Bosma Murder Trial 01.18.16 - Jury selection process commences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am here, was just waiting for trial to start...let's hope the judge keeps it running smoothly

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 7 guests)

:shush: I guess this case didn't gain as much attention here on WS as some people assumed. JMO

:shush: I guess this case didn't gain as much attention here on WS as some people assumed. JMO

It's still two more weeks before they get into any evidence.

They couldn't even report on what questions the lawyers are asking prospective jurors, so there is not a lot to say, is there? Well just that as usual DM is really animated in court. It's as if he's excited to be there.

Wow, so they must be through the estimated 1800 for SC to come up with this figure? That was fast. MOO.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 9m9 minutes ago
My estimate is that 70% of jury pool are willing & able to serve on #Bosma jury.

I think she means of the people that come through, 30% are deferred or excused because of various factors and 70% go on to be considered further.

It's still two more weeks before they get into any evidence.

They couldn't even report on what questions the lawyers are asking prospective jurors, so there is not a lot to say, is there? Well just that as usual DM is really animated in court. It's as if he's excited to be there.

So should we assume those questions covered under the PB were developed by the defense? :rolleyes:

Found this:
Essentially, Stephenson explains, the defence comes up with one or more questions that will be asked of each juror — approved by the judge, with input from the Crown. Questions are designed to detect obvious bias or prejudice toward the accused.

Often, this is done to detect a racial bias, but in high-profile cases there can be a publicity-based challenge for cause. If a bias is detected, either side can then challenge the juror to have them excluded as a result.

Each side also has a limited number of opportunities to challenge without cause (meaning they do not have to give their reason for rejecting a juror).

In a first-degree murder case, the defence — in this case, for each accused — can do this 20 times. And the Crown would get 40 challenges to match. These numbers would increase should the judge increase the size of the jury.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6235140-the-bosma-trial-jury-selection-and-court-attendance/

If DM is innocent as he says he is, I expect he is eager, as opposed to excited, to get things underway. I would be too. 3 years is a long time to wait for justice, whichever way the cookie crumbles. JMO

I am hoping to be at the trial on at least a couple of occasions, to show support for justice, I hope the truth is revealed.

The artists sketch of DM MS and AG isn't too accurate. I would never have guessed who they were supposed to be. JMO

30 year old Dellen Millard is wearing a rumpled greyish-brown suit jacket and jeans, the long thin braid he wore during pre-trial motions, cut.

Noticeably absent from the court room is the Bosma family.

Jury selection is expected to end early next week and the trial could last up to 4 months.

http://www.900chml.com/2016/01/18/58490/

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 22m22 minutes ago
Wow, #hamont jury selection rocked. Last time I was at jury selection (sup. court,Toronto) trial

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 24m24 minutes ago
"I have narcolepsy so I fall asleep," says woman at #TimBosma trial jury selection. She was deferred/excused (not sure which) #faultynotes

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 3h3 hours ago
Jury selection at the Tim Bosma murder trial is running along like a well oiled machine

The trial will run Monday through Thursday each week. Not sure about time schedule at this point. 10am until 5pm?

The trial will not be held during March break, March 14 - March 18, 2016.
Judge Goodman expects the trial to last for four months.
HTH and MOO.

Question: can Noudga be called as a witness for this trial or is she off limits based on her charges in the case?

I am back for the trial as well.

A lot of time has passed and yet the emotions are still fresh in my mind.

:grouphug:

Jury selection is the boring part of the Trial. I am sure many many more will join us here on Feb 1st when the trial gets underway.

Question: can Noudga be called as a witness for this trial or is she off limits based on her charges in the case?

That's a good question matou. I would imagine she can be but unless she wanted to cut a deal with the crown on her own charges by being an actual witness for the prosecution, I'd imagine she'd be a hostile one, so perhaps it wouldn't be in their best interest to call her. If she is pleading not guilty to her charges, perhaps she will be a witness for the defence with a story all her own.Then again, that would open her up to cross examination which might be an issue for her own case. I really don't know. We need a lawyer in here. Lol

Sharlene Bosma will be a witness though, and as such will not be able to attend the trial. I wonder if MB will also be one and therefore unable to attend as well. They would need her testimony for the timeline of when the trailer may have shown up in her driveway I would think? Or perhaps they will just go with her neighbour's testimony?

MOO

Yes she can be subpoenaed but nothing a "compelled witness" says can be used against them in another trial (ie in her own trial in Noudga's case)-- unless they perjure themselves.

ETA: No deals, bargains necessary.

ETA:

Section 13 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is a section of the Charter which, along with section 11 (c), specifies rights regarding self-incrimination.
It reads:
13. A witness who testifies in any proceedings has the right not to have any incriminating evidence so given used to incriminate that witness in any other proceedings, except in a prosecution for perjury or for the giving of contradictory evidence.

I followed this case like a hawk at the beginning. (Tim and I both posted a kijiji ad at the same time - and my church family knows his, his missing posters plastered Woodstock... it was all too close, too gut wrenching). I followed so close that I knew things about total strangers that they'd probably even forgotten themselves. I was rather obsessed about justice for the whole Bosma family. It got to be just too much as I'd wake up with this case on my mind and go to sleep at night in the same mode. Work started to suffer and I just had to step back (but I was okay with doing that because I knew local LE had this 100% in hand). I can say I don't know a single person in southern Ontario (or northern, or all across Canada, for that matter) that isn't eager for this trial to begin and justice to be served. And really, really praying, justice IS served.

Yes she can be subpoenaed but nothing a "compelled witness" says can be used against them in another trial (ie in her own trial in Noudga's case)-- unless they perjure themselves.

Thanks! That is really interesting to know.

Thanks ABro- can you let us know if the artist drawings of DM,MS and Justice G that were posted today bare any resemblance to the real people- in your opinion? Just curious- trying to get an accurate visual!! MOO

Thanks ABro- can you let us know if the artist drawings of DM,MS and Justice G that were posted today bare any resemblance to the real people- in your opinion? Just curious- trying to get an accurate visual!! MOO

I'm going to temporarily become an honourary US citizen and plead the fifth.

I have friends and church family in the Bosma circle. They have asked that people pray at 10 am each day that court begins, to remember Tim and hope that justice is served.

B822302964Z.1_20160118201636_000_GT71K7BR5.2_Gallery.jpg

"The rat-tail braid in Dellen Millard's hair is gone and there's a new ring on his wedding finger.
Millard, as usual, swivelled to take long glances around the packed courtroom. He wore a grey suit jacket, white collared shirt and blue jeans. His curious long rat tail that he'd been growing behind one ear for months was gone. And a ring — a dark band — made its first appearance on his left hand.
"

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6237902-clairmont-even-when-absent-a-bosma-presence/

Hmm, legit or looking for attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member