Identified! CA - Long Beach - WhtMale 15-19 - 1392UMCA - 'Paid' stamp on hand- Jun'78 - Kenneth Nevada Williams

Yes, several years ago, I went through a few hundred of them covering southern LA County and Orange County. I came across JP from Cerritos (mentioned upthread here), and thought I had found him. It took a few months to figure out that JP was not our guy. I never got back to looking in yearbooks after that.

It sounds like a daunting task.
Thanks for all that you do.

Jay Joggerst has now been ruled out in both Gacy and Corll's cases. He went missing in 1972 with a girl who was later found alive in California. He's the same height as this UID.
Thumbnail

Jay Joggerst has now been ruled out in both Gacy and Corll's cases. He went missing in 1972 with a girl who was later found alive in California. He's the same height as this UID.
Thumbnail

Interesting. I find it odd that Geraldine couldn't fill in some blanks, like where she last saw him, did he make it to CA with her, was he dropped off between MO and CA? That sort of thing.

He does resemble the recons and PM photos, and the UP has DNA. Here's hoping Jay has a DNA profile to compare it to. Namstache, do you know if anyone has submitted Jay for consideration?

Bumping. 41 years ago today.

I recently found this case when it was featured on a Facebook group called "Help ID me."

Someone commented on there that he looks someone she knew as "Jimmy" who had lived with her family in Downey around 1975. The family kicked him out after they discovered he had been stealing from them.

Someone else who also grew up in Downey added that "PAID" need not indicate a bar, but that he could've gone to "Golf 'n Stuff" or "Skate O' Rama." I know nothing about the area, and I wasn't even alive at the time, so I can't confirm that.

Here's hoping this year we find out his identity!

Skateboard parks were the thing back then. As a teenager, I went to most of them. For that area, I recall that there were skateparks in Paramount, Buena Park, and Anaheim. (I broke my leg at the Anaheim park on Oct 1, 1977). But there were similar parks all over LA and Orange Counties.

I don’t recall if any of them used paid stamps, but they might have.

Derran Rogers, Missing from CA since 1973 resembles this John Doe found in 1978. What do you think?
upload_2019-6-5_21-6-54-jpeg.187848
upload_2019-6-5_21-7-13-jpeg.187849

John Doe: 1392UMCA

Derran Rogers: 1876DMCA - Derran Conway Rogers

He definitely does, but the gap of over 5 years and 300 miles concerns me a bit. To me, the short Doe Network article makes it sound like whatever happened to him was sudden, like foul play, and not a premeditated plan to run away. But who knows? Derran would've been almost 19 in June 1978, which does fit the age range.

Derran Rogers, Missing from CA since 1973 resembles this John Doe found in 1978. What do you think?
upload_2019-6-5_21-6-54-jpeg.187848
upload_2019-6-5_21-7-13-jpeg.187849

John Doe: 1392UMCA

Derran Rogers: 1876DMCA - Derran Conway Rogers
That looks VERY similar! I would submit him just in case. If this is indeed a Randy Kraft victim, he could've been disowned for being gay/bi and have gone missing/went to a more gay friendly area. Given that he was found near Ripples, that theory could make some sense.

:bump: for image revision :bump:
I think this is my brother. I last saw him about 1975 or 1976. I did see where I can contact the los Angeles coroner office. My brother was taken into our house as a foster child. I've looked for him for about 20+ years. My brother went to high school in san Diego. He would've been 18-19 years old in 1978. His name was Jeff Dodd although im not positive thats how you spell his last name. I was 8 when he ran away. I'm going to try to sleep and i will call tomorrow. He was arrested in San Diego as a teenager. I hope this isn't him but the morgue photo and 2 of the pictures look like him alot.
Thanks,
Michelle

I think this is my brother. I last saw him about 1975 or 1976. I did see where I can contact the los Angeles coroner office. My brother was taken into our house as a foster child. I've looked for him for about 20+ years. My brother went to high school in san Diego. He would've been 18-19 years old in 1978. His name was Jeff Dodd although im not positive thats how you spell his last name. I was 8 when he ran away. I'm going to try to sleep and i will call tomorrow. He was arrested in San Diego as a teenager. I hope this isn't him but the morgue photo and 2 of the pictures look like him alot.
Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle, welcome to Websleuths. Thank you for reaching out, we will help if we can.

Please definitely contact investigators. NamUs has contact numbers on his page. Was Jeff ever reported missing that you know of? Good luck.

Michelle, welcome to Websleuths. Thank you for reaching out, we will help if we can.

Please definitely contact investigators. NamUs has contact numbers on his page. Was Jeff ever reported missing that you know of? Good luck.
I don't think so. His biological mom was a heroin addict and my mom was a very abusive mother. I remember when he left. He told me he was going to los Angeles. He came back a few times to visit me and then it stopped. He promised he'd never abandoned me and I still can't believe he did.The morgue photo is what is so convincing for me. It looks exactly like my brother sleeping.
If anyone can help me id appreciate it so much. I have stage 4 lymphoma and I've been looking for my brother alot more lately.

Another way nameus could check if its him is he lived on Wilson ave in San Diego, he attempted suicide several times in San Diego, he was put in I believe mercy hospital, he was in Juvenile hall several times. He would do things like put die in apartment swimming pools and he was arrested for stealing and burglary. I can get someone to take me to the house we lived in and where his biological mom lived if namus needs an exact address. I've looked for him since the internet came out and its as if he dropped off the face of the earth.

Thanks,
Michelle
You should definitely contact him if you as a family member can recognize him. Call the phone numbers listed on the case files and they will help you

Michelle, Here are all the telephone numbers for you to be able to contact LE and the coroner

County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner
Betsy Magdaleno, Coroner Investigator

(323) 343-0512
Agency Case Number786979

Long Beach Police Department
(562) 570-7260
Agency Case Number 1978-6979

NAMUS
(817) 372-4169
allison.oneal@unthsc.edu

Members online

Online statistics