Breaking: Fidel castro has died at 90.

Anyone else remember hiding under your desk in '62?

Absolutely one of the strongest and worst memories of my childhood was the Cuban missile crisis. Listening to the trains all running south, 24 hours a day, moving our equipment to south Florida.

Absolutely one of the strongest and worst memories of my childhood was the Cuban missile crisis. Listening to the trains all running south, 24 hours a day, moving our equipment to south Florida.

Yep, first grade for me.

Yep, first grade for me.

LOL. You're making me feel old. I was in the 8th grade in a school in north central Florida.

I remember looking at a few classmates while we were hiding and we were all thinking the same thing "Are they kidding? We'll all be dead in the first strike".

Yes, we had a bomb shelter as well. What i'm wondering is how long will it take for the cubans to hear this wonderful news? Peoople in California will wake to the news before lots of the Cuban people. Jmo

I was actually pro Castro in the 1950s when he was fighting Batista, the then Cuban dictator who was a partner with the American Mafia. My opinion of him changed shortly after he assumed. power and we found out that he was a partner with the Soviet Union..

I can't believe the warm eulogy Castro is getting from some world leaders like the one from the Canadian Prime Minister:

“A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and health care of his island nation,” Trudeau said in a statement released by the Canadian government. “While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for 'el Comandante.' "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...roversial-prompting-trudeaueulogies/94490862/

No wonder Senator Marco Rubio blasted it asking if it was a parody.

I will always wonder about the the possible Cuba connection to the assassination of President JFK.

I can't believe the warm eulogy Castro is getting from some world leaders like the one from the Canadian Prime Minister:

“A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and health care of his island nation,” Trudeau said in a statement released by the Canadian government. “While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for 'el Comandante.' "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...roversial-prompting-trudeaueulogies/94490862/

No wonder Senator Marco Rubio blasted it asking if it was a parody.

I will always wonder about the the possible Cuba connection to the assassination of President JFK.

Mockery of Trudeau's eulogy has produced some hilarious satire.

But perhaps the dissatisfaction with Trudeau’s statement on Castro was best expressed with satire and a Twitter hashtag. Some examples:

Cam Vidler @camvidler

'Though not universally liked by his compatriots, Mr. Ceausescu was a leader in urban design and affordable housing' #trudeaueulogies

Andrew Coyne ✔ @acoyne

“While a controversial figure, even detractors recognize Pol Pot encouraged renewed contact between city and countryside.”

Andrew Coyne ✔ @acoyne

“While a controversial figure, General Tojo brought America into World War II and ultimately helped shorten the war.” #trudeaueulogies

Mike Hogan @tsnmikehogan

Today we mourn the loss of Norman Bates, a family man who was truly defined by his devotion to his mother. #trudeaueulogies

J.J. McCullough @JJ_McCullough

#trudeaueulogies “Today we say goodbye to Mr. Mussolini, the former Italian prime minister best known for his competent train-management.”

Jason Hickman @jasonhickman

#trudeaueulogies

"While Emperor Nero was controversial, his dedication to song and writing poetry signaled a Roman artistic renaissance."

BBM.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...tatement-much-hilarity-ensues-trudeaueulogies

There’s lots more like that if you browse through the #Trudeaueulogies hashtag.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/trudeaueulogies?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^hashtag

Couple more good ones:

Osama Bin Laden was certainly a controversial figure, but his contribution to airport security is unparalleled.

Let us remember Jack the Ripper as a great benefactor who worked tirelessly to get female prostitutes off the streets.

Against all odds, Charles Manson not only kept his family together, he made sure they achieved most of their squad goals

Mr. Ponzi, a hard-working Italian immigrant, ushered in a new era of financing techniques now used by governments worldwide

Absolutely one of the strongest and worst memories of my childhood was the Cuban missile crisis. Listening to the trains all running south, 24 hours a day, moving our equipment to South Florida.

Thanks for mentioning this. I lived in S. FL. I was too young to remember, but my parents told me that day and night, trains would head south. S. FL didn't have many tracks, so the trains were very long, one after another. The trains were the first clue to the boozy, laid-back crowd that lived in Lauderdale. They spent most of their time at the beach or on boats, lived in their bathing suits. Except to visit the bars - so much a part of Ft. Liquordale. Then men wore a sort of yachting attire. And the women were all curves, with tight shift dresses and low cut fronts and backs.

After Kennedy spoke to the nation, everyone sobered up quick! Strange men came about commandeering trucks and other things. Access to Port Everglades closed, and the denizens of this drinker's haven saw what looked like warships from the beach. Binoculars were in high demand. People started going to church. Men and women both screamed "We are going to die" over and over again.

Scary times. Lauderdale went back to business as usual after the crisis passed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bdaruvdhj
Back