Bosma Murder Trial 05.18.16 - Day 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Why do you physically abuse .. a woman you love?" Sachak asks. "I don't know the circumstances that happened that day, it's something that happened once and that was the end of it."
by Adam Carter 10:32 AM

Sachak says there's no circumstance in the world where she should have been abused. "I agree, it shouldn't go either way," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:32 AM

Sachak asks why Smich would call Meneses a *****. "I used very poor language at that time," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:33 AM

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 1m1 minute ago Toronto, Ontario
Sachak: You assaulted Ms. Marlena Meneses? Smich: Once. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 50s50 seconds ago
Sachak suggests he punched her. Smich says no. "Like I said it was something that happened once and then it stopped," he says. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 55s56 seconds ago
"We were together pretty much 24 hours a day, seven days a week." Sachak says he assaulted her.

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 53s54 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
A punch? A slap? A kick? Smich says no. "It wasn't like I beat her." #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 41s42 seconds ago
Still missing from this cross - other than Millard's lawyer blurting out Smich killed #Bosma, no questions about death/incineration @CTVNews

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 2m2 minutes ago
How did you abuse this 18 or 19 or 20 year old girl who is not at home anymore? Smich says, "I can't say."

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 1m1 minute ago
"It wasn't like I beat her or anything. One time I got physical." Smich hedges. Sachak gently asks again. Very slowly.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 38s38 seconds ago
"I don't recall." She cried? "I don't recall"

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Once he got "physical" with her, says Smich. "I could have grabbed her, somehow." Sachak says she was screaming and crying.

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
He says he "got physical with her" the one time. Smich says he doesn't recall says he might've grabbed her. #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 2m2 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Smich says he 'grabbed her somehow.' He doesn't recall if she cried. She told him to stop. #Bosma #HamOnt

Colin ButlerVerified account ‏@ColinButlerCBC 1m1 minute ago
Smich seems at a loss for words. "I grabbed her somehow, I don't recall." He says he doesn't think she was crying as Sachak suggests. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
Smich talking about "one time" he aboused Meneses. He says he didn't hit, slap or kick her. Just grabbed her. #Bosma @CTVNews

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Sachak asks why he would physically abuse a woman he loved. Smich says it's something that happened once, that's the end of it. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 41s41 seconds ago
Sachak says there's no justification in the world for abusing one's partner. Smich agrees. Sachak asks why, then, did he do it. #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 59s59 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
Sachak presses the issue. Why abuse the girl? Smich repeats his previous answers. It stopped. It was once. #Bosma #HamOnt

Meneses could have gone to her sisters' in Oakville or Mississauga or father's house. Smich didn't tell her to. "Because I loved her."

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
"I loved her," he says and didn't want her to move out. Sachak: "Why do you physically abuse a woman you love?"

Sachak suggests Smich called her his *****. "I used very poor language at that time, yes," he says. #Bosma

Sachak asks Smich about why he called Marlena a ***** in public? Smich: I used very poor language at the time. #Bosma #HamOnt

Sachak says again "that poor language is 'you are a *****' or 'you are my *****.'" #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 1m1 minute ago
"You are a *****" Smich can't be sure exactly what he called Meneses but agrees he shouldn't have. #Bosma @CTVNews

Sachak: Why call a woman you love so much, a *****? Smich: I was foolish. My vocabulary was terrible. #Bosma #HamOnt

"I was foolish. Like I said my vocabulary was terrible at that time," Smich says. Sachak asks why he'd humiliate her like that. #Bosma

"I was foolish, my vocabulary was terrible, and I didn't use good words at that time."
by Adam Carter 10:34 AM

"You'd agree with me that you had a temper, a volatile temper," Sachak says. "No, I would not," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:34 AM

Sachak says this shows no care or compassion on his part. Smich says he used this sort of language with everyone at this time.
by Adam Carter 10:35 AM

He says again he had "poor vocabulary." Sachak suggests he had a temper. Smich disagrees. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 4m4 minutes ago
"Why do you abuse a woman you love?" I don't know, something happened that day, Smich says. There is no excuse in the world, Sachak says.

"You had a volatile temper," Sachak says. "No I did not," Smich says. Sachak says that's what it take to abuse a lover.

"It takes someone to have no care or compassion to call their loved one a ***** in public." Sm says he used a poor choice of words w evone

Sachak: You agree you have a volatile temper? Smich: No I would not. #Bosma #HamOnt

eter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
Millard's lawyer "You had a volatile temper." Smich "No i did not." #Bosma @CTVNews

Sachak suggests "it takes somebody to have no care or compassion to refer to their lover as a *****." #Bosma

Once again Smich says he had poor vocabulary and used it with everyone. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 58s59 seconds ago
Smich would tell Marlena to sell drugs on his behalf. Smich says he told her to go back to school or get a job first. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 51s52 seconds ago
Sachak says she testified he told her to sell drugs. Smich says that's not exactly how it went down. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 37s37 seconds ago
"She was attached to my hip and that's what I was doing at the time." Also Smich says he wasn't selling drugs to random people. Just friends

Sachak asking about Marlena's testimony. She told the jury Mark wanted her to sell drugs. #Bosma #HamOnt

Sachak says she testified Smich told her to sell drugs. "I didn't want her selling drugs, because that's why I was asking her to go back to school and she didn't want to, so I said you should probably get a job because this isn't a good thing for you to do."
by Adam Carter 10:37 AM

Smich says that's not "exactly how it went down," and they were attached at the hip, and he wasn't selling drugs to just anyone.
by Adam Carter 10:37 AM

Sometimes Meneses' friends would call looking for drugs, and Smich would give them to her to sell to them. "It's a complicated situation to explain sir," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:38 AM

Like a few of the journalists in the courtroom have said - the jury may wonder why Sachak isn't asking lots of questions and details on the killing itself, incinerator, etc. 10 hours and nothing yet. I hope Sachak has something up his sleeve/a bigger point but I'm not hopeful right now.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 50s50 seconds ago
Meneses was trafficking on his behalf. "It was something i was doing at the time and I didn't want her to...."

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 16s16 seconds ago
How did the drugs get in her hands? Sometimes her friends would call and she would sell them some. Smich was her supplier.

Sachak says she was doing this on his behalf. Smich says again he didn't want her doing it, that it's what he was doing. #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
"It was something I was doing at the time and didn't want her doing. I wanted her to do something good with her life." #bosma

Sachak asks how the drugs got into her hands. Asks who her supplier was. Smich says he would have the drugs around. #Bosma

He says she wasn't dealing drugs for him. Says it's a complicated situation to explain. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Smich says he wanted her to go back to school. "She was attached to my hip and that's (drug dealing) what I was doing at that time."

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
He says the money would then go to pay for her phone or for food. He says his mom would not have known about this. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 37s38 seconds ago
Sachak says Marlena Meneses said he got her to lie to people about quantity of drugs (ripping them off). #Bosma

"Sometimes her friends would call and they wanted to buy weed," says Smich. Marlena got the drugs from him.

Smich says he doesn't know anything about that. Says he didn't use 'tricky scales' says he was selling to friends. No one complained.

Millard's lawyer working through Smich / Meneses selling drugs. He says, they sold to friends, don't know about rip offs #Bosma @CTVNews

May 18 2016 10:39 AM
"Marlena testified that you got her to lie on your behalf about the quantity of drugs she was selling," Sachak says. Smich says he doesn't recall that.

I don't recall that either. She said 1lb and MS said 2lbs. Again, Maybe she just doesn't know the difference.

"Marlena testified that you got her to lie on your behalf about the quantity of drugs she was selling," Sachak says. Smich says he doesn't recall that.
by Adam Carter 10:39 AM

"Nobody complained, put it that way," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:40 AM

Sachak starts explaining scales. "Not everybody is a drug dealer," Sachak says. "Im sure anybody who has used a scale to weigh themselves knows what a scale is," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:41 AM

Sachak is talking about the "tricky scales" that were brought up in Meneses' cross-examination. Smich says he had scales that worked perfectly fine.
by Adam Carter 10:42 AM

"I don't recall this whole event you're talking about," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:43 AM

Sachak says that using "tricky scales" could be dangerous, Smich again ays no one ever complained.
by Adam Carter 10:44 AM

"You could potentially endanger your life," Sachak says. Smich says he'd agree if this was selling to random people, but they were selling to friends.
by Adam Carter 10:44 AM

"In the drug culture, there is a code," to not "engage in drug rip offs," Sachak says. "It would be foolish and dangerous, of course," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:45 AM

May 18 2016 10:39 AM

I don't recall that either. She said 1lb and MS said 2lbs. Again, Maybe she just doesn't know the difference.

She did mention the tricky scales, and it was not related to the weed they got from AM. But again he doesn't remember. Not denying it, just doesn't recall every being a cheat. Convenient?

MOO

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 3m3 minutes ago
"It's a complicated situation, sir." If she sold drugs she'd get money for her phone or for food.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 3m3 minutes ago
Smich says his mother wouldn't have known about the drug dealing. #TimBosma

Meneses testified that sometimes she used "tricky scales" and sold drugs at inflated prices. Smich is trying to explain

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 52s53 seconds ago
Sachak is accusing Smich of telling Marlena to do drug rips of customers. Shorting them on their drugs with "tricky scales." #bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 51s51 seconds ago
Tricky scales, Sachak explains, means it's rigged to give a false reading. Smich says he's not aware of this, sometimes didn't use a scale.

Smich says he's not aware of tricky scales. He sometimes didn't use scales. He sold to friends. He's not sure what Meneses was talking about

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 26s27 seconds ago
Sachak explains that tricky scales have been altered so that drug buyers can be tricked into thinking they are getting more drugs

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Smich says he never used "tricky scales." Sachak says Marlena testified she lied to customers about amount of drugs she sold them.

Sachak asks if she did this on Smich's behalf. He says not that he's aware of, but it was a long time ago. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 20s21 seconds ago
"There's times where I wasn't around and somebody would call." Smich would tell her over the phone to get drugs & weigh them

Sachak asks if he owned tricky scales. Smich says he owned scales that worked "perfectly fine." #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Smich says he had scales and they worked perfectly find. He says sometimes Marlena did deals on her own when he was out. #Bosma

Sachak asking Smich whether he used a 'tricky sale' when selling drugs. Smich said all of his scales worked properly. #Bosma #HamOnt

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 53s53 seconds ago
That is very dangerous to a human being, Sachak says, lying to drug purchasers. Smich says no one ever complained.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 21s21 seconds ago
"I would agree if you're talking about selling drugs to random people on the street. Selling to friends, no one ever complained," Smich says

Sachak says lying to drug users can be dangerous. Smich agrees, but adds nobody complained. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 40s40 seconds ago
Sachak suggests that ripping people off could be very dangerous. Smich agrees that'd be true if that's what they were doing. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 50s51 seconds ago
The friends would become your enemies if they knew they were being deceived, Sachak says, and Smich agrees. "Foolish & dangerous"

Sachak says lying to drug users can be dangerous. Smich agrees, but adds nobody complained. #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 57s58 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
Sachak says it's dangerous behaviour, to use tricky scales to manipulate drug users into thinking they are getting more drugs #Bosma

It's all well and good to point out MS' flaws. I think we are all aware that he was not a 'good' person and was troubled. However, that does not mean he is a cold blooded killer - based on this line of questioning. Waiting for Leitch for Crown - now that should get interesting!

Sachak now talking about how Meneses testified that Smich wanted her to work with another man's girlfriend as a stripper.
by Adam Carter 10:45 AM

"In terms of me telling her you have to be a stripper, I'd say that would be absolutely false," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:46 AM

Smich says Meneses saw this woman counting money, and asked her how she got it, and the conversation spiralled out from there.
by Adam Carter 10:46 AM

"I wouldn't have told her, I would have, I'm trying to bring my memory back," Smich asks.
by Adam Carter 10:47 AM

"I was very adamant about her getting a job ... I was trying to get her in the direction of making her own money," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:48 AM

Like a few of the journalists in the courtroom have said - the jury may wonder why Sachak isn't asking lots of questions and details on the killing itself, incinerator, etc. 10 hours and nothing yet. I hope Sachak has something up his sleeve/a bigger point but I'm not hopeful right now.

Because those question implicate DM his client....the only bad thing NS is saying DM did was plan to steal a truck....MS "the bad guy" with the bad life history did it all. The crown when they cross will get into all of that.

At this point, Meneses was working at Millard's hangar, cleaning washrooms, etc.
by Adam Carter 10:48 AM

Sachak says there's nothing wrong with cleaning bathrooms. "If you want to go there, I don't think there's a problem with any job, including being a stripper," Sachak says.
by Adam Carter 10:49 AM

"You're putting her in a position where there's a rampant amount of drugs and the potential for violence," Sachak says. Smich says he's never been with a stripper, so he doesn't really know that world.
by Adam Carter 10:50 AM

"It could have been a joke or something stupid I said ... you could be a lawyer, you could be a doctor, it's an occupation," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 10:50 AM

Smich agrees it would be 'foolish and dangerous' but maintains he sold to friends only, his scales worked #Bosma #HamOnt

Sachak says Meneses testified that Smich wanted her to work with Isho's girlfriend. #Bosma

Smich says he believes one day they were hanging out there and Isho's gf was counting money and Marlena asked where she got it. #Bosma

"In terms of me saying 'you have to be a stripper,' that's absolutely false," he says. #Bosma

Meneses told court Smich wanted her to work with Iisho's girlfriend, a stripper. Is that true? "Um, take my mind to that..." Smich says

"I think we were hanging out there and Iisho's girlfriend was counting money, and Marlena wanted to know where she got it," Smich says

Colin ButlerVerified account ‏@ColinButlerCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Smich says it was "absolutely false" that he tried to get Marlena Meneses to become a stripper. #Bosma

Sachak suggests Isho's girlfriend was gorgeous. Smich says he doesn't know which gf this is in reference to. #Bosma

Smich is disagreeing with Marlena's testimony - that he wanted her to be a stripper #Bosma #HamOnt

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
"I will take my mind to that..." That is how Mark Smich takes time to try to remember something. Buffer. #Bosma @CTVNews

Sachak asks well which one was a stripper. Smich says "maybe all of them," he says he doesn't know. #Bosma

Smich says at this time she was working with him and Dell. He says he had been very "adamant" about her getting a job. #Bosma

Smich says he was very "adamant" about Marlena getting a job. "Is that the right word? Adamant? Am I using it right?" #bosma

"Maybe all of Iisho's girlfriends were strippers?" I don't know. Meneses was crying in front of the jury, re: wanting her to be a stripper

Says he did not tell her to be a stripper. Now trying to remember which one of Isho's "gorgeous" stripper girlfriends was counting money.

Smich says he doesn't speak to Isho's girlfriend, so he doesn't know. #Bosma

Smich "There is nothing wrong with any job, including a stripper, cleaning bathrooms..." #Bosma @CTVNews

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
"If you want to go there, I don't think there's a problem with any job, including being a stripper," Sachak says. #TimBosma #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 54s54 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
Smich "It could've been possibly a joke" #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 46s46 seconds ago
Millard's lawyer hammering Smich over him allegedly asking Menenes to be a stripper. He says, might have been a joke #Bosma @CTVNews

The advice for this teenager away from home was get naked and dance in front of men? That's what you told her?

"Rampant amount of drugs and potential for violence" if she were a stripper. Maybe it was a joke, Smich says He's never been with a stripper

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Smich says he might've been joking.

Sachak now talking about Smich's criminal record, and says Smich has seven convictions.
by Adam Carter 10:51 AM

Smich is refreshing his memory from his record. He says that's correct.
by Adam Carter 10:52 AM

The first part of his record starts in 2003.
by Adam Carter 10:52 AM

Because those question implicate DM his client....the only bad thing NS is saying DM did was plan to steal a truck....MS "the bad guy" with the bad life history did it all. The crown when they cross will get into all of that.

Which just to point out, is a complete 180 from RP with the 'he has money he doesn't need to steal anything' picture they were trying to paint 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg