Bosma Murder Trial 02.10.16 - Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we're seeing why the officer did not remove anything from the trailer when he entered it to look for Tim. He had to have reasonable grounds to enter it at all (emergency, a life at stake), but could not go beyond that. A waarant was needed to search the trailer. He could not go into MB's house at all at that point, because he did not have reasonable grounds. They had to be very careful, so that evidence would not be ruled inadmissable at trial. He had to wait for the directive from his superiors to enter the trailer at all.

As for AJ in yesterday's discussion, as I said, SB's appeal acted on his conscience, because he has one.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:43 AM
"The lock wasn't actually securing the doors closed." she says. The bar going across the back of the trailer didn't secure the doors properly, she testifies.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:44 AM
After pulling over, the tow truck driver secured the door with a blue wire.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:45 AM
She requested an officer check the area for the box that had fallen out. She got to the OPP facility about 7:52 p.m.

Chills

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 2m2 minutes ago Hamilton, Ontario
Crown now showing officer a series of photos of the rear door of Millard's trailer #MillardSmich #Bosma

Sean Leathong ‏@SeanLCHCH 2m2 minutes ago Hamilton, Ontario
Court looking at photos of back of trailer. Towbridge says pad lock was on, but door was not secured. @CHCHNews #Bosma #MillardSmich

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Tow truck driver winds up wiring the door shut. #Bosma

Sean Leathong ‏@SeanLCHCH 43s43 seconds ago Hamilton, Ontario
Towbridge says they used blue wire to secure door and continued to Tillsonburg. @CHCHNews #Bosma #MillardSmich

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 38s38 seconds ago Hamilton, Ontario
Trowbridge made call for officers to go search for cardboard box #MillardSmich #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Tow truck driver had wire they used to secure a bar at bottom of doors. Rest of drive was smooth. Arrived at OPP facility just b4 8pm #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Arrived at Tilsonburg at 7:52 pm. Met by @OPP_News officer. Put trailer in a large secure bay, revealed rear door of trailer.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:46 AM
An OPP officer was there and let them into a large bay area in the facility where the trailer was parked. A new seal was then put on the back of the trailer.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:48 AM
Again, just to sum up - when the trailer carrying Bosma's truck was taken from Hamilton to an OPP facility, the back doors broke open on the drive over. A box flew out and the officer following the trailer ran it over with her unmarked car.

There was more than one tow truck. Clarification needed in cross-exam.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:49 AM
"When I came back to central station I met up with another officer who had initially gone to check the highway for me. I had her drive me back to the 403 to search for the box." This was about 10:15 p.m. She walked the area, and found a box, she believed it was the same one she drove over.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:50 AM
There were two pieces - one was just east of the Golf Links Road overpass. It was a fruit box, black with green on it.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:51 AM
"Even though it had been run over, it looked as though if it had been intact it would have been the same size as what came out of the vehicle." The box was empty when she found it. A second piece of the box was seized as well.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:46 AM
An OPP officer was there and let them into a large bay area in the facility where the trailer was parked. A new seal was then put on the back of the trailer.

Adam Carter
Again, just to sum up - when the trailer carrying Bosma's truck was taken from Hamilton to an OPP facility, the back doors broke open on the drive over. A box flew out and the officer following the trailer ran it over with her unmarked car.
Funny I was on the 403 that night and distinctly remember the police presence as if they were searching for something. It was so close to the TB disappearance and finding of his truck. Now I know! MOO

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Box was empty. #Bosma

When she got back to #HamOnt headed back out to hunt for the cardboard box. She found it. It was empty. Seized it (in 2 pieces) #Bosma

Sean Leathong ‏@SeanLCHCH 58s59 seconds ago Hamilton, Ontario
Crown finished questions with Townridge. Now Millard's lawyer begins cross. @CHCHNews #MillardSmich #Bosma

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:52 AM
Millard's lawyer Ravin Pillay now cross examining.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:53 AM
“I take it you understood the importance of what you were tasked with doing that day,” Pillay asks. She responds yes.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:54 AM
"You didn't take any steps to ensure the doors to the trailer were closed or locked?" Pillay asks. "I did not, no," she responds. She doesn't know if anyone else checked the doors either.

Adam Carter

RSBM

A defense lawyer's dream right there!

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:54 AM
"You didn't take any steps to ensure the doors to the trailer were closed or locked?" Pillay asks. "I did not, no," she responds. She doesn't know if anyone else checked the doors either.

Sloppy!

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:55 AM
"It's important in your mind to transport this trailer undisturbed to this location undisturbed?" Pillay asks. Yes, she responds. The trailer was being moved so forensics officers could examine it.

Adam Carter
Trowbridge says the doors opening was a shock to her. When it happened, they were going about 110 km/h.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Now under cross by Ravin Pillay, Millard lawyer. Establishing that she knew importance of trailer and need for full forensic exam.

Sean Leathong ‏@SeanLCHCH 1m1 minute ago Hamilton, Ontario
Millard lawyer asks Towbridge if she thought it was a big problem when doors come open. She says "yes" @CHCHNews #Bosma #MillardSmich

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 57s57 seconds ago
When the doors fling open and box flies out "this was a problem. A big problem," says Pillay. Officer agrees. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 46s46 seconds ago
Pillay: (once pulled up next to tow truck) you can't know if anything else came out? No, my eyes were on the driver. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
When officer drives up beside tow truck to stop driver, she can't see if anything else falls out of trailer.

Sean Leathong ‏@SeanLCHCH 2m2 minutes ago Hamilton, Ontario
Towbridge also asked if she knows for sure if anything else came out. She cannot be sure. @CHCHNews #Bosma #MillardSmich

There was a green tarp that was hanging out the back, Pillay says. She stresses it did not completely fall out. #Bosma

***If he's going to make a big issue out of this then he's got nothing IMO. With any luck for you they lost more evidence against your client. :rolleyes:

Adam Carter
"I take it those large rear doors are swinging open while the trailer is open?" Pillay asks. She says yes.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:56 AM
She says one of her concerns is the scene inside the trailer is now unprotected.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:57 AM
"You don't know if anything else came out because your weren't watching it, correct?" Pillay asks. At one point she had to drive up to the side of the tow truck to get the driver's attention.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 10:58 AM
A green tarp also billowed out the back, she says, but didn't fall out or drag on the ground.

Yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members