CA CA - Mill Valley, WhtMale Child 4-6, 626UMCA, ladybug stickpin, Sep'74

It is definitely worth submitting. It he is not little Rene ruling him out may lead investigators one step closer to finding his true identity. Great job Anthrobones. :clap:

I came across this sad case and think that the little boy deserves his own thread. On September 26, 1974, a 4 - 6 year old boy was found dead in Mill Valley, Marin County, California. Investigators think that he died in January 1973.

Case File 626UMCA

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on September 26, 1974 in Mill Valley, Marin County, California.
* Estimated date of death is January 1973

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 4 - 6 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: Undetermined.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair. Small stature for age.
* Dentals: No restorations present
* Clothing: Clothing found closeby: Green nylon or dacron windbreaker, green and white stripped knit type shirt, blue t-shirt, Red Lady Bug 1/2" stick pin.
* DNA: Available

Case History
The victim's skull ribs and vertebrae was found in Mill Valley, California in 1974. His skeletal remains were found near the Mill Valley Golf Course.
There were no signs of burial, no signs of abuse or malnutrition, no obvious clues about how he died.
The remains were originally thought to be female, but DNA shows that the victim was a male.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Marin County Coroner's Office
Coroner Gary Tindel
415-499-6043
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
74-215

NCIC Number:
U-762977113
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Western Project - Arne Svensen - Images

http://doenetwork.org/cases/626umca.html

Ouch. He looks like my nephew did at that age. :(

The pin is interesting - suggests a woman was involved somehow.

I took a quick look through the NCMEC website for missing California boys in the right time frame - nothing jumped out at me, so I'll give a more detailed going over later.

The area he was found doesn't look close to any major roads or highways today, but it could have been different in the 70's.

I'll give it a think.

How about this boy?

The Doe Network:
Case File 4052DMWA

Jeffrey Dean Blankinship
Missing since March 27, 1973 from Port Townsend, Jefferson County, Washington
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 3, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 3 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'5"; 75 lbss.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Other: Another Date Of Birth December 3, 1969
Dentals: Not Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Althea Blankinship and her son Jeffrey, was last seen in the City of Port Townsend, WA, where they were residing at the time. They were last reported to have been dropped off at SeaTac International Airport.
Althea had made plans to travel to Greece with Jeffrey to meet her parents who were already there on vacation. Family members became concerned when it was evident that Althea and Jeffrey never arrived in Greece. They have not been heard from or seen since.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Kent Police Department
Detective Wayne Himple
253-856-5913
Email

Agency Case #: 76-705

Source Information:
Kent Police Department
WASPC

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4052dmwa.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4116dmrom.html

One more possible case the two boys look a lot alike, but this child was from Bucharest so I don't understand how it could be him. Thought it was worth a look tho.

The Doe Network:
Case File 4116DMROM

Right: Age-Progressed to age 40

Dumitru Laurentiu Cristescu
Missing since October 20, 1973 from Bucharest, Romania

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 1, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown, short hair; brown eyes. Very talkative and friendly.
Marks, Scars: Burn scar on right thigh.
Clothing: Pants; brown, hooded jacket with fur, and a fur cap with red stripes.
AKA: Titi
Place of Birth: Bucharest

Titi was last seen on October 20, 1973 on his way home from kindergarten, a route of 200 meters. His father had gone ahead when his mother and sister stopped to buy some fruit, so Titi went to catch up with his father. He disappeared and has not been seen since.
Titi's case is one of the oldest cases of disappearance in Bucharest.

Investigators

Jurnalului National

Source Information:
Copii Disparuti

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Jeffery Dean Blankinship I could see -- the little boy in Bucharest I don't think is a realistic possibility. Romania under Ceausescu was a pretty horrid place -- between travel controls and the social climate I just can't see a little boy taken out of the country.

I wish I knew more about what the area around the golf course was like in the '70s, and what kind of course it was then.

I also think that Jeffrey Dean Blankinship could be a possibility. The question then is: What happened to his mother Althea Dayle Blankinship who disappeared with him? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2682dfwa.html Could it be possible that both mother and child were murdered?

Could this be Althea?

Hot Case 951

Unidentified Female

* The victim was discovered on December 11, 1976 in Pierce County, Washington
* Estimated Date of Death: 4 months - 2 years prior
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 15-25 years old
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Auburn hair. Slender build.
* Clothing: A greenish-blue, denim jacket; reddish, denim jeans and the bottom of a tennis or boating shoe found nearby.
* Dentals: Available; #1 Enamel pearl, #31 Distal drift.
* DNA: Not available

Case History
A pheasant hunter found the remains December 11, 1976, in heavy underbrush on Weyerhaeuser Co. land east of McKenna. The victim was located a quarter-mile south of state Route 702, and two miles west of state Route 7.
Cause of death unknown, no obvious signs of violence. On Jan. 11, 1977, the remains were placed in the sheriff's property room. Two years and five days later, the skeleton was slated for destruction and was put in the Tacoma landfill.
Investigators compared the woman's dental records to those of many missing persons.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Pierce County Medical Examiner
253-798-6494
Or Pierce county sheriffs office
253-798-7516
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
76-20879

NCIC Number:
U-840023732

Source Information:
Seattle PI
WASPC
The News Tribune12/2/96

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase951.html

On "Unsolved - In the News" (http://unsolveditn.blogspot.com/2009/04/althea-dayle-marks-blankinship.html), someone suggested that Althea is maybe a victim of Ted Bundy, given the location and time. What do you think about that? Would he have killed children, too?

I searched for other possible matches and came across this boy missing since 1970 from New Mexico, David Joseph Miera:

Case File 1278DMNM

David Joseph Miera
Missing since January 10, 1970 from Dixon, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico.

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: March 7, 1967
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 2 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0"; 50 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
Eyes slightly set apart. He has wide feet. He was large for his age.
* Marks, Scars: Birth mark on upper mid-back.
* Fingerprints: Not available
* Dentals : Not available
* DNA: mtDNA available

Miera was last seen on January 10, 1970 in Dixon, New Mexico, a small rural town in between Espanola and Taos, of northern New Mexico.
According to reports Miera did not wander off on his own, and may have disappeared with a couple living in a bus, while his mother was hospitalized January 10, 1970 through January 11, 1970.

Investigators

New Mexico State Police - Santa Fe
Lieutenant David Martinez
505-827-9066

Agency Case Number: 51506

NCMEC #: NCMC1107558
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1278dmnm.html

I've done a little poking around, and the Mill Valley community is pretty wealthy small town, so I think it likely that the news coverage at the time would have been pretty decent. I'll see what I can find out about microfiche availability through the libraries in the region. If the discovery of his body made a splash, there was probably coverage in San Francisco as well.

I'm giving this one a good think, and will post some more on it next week, since I'm just heading out of town. The pin really interests me at this point -- I think it would be useful to know if it was an expensive kind of jewelry or more of a trinket.

I've managed to dig up the name of a coroner's investigator in Marin Co. that I will write to about this little boy. I'd like to find out if the case is still on anyone's desk (even at the bottom of the back burner pile) or if it is just forgotten about.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/571dmqc.html

René Bessette
Missing since December 20, 1972 from Laval, Quebec, Canada.
Classification: Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: September 11, 1965
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 7 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 135 cm
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.

Bessette was abducted by his non-custodial father from Laval, Canada on December 20, 1972, leaving behind his mother, sisters and a brother. A few hours after the kidnapping, the father's vehicle was found abandoned on the Victoria bridge in Montreal.

I think Rene is from too far away to be realistic.
I've gotten in touch with a volunteer who does cold case research for the Marin Co. coroner - haven't heard back yet.

I really hope we can get somewhere on this one - this little guy's face keeps popping up in my dreams.

Wow, I noticed that with both this sweet little boy AND the UID woman in post #6 (above post by LadyStardust) - that neither has an obvious cause of death (shows no signs of any cause anyway.)
Apparently, there is a POI in the Blankinship case.
Below is the link to see a photo of Jeffrey Blankinship.
I think there's a definite resemblence as well!

http://http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blankinship_jeffrey.html

I just wanted to bump this case. Did anyone ever get any info on a possible match to Jeffrey Blankenship? If both the UID and Jeffrey have DNA on file, does that mean they have been compared?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Jeffery Dean Blankinship I could see -- the little boy in Bucharest I don't think is a realistic possibility. Romania under Ceausescu was a pretty horrid place -- between travel controls and the social climate I just can't see a little boy taken out of the country.

I wish I knew more about what the area around the golf course was like in the '70s, and what kind of course it was then.

There were a few adoptions taking place, most of them only semi-legal. If you were in a financial position to pay big enough bribes, you could get through the paperwork and roadblocks. A co-worker of mine adopted two kids this way. So it's unlikely but possible.

I wonder why they thought he was a girl before the DNA results were in? Was it because of the clothing?

I wonder why they thought he was a girl before the DNA results were in? Was it because of the clothing?

It can be very difficult to distinguish the sex of a young child. The bones haven't developed enough to show gender differences. I suspect the small stature also played into it.

It can be very difficult to distinguish the sex of a young child. The bones haven't developed enough to show gender differences. I suspect the small stature also played into it.

Oh I get that but they thought he was a girl and said so. If they were unsure why say anything at all and just wait for the DNA results.

Anyway the only reason I ask is if the clothing or anything led them towards thinking he was a girl which led me to speculate that perhaps this child may have been kidnapped and disguised as a little girl to throw off the public and authorities.

Who are you little guy? :(

Oh I get that but they thought he was a girl and said so. If they were unsure why say anything at all and just wait for the DNA results.

Anyway the only reason I ask is if the clothing or anything led them towards thinking he was a girl which led me to speculate that perhaps this child may have been kidnapped and disguised as a little girl to throw off the public and authorities.

Who are you little guy? :(

They didn't have DNA testing in 1974. They had to do the best they could with what they knew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back