long_geneva2.jpg

Long, circa 1950
  • Missing Since: 07/29/1950
  • Missing From: Bakersfield, California
  • Classification: Missing
  • Sex: Female
  • Race: White
  • Height and Weight: 5'11 - 6'2, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair.
Details of Disappearance
Long was last seen in Bakersfield, California on July 29, 1950. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency
  • Kern County Sheriff's Office 661-861-3110
Source Information

In some of these cases from the 1960’s and before people would disappear and be reported to the police. Without the Internet and a good teletype system they’d simply move to a new town and start a new life and no one would really care.

In other cases, even today, missing people come home and no one would report the return to the police so years later they’d still be listed as “ missing”.

In some of these cases from the 1960’s and before people would disappear and be reported to the police. Without the Internet and a good teletype system they’d simply move to a new town and start a new life and no one would really care.

In other cases, even today, missing people come home and no one would report the return to the police so years later they’d still be listed as “ missing”.

I would imagine that is frustrating for LE when the return of the missing person is not reported.

Interestingly, Geneva's NamUs case file was added on November 9, 2019. On the NamUs contact page, Kern County Sheriff's office is the case owner. The agency case number is 2019-00180766, and the date reported is listed as November 9, 2019. It makes me wonder if a family member reported her missing in on November 9. And since the case number begins with 2019, would that mean it was reported in 2019? Or could it be that it was reported in 1950 but they just assigned it a 2019 case number when they added her to NamUs since the case was so old?

I see that you're LE so you definitely know better than I do.

Her photos were added to NamUs on February 12, 2020. The Charley Project added her case file on February 12, 2020.

What a lovely young lady. Interestingly, the Case file was added this year. Perhaps LE is simply putting everything online now or maybe a family member has made an inquiry.

“Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 12, 2020; case file added.“

Geneva Beatrice Long – The Charley Project
I think she is a lovely young lady as well. She definitely caught my eye when I was looking through NamUs to see which cases needed to be added to Websleuths. See my reply above to @Falcon500 about the "reported missing dates."

Interestingly there is a jail record from Tulare County Jail on Ancestry for Geneva Long dated 30 September 1946. She is listed as white and a housewife and the offence code is DP (domestic?). Whilst given as 21 this is likely to be approximate. Tulare County is almost next door to Bakersfield. This Geneva was born in Missouri.

Given the surname and listing as housewife I wonder if Long is a married name. If so a possibility is Geneva Cotton who married Homer Gilbert Long in Jackson, Missouri in 1942. However other records on Ancestry suggest her second name was Maxine. So we have a Geneva Long in the area who went on to remarry in Nevada in 1952 but with, apparently, the wrong middle name (and a couple of years out on age) for the missing. The differences are not enough to discount this Geneva, but also do not provide a firm identification. I will dig further in a week when I get back.

Geneva Beatrice Long
NamUs

Thumbnail

Demographics
Missing Age: 27 Years
Current Age: 97 Years
First Name: Geneva
Middle Name: Beatrice
Last Name: Long
Nickname/Alias: Jeanne Long
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 7" (67 Inches)
Weight: 130 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: July 29, 1950
NamUs Case Created: November 9, 2019
County: Kern County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: --
Circumstances of Disappearance: Geneva was last seen in Bakersfield, CA in 1950.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --
Left Eye Color: Unknown
Right Eye Color: Unknown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Transportation
No Information Entered

0 Unidentified Person Exclusions

Investigating Agency
Kern County Sheriff's Office
Address: 1350 Norris Road, Bakersfield, California 93308
County: Kern County
Main Phone: (661) 861-3110
General Email: --
Website URL: http://www.kernsheriff.org/default.aspx
Agency Case Number: 2019-00180766
Date Reported: November 9, 2019
Investigator: No Investigator Entered

I don’t have an Ancestry subscription but if someone does, maybe this lady is listed there? Perhaps in someone tree. I wonder if she ever had children.

Yes, I've worked on cases where I found that the person wasn't actually missing. However, some are modern. People who have replied to me on Facebook that have NamUs profiles. I show that to the NamUs authorities and still their profiles remain active. I guess it could be that someone is operating their profile but it doesn't really seem to be the case when you look at the postings on the Internet.

Interestingly there is a jail record from Tulare County Jail on Ancestry for Geneva Long dated 30 September 1946. She is listed as white and a housewife and the offence code is DP (domestic?). Whilst given as 21 this is likely to be approximate. Tulare County is almost next door to Bakersfield. This Geneva was born in Missouri.

Given the surname and listing as housewife I wonder if Long is a married name. If so a possibility is Geneva Cotton who married Homer Gilbert Long in Jackson, Missouri in 1942. However other records on Ancestry suggest her second name was Maxine. So we have a Geneva Long in the area who went on to remarry in Nevada in 1952 but with, apparently, the wrong middle name (and a couple of years out on age) for the missing. The differences are not enough to discount this Geneva, but also do not provide a firm identification. I will dig further in a week when I get back.

I looked at the record. I think DP might mean "Deferred Prosecution." I don't know exactly that what means in the context of 1950 California. I found this definition on Google:

"Deferred Prosecution: As opposed to deferred judgment, deferred prosecution does not require a guilty plea. The defendant is, instead, placed on probation prior to submitting a plea. Similar to the above, successful completion results in dismissal and may be eligible for expungement or sealing."

In other words, there is no guilty plea and prosecution is delayed in exchange for probation? It would sound like a petty offense.

It would be nice if we can authenticate that as her. However, there is the problem with the birthdate.

Geneva Jeanne Long - I found more information on her, but in one and only one article deep diving CA archives:

Madera Tribune 4 February 1952 — California Digital Newspaper Collection

Her husband Joseph was charged with her murder. I cannot find any information after that, and no information on why they decided to charge him. He was living in Colorado at the time, and Jeanne was living with her mother in Bakersfield with her children. Joseph and Jeanne were attempting to reconcile and he picked her up from her mother's home, which was the last time she was seen. He claims she left him and the children in Vegas after he gave her $200. Joseph appears to have been a petty criminal as well, initially held on forgery charges. If they did in fact never recover her body, I would say we are looking for a Jane Doe somewhere between California, Las Vegas, and Colorado.

Also--- does anyone know how you get NAMUS or Charley Project cases updated with information? I'm newish to this, still. Both Namus and CP do not have any details about her case listed, and this is at least a start.

Geneva Jeanne Long - I found more information on her, but in one and only one article deep diving CA archives:

Madera Tribune 4 February 1952 — California Digital Newspaper Collection

Her husband Joseph was charged with her murder. I cannot find any information after that, and no information on why they decided to charge him. He was living in Colorado at the time, and Jeanne was living with her mother in Bakersfield with her children. Joseph and Jeanne were attempting to reconcile and he picked her up from her mother's home, which was the last time she was seen. He claims she left him and the children in Vegas after he gave her $200. Joseph appears to have been a petty criminal as well, initially held on forgery charges. If they did in fact never recover her body, I would say we are looking for a Jane Doe somewhere between California, Las Vegas, and Colorado.

Also--- does anyone know how you get NAMUS or Charley Project cases updated with information? I'm newish to this, still. Both Namus and CP do not have any details about her case listed, and this is at least a start.
In 2019 I gave my DNA to NAMUS and the DOJ to try and find my Aunt Jeannie and asked that her case be reopened due to all the advances in technology.
A friend of mine sent me this link so I might shed some light on her missing person case.
My Aunt Jeannie went missing before I was born. Her birth name is Geneva Beatrice Pelfrey. Her husband’s name was Joseph Long and they had two sons, Anthony and James (Tony and Jimmy).
I am in possession of a copy of the original missing person article that was in the Bakersfield Californian Newspaper in 1950 and have not read the article you found. My Aunt’s case was also featured in old detective magazines, “ What ever happened to Jeannie Long”. My Aunt and her husband Joseph had been estranged and had decided to get back together. Joseph arranged to pick up my Aunt and their boys up in the evening from my grandmothers house where they had been living. Joseph asked to borrow a shovel and one was placed in the car trunk. Joseph said he felt they needed one just in case something happened on their long drive from Bakersfield to Monte Vista Colorado. Before my Aunt got into the car she told her sister, my cousins mother , if you don’t hear from me in a week call the police. When my Aunt didn’t hear from her she called Joseph who said she got out of the car due to a fight and he thought she returned to Bakersfield. My family knows my Aunt would have never left her boys and their custody was something they had been fighting about. Also, my Aunt had experienced domestic abuse in their marriage. Joseph was brought to trail but was never convicted. Joseph worked in Law enforcement and my family has always believed he killed my aunt and buried her somewhere between Bakersfield and Colorado.

In 2019 I gave my DNA to NAMUS and the DOJ to try and find my Aunt Jeannie and asked that her case be reopened due to all the advances in technology.
A friend of mine sent me this link so I might shed some light on her missing person case.
My Aunt Jeannie went missing before I was born. Her birth name is Geneva Beatrice Pelfrey. Her husband’s name was Joseph Long and they had two sons, Anthony and James (Tony and Jimmy).
I am in possession of a copy of the original missing person article that was in the Bakersfield Californian Newspaper in 1950 and have not read the article you found. My Aunt’s case was also featured in old detective magazines, “ What ever happened to Jeannie Long”. My Aunt and her husband Joseph had been estranged and had decided to get back together. Joseph arranged to pick up my Aunt and their boys up in the evening from my grandmothers house where they had been living. Joseph asked to borrow a shovel and one was placed in the car trunk. Joseph said he felt they needed one just in case something happened on their long drive from Bakersfield to Monte Vista Colorado. Before my Aunt got into the car she told her sister, my cousins mother , if you don’t hear from me in a week call the police. When my Aunt didn’t hear from her she called Joseph who said she got out of the car due to a fight and he thought she returned to Bakersfield. My family knows my Aunt would have never left her boys and their custody was something they had been fighting about. Also, my Aunt had experienced domestic abuse in their marriage. Joseph was brought to trail but was never convicted. Joseph worked in Law enforcement and my family has always believed he killed my aunt and buried her somewhere between Bakersfield and Colorado.
I'm so happy to see you pop up on here! I always wonder who is out there still missing these women who have long unsolved cases, so it makes me happy to know that they are still cared about and not forgotten and have family looking for them. Have you worked with NAMUS to get her details updated? So far all 3 main databases I comb through have no information on her case (NAMUS, Doe, Charlie Project). There seem to be a few possible matches for her on unidentified does, one I have been looking at in particular from Washington County Utah could also be a potential match- however, on that one they buried the remains in an unmarked grave and lost the location in the graveyard. Will you keep us updated if you find out anything on potential DNA hits?

I'm so happy to see you pop up on here! I always wonder who is out there still missing these women who have long unsolved cases, so it makes me happy to know that they are still cared about and not forgotten and have family looking for them. Have you worked with NAMUS to get her details updated? So far all 3 main databases I comb through have no information on her case (NAMUS, Doe, Charlie Project). There seem to be a few possible matches for her on unidentified does, one I have been looking at in particular from Washington County Utah could also be a potential match- however, on that one they buried the remains in an unmarked grave and lost the location in the graveyard. Will you keep us updated if you find out anything on potential DNA hits?

When I contacted NAMUS I gave them two pictures and the information I posted. I will contact them again along with the other projects to get her up dated. Thank you for caring and for trying to find her it means the world to me.

NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number14826
Hello this Jane Doe was found in 1952 and they tried to recreate the face I have compared photos and it would seem to be a very strong possibility however the teeth are extremely prominent so I was hoping to get feedback. I have photos but not sure if it’s okay to post here. Also there is a picture of jewelry that maybe a family member could ID?
Circumstances of RecoveryRemains were found in an unused gravel pit in the woods by a man who was on a hunting trip. The body was found under a log and was charred due to being set on fire. The body was found approximately 100 yards from Highway 119 and about 25 feet from Clear Creek.

Possible match:
1685187974997.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member