Burke and the Nintendo

It's very odd that he wasn't even attempting to find out what had happened. I think Burke was too young to have an 'escape' method. My thinking is that when adults throw themselves into work when they grieve, it is somewhat on a conscious level.

My understanding is that he was shipped out pretty early on - soon after they 'woke' him at 7am. I could be wrong, though, I am sure there are some who won't miss a second to correct me!

Eagle1 said:
When Burke was sent over to the Whites', he took the game along. I've always wondered how he could be interested in even the hottest game in the world at such a time if he knew his sister had just died. He was there when they brought the body upstairs, correct?

Could he understand?

We're ourselves FORGETTING a detail here and there, and we haven't just lost a child, so we may as well remember they may have just forgotten instead of deliberately lying. I like to see both sides of a thing.

Shouldn't Burke have been too upset to play with a game, or was it like when grieving people bury themselves in their work to keep their minds off a death?
Burke didnt know his sister was dead at that stage Eagle, he only knew she was missing. Brefie is correct with the time he left, he left at 7am, with the Nintendo tucked under his arm.
That's pretty much all Burke wanted to do, was play that Nintendo. He was also said to have been annoyed that their trip was cancelled.

narlacat said:
Burke didnt know his sister was dead at that stage Eagle, he only knew she was missing. Brefie is correct with the time he left, he left at 7am, with the Nintendo tucked under his arm.

Something else is a little odd about the Ramseys letting Burke take the Nintendo out of the house. The Nintendo 64 absolutely could not work unless it was hooked up to a television set, and usually it was through a switcher box, so that the player can switch between broadcast tv and the game. Obviously, Burke or some adult had to have the presence of mind to unhook the Nintendo from the tv in Burke's room.

But consider: On December 26th, the local members of the media learned pretty quickly that there was a kidnapping of a child in Boulder. This would mean covering the story on the local tv channels. So why was Burke being encouraged to take, of all his gifts, a present that required he turn on the tv and risk being exposed to all the details, as they were known at the time, of his own sister's kidnapping and the ultimate discovery of her death?

Here is yet more evidence that Burke was likely obsessed with his Nintendo that Christmas, thus giving less credence to John's insistence that Burke wanted to put together some toy parking garage on Christmas night rather than play his Nintendo. I see here in the Linda McLean book JONBENET'S MOTHER that she personally saw Burke playing Nintendo games at Don and Nedra Paugh's house immediately after JonBenet's funeral. Obviously, this implies that the game was so extremely important to him, he insisted on bringing it with him to another state on the day when his own sister was being buried. But why would any adult encourage or allow this to have happened? If they were trying to protect Burke from media attention at that point, it seems the least effective way of doing that would be to let him have a game that, as said above, requires one have a working television to hook it up to, which risks having him see the stories being broadcast.

I can make sense of this in a theory that the Ramseys knew a cord, either controller or power, from the game was involved in JonBenet's strangulation (with the eventual ligature cord as cover-up). In that theory, keeping the Nintendo with Burke at all times would make complete sense, because it becomes almost invisible as evidence, having taken on a role as just a toy to distract a kid from all the fuss of his family's tragedy. But the Nintendo makes no sense as the one toy above all others that would help an innocent Ramsey parent protect his or her son from the television coverage of the crime.

If John has fabricated a story about him and Burke making some model up.

Then this must mean John had relayed this version of events to Burke prior to him leaving that morning, making Burke a co-conspirator in any potential criminal proceedings.

That Burke's co-operation in this collusion is required seems curious coming not so long after the alleged "We are not talking to you" statement.

If Burke had strangled JonBenet using the cord from the Nintendo then I would expect to see this reflected in the resulting forensic evidence, since the pattern left around the neck , is normally that of the asphyxiating material!

Jayelles said:
It is just another odd factor. Burke got the "hottest" christmas toy - an addictive computer game machine and yet he was playing with a model just hours after receiving it. It doesn't make sense - unless the machine was confiscated - or unless John Ramsey is lying about Burke playing with a model.

Jay, I have to agree-- my granson got a new Game cube for christmas last year, He drove us all nuts.

Socks

why_nutt said:
Here is yet more evidence that Burke was likely obsessed with his Nintendo that Christmas, thus giving less credence to John's insistence that Burke wanted to put together some toy parking garage on Christmas night rather than play his Nintendo. I see here in the Linda McLean book JONBENET'S MOTHER that she personally saw Burke playing Nintendo games at Don and Nedra Paugh's house immediately after JonBenet's funeral. Obviously, this implies that the game was so extremely important to him, he insisted on bringing it with him to another state on the day when his own sister was being buried. But why would any adult encourage or allow this to have happened? If they were trying to protect Burke from media attention at that point, it seems the least effective way of doing that would be to let him have a game that, as said above, requires one have a working television to hook it up to, which risks having him see the stories being broadcast.
I can't imagine parents letting their son play with the game that caused the death of JonBenet, and right after the funeral?

It doesn't fit. There is no evidence the Burke's voice was on the 911 call. BDI is weak.

Rupert said:
I can't imagine parents letting their son play with the game that caused the death of JonBenet, and right after the funeral?

It doesn't fit. There is no evidence the Burke's voice was on the 911 call. BDI is weak.

I respectfully disagree. I believe BDI, but my non-concrete theory does not include any game consoles.

You don't need a working telly connected to cable or satellite tv to hook up a Nintendo system, just need one that works enough to have a picture. My kid uses a tv next to the regular tv so we can still watch tv if he's playing a game, and it isn't connected to any service.

I believe Burke was heard on the 911 call, but I don't believe he killed his sister...he would have to be a criminal mastermind at nine years old to pull off that crime, right down to the creation and implementation of the EA device (I don't care how many hours of the Discovery Channel he watched - this whole crime, ransom note and all, is too complicated for a nine year old boy to have dreamt up and carried out, even with the help of a friend. An adult did that to JonBenet, and adults covered it up.)

I'm sure they let Burke take the Nintendo because it offered him something to do as well as blissful escape from reality - the only way a boy his age was going to be able to deal with the unexpected death of his little sister is by shutting it out and not dwelling on it at all.

Nuisanceposter said:
I'm sure they let Burke take the Nintendo because it offered him something to do as well as blissful escape from reality - the only way a boy his age was going to be able to deal with the unexpected death of his little sister is by shutting it out and not dwelling on it at all.
Interesting choice of words you used - "unexpected death" considering Burke was rushed out of the house before that was known for sure. At that point wasn't his sister just "kidnapped"?

Moab said:
Interesting choice of words you used - "unexpected death" considering Burke was rushed out of the house before that was known for sure. At that point wasn't his sister just "kidnapped"?
Wow, I didn't even notice I worded it that way...however, at that point, the police naively thought they were dealing with a kidnapping. I believe John and Patsy knew very well when they sent Burke and his Nintendo off that JonBenet was downstairs dead and were waiting for the right time to "find" her. I think they wanted Burke out of the house when that happened.

Nuisanceposter said:
I believe Burke was heard on the 911 call, but I don't believe he killed his sister...
It just amazes me! There is no proof presented publicly that Burke is on that tape. It is just heresay. For the BPD to let that out publicly and then not back it up after all this time - is disgusting (criminy!). I don't care who's guilty. If it's out of the bag, then it must go public. Prove me wrong. Send me an official recording on which I can hear Burke's voice and I'll eat my hat. It just isn't there. Why do people believe it?

It's sensational - that's why. Personally, I don't know if I truly believe it or not. It has no bearing on my theory, so I think this is why i don't really care. It doesn't prove or disprove my theory.

Brefie said:
It's sensational - that's why. Personally, I don't know if I truly believe it or not. It has no bearing on my theory, so I think this is why i don't really care. It doesn't prove or disprove my theory.
I think this will turn out like the Aisenberg tapes. You hear what you want to hear.

ST's account in his bookand depo aren't the same. In his book it's John and Burke. In the depo it's just Burke.

Rupert said:
It just amazes me! There is no proof presented publicly that Burke is on that tape. It is just heresay. For the BPD to let that out publicly and then not back it up after all this time - is disgusting (criminy!). I don't care who's guilty. If it's out of the bag, then it must go public. Prove me wrong. Send me an official recording on which I can hear Burke's voice and I'll eat my hat. It just isn't there. Why do people believe it?
Thinking there is not a voice on that tape was doubtful in my mind when I thought Burke was sleeping, and hence, it "couldn't" have been his voice. But now we know Burke was really awake, why couldn't it have been his voice?

I think your burden of proof here is a bit unrealistic Rupert. No one is going to send you or me an "official" recording of the 9-1-1 call. However, you may go here to listen to the call:http://www.forumsforjustice.org/

tipper said:
I think this will turn out like the Aisenberg tapes. You hear what you want to hear.

ST's account in his bookand depo aren't the same. In his book it's John and Burke. In the depo it's just Burke.
Let's not mislead readers here. The book and the depo are certainly not at odds with each other.

In his book, Steve Thomas had full licence over what he said whereas in the depo, he merely answered Lin Wood's questions. Wood didn't ask about John's voice on the tape - he asked specifically about Burke's. Burke's voice was however referred to as the "third" voice in the depo, so whose was the second voice if not John's?

The RST don't seem to be particularly worried about John's alleged voice on the tape. I fully agree with Moab - we now know Burke was awake why shouldn't he be downstairs asking what was up? It would be a perfectly normal and healthy reaction for a child who was comfortable in his own home and not afraid of his parents. IMO, the only reason that some people don't want Burke's voice to be on that tape is that it would mean proof of Ramsey lies. It has no guilty implications whatsoever for Burke Ramsey. In FACT - I would say lying upstairs pretending to be asleep was a more guilty behaviour.

My dogs do that when they know they've done something naughty.

Jayelles said:
Let's not mislead readers here. The book and the depo are certainly not at odds with each other.

In his book, Steve Thomas had full licence over what he said whereas in the depo, he merely answered Lin Wood's questions. Wood didn't ask about John's voice on the tape - he asked specifically about Burke's. Burke's voice was however referred to as the "third" voice in the depo, so whose was the second voice if not John's?

The RST don't seem to be particularly worried about John's alleged voice on the tape. I fully agree with Moab - we now know Burke was awake why shouldn't he be downstairs asking what was up? It would be a perfectly normal and healthy reaction for a child who was comfortable in his own home and not afraid of his parents. IMO, the only reason that some people don't want Burke's voice to be on that tape is that it would mean proof of Ramsey lies. It has no guilty implications whatsoever for Burke Ramsey. In FACT - I would say lying upstairs pretending to be asleep was a more guilty behaviour.

My dogs do that when they know they've done something naughty.
No, Burke and John would be a third and fourth voice on the tape.

Voice #1 = 911 operator
Voice #2 = Patsy
voice #3 = Burke
Voice #4 = John

ST depo:
[...]
I concurred with others that
there was a third voice on that tape that I believed to be Burke.
[...]

Q. Burke's or the voice of someone who could have been Burke Ramsey talking in the background
at the very end of Patsy Ramsey's, you know, conversation with 911.

A. Well, you're cutting right to the punch line. There is a long story behind it but, yes, myself and
others listened to that tape and heard this third voice.

Q. So do you -- were you able to identify that third voice, you personally?

A. Well, I don't have any training in voice identification, but certainly it sounded to me to be a young
male voice.

[...]

A. -- was Detective Hickman's travel to the Aerospace Corp. in Southern California, their
enhancement of that garbled noise at the end of that 911 call, those engineers preparing a report and
making findings I think identical to the detective who was there with the tape, her returning to the
Boulder Police Department with this information and then each of the detectives listening on
admittedly
lesser equipment inside the Boulder Police Department to these findings, I concurred with others that
there was a third voice on that tape that I believed to be Burke.
[...]

Your opinion of how Burke should have behaved has no more or less validity than mine. I have a son who would have laid low until he could sort out what was happening so it doesn't seem odd to me. Burke has never struck me as the rough and ready type.

Gotta go - farrier's here.

No Tipper - they are not including the 911 operator's voice. Wood states quite clearly that he is referring to a third voice in :-

their enhancement of that garbled noise at the end of that 911
The enhancement was of the conversation allegedly between Patsy, john and Burke. They didn't have to enhance the 911 operator's voice. ST did not change his sotry.

Nuisanceposter said:
Wow, I didn't even notice I worded it that way...however, at that point, the police naively thought they were dealing with a kidnapping. I believe John and Patsy knew very well when they sent Burke and his Nintendo off that JonBenet was downstairs dead and were waiting for the right time to "find" her. I think they wanted Burke out of the house when that happened.

John also wanted to "find" her before JAR and Melinda showed up.

Bumping this thread.....

9 JOHN RAMSEY: Vaguely. I went into his room

10 to wake him up. I told him that JonBenet was

11 missing, gone. I remember him crying and just kind

12 of hustling to get up. I remember him delaying to

13 get a toy or Nintendo or something like that

14 before he left to take with him. Fleet took him in

15 his Suburban. They went out the front door.

Again here, it's like John is trying to downplay the Nintendo.
Surely he knows the difference between a Nintendo machine and some toy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back