CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #2

With his kind of money he could buy a fake passport and be happily living in Thailand or South America.

I have always thought Mr. Beck simply decided to leave it all behind and go live elsewhere. I hope it is true.

I think the same thing at times. It's just unreal how many people disappear without a trace.

Just checking in here to see if there was any new developments. I checked online media too and it looks like Beck's case stopped being updated by the family and no new news stories (tongue twister) out. Still a very sad story with a lot of possible layers.

The only thing that makes me think he didn't leave is his being seen at Land's End during that day. If I had socked away money and was planning an exit, I would probably board a train (they don't require ID to travel maybe?) and be completely out of the area before anyone even knew I was gone. Why hang around and risk being seen if I was planning to run away?

I am assuming LE looked at airport videos to see if he boarded a plane. It could be possible he took off for a foreign country (or USA) and when things die down he will send for the wife......and she knew all along, but I sort of doubt it. BUT! Crazier plots have happened and anything is possible I guess.

Or maybe someone drove him across the border to Mexico. I've wondered about the wife knowing about it as well, who knows, I think just about anything is possible only because there's nothing else to say otherwise.

The folder is what makes me feel fairly certain he is in hiding and didn't end his life at the bridge. That folder would have been found on the bridge if he left it behind (in fact, he would have dumped it right away if his intention was to end it all, instead of carrying it with him on his long walk across the city.) And if he was holding it and jumped, the contents would have scattered across the surface of the water. So this, to me, is strong evidence that he did not end his life, but actually crossed the GG Bridge (or maybe he boarded a boat?) to waiting transportation. Who knows, maybe he has taken on a different identity (some hair dye and facial hair would be enough) and is living on a farm in Sonoma County or somewhere relatively close. My theory is he is alive and holed up somewhere under a new name.

The folder is what makes me feel fairly certain he is in hiding and didn't end his life at the bridge. That folder would have been found on the bridge if he left it behind (in fact, he would have dumped it right away if his intention was to end it all, instead of carrying it with him on his long walk across the city.) And if he was holding it and jumped, the contents would have scattered across the surface of the water. So this, to me, is strong evidence that he did not end his life, but actually crossed the GG Bridge (or maybe he boarded a boat?) to waiting transportation. Who knows, maybe he has taken on a different identity (some hair dye and facial hair would be enough) and is living on a farm in Sonoma County or somewhere relatively close. My theory is he is alive and holed up somewhere under a new name.
He may have had a new identity, ID, already tucked away in that folder. I think he is very much alive somewhere. It just makes me so angry though that whatever his intentions were, he couldn't even leave a message for his family saying goodbye. He does not want them looking for him IMO. I could not imagine being his wife or children going through their grief of not knowing. And on top of it being left with his mess to clean up. I feel if it was suicide there would have been a message left. He had to have known that cameras would show him walking the opposite way from the courthouse. If he is alive, I pray that he decides to do the right thing.

I have always felt that envelope was his ticket to a new life.

As a lawyer, going to meet with his lawyers at the courthouse, it would have definitely seemed odd to his wife if he had not gone with "something" papers of some type in his hand. He had this all planned out, and his wife dropping him off was the first step of his plan.

He is alive somewhere. He could not face the reality of what his life had come to. The embarrassment he had caused his wife and children were too painful for him. Leaving and living alone, isolated, was the punishment he chose for himself. There is/was no dementia involved. Depression, yes. He is living a very simple life.

My opinions only.

I have always felt that envelope was his ticket to a new life.

As a lawyer, going to meet with his lawyers at the courthouse, it would have definitely seemed odd to his wife if he had not gone with "something" papers of some type in his hand. He had this all planned out, and his wife dropping him off was the first step of his plan.

He is alive somewhere. He could not face the reality of what his life had come to. The embarrassment he had caused his wife and children were too painful for him. Leaving and living alone, isolated, was the punishment he chose for himself. There is/was no dementia involved. Depression, yes. He is living a very simple life.

My opinions only.

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I also think that somehow he notified his family that he's alive. Hence the silence.

The only thing that makes me think he didn't leave is his being seen at Land's End during that day. If I had socked away money and was planning an exit, I would probably board a train (they don't require ID to travel maybe?) and be completely out of the area before anyone even knew I was gone. Why hang around and risk being seen if I was planning to run away?

I am assuming LE looked at airport videos to see if he boarded a plane. It could be possible he took off for a foreign country (or USA) and when things die down he will send for the wife......and she knew all along, but I sort of doubt it. BUT! Crazier plots have happened and anything is possible I guess.

Part of his plan? To cast suspicion on whether suicide was involved, walking towards a major tourist attraction that is also a famous suicide spot? (I think John is/was a very intelligent man, he would know he would be spotted on someones camera) And at the same time saying goodbye to some favourite places/old stomping grounds?

He was seen getting off a train, if he had got on a train and not got off it they would know he took off somewhere else and to where. CCTV is everywhere. I believe if he isn't deceased someone drove him somewhere, or he went by boat. When I was putting together the map, and locating his google cache image searches, a couple were close to a marina, that always made me :thinking:

I've been waiting patiently for new developments too, but am now thinking that this may be it for a while.

Not to diminish anyone's opinions by any means, but IMO, the theories about John Beck feigning his death and running away, starting anew seem overly complicated and far-fetched. Those familiar with conditions around the Land's End Coastal Trail are aware of how critical it is to begin SAR as soon as possible due to heavy foot traffic and environmental/coastal factors that can quickly curtail the effort. AFAIK, the SAR did not begin until nearly two weeks (13 days) had lapsed since his reported disappearance. My understanding is that searches need to happen within 7 days, and ideally in less than 3, so chances of a positive result were already quite slim. I heard a stat on MSM, probably KQED, about the number of bodies that are never recovered from the SF Bay waters - it was something like 30-35%. I'll see if I can dig up that factoid and post an update. Also, it's likely that his folder of papers could have been washed under or out to sea if one considers the large volume of trash in the area (and there is a lot)... or that he simply dumped it in the trash and it was hauled off before anyone knew to look for it.

Anyway, I think the simplest explanation is that John took his own life and his body was not found. His family has probably been quiet about it because there are simply no updates/nothing left to search and more importantly, they need their privacy and a pathway to some sort of closure, as is the case for anyone in grief. I think it's also important to keep in mind that suicide is by nature, an irrational act, and despite having the support of his family and approaching a favorable outcome in his legal case, we don't know what might have driven him to act as he did. Again, JMO. Maybe we'll see an update on the 6 or 12 month anniversary of his disappearance, but right now I don't expect any breaking developments. I sure hope I am proven wrong though, and that he will be found and returned to his family. I also hope that this case weighs on the conscience of Doug Gravnik and Gary Hewitt and they never work again.

I agree (at the moment) with your analysis, sleeperlabs. Except that I don't think Gravink and Hewitt possess consciences. They have a long history of consumer fraud and defying court orders, even before the Beck case. Googling will take you down a rabbit hole of never ending tunnels and business connections between Gravink, Hewitt, Beck and others. I am unable to believe that John Beck was an innocent victim, as much as I'd like to. It's a sad and sordid tale of greed...making money off the misfortune of homeowners who couldn't pay property taxes...and selling the method to people who could ill afford it.

The last job I'm aware that Gravink and Hewitt held was in 2014 selling ads for The National Marijuana News. :D (<-----illegal smile). I can't tell if they are still there.

Scroll down to the bottom.

http://thenationalmarijuananews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Media-Packet.pdf

It pains me to think that JB killed himself and left his wife such a mess, and tremendous financial as well as personal loss, but it appears that's exactly what he did. JMO Then again, it's possible he's alive and in hiding, and that he has contacted his family. I do waffle, I'm afraid! Either way, it's tragic.

I think it's just a summary, and a warning not to fall for these kinds of scams.

I'm stumped that this man hasn't been found. It's crazy how big the world can be that you can hide in plain sight. But the world can also be so small that you can find links in the most unexpected placed.
I would like to believe that if he did jumped of the bridge there would be something left behind. Maybe it hasn't been found. Maybe someone found it and they haven't made the connection yet.

I think he is very much alive, and not far from home.

This qualifies as rumor I suppose, but it is an interesting analysis by someone who knew JB when he still had a reputation as one of the "good guys." He says that years ago JB was researching hiding assets offshore for a book he planned to write, but never did. The author hopes he's sipping a mai tai somewhere because he doesn't want to think he's dead. Apparently 3 or 4 investment "gurus" the author has written about have disappeared in this way.http://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-r.../91232451-the-disappearance-of-john-n-beck-ii

This qualifies as rumor I suppose, but it is an interesting analysis by someone who knew JB when he still had a reputation as one of the "good guys." He says that years ago JB was researching hiding assets offshore for a book he planned to write, but never did. The author hopes he's sipping a mai tai somewhere because he doesn't want to think he's dead. Apparently 3 or 4 investment "gurus" the author has written about have disappeared in this way.http://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-r.../91232451-the-disappearance-of-john-n-beck-ii

Thank you Lilibet. Very interesting perspective. jB was no dummy.

Wow, my jaw dropped when I read that. So, there ya go, I think Mr. Reed has very possibly hit the nail right on the head. I wonder what JB's family thinks. Do they know?Great find, Lilibet! :thumb:

ETA: This author has gotten my interest, especially his book How to Protect your Life Savings from Hyperinflation & Depression .

Wow, my jaw dropped when I read that. So, there ya go, I think Mr. Reed has very possibly hit the nail right on the head. I wonder what JB's family thinks. Do they know?Great find, Lilibet! :thumb:

ETA: This author has gotten my interest, especially his book How to Protect your Life Savings from Hyperinflation & Depression .

It made my jaw drop too when I read it! :) I've been sitting on this for quite awhile, hesitating because technically it's not MSM, and waiting for the conversation to pick up again. I agree that Reed has made a really good case for JB to be alive and well. I'm inclined to think that's exactly what JB did with his money long before he got caught up in the informercial/FTC case. One of his buddies was caught with an overseas account during the bankruptcy proceedings. I suspect that was the tip of the iceberg in that case.

I believe JB very smartly lived well below his means. He had lived in his house in Alameda for many years. I grew up in Alameda and it's a nice older home that's worth something, but the neighborhood is pretty average, not a wealthy one. He didn't appear to drive high end new cars. So the money he made over the years in real estate went somewhere besides putting his kids through college and investing in more real estate. And if he didn't made a lot of money using his system, why was he selling it to people?!

What hangs me up is that his wife would lose everything protected by chapter 7 because he disappeared. Would he do that to her without telling her where he was at some point? That seems unlikely to me. She was definitely part of his business before the infomercials, so if money was parked offshore, I think she'd know. The sudden silence doesn't necessarily mean they think he committed suicide IMO. I'd love to know what the federal government thinks!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back