Bret Michaels Rushed to ICU with Brain Hemorrhage

I certainly hope he makes it through to a full recovery. Poison is one of my favorite bands still.

One of my favorites:

[video=youtube;Oztkl0GKTng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oztkl0GKTng[/video]

I was wondering how old Brett is so I looked it up. He was born March 15, 1963; he just turned 47 last month. My prayers go out to him and his daughters.

Does anybody remember when Bret Michaels was walking off stage during the Tony awards and the sign came down and he ran smack into it. I think it broke his nose, and now I'm wondering if that caused further damage? Here is the video.

[video=youtube;XtszcJtZB4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtszcJtZB4U&feature=related[/video]

Ugh still nothing! so sad still praying. I know he was in a really bad accident years back as well. Poor guy I just want him to get better.

Subarachnoid bleeds are not good. Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that since it was a hemorrhagic stroke rather than a thrombotic one, it is pretty unlikely that the appendectomy or the incident at the Tony awards had anything to do with it.

I'm not a Poison fan or anything, but I do hope he pulls through. Right now, I don't think it looks good, sadly, and the utter lack of updates isn't doing much to boost my confidence. :(

Edited to clarify that I'm by no means an expert.

I agree that a clot would cause a stroke and not a hemorrage. My cousin passed away from a cerebral hemorrage while about 4 months pregnant and home alone. It's been years ago, but doctors said that she was probably born with a defect that eventually hemorraged.

really, really hope he pulls through this

I remember the good ol' 80's hair band days (yeah, I had the hair too lol)

but more recently I've seen him on various shows & he really seems like such a good guy, with a generous heart

sending good thought your way Brett - the world needs good people like you!

from: http://www.bretmichaels.com/2010/news_files/news.shtml

Update -- Posted by Janna on Sunday, April 25 2010
Everyone at Michaels Entertainment would like to thank all fans and friends for their continued thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located. As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

At the end of Celebrity Apprentice, tonight, NBC made note of his situation and extended well wishes for his recovery. It was a comforting gesture, IMO...

Subarachnoid bleeds are not good. Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that since it was a hemorrhagic stroke rather than a thrombotic one, it is pretty unlikely that the appendectomy or the incident at the Tony awards had anything to do with it.

I'm not a Poison fan or anything, but I do hope he pulls through. Right now, I don't think it looks good, sadly, and the utter lack of updates isn't doing much to boost my confidence. :(

Edited to clarify that I'm by no means an expert.

Reading up on such strokes, over and over I read how diabetic patients are at a higher risk for them, and we do know that Bret is diabetic. Aneurysms tend to be ticking time bombs that are around for a while, before they rupture, so this may be an issue he has had for a while. I hope they can find out where the bleeding is coming from and deal with it, quickly... because the longer this goes on, well... it's not good. :(

Medically, a "stroke" is called a CVA - Cardiovascular Accident is the medical term.

There are two types of strokes.

The first is referred to as an "ischemic" stroke and it is caused by a clot or piece of plaque that has broken loose within an artery and is lodged in the brain somewhere. The clot itself then prevents blood flow to areas beyond where the clot is located. And that brain tissue then dies due to a lack of oxygen getting to it.

The second type is a "hemmorraghic" type. This is a bleed within the brain due to either a "blow out" or a slow leak in an internal vessel, usually an artery. The blood itself that is leaking causes damage to the brain tissue because blood has a pH that is not freindly to brain tissue.

An aneurysm is weakened area on an artery wall that is often "ballooned" outwards. There is one very serious type of genetic abnormality that is well known to occur at the base of the brain called a Circle of Wills deformity. This is a very serious situation, often resulting in permanent damage or death.

reading a biography on legandary u.s senator daniel webster it seemed the biographer had a theory that websters death actually stemmed from a carriage accident 4 or 5 months earlier in which he hit his head. during the last months of his life he made incoherent speaches and resigned from his then position as secretary of state because he felt he couldnt do his duties.

after watching brett on the apprentice last night with his misplacing the letters on the ad and stuff, i wonder about hitting his head on the stage.

Medically, a "stroke" is called a CVA - Cardiovascular Accident is the medical term.

There are two types of strokes.

The first is referred to as an "ischemic" stroke and it is caused by a clot or piece of plaque that has broken loose within an artery and is lodged in the brain somewhere. The clot itself then prevents blood flow to areas beyond where the clot is located. And that brain tissue then dies due to a lack of oxygen getting to it.

The second type is a "hemmorraghic" type. This is a bleed within the brain due to either a "blow out" or a slow leak in an internal vessel, usually an artery. The blood itself that is leaking causes damage to the brain tissue because blood has a pH that is not freindly to brain tissue.

An aneurysm is weakened area on an artery wall that is often "ballooned" outwards. There is one very serious type of genetic abnormality that is well known to occur at the base of the brain called a Circle of Wills deformity. This is a very serious situation, often resulting in permanent damage or death.

Always shocked - I am an RN,and it sounds like you are one too. Thanks for posting this - I wanted to post something similar yesterday, but just didn't have the heart to do it. I know so many here and elsewhere are hoping for Brett to pull through, so I didn't want to dash anyone's hopes prematurely.

With Donald Trump's update, which doesn't sound good, I am glad you posted the info you did. Over the weekend I read a short UPI story in the Birmingham News which stated the hemorrhage occcurred at the brainstem. That info,and that his condition is listed as critical, gave me a picture of a patient on a vent, and whose brain function has been severely compromised. Sadly, I had to wonder if he has not suffered brain death. The official statement over the weekend stated "further tests" would be done. From my personal experiences working in ICU such reports sound ominous, especially since so little factual information has been provided.

Mine too! My music taste may be a bit out of fashion these days, but I still love "Every Rose has it's Thorn".

Is your name "Gypsy Road" because of Cinderella?

I'm a music writer and 80s metal is my beat. Getting any information about of Bret's camp is impossible right now which further fuels my worry that this is even worse than what has been told thus far.

It's true Bret is very much into clean living - he's not a drug addict rocker like some may assume. One of my friends knows Bret's security guard (Big John if you've ever watched 'Rock of Love') and all John would say is "keep praying." I find it interesting that everyone so close to Bret immediately fell into lockstep with the messaging and is keeping quiet. There were some rumors at first put out by people that really didn't know much I guess.

I'd have to assume it didn't help Bret any when he was conked on the head at the Tony Awards last year. He was hit by a piece of staging and fell pretty hard...again, that's speculation on my part.

There were some horrible comments made about Bret online. Glad to see everyone here is so nice.

http://www.bringbackglam.com/journal/2010/4/24/wishing-bret-well.html

Kateyes: Yes, retired.

On the other hand, I personally know a man who had a brain bleed due to a Circle of Wills aneurysm and they went in and repaired it. He does have residual motor damage, but is actually doing quite well. Has returned to work, continues in a physcial therapy program. He is 48 years old.

Regarding the knock on the head months ago - I honestly think if that event caused a brain bleed there would have been symptoms long before this. The brain is SO sensitive to any change in environment - I am surely no expert, but can't imagine having a "slow bleed" going on for months.

Any other opinions on that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back