Benazir Bhutto Killed in Suicide Bombing - Pakistan

NPR (public radio) just said ball bearings (?) or shrapnel from the homicide bomb tore through her chest and neck.

Please forgive my spelling if they are wrong.

This is terrible news. I am very nervous about that part of the world now and how it is going to effect those of us who live in the US.

Prayers for the families of all those hurt or killed in this terrorist attack.
Here is a quote from Fox News:

Sardar Qamar Hayyat, a leader from Bhutto's party, said he was standing about 10 yard away from her vehicle at the time of the attack.
"She was inside the vehicle and was coming out from the gate after addressing the rally when some of the youths started chanting slogans in her favor. Then I saw a smiling Bhutto emerging from the vehicle's roof and responding to their slogans," he said.
"Then I saw a thin, young man jumping toward her vehicle from the back and opening fire. Moments later, I saw her speeding vehicle going away," he added.
Bhutto was rushed to the hospital and taken into emergency surgery. She died about an hour after the attack.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318510,00.html

We'll just have to see. As I said before, everyone is in a panic and rumors are running rampant.

This makes me very sad. She was a brave, intellligent woman who wanted better for the people of Pakistan. The hope is for her party to continue and carry on her message.

Bhutto died of a gunshot wound to the neck, the Pakistani Interior Ministry said. The attacker then blew himself up. The bomb attack killed at least 22 others, doctors said.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/pakistan.bhutto/index.html

Tragic and expected. Bhutto was such a brave soul. I hope her death brings the reform she campaigned for.

This makes me very sad. She was a brave, intellligent woman who wanted better for the people of Pakistan. The hope is for her party to continue and carry on her message.

Bhutto died of a gunshot wound to the neck, the Pakistani Interior Ministry said. The attacker then blew himself up. The bomb attack killed at least 22 others, doctors said.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/27/pakistan.bhutto/index.html

I'm still in shock. I can't believe they actually killed her. I know she was threatened, but it just shocks me, despite that. Such a good woman, from all I have heard. RIP Ms. Bhuto.

I have to wonder if Musharref, who had the most to lose from her, had ANYTHING to do with this.

Frankly, I think this is complete BS, but for what it's worth:

Pakistan's interior ministry said Friday that Benazir Bhutto died from hitting her vehicle's sunroof when she tried to duck after a suicide attack, and that no bullet or shrapnel was found in her.

Ministry spokesman Brigadier Javed Cheema said the opposition leader had died from a head wound she sustained when she smashed against the sunroof's lever as she tried to shelter inside the car.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071228/wl_afp/pakistanattacksbhuttocause

That sounds crazy. If she had fractured her skull, surely she would have not died so quickly.

She had to have had a major bleed somewhere.

Pakistan's interior ministry must benefit in some way if Bhutto is believed to have not died from the attack but from her own actions. It's maddening if some are going to start saying she died from "violently ducking" and even more maddening to know that many will believe it. You're right; this cause of death sounds crazy -- still, I'm sure many will cling to this scenario now that it's been put out there.

I think people are right to be suspicious of this report, but people do die (and sometimes quickly) from head trauma. One of our beloved WSers lost a relative to such a freak accident just recently.

Pakistan's interior ministry must benefit in some way if Bhutto is believed to have not died from the attack but from her own actions. It's maddening if some are going to start saying she died from "violently ducking" and even more maddening to know that many will believe it. You're right; this cause of death sounds crazy -- still, I'm sure many will cling to this scenario now that it's been put out there.

Maybe it's as simple as them NOT wanting to give the 'terrorist' credit for killing her. That could possibly be a plus for just about everyone, IMO.

JMHO
fran

The Pakastani gov't doesn't want her blood on their hands... but even if she did die of an accident, it was still the result of actions that were done in an attempt to kill her.

After the period of mourning is over, do not be surprised if that body of gov't starts a spin to dirty her image and name in death... with her dead, she can't defend herself as she did with the previous attempts when officials tried to say she was involved in corruption.

The Pakastani gov't doesn't want her blood on their hands... but even if she did die of an accident, it was still the result of actions that were done in an attempt to kill her.

After the period of mourning is over, do not be surprised if that body of gov't starts a spin to dirty her image and name in death... with her dead, she can't defend herself as she did with the previous attempts when officials tried to say she was involved in corruption.

Tis morning Musharif's (sp?) interior minister stated that Al Queda was publicly taking credit for her death - there was absolutely no doubt - it was positively Al Queda. Now her death was caused by hitting her head .... This is outrageous #%$@^$&#@&# total BS!

The Pakastani government's hands are awash in her blood. But no fear ... The Shrub will stand by them. After all, it is such a democratic government! And Benazir Bhutto was just a woman who hit her head on the sunroof ... :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Frankly, I think this is complete BS, but for what it's worth:

Sounds like they are trying to cover their own butts for some reason. makes you wonder of their involvement. Yes, I also think it's BS.

MSNBC is showing the video taken right before the explosion, slowed down. You can clearly see a gun and the muzzle blast.

No link yet, but I'll keep looking for it, and post it as soon as its available.

Maybe it's as simple as them NOT wanting to give the 'terrorist' credit for killing her. That could possibly be a plus for just about everyone, IMO.

JMHO
fran

More likely, in my opinion, when or if it's proven the government was involved, they can say it was a tragic accident that she died in the attack.

Oh, Bhutto called for protection as is deserved of her being a former PM, but Musharraf had not provided her with it. She said this in interviews, quite recently.

Oh, Bhutto called for protection as is deserved of her being a former PM, but Musharraf had not provided her with it. She said this in interviews, quite recently.

Well supposedly she made Wolfe promise not to release the e-mail blaming Musharraf UNLESS she was killed for whatever reason. Interesting in light of Pakistan's claim that she only hit her head.

What puzzles me is why did Musharaf (sp?) invite here back to Pakistan. She was urged to return in order to run for Prime Minister. I know he was proposing some sort of power sharing, but he did extend the invitiation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back