Bear Kills 11 Year Old Boy in Utah

WHAT???? That doesn't sound right. No human on earth can life a real log and swing it like a bat since they weigh several hundred pounds. If you meant he grabbed a big branch and hit the bear with it that would almost never kill an adult male bear since they are very tough. It could scare him and cause him to run away or just piss him off where he would attack.

It takes more than that to kill an adult male black bear.

Do you have a link or something about this story??

Just like a human, if the trajectory, force, and angle is just right, it absolutely could kill a bear. And by all accounts, it did exactly that.

Great, just great. This summer the kids chose camping for several weekends over one week in Disneyland as a vacation. For Father's day they bought Dad a tent!

Now I'm unsettled.

Do I bring a gun? Even if I go buy one for protection, I doubt you're allowed to bring one into a state park camping area in CA.

Any advice? I already know I have to wash all the clothes with scent free detergent and no softner...no fruity shampoos, chapsticks etc.

How do you protect yourself? Stun Gun?

Bear attacks are VERY rare Ziggy. The single most important thing you can do to keep a bear away from you campsite is to not leave food lying around, smelling good and easily accessible to bears. Keep it in a container in the car - or hang it in a container from trees.

If you are on a trail in woods known to be populated by bears, the best thing you can do is make noise so you don't come upon bears unaware - most bear attacks on the trail occur when bears don't hear you coming. Sing, talk, shout out every now and again, make lots of noise walking, etc...

Guns aren't particularly effective against bears - they are exceedingly fast if you come upon them and they spy you. Some companies sell a bear repellent that you're supposed to shoot into it's face before he takes a bite out of you, but honestly sometimes that just enrages the bear more and I don't know if I personally would have the wits or stones to do that with a bear in my face.

One of the porblems with bear attacks on humans is that there aren't many hard and fast rules. Some folks have stayed alive by playing dead, running, fighting back, climbing a tree. Others have been killed by playing dead, running, fighting back, climbing a tree.

But keeping food away and not startling them definitely help.

Just like a human, if the trajectory, force, and angle is just right, it absolutely could kill a bear. And by all accounts, it did exactly that.

Yeah, that was a very good throw by the father but it was a 275 lb. female bear. I think it's more likely a male black bear over 300 lbs. would have been stunned by it but not killed.

WHAT???? That doesn't sound right. No human on earth can life a real log and swing it like a bat since they weigh several hundred pounds. If you meant he grabbed a big branch and hit the bear with it that would almost never kill an adult male bear since they are very tough. It could scare him and cause him to run away or just piss him off where he would attack.

It takes more than that to kill an adult male black bear.

Do you have a link or something about this story??

It was my understanding that the father was a U.S. Marine. That would explain it.

Bear attacks are VERY rare Ziggy. The single most important thing you can do to keep a bear away from you campsite is to not leave food lying around, smelling good and easily accessible to bears. Keep it in a container in the car - or hang it in a container from trees.

If you are on a trail in woods known to be populated by bears, the best thing you can do is make noise so you don't come upon bears unaware - most bear attacks on the trail occur when bears don't hear you coming. Sing, talk, shout out every now and again, make lots of noise walking, etc...

Guns aren't particularly effective against bears - they are exceedingly fast if you come upon them and they spy you. Some companies sell a bear repellent that you're supposed to shoot into it's face before he takes a bite out of you, but honestly sometimes that just enrages the bear more and I don't know if I personally would have the wits or stones to do that with a bear in my face.

One of the porblems with bear attacks on humans is that there aren't many hard and fast rules. Some folks have stayed alive by playing dead, running, fighting back, climbing a tree. Others have been killed by playing dead, running, fighting back, climbing a tree.

But keeping food away and not startling them definitely help.

The gun has to be powerful enough and always at the ready, pretty much. 12 gauge shotguns are about the best, as are high powered rifles. Handguns can be quicker to bring up to shoot but you need nothing smaller than a .44 magnum, really.

You are right about there being no hard and fast rules. I have heard stories of bears retreating after being punched in the nose and I have also heard of bears continuing the attack after being shot with a rifle until the bear finally died.

I'd take a gun over pepper spray, typically, lol. And yes, lots of noise to avoid surprising them, such as bells on your ankles. True story: Shania Twain developed her singing voice by singing as loud as she could to keep away bears in Canada while people (her family maybe?) worked in the wilderness clearing timber, etc.

Yeah, that was a very good throw by the father but it was a 275 lb. female bear. I think it's more likely a male black bear over 300 lbs. would have been stunned by it but not killed.

Well, either way--this is a ALMOST 300 pound black bear, so it was really remarkable still. One throw of a piece of firewood.

The bear wasn't any less of a threat than a MALE black bear. In fact, I'd be willing to be that it was MORE dangerous than the average black bear because in the story it sounds like the campers also saw 3 bear cubs. You know what they say about mother bears protecting her cubs....

Well, either way--this is a ALMOST 300 pound black bear, so it was really remarkable still. One throw of a piece of firewood.

The bear wasn't any less of a threat than a MALE black bear. In fact, I'd be willing to be that it was MORE dangerous than the average black bear because in the story it sounds like the campers also saw 3 bear cubs. You know what they say about mother bears protecting her cubs....

But black bears don't protect their young as ferociously as grizzlies do. Male black bears can be as much as 500 lbs. so even a 350 lb. male black bear may have not succumbed so easily.

---Bears have dragged humans from tents many times before--they may have smelled food--In Alaska, that famous bear observer with the blond hair,he and his girlfriend were both dragged from their tent and both were mauled to death by a bear

That is not correct. They were not dragged from their tent. Timothy Treadwell was attacked because he 1 put the tent in the wrong place (you don't put your tent near, or in an area of brush) and 2 because he had his back to the bear, a grizzly, who was old and looking for an easy kill. He even yelled at his gf (who knew about bears as well) to leave and she instead tried to save him.

I almost read this out loud - glad i didn't - my scout son and his scout friend are sitting here. We leave for summer camp on Sunday. Going to Shaver Lake just north a ways from Fresno. I'm always worried about bears and other critters. Especially the snakes and there's supposedly a lot of them this year. I'm gonna be a nervous wreck the week.

No food allowed in tents. Bears and other critters even go for toothpaste and fruity smelling shampoo and stuff. We also make the boys put a fresh shirt on at night (since most like to sleep in their clothes) and wash the hands and face.

I've never heard of the urinating thing, but it's interesting.

Shaver lake has never had a bear problem and it is well patroled. I hope you had a good time!

We're in Sonoma County and are looking for good places to camp. Shaver lake might be possible but a long drive?

Guns, well the kids aren't small (teen and pre-teen) and they are very responsible. I guess a shotgun would be the best bet. I can't see having a high powered handgun. A 38 special won't do any good against a bear. Bells are a great idea, maybe I'll bring a whistle too, and a baseball bat, and a spear, lol.

We always camped for vacations when I was young in and near British Columbia. We had bears visit our campsites at night all the time. They left huge claw holes in my grandma's tupperware container that held food. Claws went clean through the thick lid. We've even had them rub up against the tent as they went through the camp. We knew they'd left because they were loud crashing through the brush on their way out. Never did we fear them attacking us. What has changed?

Ziggy, Shaver Lake is beautiful, so is Huntington, and Florence/Edison. I think you and your family would really enjoy any of these areas. All have designated campsites and are patroled regularly. Don't bring a dog if you can leave it home with someone to care for it.

We do have an abundance of wildlife up here in the Sierra National Forest. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, skunks, racoons, eagles (several varieties even bald eagles), hawks, wild turkeys, deer, foxes, etc. I think we have just about everything you can think of except moose, elk, or bison!
The most dangerous animal of all is in great abundance here though so I suggest extreme caution when dealing with...humans. :)

Ziggy, Shaver Lake is beautiful, so is Huntington, and Florence/Edison. I think you and your family would really enjoy any of these areas. All have designated campsites and are patroled regularly. Don't bring a dog if you can leave it home with someone to care for it.

We do have an abundance of wildlife up here in the Sierra National Forest. Bears, coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, skunks, racoons, eagles (several varieties even bald eagles), hawks, wild turkeys, deer, foxes, etc. I think we have just about everything you can think of except moose, elk, or bison!
The most dangerous animal of all is in great abundance here though so I suggest extreme caution when dealing with...humans. :)

Thanks Seeker! We'll look into those areas. I definitely want a designated area and patrols. Good advice on the most dangerous of all animals...being a regular Websleuthers for many years now, I'm extremely suspicious of people and cautious. My family thinks I'm a bit overboard but I don't care!

Here's another wild story that happened yesterday: Golfer Ignores Beware Of Gator Sign--Venice,Florida(west coast)--A Tennessee tourist went to grab his golfball at the 6th hole at the edge of a pond--An alligator immediately grabbed his hand and pulled him into the pond---After frantically beating on the gator's head, the gator let him go and the golfer was taken to the hospital with minor injuries--Another golfer was attacked at the same hole 3 years ago, "That's why we put the sign up", says a golf course official

Here's another wild story that happened yesterday: Golfer Ignores Beware Of Gator Sign--Venice,Florida(west coast)--A Tennessee tourist went to grab his golfball at the 6th hole at the edge of a pond--An alligator immediately grabbed his hand and pulled him into the pond---After frantically beating on the gator's head, the gator let him go and the golfer was taken to the hospital with minor injuries--Another golfer was attacked at the same hole 3 years ago, "That's why we put the sign up", says a golf course official

I chuckled at this last line. I'm glad this golfer is okay.

Shaver lake has never had a bear problem and it is well patroled. I hope you had a good time!

Thanks - We had a great time. First question I asked was about bears. We did have lots of other critters in our tents though - chipmunks (soooo cute), squirrels, and an occasional deer! The week before we got there a mountain lion and it's baby were spotted on camp. It was "displaced" due to some controlled burns they were doing. The deer were back so they were pretty confident it was gone. My son had to do his Wilderness Survival campout in that same area. He had to sleep under the stars in a shelter he built. He was brave - I was nervous. He did it with no sleeping bag!

Shaver Lake was beautiful! I'd like to go back.

I just want to state the truth about bears so people don't have any misconceptions. When people think of a bear you think of an agressive carnivore, right?

Well, the truth is black bears are over 90% VEGETARIAN and eat mostly nuts and berries accoding to Animal Planet and some of the top bear experts. Even brown bears like the grizzly are up to 90% vegetarian and eat mostly berries or fish depending on where they live. I know it sounds strange that a huge grizzly bear could eat mostly berries but that's from the bear experts themselves!

The bottom line is ALL North American bears are overwhelmingly vegetarian and rarely chase down an animal for prey (especially black bears since they almost never do it) so let's not mistake them for a bloodthirsty lion or other carnivore.

Its not even safe in Romania--An American tourist, a woman, was mauled to death by a bear in the Carpathian Mountains--There was also another attack some time ago in Glacier National Park here in the U.S.--A couple came upon a bear and her cubs(yikes) when turning a corner while hiking--Both were attacked and injured but luckily they fell down the side of the mountain --The Bear did not follow

---Bears have dragged humans from tents many times before--they may have smelled food--In Alaska, that famous bear observer with the blond hair,he and his girlfriend were both dragged from their tent and both were mauled to death by a bear

That famous bear observer..got way to close to bears..right next to nursing mothers...he was very irresponsible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back