CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's typically all the city can do. CA makes it very difficult to do much. Because rental rates are so high, judges don't want to evict. We had someone squatting in a property for well over a year because they claimed they had a lease even though it wasn't with us and they never provided a copy.

He also lost his children to CPS in 2015 only to get them back this year. Not sure how they proved they were no longer residing at the warehouse which was a point of contention in the first place.

My local news says a man from Pittsburgh is missing from the fire. He was a lawyer now in the Bay area.

Are Ion and his wife legally married? She doesn't use his name?
What do we really know about Ion?
Does he have any criminal records?
I heard he was on probation, what for?

oh passion

well here we go.........

. It all sounds like a soap opera. A lady who was living in the fire trap called CPS on there kids being in there.

He retaliated and threw her out. He stole a stolen rv thing. She went looking around the place he was living at the time.

She found the RV and put him under citizens arrest and he pleaded it out.

There is some assault stuff in there as well

chapter one!

Gitana1:

You are your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Huge Cyber {{{HUG}}} to all of you!

Julie

From what I have learned is I think we are gonna be blown away at how much this is going on in that area.

I think they just feel like its out of control and the code folks do not seem to have any power.

just mo

I wish I can find the actual reports - they are on line somewhere a reporter had them in his hand

Mr. Lobe is telling me know how the fire at the MGM Grand (1980?) changed the codes. That building was up to the existing codes, but they turned out to be insufficient. Such things as fire caulking came into place after that. The mistakes were learned from, and things changed.
Here we're dealing with something different. This building was a code-breaking disaster and somebody, or a lot of somebodies, dropped the ball. We don't know yet if the code folks' hands were tied, if they were looking the other way, or what. I hope whatever is going on with this mess will be revealed in the criminal investigation.

Again, my heart is breaking for gitana and her family and thankful that blue22's sister made it out alive. This story, and the loss of these beautiful, creative people is hurting me to me core. Bless them all.

Gitana1,
You, your brother and your whole family are in my thoughts at this time. Your Websleuths family sends you strength, prayers and hugs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My heart goes out to you, your brother, your family and Jennifer's family. May you all be embraced by strength, peace and comfort . On my prayers. Hugs.

86-year-old building taking up almost 10,000 square feet

Dearest Gitana, thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, I had seen that posted in some articles but it was not at the top of my focus. Of course we have learned forums and reporters can be nit-picky and it might eventually have come out front, but I honestly do not think it matters to any of us here. There was no need for an explanation, but I do understand why you may have felt it was best to make this clear. However.... It changes nothing; our hearts are focused on you, your brother, and your missing SIL. It is obvious he and the family hold much love for her. Enough said on this branch... it is behind us now.

Much love, respect, and comfort coming to you, our Gitana. :grouphug:

Hello Gitana,
Just want to ditto the same exact words that Spellbound so elequently stated above. We are sharing in the heartache and offering our prayers for comfort for you and your brother and extended family members.

Videos of the aftermath:

The Oakland Aftermath
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/debris-is-now-75-percent-removed-after-oakland-fire/

Fire Devastation in CA ( buckets used to separate belongings from human remains) (attached diagrams, yellow circles = stairs)
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/fire-devastation-in-oakland-ca-after-warehouse-fire/

Inside the Ghost Ship (shows police inside the building in October, to access the roof of a neighboring building) (during events, back stairway would be "blocked to keep people from tripping over the electrical cords that would run down the back stairway"). (The owner of the building, Ng, has five other buildings in the area)

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/complaints-of-trash-pileup-illegal-construction-in-warehouse/

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 79
There is more of the interview here

2016-12-06t00-04-10-5z--1280x720.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

How Was Deadly Oakland Warehouse Fire Allowed to Happen? 1:55

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...iled-through-regulators-fingers-years-n692306

A talking legal head explained that LE can not do anything -- it is private property .
Quote from CARIIS on last thread re: the police in the building in October^^
Hubby (building inspector) and I are discussing this, and we just aren't understanding the laws there. Here the police would have called the building inspection department and the fire marshal, according to him, and the place would have been condemned.
Just not understanding how this happened. So, so sad.

Not saying I understand either the fine print or nuances of Oakland code enforcement but imagine like many municipal or gov't procedures, it works more slowly than anyone outside the system would expect.

This link describes the city's enforcement services which uses "progressive enforcement" to follow up on complaints:
http://www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/PBN/OurServices/CityCodeEnforcement/CodeEnforce/index.htm

I cannot copy & paste from link (for what-ev reason) but it lists types of cases, such as blight, bldg code & zoning, then details "courtesy notices," notices of violations, repeat violation notices, compliance plans, then violation appeals. Of course all that occurs before any actual court procedures.

As some in this thread noted sometimes/often in the US these cases drag on for many months or years. IIRC, the tenant (forgot name) who purportedly signed lease for property as 'warehouse' executed lease ~ 3 yrs ago. Maybe at time of signing, prop met code. For a commercial bldg, is there a muni inspection, after change in tenancy, or annually? IDK. Maybe a fire marshal inspection? IDK.

Regardless, unbearably sad.

I

People have said that when they would book the place to throw a show, DI would give them a price. Then when they got there and loaded their expensive lighting and sound equipment in, he would double the price and if they refused, he would kick them out and take their equipment. Shady rave promoter. Sadly the world has a lot of them, but hopefully they will throw the book at DI and make an example out of him.

I look back in horror at all the warehouse parties I went to in my younger years and how unsafe they were. I'm praying that it will change. We aren't going to stop them from happening, but we can hopefully make them more safe for our youth.

I will tell ya - pretty tough to make me speechless! Surprise!!

They are gonna run. The belief systems they both verbalized in these videos are astounding. IMO, belief systems pretty well control thinking and behaving.

They truly can not locate any responsibility. The world is against them. They were saviors -- that is just not in touch with reality.

The super scary part tho IMO, is their aa@ is on the line. Even then they can't at least say one thing comforting to any other homospaean-- that is truly chilling .

Trully chilling..............

They. can. not. do.it.

wow................................

Getting to know Jennifer Mendiola

One of those missing is a woman with ties to Sacramento. Jennifer Mendiola, 35, attended Friday night’s dance party and has not been heard from since, said her sister-in-law Anna Mendiola of Orange County.
“We are assuming the worst,” Anna Mendiola said. “Her phone has been dead.”
Jennifer Mendiola graduated from California State University, Sacramento, in 2010 with a master’s degree in psychology and was due to graduate from UC Merced in 2017, according to a brief biography on the university’s website.
Her sister-in-law said Jennifer Mendiola balanced her school and work life, maintaining her studies and knowing when to have fun.
“She just loved life, and she loved going out dancing,” Anna Mendiola said. “She was adventurous.”
http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article118875048.html
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article118875048.html#storylink=cpy
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article118875048.html#storylink=cpy

I am so sorry Gitana. I have no words for the extra sadness you and your family are enduring. All I can do is wrap you in love and hugs and prayer. :heartbeat:

Vulnerable people who need a place to feel free, a man who appears to give them that place, a city-wide appeal for more vulnerable and exploited people to come and hang out at his safe space.

An absolute tragedy for everyone involved whether victim or first responder.

And who is Derrick Ion?

IMO he's a cult leader, a junkie, a narcissist and someone who had no qualms whatsoever enticing vulnerable members of the Oakland community to invest in his palace of wonders, all the while knowing it was a house of cards. JMO.

Whoever posted above about Koresh? Yeah, I think you may be onto something.

Really bugged me.

A talking head type expert , when asked if he thinks evil one ( my new name for "it") is being "watched" he said a resounding "no" they have to wait for the investigation.

I totally think he is gonna try and run. They took his kids away, it is pretty clear he is not getting them back, he has his wife.

IMO , the way he processes the world around him why not run, and start scamming elsewhere? What is keeping him there?

NOthing- they already have a lot of mud on their face, they better not let this happen.

He is on probation, now is not the time for LE to follow the rules - give me a break

moo
I spoke to a prosecutor friend of mine tonight from a different county. She said LE will be keeping a very close eye on him.

Derick Ion Almena (March 2015 arrest photo) said that he and his wife feel that they are being unfairly blamed for the tragedy that has claimed at least 36 lives

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S28lWhfl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

3B14024A00000578-4003684-image-a-2_1480983014019.jpg

'I gladly would give my entire life of fortune, of wealth, of experience again, again and again…I would surrender everything,' Almena said.
He said he didn't 'know anything about this event, other than okay I’m mopping for it; I’m dusting; I’m cleaning; I’m getting it beautiful'.

lmena said the group was made up of young artists called Satya Yuga, and that he was like the group's grandfather.
'The center we all lived there, and was one of creativity, and beauty, and optimism,' Almena said.

saying the father-of-three should be in prison.
Michael Allison said he and other family members had staged an intervention 18 months ago in the hope of helping Allison deal with drug use which had left 'her hands like claws'.
He said that he thinks child protective services 'dropped the ball' by letting his daughter and Almena have their children back.

'Someone obviously dropped the ball between LA Child Protective Services and the Oakland one. They were clearly not communicating, there was no follow up apparently.'

Photographer Chris Nechodom, who was at the dance party, said people first thought the smoke was coming from a fog machine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S2C1JNEo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member