CA - Anna Hernandez, 14, shot to death, San Diego, 16 Nov 2015 *Arrest*

This article states that LE is looking into whether Nelly and Janeth might be suspects in Anna's death. That would be horrible! I'm sure they hate to even think that, but they have to cover every possibility.

As part of our investigation, we will determine if there is a correlation between Nelly running away and Anna’s death,” Hastings said.
He said investigators are also looking into whether the missing girls might be suspects in Anna’s slaying.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/25/grant-hill-anna-hernandez-shooting-homicide/

On the NBC 7 Facebook page, there are some comments that there were originally three girls missing. One was found dead, one was found in Tijuana and one is still missing. If that's true, it helps explain why they are looking for Nelly in Mexico. https://www.facebook.com/NBCSanDieg...67801524608/10153747353794609/?type=3&theater

Or, Anna and Nelly were witnesses to something that happened to Janeth.

Oct 28 -- Janeth Mendoza is last seen

Nov 13 -- Ana Hernandez last seen (found deceased Nov. 18)

Nov 13 -- Nelly Espinoza last seen

ETA: Correct me if I'm wrong, but from I've read, no one has heard from Janeth.

bbm

Claire's post above mentions a facebook rumor that she was found in Mexico, which had confused me.

Local jumping in here. I am about 20 city blocks from the crime scene. Their neighborhood is one of the saddest around, imo. Grant Hill (named for Ulysses S!) is a historic area with many beautiful, although now dilapidated, Victorian homes. There are small "low rent" apartment buildings in disrepair jammed in nooks and crannies, littered ravines where transients pitch tents, significant presence of Mexican gang graffiti (ms13), and dogs run freely through the street here.

It was probably a very nice place once upon a time.

SDPD: Friend of murdered girl likely in Mexico
By: 10News Digital Team
Posted: 11:15 AM, Nov 25, 2015
Updated: One hour ago

[...]

In a Wednesday morning news conference, San Diego police Lt. Mike Hastings said that the body of Anna Hernandez was discovered in a canyon off the 2900 block of Market Street on Nov. 18 in Grant Hill, but she was not positively identified until Nov. 23.

The body was badly decomposed, and the San Diego Medical Examiner’ s autopsy determined she had sustained at least one gunshot wound to her upper body.

"Regarding Anna's homicide, the investigation continues including the processing of many items of evidence." Hastings said. "The homicide team has served search warrants and conducted many interviews in the last seven days."

(LE hasn't confirmed a link between Ana's murder and the disappearance of the other two girls.)

ETA: Here's the link to the missing girls' thread again. I've added their names to the tags in this thread. Clicking on either name will lead you to their thread.

CA - Nelly Espinoza (12), Janneth Mendoza (16), San Diego, 13 Nov/28 Oct 2015

:gthanks: bessie! :loveyou:

:gomods:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local jumping in here. I am about 20 city blocks from the crime scene. Their neighborhood is one of the saddest around, imo. Grant Hill (named for Ulysses S!) is a historic area with many beautiful, although now dilapidated, Victorian homes. There are small "low rent" apartment buildings in disrepair jammed in nooks and crannies, littered ravines where transients pitch tents, significant presence of Mexican gang graffiti (ms13), and dogs run freely through the street here.

It was probably a very nice place once upon a time.

Thank you for your input! Sounds exactly like many streets here in India. I can picture it very well.

I certainly hope this is not true, but it was one of my early working theories. Stranger things have happened.

I hate to admit that the girls as possible suspects crossed my mind too. Nothing surprises me any more, even when I don't want to be cynical.

Thanks for the local color. I've spent a lot of time in the San Diego area. I remember taking the trolley through an area quite similar to what you describe. I looked down into someone's back yard and there were roosters penned, no doubt for *advertiser censored*-fighting. Ugh. Even beautiful places like San Diego have little pockets of sad ugliness.

I hate to admit that the girls as possible suspects crossed my mind too. Nothing surprises me any more, even when I don't want to be cynical.

Thanks for the local color. I've spent a lot of time in the San Diego area. I remember taking the trolley through an area quite similar to what you describe. I looked down into someone's back yard and there were roosters penned, no doubt for *advertiser censored*-fighting. Ugh. Even beautiful places like San Diego have little pockets of sad ugliness.

Yeah, that sounds about right. These neighborhood are very small, I think Grant Hill is maybe 10 square blocks, maybe not even that. Crossing one street can make all the difference, bringing you to the adorable, very desirable (expensive! ) Craftsman neighborhood of South Park. GH is a sad pocket indeed.

I live in the heart of SD and travel through several sections on my daily routines. I am often struck by history and how it conflicts with the current culture. I consider what the original homeowners would say if they could see their houses now, freeway overpasses built overhead and the bay windows mere inches from ugly brick SRO walls. What i wouldn't give to love one of those homes as my own!

Coverage by the Daily Mail, including video. In the video, the reporter says he asked Anna's family if they want her killer caught. They replied "What's the point. It won't bring Anna back." We don't often or ever see such a feeling of resignation. It almost seems as if they know who did it and don't want to be in danger themselves...or maybe they're just numb. So sad. :(
MOO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ment-building-12-year-old-friend-missing.html

Yeah, that sounds about right. These neighborhood are very small, I think Grant Hill is maybe 10 square blocks, maybe not even that. Crossing one street can make all the difference, bringing you to the adorable, very desirable (expensive! ) Craftsman neighborhood of South Park. GH is a sad pocket indeed.

I live in the heart of SD and travel through several sections on my daily routines. I am often struck by history and how it conflicts with the current culture. I consider what the original homeowners would say if they could see their houses now, freeway overpasses built overhead and the bay windows mere inches from ugly brick SRO walls. What i wouldn't give to love one of those homes as my own!

Thank you for the local perspective, mrsobrien. This case is truly sad, and I am bracing myself for the next developments. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Keep in mind, Nelly is only 12 yrs. old. Maybe they've heard from her, but there's no telling under what circumstances. Is she being held hostage or on the run because she knows something that could get her killed too? I'm very concerned that she wouldn't or couldn't come home.

Three young girls - one found dead, one missing a month maybe still alive but maybe not, and then Nelly who seems to be unable to come home.

Wow. Keep in mind, Nelly is only 12 yrs. old. Maybe they've heard from her, but there's no telling under what circumstances. Is she being held hostage or on the run because she knows something that could get her killed too? I'm very concerned that she wouldn't or couldn't come home.

Three young girls - one found dead, one missing a month maybe still alive but maybe not, and then Nelly who seems to be unable to come home.

Please understand that I'm in no way accusing anyone of anything, especially not our victims! We have zero to go here, so our imaginations are roaming without limits.

I am extremely skeptical of the phone call, personally. Nelly could have had a gun to her head, it could have been someone impersonating her, or many other undesirable scenarios.

All I know is that I refuse to believe that these disappearances and murder are NOT related. To me, it looks like people are scared, perhaps too scared to report what they know.

Also, I am uncomfortable with the body being so close to home and not found for 5 days. This area is very densely populated, even the ravine where she was found is not obscure, many people walk there and homeless live there. I'm wondering if she was moved there after being killed.

I agree there definitely seems to be some connection to all three. It's finally all over the news which it should be until all of this is solved.

Nelly liked to go to Memorial Park which is about six rough blocks from 29th and Market Street. I don't know that particular park, and wonder if that's where all three girls hung out and what goes on around there.

bbm - Just speculating, maybe she's under the spell of the older friend.

It struck me as especially noteworthy that she reportedly used the word "flee" on the phone. Flee from what? The killers? her family? The police?

respectfully snipped for space

Also, I am uncomfortable with the body being so close to home and not found for 5 days. This area is very densely populated, even the ravine where she was found is not obscure, many people walk there and homeless live there. I'm wondering if she was moved there after being killed.

bbm - Yes that is odd. After 5 days you have a smell, likely earlier, isn't this a warm area there? Maybe she was concealed though. Putting a tarp over a body will hide the smell too for a while.

I agree there definitely seems to be some connection to all three. It's finally all over the news which it should be until all of this is solved.

Nelly liked to go to Memorial Park which is about six rough blocks from 29th and Market Street. I don't know that particular park, and wonder if that's where all three girls hung out and what goes on around there.

This is NOT a park I'd allow my kids to hang out in. That's in the Barrio Logan area. There's a Gangland episode dedicated to that area, I'll leave it at that. :-/

Yes, like many warm climate cities, San Diego has a large population of homeless living in the canyons and ravines. Anna's remains weren't found in what one would think is a secluded area.

Really, how do they figure 12 yr. old Nelly just decided to run away on her own without being abducted or having some threat terrifying her?

Nelly is definitely considered a victim here on WS. You're right that we have no
idea about the phone call. But LE has to consider the possibility that she and Janeth are suspects, and they put that out in MSM. The code of silence is strong in gang-infested areas for understandable reasons. Maybe LE made that public statement hoping to shake information loose from someone defending the girls and pointing them in the correct direction. Because Anna was found so close to where Nelly lives, it seems very likely to me that someone in Nelly's circle knows what happened and why Nelly is in Mexico.

Sadly, it won't surprise me at all if gang-related sex trafficking is involved. A quick google search shows that this is a huge problem in San Diego. Young girls are not immune. :(

JMO

From your link (and thanks for it!):

(10:34 a.m. Nov. 25, 2015 | Updated, 12:18 p.m.)

>>>snip

...Nelly ran away from home on Nov. 13 and later contacted a family member in San Diego, saying she was in northern Mexico and staying with another family member, homicide unit Lt. Mike Hastings said. She said she was fine, but if anyone tried to reach her, she’d go further into Mexico.

She may be with Janeth, who ran away from her Logan Heights home on Oct. 28, Hastings said.

“As part of our investigation, we will determine if there is a correlation between Nelly running away and Anna’s death,” Hastings said.

He said investigators are also looking into whether the missing girls might be suspects in Anna’s slaying.

Missing persons fliers for the girls, handed out at the news conference, referred to them as “at risk.”

Janeth was described as 5 feet 5 inches tall, 160 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. She has three tattoos: a Chargers bolt on her neck, the word “Bella” on her right forearm and “Perla” on her left forearm. She was llast seen on Webster Avenue near 30th Street in Logan Heights.

Nelly was described as 5 feet 5 inches tall, 140 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. She was last seen near her home on Market Street near 29th Street, just yards from the ravine where Anna’s body was found...

...(Homicide Unit detective Lt. Mike) Hastings said investigators have obtained search warrants, collected a lot of evidence and conducted many interviews...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Lots of new information in this article, and good on SDPD for the pc! Thanks. We are listening.

FYI, here's a Google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/300...081158acf99eb!2m2!1d-117.1320311!2d32.7116547

Only seven-tenths of a mile between Janeth's last seen location (10/28/2015) and the place where Anna's body was found, which is near Nelly's house. Nelly ran away 11/13/2015.

Anna's remains were found 11/18/2015. Anna last seen 11/13/1015.

Praying for all three of these children.

http://www.10news.com/news/sdpd-friend-of-murdered-girl-likely-in-mexico

So Nelly's not considered a missing person, just a juvenile runaway. What a load of $#!& Dang it she's 12 why don't they drop the crap and look for her.

That's such horse crap, imo. They need to work HARD to find these girls. In cases in SD, I am sometimes reminded of Atticus VanArsedale (?) who was 18 and a voluntary walk away... SDPD pulled out all the stops to find him, even though he did not want to be. SDPD needs to put that much energy, and more, into finding Nelly and Janeth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blackburne
Back