CA - Conrad, 13, & Ricky Morales, 11, beaten to death, Sacramento, Aug & Dec 2005

Police today identified a body encased in concrete in a Corona carport as 13-year-old Conrad Morales, whose younger brother was allegedly murdered at the same location by his aunt and uncle.

Police said Conrad's death is being treated as a homicide. Sgt. Jerry Rodriguez said police believe Conrad was killed in Washington, and his concrete-covered body was transported to Corona, where it was found stuffed inside a small trash can.

Law enforcement authorities say it's uncertain whether Conrad's slaying will be prosecuted in Riverside County or in Washington, where the boy was reported missing by Cathy Sarinana on Oct. 8 while she and her husband lived in a Winlock, Wash. trailer park.

"I would hope they'll keep the case together [in Riverside]. I'll be there every day," said the boys' mother, Rosa Morales. "I wish they'd just let me in a room with both of [the Sarinanas]. I don't need the death penalty. I'll handle it myself. They promised my boys security, and they caused their deaths."
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...636.story?coll=la-story-footer&track=morenews

His name is Conrad Morales I got it from the trust fund for their funeral expense being set up

Sorry I posted way back about the name seems it's a;ready known I found it in one of the first links about a funeral fund it was title Ricky and Conrad Morales so I figure that were their names. They had not even said Ricky at that point.
I won't post until I am all the way caught up lol

bakerprune64 said:
Just breaks my heart to hear $hit like this when there are so many loving people just dying to adopt or foster parent these lost children! And did you see the mug shot of the Aunt! Omg, she was really scarey looking.
You're wrong, most people want to adopt babies, not 11 year olds....and there is a shortage of foster parents. Rules are often bent for existing foster parent allowing them to take in more than legally allowed.

Just look on your states website at all the children waiting for a forever home.

Linda7NJ said:
You're wrong, most people want to adopt babies, not 11 year olds....and there is a shortage of foster parents. Rules are often bent for existing foster parent allowing them to take in more than legally allowed.

Just look on your states website at all the children waiting for a forever home.
You are so right and we also see an alarming rate of foster children's abuse and murder stories posted in the news as well without a prior record of sexual or violent offenses there's no way to foretell what's gonna happen to these children. Adoption cases involving abuse's seem more common as well there's a very sad one at the crime library of a little girl badly abused and murdered by her adoptive father.

strach304 said:
You are so right and we also see an alarming rate of foster children's abuse and murder stories posted in the news as well without a prior record of sexual or violent offenses there's no way to foretell what's gonna happen to these children. Adoption cases involving abuse's seem more common as well there's a very sad one at the crime library of a little girl badly abused and murdered by her adoptive father.

Maybe we should be spending our money making orphanages a better place. At least that would provide stability and hopefully, no abuse. Really train people and do background checks. Make them more like a good boarding school vs. a holding area while waiting to see if you are wanted by anyone.

Spend the time and money making these kids feel love and a safe place and maybe we wouldn't see the continued abuse because that is all they have ever known. Get the workers involved in the kids school and social activities just like a parent would do. Make the place where the kids live as welcoming as any other home. Change the perspective.....change the method!

Has anyone heard any mention of meth being a factor in this case? It doesn't say what substance his previous narcotic charge was for, but from the looks of them, they could be meth addicts.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stories/PE_News_Local_S_sarinana06.45c3c76.html
Photos of dead boy set off emotions in Riverside courtroom

The Press-Enterprise

Some grim-faced jurors in a Riverside courtroom Thursday wiped tears from their eyes after seeing photos of the bruises, scabs and marks the size and shape of cigarette burns that covered the body of 11-year-old Ricky Morales.

The boy was found dead on Christmas Day 2005 in the Corona home of Raul and Cathy Sarinana, who are his uncle and aunt.

The Sarinanas are charged with murder in connection with Ricky's death and could face the death penalty if convicted.

Story continues below

On Thursday, the 17th day of the trial, the two juries -- one for each defendant -- were shown photos of the interior of the Sarinanas' Corona home, including a closet where Ricky's body was found and what police said were blood stains on walls and doors.

Corona police Detective Dan Bloomfield explained that dozens of small round stickers shown in the walls of the bathroom were marking what investigators believed were blood spatters.

Police and neighbors have said they believe Ricky was abused, and at a 2006 pretrial hearing an attorney for Raul Sarinana said he accidentally killed Ricky and his 13-year-old brother Conrad while trying to discipline them.

The photos of Ricky's scarred body caused gasps in the courtroom.

As Bloomfield described areas that appeared to be infected and missing skin, Cathy Sarinana, in a black flowered blouse and with her waist-length brown hair fanned out across her shoulders, avoided the sight and looked down.

Prosecutors say they believe the couple had killed Conrad several months earlier in Washington state and brought his body when they moved to Corona.

The older boy's body was found encased in concrete in a trash can in the carport at the Sarinanas' Belle Avenue duplex.

The couple took the boys in after their mother could not care for them.

Defense attorneys for Raul contend that he had anger issues but did not intend to kill Ricky, and Cathy's attorney argues his client was also a victim of Raul's abuse.

Earlier Thursday, defense attorneys Richard Swanson, representing Raul Sarinana, and Patrick A. Rossetti, representing Cathy Sarinana, closely questioned forensic expert Beverly Ann Himick about her conclusion that samples of Ricky's and Conrad's DNA matched samples taken from the Washington home.

They asked whether the equipment Himick used in the DNA analysis was working correctly, whether the samples could have been degraded, and whether that would affect the test results.

Deputy District Attorney John Aki said he expects to wrap up his case by Wednesday.

Swanson said the defense may conclude and give the case to the jury sometime the week of March 15.

Didn't mean to kill, suspect says on tape

11:54 PM PDT on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Press-Enterprise

The day after finding his nephew Ricky dead in a closet, Raul Sarinana told a Corona police detective he killed the boy, but he hadn't meant to.

Sarinana and his wife, Cathy, are charged with murder in the death of 11-year-old Ricky Morales. If convicted, they could face the death penalty.

Police also believe the couple killed Ricky's brother Conrad Morales, 13, in Washington state several months before they moved to Corona in late 2005. The Sarinanas, who have two young children of their own, took Conrad and Ricky in after other relatives couldn't care for the boys.

Story continues below

William Wilson Lewis III / The Press-Enterprise
Raul Sarinana, left, and Cathy Sarinana are accused of killing their 11-year-old nephew Ricky Morales in Corona.
Attorneys for Raul Sarinana maintain that he has anger problems and was under extreme stress. Cathy Sarinana's attorney contends his client also suffered abuse by Raul.

The Sarinanas' trial is in its third week. Jurors on Tuesday saw a recording of Raul Sarinana's first interview with Corona police after they began investigating Ricky's death.

Early in an interview that lasted almost four hours, Raul Sarinana told Detective Jeff Edwards that Ricky had started out as a good kid. But the boy became disrespectful, Raul said -- he wouldn't obey Cathy, he lied, he wet his bed, he would refuse to eat or would throw up afterward, and he'd cut himself with kitchen knives.

When taking away TV privileges and toys didn't get Ricky to shape up, Raul explained to Edwards, he and Cathy began beating the boy. First they used a belt, and after that wasn't enough, Raul would kick him.

That's what happened on Christmas Day 2005. Ricky had been told to clean the bathroom in the family's one-bedroom apartment, but he wasn't working fast enough for Raul.

In the interview, several times Raul appeared distraught, sobbing and sometimes wiping his eyes as he described realizing Ricky was dead.

Responding to a question from Deputy District Attorney John Aki, Edwards testified that Raul's eyes became moist at one point as he talked about his wife.

But whenever Raul described disciplining Ricky, Edwards said, "I didn't actually see tears."

In the interview, Raul described kicking Ricky in the chest each time he came to check how the cleaning was going, and finally grabbing the boy and putting him in the closet where the family made him sleep.

Raul said he checked on the boy periodically, but he told the holiday guests who came over that day that Ricky had gone to his grandmother's house. Finally he realized Ricky was nearly dead, but rather than call for help, he said he covered the boy with a blanket and pulled a hat down over his face.

Raul said several times that he didn't call police until the next day because he didn't want Cathy to know Ricky was dead. She had cancer and he was afraid of what the stress would do to her, he said.

"I did kill him but I didn't mean to," Raul told Edwards. "There's no reason to kill a kid like that."

During the first portion of the interview, Raul never mentioned Conrad, whose body police found encased in concrete in a trash can at the Sirinana's Corona home.

Maybe we should be spending our money making orphanages a better place. At least that would provide stability and hopefully, no abuse. Really train people and do background checks. Make them more like a good boarding school vs. a holding area while waiting to see if you are wanted by anyone.

Spend the time and money making these kids feel love and a safe place and maybe we wouldn't see the continued abuse because that is all they have ever known. Get the workers involved in the kids school and social activities just like a parent would do. Make the place where the kids live as welcoming as any other home. Change the perspective.....change the method!

I think that is a great idea. They would have to pay a decent wage so that they could be picky about who is hired. And they would have to hire plenty of staff so that there would be enough people to work with the kids and do things with them. I know there is a real lack of foster parents and probably a real lack in getting good foster parents and not people who are just looking for help with the chores and an extra paycheck each month.

If they took the money they pay foster parents in each state I think they could have some really nice places to raise the kids. Look what they pay foster parents to take in hard to handle kids...big bucks. I think that would work so much better then foster care.

This story is such a horror story. Why did that uncle want to kill Ricky? He must have murdered him inch by inch day by day. Why murder Conrad? And to think that this man is the brother to these boys mother. Maybe they should let the boys mother into her brother's cell. I bet she would tear him from limb to limb. She trusted this monster.

I don't understand people not getting involved when they think there is abuse going on. One quick phone call and that is it. It probably would have saved this boys life if it could be proven and if CPS did their job. This boy wasn't in school? Didn't any of the neighbors notice that? The kids in the neighborhood were aware of this boy...you would think they would have said something. I guess people just don't want to get involved.

The mother of these boys was out of prison. I wonder why she didn't come get her boys as soon as she got out? I guess she could have been in a half way house but if she wasn't then she should have come for them. She would have found out the older boy wasn't there and she could have taken little Ricky.

I'm not sure why it took so long to get this trial going, but I hope they fry these two. This story just makes me sick.

http://www.jurorthirteen.com/Genera.../RaulandCathySarinana/tabid/1088/Default.aspx

At a pretrial hearing in 2006, Corona police testified that Raul Sarinana admitted to kicking Ricky repeatedly and locking him in a closet on Christmas Day because he was angry over how slowly Ricky was cleaning a bathroom.

When Raul Sarinana checked on the boy later, he was dead, police said.

Raul Sarinana is charged with murder and a torture enhancement in the death of Ricky Morales, who investigators say died in a closet while others in the house had a holiday dinner

WTF! Those two are stuffing their faces, while he is locked in a closet, dying, on Christmas Day! Un-effin-believable!

And what about the other people in the house celebrating Christmas? Did none of them know the child lived with the family or no cared to try and help him?

Finally and update.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_websarinana17.2eeb656.html
Pathologist testifies boy suffered repeated injuries

04:32 PM PDT on Monday, March 16, 2009

By ALICIA ROBINSON
The Press-Enterprise

A forensic pathologist testified Monday that bruises, lacerations and scars on the body of 11-year-old Ricky Morales showed he suffered repeated injuries, some at least a month before his death on Christmas Day 2005.

Ricky was found dead in a closet at the Corona home of Raul and Cathy Sarinana, his aunt and uncle. The Sarinanas are charged with murder and could face the death penalty if convicted.

Dr. Mark Fajardo, a pathologist for the Riverside County sheriff-coroner's office, testified that some of the hook-shaped scars that jurors saw in photos of Ricky's body were consistent with marks made by a cord, such as an electrical cord.

When he died, the boy had a split upper lip, abrasions on his face and marks under his chin, Fajardo said. There were bruises and scabs on Ricky's torso and lower body, and Fajardo said Ricky had a severe infection on the back of his upper thighs.

"These injuries are of various ages and are in various states of healing," he said. "Some of them are days old, some of them are weeks (old), some of them are well-healed and scarred over."

Deputy District Attorney John Aki has pointed to Ricky's injuries as proof that both Raul and Cathy Sarinana abused their nephew during the months he lived with them.

In recorded interviews with police, Raul admitted he killed Ricky, but said it wasn't intentional. He told police he had tried to discipline the boy, first hitting him with a belt and later kicking him.

Raul also said in the interviews that he killed Ricky's brother, Conrad Morales, 13, shortly before the family moved to Corona from rural Washington. Conrad's body was found encased in concrete in the Sarinanas' carport in Corona.

Aki will likely wrap up his case by midweek. Though the defendants are charged separately and have separate juries sitting in the same courtroom, much of the trial so far has included both Cathy and Raul Sarinana.

Cathy's jury has already gotten a preview of her defense because of some witnesses' time constraints. Jurors on Thursday and Monday heard from Donna Chisam, Cathy's aunt, who testified that Cathy said Raul abused her and she was frightened of him.

Chisam insisted her niece loved children and would not have hit Ricky or Conrad.

Raul's attorneys have said he was under extreme pressure and had anger issues.

Raul Sarinana's attorney rests.

http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/2009/03/corona-uncles-attorney-wraps-u-1.html
Corona uncle's attorney wraps up in slaying of nephew
1:00 AM Wed, Mar 18, 2009 | Permalink | Comments (0)
Posted by: PE News
Defense attorneys for Raul Sarinana, who is charged with murdering his 11-year-old nephew in 2005, rested their case Tuesday after calling three witnesses in a trial that has lasted 22 days. Closing arguments in the case are scheduled Thursday.

Prosecutors say Raul and his wife, Cathy Sarinana, were responsible for the death of
Ricky Morales, who died in the couple's Corona home, and for that of his brother Conrad, 13, who died several months earlier in Washington. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

An attorney for Cathy Sarinana, who is also on trial but has a separate jury, may call additional witnesses next week. The juries will deliberate separately.

Raul told police in a recorded interview that he killed Ricky unintentionally while trying to discipline him. His attorneys have said their client has anger issues, was out of work and struggled to raise his own two young children as well as his nephews.

--Alicia Robinson
arobinson@PE.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500