CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A talking legal head explained that LE can not do anything -- it is private property .

Quote from CARIIS on last thread re: the police in the building in October^^

Hubby (building inspector) and I are discussing this, and we just aren't understanding the laws there. Here the police would have called the building inspection department and the fire marshal, according to him, and the place would have been condemned.
Just not understanding how this happened. So, so sad.

My prosecutor friend also thinks they could have gotten a search warrant for the premises when the occupants refused to let them in.

My prosecutor friend also thinks they could have gotten a search warrant for the premises when the occupants refused to let them in.

That is something I wondered about..... to have so many complaints, be denied access ---- would make me very suspicious.

Gitana, I am so sorry. Grief is mighty. :cry:

70 people?!

I've seen people posting on Facebook that they are not expecting to find anymore bodies. Does anyone have any information on that? Ugh. I really hope they don't. I hope no one else was subjected to that nightmare.

Videos of the aftermath:

The Oakland Aftermath
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/debris-is-now-75-percent-removed-after-oakland-fire/

Fire Devastation in CA ( buckets used to separate belongings from human remains) (attached diagrams, yellow circles = stairs)
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/fire-devastation-in-oakland-ca-after-warehouse-fire/

Inside the Ghost Ship (shows police inside the building in October, to access the roof of a neighboring building) (during events, back stairway would be "blocked to keep people from tripping over the electrical cords that would run down the back stairway"). (The owner of the building, Ng, has five other buildings in the area)

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/complaints-of-trash-pileup-illegal-construction-in-warehouse/

RBBM

That falls in line with what I had read earlier about the origin of the fire being on the first floor, possibly under the second floor dance stage. I also read that it was in the back of the building. It really sounds to me like there was an electrical fire.

Not to mention some of the crazy wiring I saw in the old photos on the http://www.oaklandghostship.com/ site. Really, it was never a question of "if" but rather of "when." I'm so sorry for the victims and their families.
Gitana we're all thinking of you and your lovely sister-in-law. :grouphug:

86-year-old building taking up almost 10,000 square feet

Okay, so I guessed right in that it was built in 1930, but I thought it was only 4,000 ft square.

70 people?!

I've seen people posting on Facebook that they are not expecting to find anymore bodies. Does anyone have any information on that? Ugh. I really hope they don't. I hope no one else was subjected to that nightmare.

70 was doormans guess would be a good source for how many inside .

Later they backed down from the no more bodies stuff that media ran with. She was clear - we certainly hope not, however we have 20% of the building left.

linked earlier.

Oh Gitana, it's so sad to hear of your and your brother's pain over this great loss. It must shock and sadden you right down to the core.

I had a small bit of worry over this yesterday myself. My daughter lives in Berkeley, and while this type of event is not the kind of thing that she and her boyfriend would be apt to attend, you just never know where they might go on the spur of the moment or something. I had sent her an email yesterday morning about Christmas stuff before I had heard much about this; and when I didn't hear back from her as I learned more about the tragedy, I have to admit that I did have some pangs of worry for quite a few hours. It's an awful feeling. Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

http://people.com/human-interest/oakland-fire-ghost-ship-venue-artist-space/

This story was posted on the other thread. I was wondering what the paper trail would tell us. Anytime there is a complaint or code problem the legal land owner is notified (not a missing owner in this case). If this is true and complaints went on for years the land owner / trust management should be in deep hot water along with the subletting tenant. These innocent victims there to enjoy music perish because all the safety measures failed, city, tenant, landowner.
Not expecting this building to have had any insurance on it to pay these families. Jmt

ciao

Okay, so I guessed right in that it was built in 1930, but I thought it was only 4,000 ft square.

Oakland was a big Navy town in WWII, and that's why I guessed it was built in that era.

Gitana1, I wish I could say, or do, something more, but please know that you, and your entire family, your sister-in-law's family, as well as all of the family members, and friends, of the victims of this tragedy, continue to be in my thoughts, and prayers.

Dozens saw Oakland warehouse founder as guru, loved to surround himself with followers
http://www.ktvu.com/news/221789514-story

From the article above.

"Honestly, I don't think he is capable of feeling any kind of remorse or guilt," said Allison's father, Michael Allison of Portland, Oregon. "I've never seen him ever really care about anyone else."

Almena "surrounds himself with people who are going to treat him like he's some sort of guru," said Danielle Boudreaux, who said she was a friend of the couple for eight years. "He enjoyed having minions around to do his tasks for him and help build this great -- he thinks he's building this artistic empire."

A few years ago, Micah Allison's family talked her into entering drug rehab, only to have Almena persuade her to leave again, her father said.

I am thinking also Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Marshall Applewhite, Osama bin Laden, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Derick Almena is a psychopath, likely a narcissistic and malevolent psychopath.

I agree with your assessment of Almena 100%.

More from the same article...

A neighbor noticed how neglected the children were and befriended the oldest, having her stay with them during the parties.

"We noticed, oh, my God, she was hungry!" Waukazoo said. When the girl took Waukazoo on a tour of the warehouse, Waukazoo saw that the place had no kitchen and that the family and tenants apparently shared one bathroom, where they used a hose to shower.

These poor kids. This daughter seems to be under his spell too. I have to ask if the neighbor called CPS.

Almena previously worked as a marijuana grower in Northern California's Mendocino County, Michael Allison said. Almena would make himself out to be the man in charge of his fellow pot workers and managed to avoid work, Allison said.

I would really like to know if Almena's time in Mendocino county coincided with the disappearance of any of the missing people in the area.

"He was able to cast a spell on someone in a weird way that I just do not understand," Allison said. He described his daughter as passive and easily swayed by Almena.

I certainly noticed the spell he cast on his FB followers who seemed to worship at his feet. Micah Allison being passive and easily swayed by Almena is clearly seen in her FB comments about him, and it explains allowing her children to live in squalor. Mind control? Drugs? Both?

He is a very dangerous man. Where was he Friday night? Was he on the outs with someone at the party? You know where I'm going with this...

http://www.ktvu.com/news/221789514-story

Public safety...........when we go into a dance hall, we take it for granted that every code is up to date.
Personally I hardly ever looked for exists etc, when I was young we just went out for fun.
Never dreaming something horrific like this would happen.
Just trying to wrap my head around this.
And you shouldn't have to. Proprieters of night time entertainment establishments of all kinds have to take the responsibility on behalf of the people whose money they take. Given that their patrons are often (mostly) drunk, letting their hair down, dancing, having fun. You shouldn't have to double check the standards of the exits and fire safety of the stairs when you're on a girls night out, or whatever. Thats absolutely the job of the people making a profit off of that carefree time they sell.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Gitana1,I feel like I know you,having looked out frequently for your posts on many threads.Obviously I don't,but as part of the fantastic community that is WS,we are all together in this atrocious tragedy.I can't even begin to imagine how you and yours are feeling,just sending thoughts of healing and love your way.And when your ready to join us again,if you can,just know you'll be knocked over by all the virtual hugs!!Much respect and love,Rachel
PS Screw the haters,you guys knew and loved the real Jennifer.[emoji8][emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#BREAKING: 10 more victims ID'd from #OaklandFire.

Em Bohlka - 33
Micah Danemayer - 28
Chelsea Dolan - 33
Justin Fritz - 29
Alex Ghassan - 35
Michela Gregory - 20
Edmund Lapine - 34
Jennifer Morris - 21
Benjamin Runnels - 32
Jennifer Kiyomi Taouye - 31

And you shouldn't have to. Proprieters of night time entertainment establishments of all kinds have to take the responsibility on behalf of the people whose money they take. Given that their patrons are often (mostly) drunk, letting their hair down, dancing, having fun. You shouldn't have to double check the standards of the exits and fire safety of the stairs when you're on a girls night out, or whatever. Thats absolutely the job of the people making a profit off of that carefree time they sell.

After the movie theater shooter, I always do, and I always do on airplanes. It's just good to be aware for your own personal safety.
Tonight, our high school band director opened the concert with a moment of silence for the victims and responders. He also made a point to tell each music class he had today to be aware of the exits when they go to a concert or any venue, and if you can't clearly see them, you should leave. He knew a couple of the victims...

A memorial page has been set up SIL:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jennife...ane-1209280089157043/posts/?ref=page_internal
Celebrate the life of our beloved Jennifer Mendiola Barmby who was one of the missing in the devastating Ghost Ship fire. Please post condolences, share stories, memories and photos.

And the. There always seems to be an ugly side. Why, why do people have to be so ignorant?
http://trueviralnews.com/trump-supp...-missing-woman-thought-to-be-in-oakland-fire/
I saw the Trump garbage earlier and let Gitana know so that hopefully her brother can get control of the page from Facebook and block the trolls, turn it into a memorial page..

Derick Ion Almena (March 2015 arrest photo) said that he and his wife feel that they are being unfairly blamed for the tragedy that has claimed at least 36 lives

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S28lWhfl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

3B14024A00000578-4003684-image-a-2_1480983014019.jpg

'I gladly would give my entire life of fortune, of wealth, of experience again, again and again…I would surrender everything,' Almena said.
He said he didn't 'know anything about this event, other than okay I’m mopping for it; I’m dusting; I’m cleaning; I’m getting it beautiful'.

lmena said the group was made up of young artists called Satya Yuga, and that he was like the group's grandfather.
'The center we all lived there, and was one of creativity, and beauty, and optimism,' Almena said.

saying the father-of-three should be in prison.
Michael Allison said he and other family members had staged an intervention 18 months ago in the hope of helping Allison deal with drug use which had left 'her hands like claws'.
He said that he thinks child protective services 'dropped the ball' by letting his daughter and Almena have their children back.

'Someone obviously dropped the ball between LA Child Protective Services and the Oakland one. They were clearly not communicating, there was no follow up apparently.'

Photographer Chris Nechodom, who was at the dance party, said people first thought the smoke was coming from a fog machine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arehouse-tragedy-killed-36.html#ixzz4S2C1JNEo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

BBM

In Hinduism, Satya Yuga is the "Yuga (Age or Era) of Truth", when humanity is governed by gods, and every manifestation or work is close to the purest ideal and humanity will allow intrinsic goodness to rule supreme.

I'm not knockin' anyone's religion but, this description of himself/his group, kind of lends credence to OP describing him, as, I think the word was "more enlightened" than others. I've been around a few folks like this and normally they've used a LOT of drugs. I am not saying that all of the other people there were drug users/abusers and felt this way, but, I do think that this fella had dabbled in too many substances. Possibly his spouse had as well. I'm not letting him off the hook, b/c of that, nor b/c he provided a roof for those who needed a cheap place to live. He clearly benefited from renting spaces, but I won't blame the people living there b/c they chose the Ghost Ship rather than live in a tent in the park. I can't blame the folks who went there for a music show either. Nobody thinks something like this will happen.

I respectfully disagree. When I was younger I never really thought about checking such things. However, as I got older, and especially as we began having more mass shootings, I do a cursory check of my surroundings when I go into any facility now. Be it a restaurant, motel, concert arena, or movie theater. I'm not all that paranoid, but I figure I'm one step ahead if I already know which direction to go should I need to do so. It only takes a few minutes and it may save your life. I agree, all of those things should be 100% up to code, but, the fact is, that humans are fallible and screw up, therefore, I do a quick glance.

Edit: Again, I'm not laying blame to those living there or there for the concert, at their ages, I'd never thought it would happen either, but if anything can be learned from this, it would be to check your surroundings when you go somewhere. It may save your life.

70 people?!

Gitana believes 70 unaccounted for is a conservative number, she thinks it's more likely over 90. There is a criminal investigation going on- the mayor just can't be the one to state it. And Gitana has been hugging and thanking the mayor, coroner, sherriff, Red Cross, mental health volunteers, etc. And therapy dogs have been brought in for the first responders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraJean1130