a moments notice :)

Best,

Maybe that's why GA is always seen pushing BC's wheelchair around...he knows first hand about the toll that this circus can take on a person (attempted suicide) and wants to make sure BC is still around to help them when KC turns the whole case around and fingers her parents...mark my words, KC isn't going down without taking as many people with her. :furious:

Very well said. He do believe he is in fact a PR/ calming person and you are right, there is no lawyer on this earth that would shut CA up. With that said, I just wonder how much he is willing to endure and at what price?
Certainly traveling is challenging for him.

I'll second that!

I think BC was successful at first for a few reasons. One is his "calming personality" that others have remarked on. I think that he never tried to "talk some sense" into the A's like Nejame probably did - instead he was sympathetic and reassuring. He is also good at making PR statements that express what the A's want him to say without making the A's look any worse to the public. Mostly because he has the ability to fluidly deliver statements that don't say much at all.

I also think the A's fully realize the potential PR/image value of BC in a wheelchair.

After the body was found BC was successful at keeping the A's quiet because CA was in a state of mind where she wanted to be consoled. I think they did "take some time off" to grieve more privately and quietly. So we saw little of them at that time. Then, BC got the depo's postponed so BC was golden in their minds.

However when depo time rolled around - it was back on! The A's went into that depo chomping and snorting like angry bulls. They were ready to charge at anything that was waved in front of them. I'm sure that BC DID explain how they should behave. But NO ONE can control them and for the most part BC's attempt's at control were pretty weak.

I think BC is in a tough position because he has to maintain the appearance to the A's of being TOTALLY on their side and of buying into their version of events. It must be very hard to do any real lawyering in that case. He can't do anything to damage the A's trust in him and that includes exerting stronger control over them at the depos. BC knows full well that CA runs this show and that he is really just along for the ride, doing damage control when/if he can.

I agree with others that BC knew what he was getting into with the A's. He is not "hanging in there". IMHO he is right where he wanted and expected to be.

Sorry for the long post!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back