CONVICTION OVERTURNED CA - Kathryn 'Kate' Steinle, 32, fatally shot, Pier 14, San Francisco, 1 July 2015

I have heard that she was shot 3 times. Is this correct? If so, I am very suspicious as to what happened. Was she shot at point blank range? I have not heard many details about the shooting other than this fellow saying the gun just went off.
I think it is unfortunate that the shooters citizen status has become the issue in this case.

'We've not heard a word': Family of woman shot dead on San Francisco pier criticize Obama for not contacting them as they demand mandatory jail sentences for deported criminals who return to the U.S.

Jim Steinle and Liz Sullivan, of Pleasanton, California, were interviewed for a Monday segment on The O'Reilly Factor

The case has fueled a national debate, with advocates of stricter border control denouncing San Francisco as an immigrant 'sanctuary'

Steinle, who was at his daughter's side when she was shot, said the proposed 'Kate's Law' would be a good way to keep her memory alive

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rants-return-U-S-illegally.html#ixzz3fq4ncfQ2

Kathryn Steinle's family calls for harsher punishment for illegal immigrants who re-enter America

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area...-punishment-illegal-immigrants-who?source=rss

The national uproar over immigration policy continued Monday, as Kathryn Steinle's parents said federal and local authorities "let us down" by allowing a repeatedly deported felon back on the streets before he allegedly killed their daughter as she was strolling on a pier in San Francisco.

Obama’s silence on Kathryn Steinle killing is deafening

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f5730e-2959-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

Why has Obama been so reticent to speak out? Perhaps it is because any soul-searching in this case would require him to confront the fact that his administration has been releasing tens of thousands of dangerous illegal immigrants with criminal convictions into our communities — including many who have gone on to commit murder.

After Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown and Freddie Gray were killed, Obama had liberal public policy points he wanted to make — about gun control, “stand your ground” laws, racial profiling and police bias. In the Steinle case, there are no issues Obama wants to highlight — because his administration supports the policies that led to her death. No wonder Obama is silent.

from above link....

"Steinle, who was at his daughter's side when she was shot, and his wife said the proposed 'Kate's Law' would be a good way to keep her memory alive.

"(Bill) O'Reilly is collecting signatures for the petition, which would impose a mandatory five years in federal prison for people who are deported and return."

'We feel the federal, state and cities their laws are here to protect us,' Jim Steinle said. 'But we feel that this particular set of circumstances and the people involved, the different agencies let us down."

'It'll be a legacy in her name and her death would not go unnoticed.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rants-return-U-S-illegally.html#ixzz3fq5bTUAE

(Bill) O'Reilly is collecting signatures for the petition, which would impose a mandatory five years in federal prison for people who are deported and return."

Fantastic, we already have more prisoners then any other country in the world, so lets get more of them, by locking up Mexican laborers. Brilliant.:facepalm: It costs a quarter of a million dollars to lock up a prisoner for five years. O'Reilly and his Mexican haters should take up a collection for the billions of dollars needed to lock all these people up. :mad:

I am not sure I understand this Federal 'Kate's Law' that FoxNews is promoting and financing.

According to this SFGate article a few days after the shooting, Pier shooting suspect had been released from S.F. Jail By Evan Sernoffsky and Jaxon Van Derbeken

"U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers had turned Sanchez over to San Francisco police on March 26 for an outstanding drug warrant and requested that they be notified before his release, so federal officers could take him back into custody and deport him."

"Before that, Sanchez was serving time in federal prison on felony charges of re-entering the country after deportation."​

It sounds like there is already a Federal law allowing the US imprisonment of previously deported scowflaws.

"Four of Sanchez’s seven prior felonies were drug related, including his March arrest, which stemmed from a 10-year-old San Francisco warrant for marijuana possession that immigration officials wanted to clear from the books before deporting him, authorities said. The other convictions included probation violation and felony re-entry after deportation."​

Anyhow, the article goes on to describe the California State policy, the San Francisco City policy and the Federal government failure to simply get a warrant.

Also, as nearly as I can tell, Sanchez's previous felonies were not of a violent nature. I don't think we need some new Federal law, I think we need all the agencies involved to quit competing, make their policies clear with one another, and if a warrant is required, then supply the damn warrant.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Pier-shooting-suspect-had-been-released-from-S-F-6365228.php

What's the deal with "Santuary cities?" Cities can now decide what laws they will obey or not? Can we have Santuary Cities where laws against discrimination are ignored? Can we have Santuary Cities where Gay Marriages won't be performed? Can certain cities decide they refuse to follow federal law in regard to Obamacare?

Why is it okay for a city to disobey Federal laws on immigration and our Frederal Government smiles and looks away and let's it happen?

Violent criminals are released too soon all the time. All illegal immigrants are not criminals. If you stack up all the violent crimes each year, I'm sure the majority are domestic individuals. Why wasn't this guy deported -again. Good - valid- question, but how successful were all the prior deportation efforts? Why was that child abuser allowed access to his children? Why didn't any one report that wife-beating drunk? Why didn't anyone stop her driving drunk etc etc. The questions that come up after the systems fail. People fail.

In Texas last week a boy was saved by a smoking pizza parlor employee who saw the Amber Alert. The kidnapper? Arrested the prior year for sexual assault of a child, but out on the street again associating with small children.

From July 2014: The Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force, with assistance from the Alice Police Department, arrested Channing Galbraith, 28, at the 400 block of Goliad Street on Thursday afternoon. Galbraith is wanted in Nueces County for sexual assault of a child and was transported to the Jim Wells County Jail. Authorities received information that Galbraith was hiding out in a home in Alice, it was unclear what Galbraith's relationship with the homeowner was.
As of Thursday, Galbraith remained in custody at the Jim Wells County Jail and his bond was yet to be determined. He will eventually be extradited to the Nueces County Jail.

Back on the street to do it again. Lucky that child was saved this time.

The issue here is how did an apparently homeless drifter obtain a gun? Wrong place wrong time crimes can happen randomly - but it is really too easy to obtain lethal weapons. Buy them, steal them, there are plenty to go around.

What's the deal with "Santuary cities?" Cities can now decide what laws they will obey or not? Can we have Santuary Cities where laws against discrimination are ignored? Can we have Santuary Cities where Gay Marriages won't be performed? Can certain cities decide they refuse to follow federal law in regard to Obamacare?

Why is it okay for a city to disobey Federal laws on immigration and our Frederal Government smiles and looks away and let's it happen?

Well, multiple states have legalized marijuana, in violation of federal law. Texas, Florida, and Georgia, have rejected Obama Care’s Medicaid expansion. So yes, I guess states can reject Obama Care benefits for their residents, if they choose. I don't know why they would want to do that, but they are doing it. Multiple states have also tried to prevent Gay Marriage, but I think the SCOTUS, has pretty much put an end to that one. The southern states have been rejecting civil rights laws for a 150 years, but like gay marriage, I think that matter is pretty much settled.

Tearful parents of San Francisco woman killed by illegal immigrant push Congress for stricter regulations and end of 'sanctuary' policies

Jim Steinle, Katheryn Steinle's father, testified before Senate Judiciary Committee in support of tighter immigration restrictions

Ms Steinle, 32, was shot dead while walking on a San Francisco pier with her father July 1

Mr Steinle recounted how Kate fell after being struck by a bullet and begged him: 'Dad, help me'

Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, a convicted felon who had been deported to his native Mexico five times, is charged in her murder

The Steinles want lawmakers to close loopholes that allow cities to decide if they will cooperate with federal immigration authorities

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-push-immigration-reform.html#ixzz3gbB3dQPk

By EMILY SHAPIRO 6 hours ago Good Morning America

The family of Kate Steinle, the woman gunned down on a San Francisco pier this summer, filed three claims today over her death.
The claims are against San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
"We're frustrated," Brad Steinle, Kate's brother, said today at a family news conference. "We're here to make sure that a change is made so nobody has to endure the pain that my mom and dad and I go through on a daily basis.
"Because the system failed our sister," he added, fighting back tears. “And at this point nobody has taken responsibility, accountability. And nothing has changed.”
Steinle said the family hopes to "start the process of change so people will feel safe when they come to this city."more at link: https://gma.yahoo.com/kate-steinles...-francisco-160448569--abc-news-topstories.htm

Ross Mirkarimi, the so-called Sheriff is incompetent in my opinion.

His domestic abuse issues were real.
Wikipedia says it best: "Mirkarimi was elected sheriff in November 2011. He served from January to March 2012, at which time he was charged with domestic violence battery, child endangerment, and dissuading a witness in connection with a December 31, 2011 New Year's Eve altercation with his wife, and Mayor Ed Lee suspended him from office pending an ethics investigation.
Mirkarimi pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor false imprisonment.
According to the San Francisco city charter, removing a public official for misconduct requires the vote of nine of eleven supervisors; only seven supervisors voted to remove Mirkarimi from his office and he was reinstated in October 2012."​

In 2013, a woman patient at SF General Hospital disappeared. The Sheriff's Office is in charge of patrolling and securing the hospital. After she was reported missing it took the Sheriff's Office NINE DAYS to begin a search for her and, they did not find her. Ultimately, after two weeks, the missing women's dead body was discovered by a hospital worker in a stairwell of the hospital.

In November of last year, one of Mirkarimi's hospital deputies claimed he was assaulted by a patient. It took the City attorney to discover that in fact, it was the Deputy Sheriff who assaulted the patient. The deputy was prosecuted, found guilty, and I assume he was fired.

And now this murder. With Mirkarimi, it is never ever his fault. What in the world made him think that San Francisco would prosecute someone for a 20 year old marijuana charge?

I detest him. I did not vote for him, and I will never vote for him (he is quietly running for reelection this November). He is incompetent.

However, with that said, I think Homeland Security and ICE are to blame as well. Deported five times? Someone there is not doing an adequate job. In my opinion this Homeland Security thing is just a giant bureaucracy and fairly worthless.

What would Brownie do?

Ross Mirkarimi was just thrown out of office tonight, he majorly lost the election!:skip::happydance::great:
[h=1]Hennessy defeats scandal-plagued Mirkarimi in S.F. sheriff race[/h]By Vivian Ho and Michael Cabanatuan
[h=5]Updated 12:09 am, Wednesday, November 4, 2015 Former Chief Deputy Sheriff Vicki Hennessy won her bid Tuesday to unseat Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, who cast himself as an innovator in the hidebound law-enforcement community but was dragged down by a series of personal and professional controversies.<snip>[/h]Before he even was sworn in, the former city supervisor&#8217;s standing in City Hall was shaken when he was charged in connection with bruising his wife&#8217;s arm in 2012. Hennessy was appointed interim sheriff as Mayor Lee fought to remove Mirkarimi from office.
Lee was quick to blame poor leadership for the department mishaps to follow, including the release of a man from jail who could have been deported but is now charged with fatally shooting 32-year-old Kathryn Steinle on an Embarcadero pier in July. The case sparked a national immigration debate.
Mirkarimi also faced questions over the death at San Francisco General Hospital of a missing patient whom sheriff&#8217;s deputies were unable to locate, allegations that deputies forced inmates to fight, the escape of two inmates, the conviction of a deputy for the unprovoked beating of a hospital patient, and the suicide of an inmate who had been brought in on a report he was going to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge.
Then there were Mirkarimi&#8217;s own troubles: a failed marksmanship test preventing him from carrying a gun and his driver&#8217;s license being suspended after a minor crash in a city vehicle.<snip>At his election-night party at Puerto Alegre restaurant, Mirkarimi was reluctant to concede. In an address thanking supporters, he would say only, &#8220;We&#8217;re not in a position we&#8217;d like to be in.http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-in-S-F-sheriff-race-6609175.php?cmpid=brknow

From last month:

http://abc7news.com/news/attorney-s...smissed-in--accidental-pier-14-death/1124091/

Lopez-Sanchez has been ordered to stand trial for the murder of Steinle, but his lawyer, Chief Attorney Matt Gonzalez from the public defender's office, said outside of court today that he filed a motion to dismiss the murder charges against Lopez-Sanchez because it appears to have been accidental.

"We know it was a ricochet. That has been proven," Gonzalez said. "There is no dispute about that"...

The judge put off hearing the motion today and is scheduled to hear it on Jan. 29. A status update on Lopez-Sanchez's case has been scheduled for Feb. 8, according to the public defender's office.

Kate Steinle case: Murder trial set for February

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/15/kate-steinle-case-murder-trial-set-for-february/

Juan Francisco Lopez Sanchez is charged with killing Kate Steinle on July 1, 2015 as she walked on a tourist pier with her father. Lopez Sanchez has pleaded not guilty and his lawyers have described the shooting as an accident with a stolen law enforcement gun.

Lopez-Sanchez appeared in court briefly Tuesday as San Francisco Superior Court Judge Teri Jackson set the start of his trial for Feb. 17. It had been set for early next month, but lawyers on both sides agreed to the postponement because of busy schedules.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back