CA CA - Georgia Moses, 12, strangled, Petaluma, 13 Aug 1997

First let me preface my post with stating I am NOT advertising my podcast, I don’t ever have to mention the name of it. I am a very new and novice podcaster, however I am a Bay Area native and came across Georgia’a story in some research. My heart hurt at how little information there is on the case. As a mom Of a 12 year old now, it made it more heartbreaking... what I am asking for is information on her and her story and any information you have about the day she went missing and any of the suspects. I will not be doing a full series on her, but I do want to do an episode on her to raise awareness and to hopefully bring attention to this case and the active petition that was just posted. Any information is helpful.... you can remain anonymous, you can have your name mentioned... whatever works. I just want to make sure that Georgia gets her story told. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing more about Georgia.

Hi, please reach out to me directly. I'd like to talk to you more about this. You can email whathappenedtogeorgialee@gmail.com

Hoping the Sonoma County Sheriff's department will look into some of these items. Some of my thoughts on this case. The suspect profile is a man who was in his late 20's, 6'3" tall and short cropped hair. The man may be from Marin City or San Francisco. He may have been from Fillmore area of San Francisco. He may live in Oakland now.
He would be in his 40's now. The Sheriff's department needs to reinterview her friends at the time, I am sure one of them may know who he is. Georgia thought she was going to a party with this man that night. From what I know, this man probably continued similar behavior through the years with the same group of friends. Anyone who knew Georgia please contact the Sonoma County's Sheriff's department and ask to be reinterviewed. Anything you remember may help 707-565-2185. There is also a reward for any information that will lead to the arrest of the person responsible.
#JusticeForGeorgiaLeeMoses

So I have this correct,
- 12 yo female, she was seen with an unknown man supposedly in his early 20's, (race not listed) 8 days later her body was discovered she was never reported missing?

Victim was sexually assaulted and strangled

Her body was recovered just off the road to an on ramp if I read that correctly ?

So I have this correct,
- 12 yo female, she was seen with an unknown man supposedly in his early 20's, (race not listed) 8 days later her body was discovered she was never reported missing?

Victim was sexually assaulted and strangled

Her body was recovered just off the road to an on ramp if I read that correctly ?
Please see attached flyer.

Attachments

• 1D6C4503-3D39-4351-A772-3C5B1815F785.jpeg
    1D6C4503-3D39-4351-A772-3C5B1815F785.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 13
For anyone new to this thread please see attached flyer. #JusticeForGeorgiaLeeMoses Please share. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1FED3FF2-CB76-4E06-A8AC-0DC5502E8EB5.jpeg
    1FED3FF2-CB76-4E06-A8AC-0DC5502E8EB5.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 3
Thats not answering my question, she was 12, missing for 8 days and was never reported missing ??

Is that correct or no?

Yes she was 12 but ran away a lot because her mom was mentally ill and Georgia ended up caring for her younger sister and her mother. They lived with her mom’s sex offender boyfriend in a 1 bedroom apartment so JMO he probably has something to do with her wanting to leave a lot as well.
She wasn’t reported missing by her unstable family so her body was discovered before cops learned from someone familiar with the family that she was missing.
One of the articles linked up thread states she was picked up by an African American male, 25-30, 6’3”. They were supposed to be going to a party.
I’ll go ahead and throw in a MOO just in case I missed a detail or messed something up as the above is based on my memory of reading this thread.

Yes she was 12 but ran away a lot because her mom was mentally ill and Georgia ended up caring for her younger sister and her mother. They lived with her mom’s sex offender boyfriend in a 1 bedroom apartment so JMO he probably has something to do with her wanting to leave a lot as well.
She wasn’t reported missing by her unstable family so her body was discovered before cops learned from someone familiar with the family that she was missing.
One of the articles linked up thread states she was picked up by an African American male, 25-30, 6’3”. They were supposed to be going to a party.
I’ll go ahead and throw in a MOO just in case I missed a detail or messed something up as the above is based on my memory of reading this thread.

Hi, much of this information is incorrect or only partly correct.

is there someplace that i can view the facts of her case ?
You can reach out to whathappenedtogeorgialee@gmail.com if you have any information or are looking for specifics and feel you can contribute to the progress of the case - There is a lot of true information out there, but there is also a lot of inaccuracies and as family and family advocates, we are doing our best to dispel rumors. Given the delicate nature of the case, we share only correct information and information that will not jeopardize the case. If you'd like to see the information that we are able to share you can follow the Instagram @justiceforgeorgialeemoses or the Facebook page of the same name.

My apologies. Everything I read is located in this thread. I guess some of the links are reporting inaccurate info.

Understandable. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. There's also a lot of true information in this thread. We encourage you to follow the instagram or the facebook for up to date information that we are able to share publicly. That doesn't mean we discourage conversation here - we just hope that if anyone feels they can truly help the case that they reach to us directly via that or the gmail.

You can reach out to whathappenedtogeorgialee@gmail.com if you have any information or are looking for specifics and feel you can contribute to the progress of the case - There is a lot of true information out there, but there is also a lot of inaccuracies and as family and family advocates, we are doing our best to dispel rumors. Given the delicate nature of the case, we share only correct information and information that will not jeopardize the case. If you'd like to see the information that we are able to share you can follow the Instagram @justiceforgeorgialeemoses or the Facebook page of the same name.

I wish you luck in your search

Georgia wasn't a typical 12 year old girl. Her family and friends remember her as an old soul, caring and responsible. Whether it was protecting a classmate from bullying or taking on the task of caring for her ill mother or looking after her younger sister, she did it without complaining.

At the time, Angel was living at a foster home, and Georgia, who lived with their mother in Santa Rosa, had been staying at a family friend’s house, always made sure to check up on her younger sister.

“She would come over and braid my hair,” Angel told Dateline. “She always did my hair. She came over that night… the last night she was seen. I begged her to take me with her. She said she couldn’t, but that she would come back for me. She never did. That was the last time I saw her.”

That night was the night of August 13, 1997. Angel told Dateline that she later discovered that Georgia and a friend had been hanging out when Georgia received a page on her pager and called the number back.

Sometime later, the friend walked Georgia to a gas station near the intersection of Sebastopol Road and Dutton Avenue in Santa Rosa, where the friend said Georgia left with an unidentified man. It was the last time she was seen alive.

More than a week later, on August 22, 1997, a Caltrans worker fixing a broken guardrail off Highway 101 in Petaluma, California, discovered the body of a young girl in a grove of trees. But she wasn’t immediately identified.

On the same day, back in Santa Rosa, Child Protective Services (CPS) paid a visit to Angel’s foster home. She told Dateline that they inquired about her sister.

“Eight days had passed since I saw my sister,” Angel said tearfully. “I knew something was wrong because she always came to see me. So at seven years old, I was the one who had to report my sister missing.”

According to Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sergeant Juan Valencia, Georgia had been strangled. Her body was so badly decomposed that she had to be identified through dental records. The coroner listed August 13, the last day Georgia was seen, as her date of death.
Murder of 12-year-old girl in 1997 still unsolved 23 years later

Klaas’ story is undoubtedly sad and the media attention was by no means undeserved or unwarranted. The thing that many did and do consider sad, however, is that Georgia Lee Moses initially received nothing close to the kind of attention that Klaas did.

“Not to make it a racial matter,” Waits told L.A. Weekly (Lloyd, 1999), “but it was one of those things where, you know, she’s a black kid, and when it comes to missing children and unsolved crimes, a lot of it has to do with timing, or publicity . . . and there was this whole Polly Klaas Foundation up here, while Georgia Lee did not get any real attention. And I wanted to write a song about it.”

I’ve read a lot about this case. I have no idea if Moses’ race or socioeconomic status were really the reason for her being handled so differently than Klaas’ by the media and the authorities. They very well may have been. There also very well may have been other factors at play. I don’t know and I’m not here to make that the central issue.

Personally, my heart just breaks for the kid. She’d not been given much of a chance at life. At 12 years old she was living wild, unsupervised, with no real hope in sight. There were warning signs galore that she was in trouble, but the authorities and her community failed to notice.

At an age when her biggest concerns should have been dealing with crushes and math tests and intramural sports, she was floating around in a bleak universe where no one seemed to care overly much about her.

Then, it was simply too late.

In the chorus for “Georgia Lee,” Waits asks,

Why wasn’t God watching?
Why wasn’t God listening?
Why wasn’t God there
for Georgia Lee?

The Sad Story of Tom Waits’ “Georgia Lee”

Last edited:
Tears are streaming...
RIP Georgia Lee ❤️

Sign the Petition

Petaluma, CA, USA, Thursday, January 07, 2021._Angel Turner (left), the younger sister of Georgia Lee Moses receives a hug from Chantavy Tornado, founder of Love & Light. She spoke to the crowd after a short march in downtown Petaluma during the memorial that honored Moses on what would have been her 36th birthday on Thursday, January 7, 2021. Moses was 12 years-old in 1997 when her body was found in Petaluma after being missing for 9 days and the crime remains unsolved. The walk, which began and ended at Moses memorial statue outside of Petalumas City Hall, was organized by Love & Light. Turner, who now lives in Texas spoke of the continued fight for justice in her sisters murder. (CRISSY PASCUAL/ARGUS-COURIER STAFF)

Georgia Lee Moses would have turned 36 on Thursday. At just 12 years old, she was kidnapped, raped and murdered, a case that has sat cold for 24 years. Her body was found in a small grove of trees just south of town on Aug. 22, 1997. Her little sister, Angel Turner, has been working to keep her sister’s story alive, with hopes that the killer may one day be caught.
Memorial walk seeks justice for Georgia Lee Moses
upload_2021-1-10_5-54-53.jpeg

Last edited:
Georgia wasn't a typical 12 year old girl. Her family and friends remember her as an old soul, caring and responsible. Whether it was protecting a classmate from bullying or taking on the task of caring for her ill mother or looking after her younger sister, she did it without complaining.

At the time, Angel was living at a foster home, and Georgia, who lived with their mother in Santa Rosa, had been staying at a family friend’s house, always made sure to check up on her younger sister.

“She would come over and braid my hair,” Angel told Dateline. “She always did my hair. She came over that night… the last night she was seen. I begged her to take me with her. She said she couldn’t, but that she would come back for me. She never did. That was the last time I saw her.”

That night was the night of August 13, 1997. Angel told Dateline that she later discovered that Georgia and a friend had been hanging out when Georgia received a page on her pager and called the number back.

Sometime later, the friend walked Georgia to a gas station near the intersection of Sebastopol Road and Dutton Avenue in Santa Rosa, where the friend said Georgia left with an unidentified man. It was the last time she was seen alive.

More than a week later, on August 22, 1997, a Caltrans worker fixing a broken guardrail off Highway 101 in Petaluma, California, discovered the body of a young girl in a grove of trees. But she wasn’t immediately identified.

On the same day, back in Santa Rosa, Child Protective Services (CPS) paid a visit to Angel’s foster home. She told Dateline that they inquired about her sister.

“Eight days had passed since I saw my sister,” Angel said tearfully. “I knew something was wrong because she always came to see me. So at seven years old, I was the one who had to report my sister missing.”

According to Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sergeant Juan Valencia, Georgia had been strangled. Her body was so badly decomposed that she had to be identified through dental records. The coroner listed August 13, the last day Georgia was seen, as her date of death.
Murder of 12-year-old girl in 1997 still unsolved 23 years later

So it wasn't uncommon for her to be away for periods of time with no one asking where she was if I'm reading it correctly

A 12 yo with a pager back then is kind of interesting, i remember kids having them but 12 seems a little young , is it possible she was involved in something ? Drugs, prostitution etc?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back