CA CA - Mitrice Richardson, 24, Malibu, 17 Sep 2009

I see your point jandkmom, but I still have many questions about the facts in this case. To me LE does have a responsibility if someone is clearly not mentally competent. I'd like to see an official statement from LE.

I agree that concern about her condition would be reasonable, but maybe it was really busy and she was in the waiting room and then left on her own. It concerns me more that if she did or didn't have a mental condition that her family didn't go and see about her. I hope my family would be more concerned about me if I was in jail than a stranger would. I just don't like them talking about a lawsuit so quickly.

So she must have used the pay phone right? Because LE had her cell phone? Why would LE give her the cell phone back? Or am I confused? One of the articles said she had no purse, wallet or cell phone. How come? LE wouldn't hold that as evidence so where were her things? Were they left in her car? Why didn't LE get them for her?

That's kind of weird, isn't it?

Salem

Very. Some article said that she had been making a lot of calls and texting, yet she didn't have her phone according to other articles because it was left in her car.

The time that Mitrice's mother called is foggy. I read 4:30am, and the mother said she would come to the station some time after 4am according to another article (it was already past 4). At *that time* the deputy told the mother that they had already released her hours earlier, so I don't think they were withholding the fact that her mother called. I know this is probably not credible, but a man posted on a Topix forum claiming to have entered the jail under arrest at 3:30am and heard the deputy talking with the mother ("This is not a babysitting service.")

It's my understanding that everything was left in the car.

Well, a few things that popped out at me:

Why was she there? Was she meeting or with someone? This is a romantic place to go because of the views. Malibu is a long drive from Orange County. Did she have a reservation? This is a busy place and they usually require reservation. Did she have family local? Goeffreys is a fancy place to go alone. Why did she go without money?
It seems like somebody was supposed to be there to pay for her, a date or something. However, she did make the strange comment "the ocean was calling me to Malibu."

If she had one drink, she would not have been drunk, unless someone else was buying her drinks.

The manager said she was in no condition to drive. There is an information gap between what she ordered (the manager would know, and should have been asked) and the fact that she appeared intoxicated. Was he surprised? I know one time I went to dinner with my aunt and she had one drink. She was off the wall saying offensive and bizarre things and acting like a 12 year old - playing with puppets in stores, and she even ate a handful of bath salt thinking it was candy, w/o paying for it. She is not supposed to drink because of her blood pressure medication. Mitrice's behavior may have been due to something that simple, unfortunately.

There was a lady on JVM who said that she saw her sleeping on her porch. And that was hours later, so I don't think LE did anything to her, but you never know, maybe when they responded they actually found her.

However, I remember when I graduated from college, a friend of mine was going to take the admission test for Law School. In the days before he was to take the test, he was becoming increasingly secluded, we all thought that maybe it was the pressures of the upcoming exam. He did a few odd things but we just thought it was quirky. On the day before he was to take the test he started telling us that his name was different and the cia was trying to get him, he disappeared, no knew where he went. His mother traveled to come look for him, and when she found him a few days later he was dirty in the smae clothes he left in, talking nonsense, he was diagnosed as schizofrenic. I remember speaking with her and she said that the drs told her that he was at the age for the onset of the disease. He was a very promising young man, this girl was around the same age. Mental Illness is very strange indeed. There was really no warning, he just lost it. Im wondering if the same thing was going on with her.

Thanks for all the explanations UCLAGuy :)

I don't see anything new in the media right now. I hope they find her.

The Board of Supervisors put up a $10,000 reward.

Prayers she is home soon,

Salem

Here in lies the problem.... If she was not acting intoxicated, LE had no LEGAL reason to keep her. Allowing her to stay and making the offers to her for the private cell or the chairs in the lobby was above and beyond their legal duties. If she was saying things that seemed to not make since, ie. the avenging Michael Jackson statement and dining with complete strangers, but did not meet the criteria for for intoxication (ie passed a sobriety test or a breathalized), that would lead one to believe that there was a mental healt issue, or someone spiking her drink. Either way, she could only be detained by MEDICAL/MH personnel, which means she would have to have been transported to a hospital for evaluation. HOWEVER, LE can only do this if the person is a threat to themselves or others, or has been committed by family/doctors or legal decision (involuntary legal committment.) She could be saying different "off the wall things" but could still answer legitimate personal and relevant questions appropriately (ie, day of the week, year, POTUS, current situation) , and LE would have no grounds to ask for a medical transport for MH evaluation. I believe that this is a very sad and unfortunate situation, but the possibality that she had a schizophenic or psychotic break with reality is a very likely explaination. While a date rape drug in a drink couls also expalin some or most of this behavior, I believe she would have still been too unstable and incapacitated to appear appropriate enough to be released from L/U.

I have read a few articles from the beginning, MR's mother went around and talked to the manager at Geoffreys who said " she was in no condition to drive" When she asked the police station why they released her they said" They didn't have the capacity to keep her" this was back around 9/19. NOW they're saying they had no reason to keep her and she was not intoxicated. They said back around the 19th ( police being quoted here) she couldnt pay for her $89 bill, NOW they are saying "she refused to pay". I read she forgot her purse, then they found pot in it, then the pot was in the car etc etc. Supposedly she left the police station around 1am. Heres a question. Why did they search her car to begin with? She was in the restaurant, why did they go and search her car? Also, I would like to see the booking photo??? Ok, its early, sorry if I don't make sense.

Me too! I would like to see the video of her leaving the police station (I am sure there is one). I would like to see the officer who took the phone call from her mother explain why they did not pass the message on and I would like to see the neighbors describing her when they found her sleeping on the porch or back lawn or where ever. If the neighbors fail to come forward to the media - I won't believe they actually saw her....

Salem

hello, lurker here:)
this is a good point salem, i would like to hear from the porch and back patio people too. somebody screwed up, either something happened at the jail, could she have gotten away without being released and they just thought she was some street nut that wouldnt have anyone looking for her? i think i also read that a teacher saw a black woman walking south on the canyon road friday morning around 7:30... when i first heard about this i also thought that it wasnt the pd's problem but the more i read i really think they screwed up plus most of my family is le and after talking to them i really believe that this lady should have been treated better, even if they did everything they claim they had to do legally - i just think they were prolly tired and were just apathetic to her situation as they prolly see many people that present like her and they didnt have any way to know that this was not normal for her . the thing that i dont understand is if they told mitrice that her mom was going to come and pick her up? maybe mitrice was afraid of how her family would react to her getting arrested...and was in her messed up frame of mind trying to deal with this situation on her own?? for some reason this one is really sticking in my mind, i really want her to be found alive, but if she got up in the wilderness around there i dont think anything good is going to come out of any of this. sorry for the epic length post! :blushing:

I have read a few articles from the beginning, MR's mother went around and talked to the manager at Geoffreys who said " she was in no condition to drive" When she asked the police station why they released her they said" They didn't have the capacity to keep her" this was back around 9/19. NOW they're saying they had no reason to keep her and she was not intoxicated. They said back around the 19th ( police being quoted here) she couldnt pay for her $89 bill, NOW they are saying "she refused to pay". I read she forgot her purse, then they found pot in it, then the pot was in the car etc etc. Supposedly she left the police station around 1am. Heres a question. Why did they search her car to begin with? She was in the restaurant, why did they go and search her car? Also, I would like to see the booking photo??? Ok, its early, sorry if I don't make sense.

I had the same question about the car. Why search it in the first place? I can only guess that they decided to secure her car in the first place because maybe the restaurant has valet and she wasn't going to be able to leave the car there. In securing it maybe they had to search it. I didn't get this either. But that is the only guess I could venture.

Something else is interesting too. I read that the marijuana they found was in her purse in the car. Which to me would indicate that they (LE) would take the purse with them as it may have also contained her ID. But they say she left the police station with no purse. So what did they leave it in the car? Then release her without any ID?

Also the family atty says that the mother of the woman indicated to LE that something was wrong with her daughter. So the police would have been then put on notice that she wasn't acting right. This to me is indicated in how they say that they offered her to stay there in a cell and sleep there. They act like the tried to convince her to stay there. Which further makes me believe that they thought something was wrong with her.

Sadly I just think that this young lady fell thru the cracks. I think her whole situation was handled haphazardly and sadly I hope that this young lady isn't going to pay for it with her life.

Somewhat O/T, but I guess if this young woman has mental health issues, it is better to find out now than when she has a classroom full of children. If she is just in hiding, she has effectively messed up her teaching career. I really do wonder though, if she has no prior history of this, if someone gave her something bad.

A new time has been printed: now Mitrice was release at 12:30am. Other articles say 1:30am. The time inconsistencies just keep coming.

And as for the video of her leaving? The camera's were "not functional.":

http://www.theacorn.com/news/2009-10-01/Community/Womans_disapperance_a_mystery.html

Another article:
http://www.jasmynecannick.com/blog/?p=6752

"Sheriff’s deputies arrived and gave her a breathalyzer test which she successfully passed. "

"Dr. Rhonda Hampton, a clinical psychologist who knew Richardson, appeared with Latrice Sutton, Mitrice’s mother, on KFI radio as a guest on a recent “John and Ken Show” to talk about Richardson’s strange disappearance. “When Mitrice came in the restaurant, the valet and patrons felt that something was wrong,” said Hampton. “Witnesses said her behavior was inappropriate and she was acting very strangely. I know Richardson because she completed her last year of undergraduate work with me at Fullerton. In my estimation, I believe she had a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Mitrice and I had a conversation about that.”"

"Sutton added, “I was told they would keep Mitrice until the morning. I was going to bail her out in the morning, but I did not know that morning was 1:25 a.m. They released Matrice without any bail."

"Hampton said, “Police felt that she was exhibiting some type of mental health issue, but now they are backing off that statement.”"

“We cannot get a police report and the sheriffs and LAPD are not giving us any justification as to why,” said Richardson. “The cameras at Geoffrey’s restaurant and at the police station recorded all the activity when Mitrice was there. I told both the owner at Geoffrey’s and officers at the police station the first day Mitrice was missing that I would like to see the tapes. They said they would get back to me on that. When I followed up, both tapes are now not available,” he said."

“At this point, they are not responding to my calls. Their stories have changed. I call to follow up on my daughter’s disappearance and they hang up the phone,” said Richardson, who added that he has documented all communication with the sheriff’s department.

And this may answer a question, and add another:
"As to why Mitrice Richardson would be in Malibu an area that was unfamiliar to her, the father reflected, “Mitrice wanted to get her master’s degree in psychology at Pepperdine in Malibu, so we feel that she may have stopped near Pepperdine before dining at Geoffrey’s.”"

but I thought she was *already* pursuing a Ph.D...

does anyone have her DOB and last seen time? I would like to put in a case request for the forensic astrologers here at websleuths...

does anyone have her DOB and last seen time? I would like to put in a case request for the forensic astrologers here at websleuths...

all i have seen is that she is 24 and her myspace says she is a taurus...

I hope that internal affairs is already reviewing the officers related to her intake at the PD! This case screams negligence on so many levels! There were so many times, at cursory glance, that the proper care could have been given to her....starting with the people observing her behavior at the restaurant. Are there any rivers or bodies of water along paths she could have walked upon leaving the PD? Also, have they used dogs to trace her from the PD as to which way she may have gone?????? I also (just my suspicious side talking) hope that any and all LE that came into contact with her have had their own whereabouts verified for the time in question... not to mention... cabs are a frequent thing around LE stations... were there any in the area at the time????

I have only been following this case in bits and pieces, but all the talk about her acting strangley makes me wonder if someone slipped her something in a drink or food where she was at and maybe had other plans for her later. Is this plausible ?
JMO of course

Wow! How sad. I hope she is o.k. I would be pizzed if I was her family.

the link on the first page(of this thread) to the other forum has a lot more info, lots of news links....i forget the name of the forum :eek: sorry
i think the last possible sighting was by a teacher on her way to work on friday around 7:30 am headed south on the canyon road...

all i have seen is that she is 24 and her myspace says she is a taurus...

We believe we have her DOB: April 30, 1985.

The problem is the multiple release times from jail. So far we have seen 1:00 am, 1:25 am, and now 12:30 am. Which time was it and why can no one seem to get verified reports from LE??

Also, the alleged sighting(s) of Mitrice in the morning on neighborhood porch(es) is troubling. None of these reports have been verified.

Unfortunately, I do not know if we can get an accurate read with all these discrepancies. Accurate timing is critical in forensic astrology...

Sadly,
Soulscape

Also, the alleged sighting(s) of Mitrice in the morning on neighborhood porch(es) is troubling. None of these reports have been verified.

The porch sighting seems to be "accepted." There is a post on LipstickAlley that claims the dogs (which I haven't read about them anywhere) did not hit anywhere in the neighborhood she was reportedly sighted in.

It is strange that the 7:30am sighting isn't getting any coverage.

Mitrice's story with "exclusive" footage on JVM:
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/issues.with.jane/

A new time has been printed: now Mitrice was release at 12:30am. Other articles say 1:30am. The time inconsistencies just keep coming.

And as for the video of her leaving? The camera's were "not functional.":

http://www.theacorn.com/news/2009-10-01/Community/Womans_disapperance_a_mystery.html

Another article:
http://www.jasmynecannick.com/blog/?p=6752

"Sheriff’s deputies arrived and gave her a breathalyzer test which she successfully passed. "

"Dr. Rhonda Hampton, a clinical psychologist who knew Richardson, appeared with Latrice Sutton, Mitrice’s mother, on KFI radio as a guest on a recent “John and Ken Show” to talk about Richardson’s strange disappearance. “When Mitrice came in the restaurant, the valet and patrons felt that something was wrong,” said Hampton. “Witnesses said her behavior was inappropriate and she was acting very strangely. I know Richardson because she completed her last year of undergraduate work with me at Fullerton. In my estimation, I believe she had a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Mitrice and I had a conversation about that.”"

"Sutton added, “I was told they would keep Mitrice until the morning. I was going to bail her out in the morning, but I did not know that morning was 1:25 a.m. They released Matrice without any bail."

"Hampton said, “Police felt that she was exhibiting some type of mental health issue, but now they are backing off that statement.”"

“We cannot get a police report and the sheriffs and LAPD are not giving us any justification as to why,” said Richardson. “The cameras at Geoffrey’s restaurant and at the police station recorded all the activity when Mitrice was there. I told both the owner at Geoffrey’s and officers at the police station the first day Mitrice was missing that I would like to see the tapes. They said they would get back to me on that. When I followed up, both tapes are now not available,” he said."

“At this point, they are not responding to my calls. Their stories have changed. I call to follow up on my daughter’s disappearance and they hang up the phone,” said Richardson, who added that he has documented all communication with the sheriff’s department.

And this may answer a question, and add another:
"As to why Mitrice Richardson would be in Malibu an area that was unfamiliar to her, the father reflected, “Mitrice wanted to get her master’s degree in psychology at Pepperdine in Malibu, so we feel that she may have stopped near Pepperdine before dining at Geoffrey’s.”"

but I thought she was *already* pursuing a Ph.D...

Am I undestanding this right? She may have had bipolar disorder? And family was aware?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back