Benazir Bhutto Killed in Suicide Bombing - Pakistan

Well, the world has lost another really good person. She had such courage, she was so willing to put her life on the line for what she believed in. God bless her, and God replace her. We need more people in this world who are like her.

Just heard this. Haven't had the news until I checked at noon for the snow report.

Sad, sad day for the world. All I heard was that she had enemies among Musharraf (sp?) supporters and Al Quida. Said there was an explosion during her speech that allowed her killer to get to her.

Clintons reaction to Bhutto Assassination
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12/27/politics/fromtheroad/entry3650192.shtml

"I have known Benazir Bhutto for a dozen years and I knew her as a leader. I knew her as someone was willing to take a risks to persue democracy on behalf of the people of Pakistan. She wrote a very moving autobiography which begins with the assassination of her father who was had been the leader of Pakistan and was killed as well."
"I grieve for her family, particularly her two children.
Uhhh, she had three children

Huckabee Reaction to Bhutto Assassination http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12/27/politics/fromtheroad/entry3650191.shtml
expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”
Why should America apologize??

Thompson on the Bhutto Assassination http://www.fred08.com/NewsRoom/PressRelease.aspx?ID=2158ef49-4ed5-4e5c-a8b1-eae1d98728f9

Just heard this. Haven't had the news until I checked at noon for the snow report.

Sad, sad day for the world. All I heard was that she had enemies among Musharraf (sp?) supporters and Al Quida. Said there was an explosion during her speech that allowed her killer to get to her.

CNN is saying she actually died from a gunshot wound.

I want to know how a gunman was able to get so close to her?

On another note,if you listen to some of the experts on foreign affairs,you could really start to panic. Just heard one say "BinLaden is closer to taking control of nuclear weapons at the end of 2007 than he ever was".
No matter who is responsable for this,its key that stability is maintained in Pakistan.The military is in charge of guarding the nukes. If they "split" or are busy controling the country,Al Quada could have access to the weapons.Then we are all screwed.

On another note,if you listen to some of the experts on foreign affairs,you could really start to panic. Just heard one say "BinLaden is closer to taking control of nuclear weapons at the end of 2007 than he ever was".
No matter who is responsable for this,its key that stability is maintained in Pakistan.The military is in charge of guarding the nukes. If they "split" or are busy controling the country,Al Quada could have access to the weapons.Then we are all screwed.

I listened to a Security Analyst from MIT on CNN. He felt that there will be "reaction", but the Military would gain control. Yes, stability is very important. He did not feel that nukes would be in crisis at this point. Evidently Pakistan and India are getting along better than they used to; but the region is definitely smack dab in the middle of what could be a big mess in the Middle East. He thought they would not have the elections.

Al Queda is in the Pakistani hills; they cross over and cause all the trouble in Afghanistan. But I don't think they represent what the majority of Pakistanis want for their country.

I just wonder who's REALLY behind the assassination; maybe more than one force at work there.

Hockeymom: I think she was standing up in her car, out of the sunroof, doing some kind of greeting drive by. She was an open target by doing that... :(

(that was what I heard on one news outlet... dont hold me to it... there seems to be many different news reports floating around)

Hockeymom: I think she was standing up in her car, out of the sunroof, doing some kind of greeting drive by. She was an open target by doing that... :(

(that was what I heard on one news outlet... dont hold me to it... there seems to be many different news reports floating around)

It is very confusing. 1st it was just a bomber and she was hit by shrappnel(sp),then it was a shooting. I heard that the bomb may have been a distraction,to allow a shooter to get so close...Maybe we will never know the truth. either way it is a shame for Pakistan and the world.

It is very confusing. 1st it was just a bomber and she was hit by shrappnel(sp),then it was a shooting. I heard that the bomb may have been a distraction,to allow a shooter to get so close...Maybe we will never know the truth. either way it is a shame for Pakistan and the world.

To add to the confusion, I'm just reading on CNN that someone fired two shots at her, she fell back into the car (she was standing in the sunroof) and then the shooter, on a motorcycle, blew himself up. I think it will be a while until we will know exactly what happened. Not that it even matters to me too much... it's the aftermath that's more important now. And I'm still shocked. Yes, it seemed like a matter of time, but it's still shocking for it to become reality. She was so brave, she refused to back down for any threats.

Yes, Martha. I heard one hit her in the neck and another in the chest. The diversion was the explosion. The crowd panicked and the gunman had his chance in the confusion, from what I heard. Then he blew himself up.

To add to the confusion, I'm just reading on CNN that someone fired two shots at her, she fell back into the car (she was standing in the sunroof) and then the shooter, on a motorcycle, blew himself up. I think it will be a while until we will know exactly what happened. Not that it even matters to me too much... it's the aftermath that's more important now. And I'm still shocked. Yes, it seemed like a matter of time, but it's still shocking for it to become reality. She was so brave, she refused to back down for any threats.
My Denver 9 news (NBC) only showed her at a podium giving a speech. I don't know if this is where she was, or if that was file footage. I haven't heard any more than that. It's snowing so hard here the BarnGod has control of the remote now, ugh!!!!!!

My Denver 9 news (NBC) only showed her at a podium giving a speech. I don't know if this is where she was, or if that was file footage. I haven't heard any more than that. It's snowing so hard here the BarnGod has control of the remote now, ugh!!!!!!

She had just given a speech; I think she was in the car.

I watched the CNN video of her getting into the car and the car driving off. At that time, she was not standing through the sunroof; but the CNN account quotes a reporter as saying she was standing through the sunroof when the shots were fired.

I don't think there was an explosion first, the shots were fired first, evidently by the guy on the motorcycle, then he immediately blew himself up killing 22 others.

I don't think this had ANYTHING to do with Al Quida, although some of the news talking heads are trying to make it sound like it was. I think that certain factions in that country wanted her "done away with".
She was one gutsy lady. I admired her so. In her book she states "I didn't seek this life, it sought me" Truer words were never spoken.
May she rest with God.

She had just given a speech; I think she was in the car.

I watched the CNN video of her getting into the car and the car driving off. At that time, she was not standing through the sunroof; but the CNN account quotes a reporter as saying she was standing through the sunroof when the shots were fired.

I don't think there was an explosion first, the shots were fired first, evidently by the guy on the motorcycle, then he immediately blew himself up killing 22 others.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't think we'll know the exact order of events until the panic and speculation dies down. Everyone seems to be telling a different story for now. Maybe some guys in black face masks and automatic weapons will make a video and tell us.

What a day-I am firm in the belief that she knew this would be her fate when she returned to the country. The US should be so proud at backing Mushaareff- it is kind of hard to believe that he was not involved. Certainly makes his "stepping down" from the military very suspicious. Now of course martial law will be reinstated....IMO

None of their missiles are long range enough to reach us, and hard to move around I'd think, but certainly our allies would be in deep trouble in a worse-case scenario. As would our troops over there.

There have been reports of Al-Qeada claiming reponsibility, but nothing confirmed.

Reports I have read state she got back out of her armored SUV to respond to the crowd chanting their support of her and that's when someone ran up to her, shot her, then blew himself up, killing a couple dozen more people.

NPR (public radio) just said ball bearings (?) or shrapnel from the homicide bomb tore through her chest and neck.

Please forgive my spelling if they are wrong.

This is terrible news. I am very nervous about that part of the world now and how it is going to effect those of us who live in the US.

Prayers for the families of all those hurt or killed in this terrorist attack.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back