Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real problem are the sex offenders themselves. It begins with them.

I agree, however, once they are convicted, there is no excuse...with the mothers or the state! Hello? The judicial system is broken. Mothers??? IDK, common sense is a powerful tool - or should be.

Hello, SS.
I agree with what you are saying and do not place total blame on the mother's, but I do place some.

Brooke's case has garnered national attention and public outcry against sex offenders. Attention has been brought to how lenient the laws are where these sex offenders are concerned. Hopefully, laws will change. Our Louisiana governor has the right idea.

Now maybe more parents will talk with their children about this issue.[/quote]

I totally agree LA LAW,

Now the alligator needs another walk and I need some sleep.
See everyone in the morning.

DD

Goodnight, DeltaDawn. Sleep well.
I actually live across town from a bayou and we got gators there! We just might have your next 'new vehicle' in the making here!

I so agree with this. I am one of those parents that just wish sites like facebook and myspace would disappear. I know there are responsible adults that use them, but we did just fine without than for many years. I also realize its not just those sites, just the internet in general that poses problems.

It floors me the kids at such young ages that are on those sites. My daughter is 8 yrs old and she knows what myspace is because some kids at school have accounts. A mother of one of these students even asked me for my daughters screen name so they could add her as a friend. I was floored and almost speechless. She assured me that she monitors her activity on there, but feels its educational for her and in order to survive in todays society you have to use the internet. Well my daughter is surviving just fine without a myspace account at the age of 8.

I think the entire false sense of security is a really good point. How many times do you hear well they have a cell phone so if they get into a problem they can call. Is more freedom granted because the parents feel their children are just a phone call away?

I am wondering if the internet is a place for children at all. We don't take them to the neighborhood bar or to places where we know are dangerous...but we put a mouse in their hand and let them journey to much worse. Maybe we need to look at this on a different level and realize we are leaving predators an open door to our children every time they get online.

We are proud when our 5 year old can find his way around a computer. We say we pay attention to the places our 10 year old is visiting and know the people they are talking to. When they turn 13 years old, we give them accessibilities such as cell phones, text messaging, and more internet priviledges to further their abilities in this world. We might as well put up a sign that says, "Pedos Welcome!".

In this age of instant communication and the various ways around security of those devices...we can't protect them from the unseen dangers. We live with a false sense of security, imo. We need to open our own eyes and see the world we have helped to create.

Emails, cell phones, and the internet played a huge role here in the wrong hands.

I know it has been stated many times that Brooke was going to visit Gagnon in Texas. I don't know that it is true. While it seems that Jim may have said it, where did he get that impression? From her myspace or from Brooke? Was she planning a trip with Cassandra or without? Was she planning any trip at all or was this another thing posted on her myspace by Gagnon and MJ? Too many questions surrounding this so-called trip and without those answers...I don't know what to think.

I recall having heard Jim say that Brooke was looking forward to her trip to Texas.
I, too, would like to hear how Jim found out about Brook'e trip to Texas. Also, IF there was a trip planned, what did Brooke tell Jim about it? When was the trip going to be?

I am sure LE has asked Jim these questions when the MySpace message was found. I would like to know the answers.

I am wondering if the internet is a place for children at all. We don't take them to the neighborhood bar or to places where we know are dangerous...but we put a mouse in their hand and let them journey to much worse. Maybe we need to look at this on a different level and realize we are leaving predators an open door to our children every time they get online.

We are proud when our 5 year old can find his way around a computer. We say we pay attention to the places our 10 year old is visiting and know the people they are talking to. When they turn 13 years old, we give them accessibilities such as cell phones, text messaging, and more internet priviledges to further their abilities in this world. We might as well put up a sign that says, "Pedos Welcome!".

In this age of instant communication and the various ways around security of those devices...we can't protect them from the unseen dangers. We live with a false sense of security, imo. We need to open our own eyes and see the world we have helped to create.

Emails, cell phones, and the internet played a huge role here in the wrong hands.

The Internet is the world! I talk to my children and I know what's on their minds. They are honest with me and - knock on wood - are great kids. I know them, their personalalties. There is no one in their lives who are known freaks and I do believe I would know if something was "off" with either one of them. Kids today are smart and sophisticated. There is no reason we should have to shield our children from the world. These mothers knew the men in their lives were dangerous. Why punish the innocent when the problem is the freaks who are out there???

I am also one who would be happy if MySpace and Facebook were gone. It is dangerous for even the older teens as well as young twenty-somethings looking for friendship.
In the Lauterbach case, I did extensive searching on MySpace for Cesar's page, as did a lot of people. I was horrified at what I saw! I had never paid any attention to it prior to that.

Thank God for people who have gone into the field of computer forensics! Look how it has helped in this case!

Wow! Well stated! Especially your opening paragraph! It made ME sit up and think about it!

"I am wondering if the internet is a place for children at all. We don't take them to the neighborhood bar or to places where we know are dangerous...but we put a mouse in their hand and let them journey to much worse."

The Internet is the world! I talk to my children and I know what's on their minds. They are honest with me and - knock on wood - are great kids. I know them, their personalalties. There is no one in their lives who are known freaks and I do believe I would know if something was "off" with either one of them. Kids today are smart and sophisticated. There is no reason we should have to shield our children from the world. These mothers knew the men in their lives were dangerous. Why punish the innocent when the problem is the freaks who are out there???
Come back and talk to me when your kids are grown...and they sit you down for that "I did this and that conversation". You will realize you did not know what was on their minds all the time, they are only kids no matter how great, and you said it yourself..."Kids today are smart and sophisticated.".

Forgive me, but I believe you are a bit naive to honestly think kids...your own or anyone else's...can't hide even the most horrendous things from you. They do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500