Identified! CA - Pogonip, WhtFem remains 716UFCA, 12-18, Jan'94 - Kori Lamaster

Ok, so the video had the clay bust in it. Here's a screen capture.

pogonip jane.PNG

What do you guys think of her?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/608dffl.html

It mentions no tattoo, but that could've just not been reported.

What caught your notice about this girl that makes you think that she is a possible match?

She is from Florida, and the UID was found in California. She was reported missing a year and a half before the estimated date of death of the UID, and her height is outside of the range.

While none of these individually would eliminate her if there was some compelling reason to believe she was a match, I would say that there are too many inconsistencies.

Well, she has 1 piercing in one ear, 2 in the other, and I think she looks a lot like the clay bust.

What if she had a fight with the boyfriend, or any other reason to skip town. She could've been in California the whole time. Also, somewhere it was said that Jane Doe had been in that area for approximately 3 months.

Here's the thing - I am searching for anyone born 1980 and on....because we have to consider all circumstances, like what if the child went missing as a baby and the kidnapper raised her and then decided to get rid of her once she was older...given those circumstances, we can't just look for people who have 3 earring holes and a tattoo...b/c if the child was kidnapped at a young age, that information of course wouldn't be in the profile....My mind spins with these kinds of possibilities. :-(

That being said - thoughts on Jennifer:
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/634/9/
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pentilla_jennifer.html

New info on Pogonip Jane:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_14160027 From the article:

The results allowed detectives to change her estimated age to 17-19 years old and created new interest in an old lead, Smith said.

A young man came to the Sheriff's Office the year Jane was found and said he thought the remains might belong to his teenage sister, but his report wasn't pursued because his sister was too young for the age range investigators were looking at then, according to Smith. In the ensuing years, the brother's name and contact information was lost. All detectives remember is he worked at the now-defunct Baker's Square in Los Gatos. They're trying to locate old payroll records to track his name and find him, Smith said.

Attachments

• pj.jpg
    pj.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 49
They have exhumed Pogonip Jane and another Jane Doe.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14225463?nclick_check=1

Pogonip Jane exhumed; detectives seek subpoena for Salinas school records after anonymous tip
By Jennifer Squires -- Santa Cruz Sentinel
Posted: 01/19/2010 06:50:05 PM PST
Updated: 01/19/2010 06:50:29 PM PST

SANTA CRUZ - The remains of a teenage girl found dead in a city park 16 years ago were exhumed last week and investigators working to identify the teen, known only as "Pogonip Jane" hope next time the girl's body is buried, her family will be there to say goodbye.

Pogonip Jane's remains and those of another Jane Doe were exhumed last week for further forensic testing and, in the case of the second body, DNA analysis that has never been done, according to Christopher Smith, a coroner's unit volunteer who works on cold cases.

This is the only female in Charley Project listed as missing from Salinas. Her middle name is Maria, but she might be a little too old to be Pogonip Jane Doe. She also has a child, which would be inconsistent to PJD.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/q/quair_isabel.html

The thing that gets my goat in this article is the following:

"They are also working with the FBI to comb through old reports of kidnapped children, which are not entered into the missing persons system."​
If California can make a law that prohibits LE from refusing to take a MP report, CA should also require that LE enter all open MP reports in the MP system.

This is the only female in Charley Project listed as missing from Salinas. Her middle name is Maria, but she might be a little too old to be Pogonip Jane Doe. She also has a child, which would be inconsistent to PJD.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/q/quair_isabel.html

The thing that gets my goat in this article is the following:

"They are also working with the FBI to comb through old reports of kidnapped children, which are not entered into the missing persons system."​
If California can make a law that prohibits LE from refusing to take a MP report, CA should also require that LE enter all open MP reports in the MP system.

Makes good sense to me by golly! I know that the state of CA is apparently broke, but I'm sure there'd be a number of volunteers out there (especially those with missing family or friends) who could volunteer a few hours to input these people! Ticks one off, eh?

I came across this little gal last week also, but discounted her because of the age factor. I also spent a lot of time looking for anyone out in cyberspace looking for "my sister", particularly from the Salinas/Los Gatos/San Jose area and came up empty, since the one article said the brother was turned away because of age. I guess we'll have to try the name "smith" now. ?

Distance should not really be a consideration for ruling someone in or out-UIDS have been found in other areas of the country from where they went missing many times. This girl was found in an area frequented by homeless, and homeless can migrate throughout the country. IMO

What caught your notice about this girl that makes you think that she is a possible match?

She is from Florida, and the UID was found in California. She was reported missing a year and a half before the estimated date of death of the UID, and her height is outside of the range.

While none of these individually would eliminate her if there was some compelling reason to believe she was a match, I would say that there are too many inconsistencies.

Distance should not really be a consideration for ruling someone in or out-UIDS have been found in other areas of the country from where they went missing many times. This girl was found in an area frequented by homeless, and homeless can migrate throughout the country. IMO

You're right - point well taken. There are situations where I do eliminate based on distance. For example, if there is the MP's blood on the scene of the MP's disappearance, and there is a perp who continues to be accounted for, I would not expect that the body would be found 3000 miles away.

But there was nothing like that in Melissa Eck's case, so I should not have implied that this was a good basis for ruling her out. Her circumstances suggest the possibility of foul-play, but she certainly could have been a runaway, or kidnapped by a drifter and kept alive while he traveled across the country.

I remember the case of serial killer Christopher Wilder, who kidnapped a girl from Redondo Beach CA, and took her with him across the country keeping her alive while continuing to kill other women. He finally released her in Boston, and soon afterward, shot himself while struggling with a New Hampshire police officer. (By the way, many of Wilder's presumed victims are still listed in Charley Project as missing)

i found a few articles about bethany, tanya and jessica and their friends post on angelfire, but nothing else. I mean, nothing! Like no indication they were ever found.

i have sent poster from angelfire a message, so hopefully she will respond with more info.

the interesting thing is these girls were from santa barbara, there were indications of a fight having to do with a boyfriend. and all three girls seemed to have unstable home lives.

the timing is good, the descriptions are close...

i have been scouring missing persons sites (including tahoe le) for more info, but nothing pops up.

any recommendations?

that is weird! I can't find anything either, not obits, not ss#'s nothin! Looks like the guy who wrote the story was writing for the Santa Barbara News-Press (or at least he worked there), but their archives only go back to 96. Wow, it's almost like these gals dropped off the face of the earth.

This case was brought to my attention by a friend in CA that helps the homeless. I have found no mention on this case anywhere on this site, unless I just missed it. There isn't much on this case but if anyone can move it forward, it is the members on this site!!

Attempts to identify 'Pogonip Jane' move forward

Attempts to identify 'Pogonip Jane' move forward
By Jennifer Squires • Santa Cruz Sentinel • February 5, 2010

SANTA CRUZ - (MCT) Investigators working the 16-year-old case of an unidentified homicide victim known as "Pogonip Jane" are making progress on three fronts, one of them in Salinas.

Hikers found the remains of the girl, believed to be about 14 years old when she was beaten to death, near a shallow grave in a Santa Cruz park in January 1994.

The investigation went nowhere for years, but scientific advances that have allowed detectives to better estimate the girl's age have generated renewed interest in the case.

Now, the FBI is "helping us winnow down a lot of kidnapped women" to try to match Pogonip Jane to one of them, according to Christopher Smith, a volunteer in the Coroner's Unit at the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office.

The DoeNetwork cae 716UFCA.

Because links disappear,from
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14172063?nclick_check=1

20100112_102619_pogonip_VIEWER.jpg

Have also saved to my pc

Thanks Lady Stardust, I figured I was just missing the case on this site. LE is doing some more testing that will hopefully generate some new leads. Melissa Ann Espinoza has been ruled out by LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back