GUILTY CA - Justice Rees, 2 wks, Woodland, 24 Feb 2015

What exactly is a slough? Is that like a swamp?

I'm more familiar with South Florida sloughs, which are part of the Everglades, but basically sloughs are wetlands. They can be shallow and lake-like or marshy. Here's some info on sloughs on the west coast:

A slough (pronounced "slew") is typically used to describe wetlands. Sloughs along the edges of rivers form where the old channel of the river once flowed. These areas are also referred to as oxbows because they tend to form at a bend in the old river bed, making them look like the horns of an ox when viewed from the air.
While this term is used differently across the country, on the West Coast a slough is referred to as a swamp or shallow lake system, usually a backwater to a larger body of water.

More info here: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/slough.html

Here's a photo of Ridgecut Slough:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34046677@N04/13317443053/in/set-72157642712028284

Welcome to the group, Cersei :balloons: Sorry it's not under better circumstances :( I didn't read this one right...I thought maybe it was just a parental kidnapping or disgruntled ex or something. I didn't think the baby was in danger. You're with God now, precious Justice.

Sort of. We don't call them swamps it's more of a wetlands area.

oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/slough.html

Oops, Crosspost! :)

Here's an earlier story about Justice from 7:56 this am. I don't know how accurate it is though. Another news station also reported that mom said she had been kidnapped.

More than 24 hours later, a resident in the area of Ridgecut Slough, heard and saw Green as she yelled for help.

“She said it was 20 days (old). She was with the baby, that her baby was dead,” resident Richard Vallasenior said. He helped Green after she said she crossed the slough, and dialed 911.
“All she can remember was that she was abducted here in town,” Villasenior said. “She was pretty bruised up and scratched up. She says she’s been out there for about two days. “

http://fox40.com/2015/02/25/officials-search-for-missing-newborn-baby-in-yolo-county/

Hopefully we'll get some official information from LE soon.

Looks like a body of an infant was found :(
The body of an infant has been found in Yolo County by investigators searching for a missing 20-day-old boy.

The body was found at about 9:50 a.m. Wednesday in a thicket on a slough west of Knights Landing by deputies with Yolo County Sheriff's Office marine patrol search and rescue unit. Investigators have not identified the body as that of Justice Rees, who had been reported missing Monday along with his mother, Samantha Green.
I doubt there is another infant missing at this time. I'll reserve what I think about the "mother" until more info comes out but I have a feeling the words "postpartum depression" is sure to show up.

If it is postpartum depression, she could believe something that didn't really happen. It's so sad to hear they found the baby dead, so much sadness. My thoughts go out to the family.

Thank you for the slough education! That picture of the slough is just beautiful. RIP little Justice.

According to this public group set up when they were missing, Mom was in boyfriend's parents' vehicle and never arrived to pick up other children at school. She did not take formula with her.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/395787460596099

Recent update - the bolded part is new:

Cecchettini said investigators currently have no evidence foul play was involved in the infant's death.

Green was taken to the hospital Tuesday and she has given limited information to investigators, Cecchettini said. Investigators notified her that a body has been found. Green is no longer at the hospital.

Rees' father and other relatives have been cooperating with investigators, a sheriff's office spokesman said. Bill Rees, Justice Rees' grandfather, told ABC7 the family is devastated. His son, Green and Justice lived with the elder Rees in Woodland.

Bill Rees said they believe Green who said she and Justice were abducted.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/local/davis/2015/02/25/knights-landing-search-baby/23982105/

Maybe LE hasn't seen anything obvious that might point to a cause of death? I dunno. I'm not even sure if Justice's body has been moved to the ME yet - it probably has but we're still waiting for him to be officially identified. I suspect more information will be coming soon since both mom and baby have been located.

Here's another updated report where LE is quoted from this morning's press conference:

He said it wasn’t known how the baby died but that the case wasn’t being labeled a homicide. “It’s too early to tell from the investigation if there was any foul play, Cecchettini said.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article11131949.html

There's more info in the article but I'm not bringing it over here just yet since it includes stuff from family members' social media and I don't know if that's allowed right now.

ETA: Something I can add is this:

Randy Green [mom's father] said he last spoke to Samantha on Saturday when she was supposed to bring the new baby over to his house for a visit. He said his daughter was acting “fine” but that she didn’t show up. Two days later, family members reported her missing.

Makes me wonder if mom and Justice had been gone since the weekend.

Wow, just like a leaky pipe more details are slowly trickling out:

Ricardo Villaseñor, the man who found Green Tuesday and called authorities, said he heard screams asking for help. He went to Green's rescue and she told him she had been kidnapped, he said. Green told him her baby had frozen to death.

Green had scratches and bruises but Villaseñor said it looked like the result of spending a couple of nights in the woods, not from a physical confrontation.

He said Green knew exactly where her car was but could not remember how it got there. He then called police.
A positive identification of the baby is pending testing, Cecchettiini said.

The article also says Green has been discharged from the hospital.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/local/davis/2015/02/25/knights-landing-search-baby/23982105/

I really do not want to cast any blame on the mom, as she lost a beautiful newborn. But I cannot help but keep looking sideways at her story. Hope I am wrong, but I think she may have had a meltdown of some kind and the baby paid the ultimate price. :rose: RIP Sweet Justice :rose:

Agreed... something does not seem right here...

Simply heartbreaking, no matter how this precious baby left this world :(

This case is screwing with my head; on the one hand the abduction story seems absurd but OTOH it appears that something like post partum psychosis could explain it. I know we don't yet have the whole story but based on what's been released so far what do y'all think?

Symptoms of postpartum psychosis can include:
Delusions or strange beliefs
Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there)
Feeling very irritated
Hyperactivity
Decreased need for or inability to sleep
Paranoia and suspiciousness
Rapid mood swings
Difficulty communicating at times

http://www.postpartum.net/Get-the-Facts/Postpartum-Psychosis.aspx

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread, but didn't see that 'found' in the title, and took my chances. Dayumit. :tantrum: Rest peacefully in Jesus' arms, cradled in love. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to grow up on this Earth. :tantrum:

I can't say anything about depression or psychosis because we just don't have enough info yet. I will say it seems she did have a support system. Was living with the child's grandparents, and little Justice's Dad was in living there. According to the one article, there were other children, but not sure who they belong to, only that they weren't picked up from school.

At this point...that's all I'm gonna say...

I'm not saying it is postpartum depression as clearly we have no idea however, my sister suffered from post partum depression after my nephew was born and it is the scariest thing to see. We stepped in VERY quickly and it all was fine after she was treated but it could have gone either way. We had a case in Toronto where a well known Doctor was suffering from a psychotic form of post partum depression. Her family knew and in fact she was under guard by her parents who were both psychiatrists. She managed to give them the slip, took the baby and jumped in front of a subway train. She believed the baby was in danger and by killing both of them she was actually saving him.

My hinky meter has gone off but I don't think we can pass any judgement just yet. I have terrible feeling that this is going to be a case of post partum depression and a horrible horrible tragedy.

This case is screwing with my head; on the one hand the abduction story seems absurd but OTOH it appears that something like post partum psychosis could explain it. I know we don't yet have the whole story but based on what's been released so far what do y'all think?

Symptoms of postpartum psychosis can include:
Delusions or strange beliefs
Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there)
Feeling very irritated
Hyperactivity
Decreased need for or inability to sleep
Paranoia and suspiciousness
Rapid mood swings
Difficulty communicating at times

http://www.postpartum.net/Get-the-Facts/Postpartum-Psychosis.aspx

At this point, knowing the little we have heard, I am leaning more towards postpartum breakdown of some kind.

I know that women do get abducted, sadly enough. But usually a young mom and baby would be targeted for a few reasons; sexual assault, or someone wanting a baby, or revenge by an ex or a jealous woman, etc.

But I don't think this incident is falling into any of the above. Heartbreaking and tragic, as I sit here awaiting the birth of my first grandchild. :heartbeat:

My brain is keeping postpartum depression psychosis open because I have seen someone with it before and I know how convincing and scary it is. She believed some very troubling things and she had proof that her story was true (when I am about 95% certain it wasn't true, unless there really are vampires out there). No one could help her or get help for her because no one could discredit her story even though it was so unbelievable. Also if they wanted to get her help, who were they going to go to? She would have lied to hide her secret and then never trust that person again and not allow people to monitor it. We obviously don't know what happened here but I hope they are familiar with how real psychosis can feel for the person that experiences it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back