CA - Bonnie Lee Bakley, 44, wife of Robert Blake, shot to death, Studio City, 4 May 2001 *not guilty

Lawyer: Christian Brando involved in murder of Robert Blake's wife

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robert Blake's lawyer claims newly discovered evidence points to a conspiracy among friends of Christian Brando to murder Blake's wife, who taunted Brando with a picture of the baby he thought was his but turned out to be Blake's.

Attorney M. Gerald Schwartzbach filed a voluminous motion Wednesday seeking to present evidence at Blake's upcoming murder trial showing that other people, including one of the prosecution's star witnesses, conspired to kill Bonny Lee Bakley.

"The ... evidence suggests that Ronald 'Duffy' Hambleton, one of the prosecution's two central witnesses, was in fact at the heart of the plot against Bonny Lee Bakley -- a plot in which defendant Robert Blake did not participate," Schwartzbach said in the motion.

The motion outlines a complex series of relationships among Brando, the son of the late actor Marlon Brando, two former stuntmen and two transients. One of the stuntmen, Jerry Lee Petty, and one of the homeless men later committed suicide, the motion said.

At a preliminary hearing, Hambleton testified that he had been solicited by Blake to kill Bakley. He and a second former stuntman, Gary McLarty, testified that Blake was trying to hire a hit man to kill his wife.

Schwartzbach said newly interviewed witnesses have described a gun owned by Hambleton that fits the description of the weapon used to kill Bakley, and that Hambleton's son drew a picture of the gun.

No one has linked Blake to the gun and the motion said that gunshot residue tests showed the actor did not have residue on his hands consistent with someone who had fired a gun.

The motion referred to three newly discovered witnesses, including one who would testify that Hambleton offered him $10,000 for an unspecified "job," later telling him it was for Bakley's murder.

The issue of Brando's possible link to the killing was first raised in court last February when Blake's former attorney, Thomas Mesereau Jr., tried to present testimony from an acquaintance of Brando, Dianne Mattson, who said she overheard a phone conversation between Brando and someone named "Duffy" in which there was discussion of putting a bullet through Bakley's head.

Superior Court Judge Darlene Schempp refused to allow the testimony, saying that Mattson had "credibility issues."

In the interim, the defense has re-interviewed Mattson and found a number of other witnesses who corroborate her and add information, the motion said.

"The ... evidence permits the inference that Ms. Bakley's murder was orchestrated by Mr. Hambleton," either at Brando's urging or in an effort to curry favor with him, the motion said.

Mattson said that Brando received an express delivery package from Bakley in mid-April of 2001, a few weeks before she was killed. The package contained a photograph of Blake with the baby Brando had thought was his. The motion said Brando has acknowledged he considered it "a slap in the face" and "insulting."

Prosecutors interviewed Brando soon after the killing and cleared him of any involvement.

Blake, 70, is charged with killing 44-year-old Bakley on May, 4, 2001. The couple married just months before Bakley was killed. He has pleaded not guilty.

Bakley was found shot to death in their car outside an Italian restaurant where they had dined. Blake told police he found his wife mortally wounded after he went back to the restaurant to retrieve a handgun he carried for protection.

Schwartzbach asked for a hearing so the judge can consider whether to admit the new evidence at the murder trial scheduled for Nov. 1.

www.courttv.com

Posted on Wed, Dec. 01, 2004
Click here to find out more!

Jury selected for Robert Blake murder case

LINDA DEUTSCH

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A jury of seven men and five women was sworn in Wednesday to decide whether actor Robert Blake murdered wife Bonny Lee Bakley.

The panel was seated after a prosecutor and defense attorney used numerous challenges to remove panelists from the jury box. They did not have to state a reason for the peremptory challenges, but normally lawyers remove those they believe are adverse to their position.

Six alternate jurors, three women and three men, also were chosen.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...10313550.htm?1c

I heard a sound bite on the news that opening statements will be televised. IF that's the case, then I will probably skip trying to get in for the opening statements.

Sprocket said:
Posted on Wed, Dec. 01, 2004
Click here to find out more!

Jury selected for Robert Blake murder case

LINDA DEUTSCH

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A jury of seven men and five women was sworn in Wednesday to decide whether actor Robert Blake murdered wife Bonny Lee Bakley.

The panel was seated after a prosecutor and defense attorney used numerous challenges to remove panelists from the jury box. They did not have to state a reason for the peremptory challenges, but normally lawyers remove those they believe are adverse to their position.

Six alternate jurors, three women and three men, also were chosen.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...10313550.htm?1c

I heard a sound bite on the news that opening statements will be televised. IF that's the case, then I will probably skip trying to get in for the opening statements.

Darn! I wish I didn't have to work. Interferes with my court watching. Yesterday I told my BF that when I retire I'm gonna go watch trials. LOL That'll probably be another 30 yrs.

kato said:
Darn! I wish I didn't have to work. Interferes with my court watching. Yesterday I told my BF that when I retire I'm gonna go watch trials. LOL That'll probably be another 30 yrs.
LOL! Then you must be pretty young kato! :D (All those years of work ahead!) If Opening statements ARE televised, then we can tape them. I know. Won't be the same as "being there" in person!

Sprocket said:
LOL! Then you must be pretty young kato! :D (All those years of work ahead!) If Opening statements ARE televised, then we can tape them. I know. Won't be the same as "being there" in person!

Not too young. I'm 39. Which to me seems old. I'm glad I like my job since I have to work so long. LOL

I believe there are other people involved in this crime. It is perfect to have Blake be the fall guy, he seems so out of control and so guilty. It is true Blake is his own worst enemy. He seems capable of the act because he is antisocial and exudes hostility...but then, he always did. He makes weird facial expressions and says off the wall things... none of those things prove he killed his wife. The people who are testifying against him are just as odd. Are they believable? No. So far they're all messed up drug users with mental histories. They are all has been, failed actors who desperately want the spotlight.

Bonnie Blakely led a unscrupulous life, did a lot of unsavory things and screwed over a lot of men. There were those who would have loved to do something to get back at her. I want to hear iron clad proof that Robert Blake killed Bonnie before I'll believe he's guilty.

I dont think that Blake was the trigger man, but I do think he may have had a hand in setting up the murder. Its a little too convienient that the killer knew where they would be dining that evening, that the car was parked far enough away that there were no witnesses to the shooting, and that Blake just happened to forget something and go back to the restaurant.

But, I guess we will all have to see how this plays out. From everything I have read, Bonnie screwed alot of people over and had plenty of other enemies.

No doubt in my mind Bonnie had scads of enemies, but how could any of them know exactly where she was in Blake's car alone? That seems too far out to me. I think Blake either did it or certainly paid someone to help do it and just thought the fact she was a grifter with lots of enemies would keep him away from prosecution.

Thing is, those old stunt guys seem credible to me talking about Blake trying to get them to kill her. Now, I know they're going to be discredited on the stand by the defense counsel because they're dubious characters with shady pasts, but those are the very people Blake would seek out to do the crime.

This could be a fun trial to watch, but the real star will be Blake - so the media just has to get the judge to allow Blake's testimony to be televised!!

Unless derailed by unforseen events, I plan on trying to get into the first day of trial, and other days periodically. I'll be writing about my observations.

Understand though, I'm not a part time journalist; pleases don't expect my writing to be up to the quality of some other sleuthers here who have excellent Blogs. I will be flying by the seat of my pie, I mean pants, :D so you will have to "bare" with me.

Did any psychic's get involved in this case?
Would love to hear what they have to say....

:)

Sprocket said:
Unless derailed by unforseen events, I plan on trying to get into the first day of trial, and other days periodically. I'll be writing about my observations.

Understand though, I'm not a part time journalist; pleases don't expect my writing to be up to the quality of some other sleuthers here who have excellent Blogs. I will be flying by the seat of my pie, I mean pants, :D so you will have to "bare" with me.

Sprocky:

We will be grateful for any reporting you give us. No matter what form. TIA

dolly1 said:
I believe there are other people involved in this crime. It is perfect to have Blake be the fall guy, he seems so out of control and so guilty. It is true Blake is his own worst enemy. He seems capable of the act because he is antisocial and exudes hostility...but then, he always did. He makes weird facial expressions and says off the wall things... none of those things prove he killed his wife. The people who are testifying against him are just as odd. Are they believable? No. So far they're all messed up drug users with mental histories. They are all has been, failed actors who desperately want the spotlight.

Bonnie Blakely led a unscrupulous life, did a lot of unsavory things and screwed over a lot of men. There were those who would have loved to do something to get back at her. I want to hear iron clad proof that Robert Blake killed Bonnie before I'll believe he's guilty.

I agree with all that you said, If Bonnie didn't have such a background I would be more inclined to believe he had something to do with it.
Does anyone remember him in Red Ryder? He played the little indian I believe..I know that goes way back, so I have a soft spot in my heart for this man..O.K. shoot me.. :banghead:

dolly1 said:
I believe there are other people involved in this crime. It is perfect to have Blake be the fall guy, he seems so out of control and so guilty.

It is true Blake is his own worst enemy. He seems capable of the act because he is antisocial and exudes hostility...but then, he always did. He makes weird facial expressions and says off the wall things... none of those things prove he killed his wife.

The people who are testifying against him are just as odd. Are they believable? No. So far they're all messed up drug users with mental histories. They are all has been, failed actors who desperately want the spotlight.

Hi Dolly and all .. :)

My views on this case tend to coincide with the ones you've posted, Dolly .. more or less and probably, with some exceptions.

Normally, I am a straight up, law & order - "let justice be served" kind of person. However, I have such deep-seeded feelings of animosity and distain for the sleazy characters involved in this Blake-Bakley melodrama that my thinking about this whole case is probably skewed.

I have zero tolerance or empathy for pond scum parasitic grifters like Bonnie Lee Bakley. I agree .. "Unscrupulous" is an excellent choice of words for how this con artist conducted her life.

I'm not sorry she is no longer on the planet conniving & manipulating vulnerable people with her sleazy scams. Frankly, I'm surprised one of her victims didn't accomplish her demise long before it actually happened. There were certainly enough of her victims. Yes, including Blake.

We all have the right to reserve our respect & care for decent honorable people ~ not the Bonnie Bakleys of this world or the drug addicted has-been dregs of society looking for their 15 minutes of fame - as some of these pathetic witnesses against Blake appear to be.

I don't know if Robert Blake pulled the trigger or was in any way involved in Bakely's death. At this point in the legal proceedings .. none of us really know what happened in that alley outside Vitellos restaurant. We can only guess, surmise and have our opinions from information provided in the pre-trial hearing & of course, media reports.

Seems to me .. wanting Bakley *out-of-the-way* or even plotting her demise doesn't mean Blake actually did it. I want to see or hear incontrovertible proof on this one.

I am aware that my opinion will not be a popular one. It's a complete dicotomy of everything I hold sacred .. but even if there is an abundance of circumstantial evidence, as there was in the Peterson case .. I can't honestly say I would wish Blake to be found guilty & incarcerated for the remainder of his life. I was 100% in favor of Scott's guilty verdict and jury's recommended sentence.

JMHO .. and always subject to change in the future.

Rum Tum

Jeana (DP) said:
Lawyer: Christian Brando involved in murder of Robert Blake's wife

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robert Blake's lawyer claims newly discovered evidence points to a conspiracy among friends of Christian Brando to murder Blake's wife, who taunted Brando with a picture of the baby he thought was his but turned out to be Blake's.

Wasn't Christian Brando involved in another murder years ago (or did I dream this)? I thought it had something to do with his sister.

NewMom2003 said:
Wasn't Christian Brando involved in another murder years ago (or did I dream this)? I thought it had something to do with his sister.

He killed Dag Drollet, his sister Cheyenne's, boyfriend. Cheyenne later committed suicide.

http://clickit.go2net.com/search?=2...=http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/elliott4.htm

Here is article about Blake playing Little Beaver on Red Ryder. How many remember that?

kato said:
He killed Dag Drollet, his sister Cheyenne's, boyfriend. Cheyenne later committed suicide.

Yes, she suffered from schitzophrenia. It was almost 5 years after Dag was killed that she hung herself (she had tried to comitt suicide several times before).

I don't believe the judge is going to allow heresay (what CB's girlfriend says she overheard) into the trial like we had with a more recent case.

I think one of the reasons Marlon Brando died recently is because he had stress thinking his son was getting involved in another murder. Christian is a convicted murderer. Just recently he married a girl who claims Elvis Presley was her father. She looks remarkably like Lisa Marie! But she hasn't been able to get any money from the estate. Christian has put on some weight. He looks like he doesn't have a care in the world.

I just hope Robert Blake gets off.

Kathy C

A small point, but I did not understand this murder to have taken place "in an alley behind the restaurant". Blake's car was parked along the street, in a residential neighborhood, about a block or a block and a half away from the restaurant.

Apparently there was some type of construction taking place nearby since there was a dumpster located near the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back