Found Deceased CA - Gail Saari, 62, Oakland, 22 January 2016

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Missing-Berkeley-woman-last-seen-swimming-in-bay-6786522.php

"A Berkeley woman missing since Friday was last seen swimming in an Oakland bay, according to her brother, who said the family is hoping to find her body."

It may strike some as strange, but people really do swim in different parts of the SF Bay, year round. I am desperately trying to tell myself (or should I say my HinkyMeter) that this could have been what Ms. Saari may have been doing when she disappeared.

From your link, Treelights (also note the spelling of her name differs here) :

[...]
Diana Hajisaari, 62, of Berkeley, was last seen in Oakland Friday. She may have gone swimming in San Leandro Bay.
A Berkeley woman missing since Friday was last seen swimming in an Oakland bay, according to her brother, who said the family is hoping to find her body.

[...]
This latest turn of events is saddening IMO. The wording of her brother's statements is beyond troubling. :notgood: :cow:

The snipped quote seems to contain conflicting statements. So, who saw her? Does LE have anyone (or any other way) to corroborate the sighting? Also, what's with the differing surname?

:confused: :scared:

My prayers continue....

:praying:

:candle:

#FindGail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very sad turn of events. It wasn't the first thing I would have expected. If she indeed committed suicide, as the quote above seems to indicate, it must have been a very sudden decision. imo Something triggered it that day?

@kimi, the surname was discussed on page 1 or 2. 'Haji' is a prefix sometimes added to names of Muslims. Apparently she chose to go without it in recent years.

Thank you @Elainera. I must have missed that.
:blushing:

There, though? It was cold! For us anyways. I don't think that's a good swimming area anyways.

It may strike some as strange, but people really do swim in different parts of the SF Bay, year round. I am desperately trying to tell myself (or should I say my HinkyMeter) that this could have been what Ms. Saari may have been doing when she disappeared.

From your link, Treelights (also note the spelling of her name differs here) :

[...]
Diana Hajisaari, 62, of Berkeley, was last seen in Oakland Friday. She may have gone swimming in San Leandro Bay.
A Berkeley woman missing since Friday was last seen swimming in an Oakland bay, according to her brother, who said the family is hoping to find her body.

[...]
This latest turn of events is saddening IMO. The wording of her brother's statements is beyond troubling. :notgood: :cow:

The snipped quote seems to contain conflicting statements. So, who saw her? Does LE have anyone (or any other way) to corroborate the sighting? Also, what's with the differing surname?

:confused: :scared:

My prayers continue....

:praying:

:candle:

#FindGail

Police seek Berkeley woman missing since Friday
gail.jpg

Update, Jan. 29:
A body found in a tidal canal behind some Alameda homes Thursday has been identified by the Alameda County Coroner’s Office as Diana Gail Hajisaari of Berkeley, according to Inside Bay Area. The 62-year-old, who was widely known as Gail Saari, was reported missing on Jan. 22 and seen entering the bay. An autopsy was scheduled Friday to determine the cause of death.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/01/25/police-seek-berkeley-woman-missing-since-friday/

That's sad!!
Not unexpected to find her body, but never-the-less very sad!
Prayers to her family and friends!
RIP Gail!

:rose: RIP Gail :rose:

She was the wife of a highly acclaimed film director in Malaysia. Google his name U-Wei. Haji Saari was the married family name. Not sure if she was still married to him when she passed on.

It seems like a suicide to me. People do not swim in the Oakland Bay for fun. It is freezing, turbulent and full of bad things like stinging jelly fish and sharks.

And who walks away from their work desk, wearing a tweed suit, leaves their purse and phone behind, and goes for a swim in the cold ocean?

Wait a second, do people really commit suicide by swimming into a potentially dangeous situation?
This seems very odd to me.

Wait a second, do people really commit suicide by swimming into a potentially dangeous situation?
This seems very odd to me.

It's rare, but yes people do it. It doesn't have to be a dangerous situation - you could just swim to exhaustion or take something first.

It's rare, but yes people do it. It doesn't have to be a dangerous situation - you could just swim to exhaustion or take something first.

And hypothermia will also make you weak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back