Bible Back In Schools

Cypros said:
I agree with teaching ABOUT the Bible and the role of Judeo-Christian religion in the world ALONG WITH other ancient literature, mythologies and religions. Students today are lacking in their awareness of the great classical literature, including the Bible, and this is reflected in their lack of understanding of history and our cultural roots in the Mediterranean and the Middle East. If the Bible is being taught as one aspect of all of these traditions and influences then I am all for it. If they are only interested in teaching the Bible and Christianity, then tell the kids to go to church!
I don't think that this is what the debate is about cypros

but I wish it were so.

Like the Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyers view of religion.

I wish it were benign. I really would prefer to not have to feel I must have a guard up with other people who have some spiritual practice.

But that would be naive.

There are some forces in this "culture trip" who do not give a hoot about diversity, exploring multi-culturalism, intellectual curiosity about others etc

Its about domination for them. Being predominant influence. Power over.

Not about taming their own hearts and minds and being kind citizens.

Most people are the latter. Some of the former have alot of dough and press coverage on Fox news lol.

I have been raised all my life in a "christian family", Mom had me and my bro's at church anytime the doors were open, of course as i got older i rebelled, and had fun doing it, lol....But i did things i became to feel bad about and i think that was Gods way of letting me know it was wrong for me....I grew up in a church that i never heard of Gods love just how i was going to HELL if i was bad......Well years later after i was married my hubby's dear uncle killed himself in his 40's when he was diagnosed with cancer and it really gave me a different look on Heaven and things like that, i came to realize that just because we may not all agree on the same thing 100% i think that when we get to heaven we will be surprised at all the people that will be there, i mean i was raised to think because you commit suicide you automatically went to hell and that seems so harsh since you dont know whats in someones heart you know...I dont know why i am writing all this i just thought its an example of how i really dont know if anyone knows what right, but each person has their own beliefs and convictions on the issue of God or religion....

michelle said:
I have been raised all my life in a "christian family", Mom had me and my bro's at church anytime the doors were open, of course as i got older i rebelled, and had fun doing it, lol....But i did things i became to feel bad about and i think that was Gods way of letting me know it was wrong for me....I grew up in a church that i never heard of Gods love just how i was going to HELL if i was bad......Well years later after i was married my hubby's dear uncle killed himself in his 40's when he was diagnosed with cancer and it really gave me a different look on Heaven and things like that, i came to realize that just because we may not all agree on the same thing 100% i think that when we get to heaven we will be surprised at all the people that will be there, i mean i was raised to think because you commit suicide you automatically went to hell and that seems so harsh since you dont know whats in someones heart you know...I dont know why i am writing all this i just thought its an example of how i really dont know if anyone knows what right, but each person has their own beliefs and convictions on the issue of God or religion....
Very sweet post Michelle :blowkiss:

I just know one simple thing, that I am simple. I won't be running around with my pants down nor will I be not acknowleging what is going on. I am somewhere in reality without fault. In the middle sort of or kinda of. I sound wishy washy and maybe I am. But I can react on a moments notice.

michelle said:
Michelle--

My father committed suicide. This is what caused me to seek a path of practice whereby I could benefit my father. The Church I was raised in more or less said my father was forever damned.

This was unsatisfying to me. I loved my dad very much and he was quite troubled.
That the Buddha said that hell is temporary and that the karma of killing yourself could be purified, made more sense to me. More than a judging God who would create beings and then damn them eternally when they screw up.

This is what led me to become a Buddhist.

So I only share that because we share that in common, surviving suicide. And nothing like severe suffering and loss leads one to grow and reach for a path more.

So...
there are many out there I would feel solidarity with, but there are illusory barriers of their words not their hearts.

dakini said:
Michelle--

My father committed suicide. This is what caused me to seek a path of practice whereby I could benefit my father. The Church I was raised in more or less said my father was forever damned.

This was unsatisfying to me. I loved my dad very much and he was quite troubled.
That the Buddha said that hell is temporary and that the karma of killing yourself could be purified, made more sense to me. More than a judging God who would create beings and then damn them eternally when they screw up.

So I only share that because we share that in common, surviving suicide. And nothing like severe suffering and loss leads one to grow and reach for a path more.

So...
there are many out there I would feel solidarity with, but there are illusory barriers of their words not their hearts.

Not mine,I assure you. I am sorry about your suffering.I am truly sorry.

dakini said:
Michelle--

So...
I had always even as a teen in the church had a problem with suicide and people being forever damned, a lot of people say that suicide is a selfish act but each incident is totally different its not right to put it all in the same category, i mean what about people with a terminal illness and mental issues surely the God that i believe in and the Bible talks about his love and mercy would never damn someone to hell because of their illness or their mental state at the time...I believe he is merciful and loving and even though some hard nosed christians will argue me till they are blue in the face i have yet to see them show me a scripture other then thou shall not committ murder, and i am sorry but i just dont buy it....To me murder is when you take someones life that does not want to die or cannot defend themselves.....I think its wrong to be that closed minded to think that they are damned.....

michelle said:
I had always even as a teen in the church had a problem with suicide and people being forever damned, a lot of people say that suicide is a selfish act but each incident is totally different its not right to put it all in the same category, i mean what about people with a terminal illness and mental issues surely the God that i believe in and the Bible talks about his love and mercy would never damn someone to hell because of their illness or their mental state at the time...I believe he is merciful and loving and even though some hard nosed christians will argue me till they are blue in the face i have yet to see them show me a scripture other then thou shall not committ murder, and i am sorry but i just dont buy it....To me murder is when you take someones life that does not want to die or cannot defend themselves.....I think its wrong to be that closed minded to think that they are damned.....
WOW....great post. I agree with you. :blowkiss:

Now, that is a subject I believe should be taught at home. I am not anti-homosexual. But it is a life style that is any thing but healthy.

Oh yeah , lets just get Johnny Redneck to teach his son and daughter about his views on gay people. Or what about the bible thumpers, let them teach their views also. How about small town folks. While we are at it, why don't these people share their views about women also. Unfortunately there is a so much prejudice against Gay people that fanatical views abound.

I can't see people taking a truthful and balanced approached if it is left up to them to teach the subject at home.

Every person no matter what their preference is, is still a human being and not a second class citizen.

It is not like a person suddenly choose an un healthy lifestyle. To them the lifestyle(which is very affluent, due to no kids) is natural. Only people who have deep seated prejudices against gay people think that they have an unhealthy lifestyle. I am sure they eat their veggies, exercise and get regular checkups. So their lifestyle is healthy..........

I would promote abstinence for all students. Sexuality should be a private thing.

Oh abstinence is working so well, that is why you have so many teenage pregnancy..............I rather teach girls on how to protect themselves, then to suffer the lifelong consequences(both for the mother and baby)of poverty and neglect and abuse. Unwanted babies, abused babies, are not a private matter any more. Sexuality is a natural human condition...........just watch MTV or videos and then you will see what the teens see on a daily basis.

Teenagers are going to have sex, there is no two ways about it, so if that is the case(Bible or no Bible)teach them how to be responsible and not ruin their lives due to an unwanted pregnancy. Protect themselves against disease......

I really do not appreciate anyone who wants to be defined by who they have sex with.

But you are doing just that by saying that there is something wrong with gay people because of whom they decide to have sex with. Oh yes, you have already defined people by whom they have sex with, by saying that gay people lead a unhealty lifestyle. Please don't say in the same sentence that you are not anti-homsexual, but that gay people have a unhealty lifestyle.

Both sentences contradict each other...........

The most loving and humanitarian people I know are gay. I would never condemn the lifestyle just because it isn't mine. Don't go around putting words where they don't belong. We are not all red neck screaming assholes. Some of us know difficulties and some of us recognize people with hearts.

CyberLaw said:
Now, that is a subject I believe should be taught at home. I am not anti-homosexual. But it is a life style that is any thing but healthy.

Oh yeah , lets just get Johnny Redneck to teach his son and daughter about his views on gay people. Or what about the bible thumpers, let them teach their views also. How about small town folks. While we are at it, why don't these people share their views about women also. Unfortunately there is a so much prejudice against Gay people that fanatical views abound.
Why do you use the word "redneck"? Are people in the south the only ones you think that do this type of thing? I think the term you chose distracts from your post.

CyberLaw said:

I can't see people taking a truthful and balanced approached if it is left up to them to teach the subject at home.

Every person no matter what their preference is, is still a human being and not a second class citizen.

It is not like a person suddenly choose an un healthy lifestyle. To them the lifestyle(which is very affluent, due to no kids) is natural. Only people who have deep seated prejudices against gay people think that they have an unhealthy lifestyle. I am sure they eat their veggies, exercise and get regular checkups. So their lifestyle is healthy..........

I would promote abstinence for all students. Sexuality should be a private thing.

Oh abstinence is working so well, that is why you have so many teenage pregnancy..............I rather teach girls on how to protect themselves, then to suffer the lifelong consequences(both for the mother and baby)of poverty and neglect and abuse. Unwanted babies, abused babies, are not a private matter any more. Sexuality is a natural human condition...........just watch MTV or videos and then you will see what the teens see on a daily basis.

Teenagers are going to have sex, there is no two ways about it, so if that is the case(Bible or no Bible)teach them how to be responsible and not ruin their lives due to an unwanted pregnancy. Protect themselves against disease......

I really do not appreciate anyone who wants to be defined by who they have sex with.

But you are doing just that by saying that there is something wrong with gay people because of whom they decide to have sex with. Oh yes, you have already defined people by whom they have sex with, by saying that gay people lead a unhealty lifestyle. Please don't say in the same sentence that you are not anti-homsexual, but that gay people have a unhealty lifestyle.

I myself am a believer in God and i believe the Bible and so forth...I agree with you on the abstinence thing, teens are gonna have sex and i am gonna raise my kids that i think they should wait, but.....and thats a but, lol...if they cant and give in i want them to be safe, pregnancy is not for the the worst thing that can happen, thats what they threatened me with when i was a teen, be more afraid of aids, and std's....I also am not one for the homosexual lifestyle but i am not a bible thumping hater of gay people, my dear cousin is gay and i dont agree and she knows it.....So i think it is possible to agree to disagree but still get along.....:D

I guess that is what got my dander up. I really resent being put in a category just because I live in the South. I am just people and one should be so glad that I am your friend no matter what your circumstances. I hate pigeon holes.

Kids will inevitably learn about Hitler sometime in school ... Hitler's war was on Jewish people .... and it was because of their .... RELIGION.

Most wars were fought based on religion. I'm not necessarily for teaching about one religion. I'm for worldly religions and involving them with history.

We are but a hair on the timeline of this earth. The earth is billions of years old. While history began, there were animals, religious crusades, wars, famine, and now there's all that and more, including technology and the age of the Internet ... we can't just eliminate teaching children about something because we personally choose not to believe in it. We should allow our children the choice to decide for themselves what they think without our bias. That's the problem with this world. We raise our children with this bias of what we think is right and wrong and good and bad. And often times, we can be wrong ourselves.

I don't really know what I am trying to say, lol. So I will shut up. I am not trying to piss anyone off, so please don't hit me with any fruit or vegetables. I'm ducking out now! :truce:

PrayersForMaura said:
we can't just eliminate teaching children about something because we personally choose not to believe in it.

Some people believe they can transform other people's DNA over the internet. I don't believe it. Should the school teach it to my children? Who's to decide?

PrayersForMaura said:
That's the problem with this world. We raise our children with this bias of what we think is right and wrong and good and bad. And often times, we can be wrong ourselves.

So because we, as parents, could be wrong, we should allow strangers to decide what's right for our children? I don't think so.

Ella said:
I wonder what you think we should teach homosexuals? That they are abnormal? Bad? What should they do with their future? Suicide?
Now, that is a subject I believe should be taught at home. I am not anti-homosexual. But it is a life style that is any thing but healthy. I would promote abstinence for all students. Sexuality should be a private thing. I really do not appreciate anyone who wants to be defined by who they have sex with.
Ella--

This is a statement that is offensive to gay people. There are more gay people around than you know of who are leading healthy lifestyles and who have loving families, spiritual values, law abiding, tax paying, kind, and responsible.

It happens to be a big fat pain in the butt (no pun intended) to be defined by other people who are completely ignorant of their gay friends and neighbors working and living right beside them under their noses.

Sexuality is a private thing. Affection, is both public and private. Gay people are pretty sick of being defined by who they have sex with. For petesakes, why not support gay marraige then and lets get on with more important world matters?

Go ahead and promote abstinence for all high school students, but get real. Study the history of human beings behavior. It does not conform to your ideal or mine.

Unless, you have been immersed in getting to know your gay friends and neighbors all you know about the "lifestyle" is propaganda or someone else's personal anecdotes.

Come on. I know there is a fair minded person in there. And answer the question. What is your response to a gay teenager? To a gay adult? What do you teach your children about gay people? That they are "out to get you?" To lead you into hell?

Why did God make gay people? So Christians can beat up on them or judge them or save them?

Mabel said:
Some people believe they can transform other people's DNA over the internet. I don't believe it. Should the school teach it to my children? Who's to decide?

So because we, as parents, could be wrong, we should allow strangers to decide what's right for our children? I don't think so.
obviously you let strangers decide what's best for your children all the time! Otherwise you'd be deciding what they study day in and day out in every single class every single day!!! that is what teachers are for!!
Why not home school them then? Why not seclude them from society and never let them learn or decide for themselves?

Thanks to my parents, i now have a complex about sex because i was taught it was wrong. Parents do not always know what is best for their kids. that's why there are professionals who do what they do and have degrees in what they do .... teaching and deciding what childen should learn to get them through the real world.

that's all i meant. but obviously even after i wrote that i wasn't trying to piss anyone off, maybe you missed that part .... :doh:

PrayersForMaura said:
obviously you let strangers decide what's best for your children all the time! Otherwise you'd be deciding what they study day in and day out in every single class every single day!!! that is what teachers are for!!
Why not home school them then? Why not seclude them from society and never let them learn or decide for themselves?'

No, I know what the curriculm is at my daughter's school. I know what she's learning and who is teaching it. Basically she's learning what she's supposed to be learning, the three R's. That's what teachers are for. Teaching religion and the bible is what churches are for. BTW, I have let my daughter decide for herself. She chooses to attend church faithfully (almost). I wouldn't step foot in a church if someone paid me.

Thanks to my parents, i now have a complex about sex because i was taught it was wrong. Parents do not always know what is best for their kids. that's why there are professionals who do what they do and have degrees in what they do .... teaching and deciding what childen should learn to get them through the real world.

I would never bury my head in the sand and leave important decisions about my child up to a stranger, regardless of how many letters they have after their name. Additionally, I would be willing to bet that there are more professionals who feel the bible shouldn't be taught in school than there are that do.

that's all i meant. but obviously even after i wrote that i wasn't trying to piss anyone off, maybe you missed that part .... :doh:

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm "pissed off". I don't do "pissed off".

Without planned parenthood many young girls would not be allowed to stay in their illegal sexual relations with adult males. Planned Parenthood does a great job covering up crime. The schools have done a great job teaching sex ed. Many kids would know nothing about using dental dams or group sex options.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back