CA - 14 killed in San Bernardino mass shooting, 2 Dec 2015 #5

I totally agree with Tim Cook and his refusal. He states that with valid subpoenas and warrants they will, as always, comply. But creating a bypass just because the government sternly tells you to threatens the integrity and safety of the iPhone's encryption, and keeping everyone's data safe.

Apple to fight order to help hack San Bernardino shooter's phone | Fox News
[...]
Apple has provided default encryption on its iPhones since 2014, allowing any device's contents to be accessed only by the user who knows the phone's passcode. Previously, the company could use an extraction tool that would physically plug into the phone and allow it to respond to search warrant requests from the government.

The ruling by Pym, a former federal prosecutor, requires Apple to supply highly specialized software the FBI can load onto the county-owned work iPhone to bypass a self-destruct feature, which erases the phone's data after too many unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. The FBI wants to be able to try different combinations in rapid sequence until it finds the right one.

"The FBI may use different words to describe this tool, but make no mistake," Cook wrote. "Building a version of iOS that bypasses security in this way would undeniably create a backdoor. And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control."

[...]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/1...-san-bernardino-killers-phone-judge-says.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[...]
Apple ordered to decrypt iPhone of San Bernardino shooter for FBI | US news | The Guardian
[...]
Comey, the bureau’s director, has recently acknowledged the Obama administration will not dictate how Apple should code its wildly popular phones. That meant his agency had to figure out ways in existing law to still get access to the information.

One option is a 225-year-old law called the All Writs Act, which magistrate Sheri Pym cites in her three-page order dated 16 February. The law gives courts broad authority to ensure their orders are fulfilled.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hack-iphone-of-san-bernardino-shooter-for-fbi

I totally agree with Tim Cook and his refusal. He states that with valid subpoenas and warrants they will, as always, comply. But creating a bypass just because the government sternly tells you to threatens the integrity and safety of the iPhone's encryption, and keeping everyone's data safe.

I agree. Slippery slope, et al.

Sent via Tapatalk - Please excuse any mobile-induced typos. Thanks.

i'm saddened that the justice department ,my own government, is asking Apple to build a hack which could be used to infiltrate the lives and jeopardize the safety of almost every person in our country.

i'm glad Tim Cook is standing up for my right to privacy.

Thanks for all the replies! Does anyone worry or wonder whether any info on this phone could lead LE to other embedded terrorists or plots?

I don't think it is ok to spy on innocent people but we sure need to be able to get information from criminals no matter what! Tired of the criminals having more rights than the victims. I don't know how this will play out or which side of the apple is right or wrong at this time, but I would do anything for justice for innocents, or to keep others from being harmed by Criminals.

the 2 killers destroyed their personal phones and their personal computer(s).

I don't think that they "forgot " to destroy the man's work phone.

November 2014:

Apple and others encrypt phones, fueling government standoff
http://on.wsj.com/1xNYxNu via @WSJ

I remember reading that article and then wishing I'd cut it out or saved it on my mobile. Thanks for finding it! I knew eventually it would turn into a dispute with LE.

I hit a paywall.

:(

Sorry! I thought I had fixed that before I posted a link. There are many articles with the same title, but none are the editorial. I will see what, if anything, I can do. Thanks, Kimi, for letting me know!

This may have been brought up already, just jumping in here. Holly Bobo's case involved FBI trying to get an Iphone unlocked. It involved a video of the possible harm Holly was subjected to. That's a case that it would move forward in a heartbeat. jmo

There's hackers galore, at least it appears so, someone will crack it eventually.

I don't think it is ok to spy on innocent people but we sure need to be able to get information from criminals no matter what! Tired of the criminals having more rights than the victims. I don't know how this will play out or which side of the apple is right or wrong at this time, but I would do anything for justice for innocents, or to keep others from being harmed by Criminals.

Everybody's rights have to be protected, or nobody’s rights are protected, and a society without protected rights is a lot more scary then terrorism, IMHO.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Everybody's rights have to be protected, or nobody’s rights are protected, and a society without protected rights is a lot more scary then terrorism, IMHO.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

RSBM

Agree with you about our rights needing to be protected ... but wonder if some people --by their criminal behavior -- relinquish certain rights ?
As in, loss of a phone password doesn't compare to the loss of lives. The phone's owners are deceased-- so their rights aren't being trampled.
I would like to see some more possible future terrorists get caught, ( by the fbi going through their contact list) or at least id' ; before another tragedy happens.
Thinking out loud here.
MOO

RSBM

Agree with you about our rights needing to be protected ... but wonder if some people --by their criminal behavior -- relinquish certain rights ?
As in, loss of a phone password doesn't compare to the loss of lives. The phone's owners are deceased-- so their rights aren't being trampled.
I would like to see some more possible future terrorists get caught, ( by the fbi going through their contact list) or at least id' ; before another tragedy happens.
Thinking out loud here.
MOO

If Apple gave the government a back door into people’s iPhones, they could search anyones iPhone, and people would never even know it. I think Benjamin Franklin was right. Giving up liberty for temporary safety, is a really bad idea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back