CA CA - Dena McHan, 18, Stockton, 6 December 1981

Dena's sister in-law and brother in-law worked for the Sheriff's Department at the time she went missing. The department "drug" all of the nearby waterways and never found her car. The drive from Sac State to her house was a straight shot down Hwy 99 or I-5 and there was no need to drive near the Sacramento River on the way home.

what was the name of the gas station ??? what was the name of the attendant on duty that night????? whats the destription of these two men ??? did police follow up on this.... lets not assume they did !!!! This gas station and these two "men" are important >>> i want to know more if anyone knows where to find police reports please let me know.........ZAG aka david greg

hi my name is david "greg" evans , me and my sister grew up with dena and her sister alison we live up the street on churchill i would like to talk with you about dena...i would like to help but i dont know where to start plz reply

hi my name is david "greg" evans , me and my sister grew up with dena and her sister alison we live up the street on churchill i would like to talk with you about dena...i would like to help but i dont know where to start plz reply

Welcome zag! Can you tell us what you think happened?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Dena Viola McHan
  • dena_viola_mchan_1.jpg
  • dena_viola_mchan_2.jpg
  • dena_viola_mchan_3.jpg
McHan, circa 1981

• Missing Since06/07/1981
  • Missing FromStockton, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth10/23/1962 (56)
  • Age18 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA thick white sweater, Jordache jeans three sizes too large for her, nylon stockings, and open-toed heeled shoes.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
McHan was last seen in Stockton, California on June 7, 1981. She was on her way home from visiting friends in Sacramento, California when she stopped at a gas station to get fuel for her car, a canary-yellow 1974 Toyota with a black vinyl top.

The attendant at the gas station noticed two men harassing McHan, and asked if she needed help. She told the attendant she would be fine. She has never been heard from again and her car has never been located.

McHan was a student at San Joaquin Delta College at the time of her disappearance. She is missing under suspicious circumstances and foul play is suspected.

To me, Dena resembles Gayle Marks who, at tbe age of eighteen, disappeared from Stockton in 1988.
I think it's possible that Herzog and Shermantine are responsible for the disappearance of both women. MOO

This is Cathleen Galgiani and Dena is my Cousin. She disappeared Dec 6, 1981, not in June. We miss her very much and I’m grateful that you think about her and try to follow leads that might be connected to her. Thank you so much.

She was wearing a thick white sweater, Jordache jeans that were three sizes too big for her, brown wool pants, nylons and open-toed heels

What a strange outfit for her to be wearing? Why would she have on jeans that were 3 sizes too big as well as brown wool pants? It looks like the Charley Project updated the clothing description in June of 2012 to say the wool pants were soiled. That is very odd to me.

Last edited:
There were a number of women who were murdered or went missing in that general area in the late 1970’s-early 80’s but none bare any obvious similarities to this case. It is extremely unusual for a stranger abduction to result in a vehicle disappearance.

The report that she was “being bothered” by two men at the Lodi gas station is certainly worth noting. Still, she was almost home at the time and there was no stretch of road between Lodi and her home in the Stonewood area of Stockton that wouldn’t have had some traffic at that time of night.

According to Google Earth, there are no obvious bodies of water along her route today that she could have driven into ( were there in 1981?)

Anyone who follows True Crime understands the significance of a vehicle in a sexually motivated abduction case. If the victim is abducted from her vehicle, it is generally left at the crime scene. If the victim’s own vehicle is used in the abduction, it presents a problem for the abductor. If the vehicle is left at at the site of subsequent crime ( rape/murder/dump site), it would be very incriminating. Even if it is driven well away from any crime site it still might contain forensic evidence and the perpetrator must have transportation back. Torching the vehicle is the usual answer but dumping the vehicle where it won’t be found, such as a body of water, also works. Abandoned vehicles, when they are found, will generally have their VIN run by Law Enforcement but that might not be done if the vehicle has been there for years.

It is possible that two men staged a fender bender and then one forced her to follow the other to some site. Later the car was dumped where it wasn’t found. I am not aware of any other crime in the region, at the time that fit the pattern.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back