CA - Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether the lawyer is the most upstanding citizen, she presumably has access to info we don't. RN is dead but 13 year old little sister was in the house. The sister should know who else was in the house and if there is any reason the child could have been planking.

This is what she spray painted;

She saved him. Can he save her? :waitasec:

Thank you for that.

Does that sound like a suicide note?

I just can't wrap my head around this being a suicide.

I think this will be one of those cases where we will probably never know for sure, anything is possible but for me I can't buy that this was a suicide.
A sad reality is that money talks, and I wonder if it was talking in this case.

Does anyone find this interesting? Just curious why they automatically refer to her as "divorced". Also the "death due to: due to" ..

Date/Time of Death: 7/13/2011 6:48:00 AM Date/Time injury: 07/--/2011 Unk
Summary: The decedent was a 32 year old divorced Asian female who resided in a home in Coronado with her boyfriend. On 07/13/11, her body was discovered hanging in a courtyard of her home. Due to suspicious circumstances a homicide investigation was initiated.
Cause of Death/Updated Cause of Death: Hanging due to: due to:

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/me/press/press.html

It also states Max's death was due to cervical spinal cord contusion.

MS:
Date/Time injury: 07/11/2011 1010
Date/Time of Death: 7/16/2011 11:30:00 AM
Summary: The decedent was a six year old child. On 07/11/11, he reportedly fell from a staircase banister and was transported via ambulance to Rady Children's Hospital with head trauma. His condition did not improve and on 07/16/11, brain death was pronounced.

So, RN commits suicide early Wed am, and MS not pronounced brain dead till Saturday?

Another thing I find peculiar-supposedly she gets a message that went to voice mail that supposedly informed her of Max's condition not going to improve. The message is deleted. Why was she not picking up the phone (since message went to voice mail)? With the child in the hospital she would have wanted to pick up the phone if somebody with knowledge of the child's condition was calling. And why can't police retrieve the message? I don't doubt her family would be interested in hearing what was in it.

How many people actually die falling down the steps? I saw a Forensics Files or something similar where a cop stated that almost nobody dies from falling down the steps. It's a Hollywood myth.

STeely-Max didn't fall down the stairs in a the "Hollywood" fashion. He went over the bannister rail where it starts to descend from the upper level,hit the lower bannister on his way down and landed on the flooring below the stairwell. I'd have to look-but I don't think he actually hit a single step-he really launched off the 2nd floor landing-according to LE.

Transparency should be key in this case. A suicide ruling seems to mean they do not have to discuss all findings or lack of them. I am under the impression they are not willing to do that even with the family. In fact, it was mentioned that even the search warrants, I believe will not be obtainable without a court order.

Troublesome:

There was basically nothing much that came out for weeks on end. We hear a very well planned presentation, then the doors slam shut. If we start from some begining since the two cases are connected per LE. We cannot even be told of any background on who was there that morning. Why not? What the heck does it matter if this is all on the up and up. The wording even about that was carefully chosen based on 'when the ambulance arrived' and so on as. In the presser, they kept saying things like 'we are not going to talk about that' or release that or whatever out of respect for the families. This was just plain cagey and had nothing to do with respecting the Zahau family. They bothered to mention some mysterious journal entry on her phone that they claim is undated as evidence she commited suicide and an anonymous friend who only relayed something that happened months ago, not all the counter evidence. They rely solely on someone's account of what happened as the truth when in fact that person could have had ulterior motivations. They keep referring to Rebecca as Shacknai girlfriend instead of his partner. Jonah has just one sentence about Rebecca after the press conference (written) and he makes it sound like she was just someone he knew for a short while. At least he said something positive about her.

We were supplied little context and details for what went on other than so and so was in the bathroom when the accident happened, here's how we think it happened, Rebecca calling the dog guy, two phone calls (one of which they claim led to her suicide and they wouldn't even reveal at the presser who made it), a vaugue message on the dor (again, they wouldn't reveal it - why not, it's hardly a suicide note and they even said as much), and saying Rebecca shuttled others back and forth.

Did anyone threaten Rebecca? What other calls did she get?

What calls were made by the other players?

Where were her clothes?

Who else visited the hospital?

Why on earth wouldn't they just come out and mention she was gagged and if that's how she was found when LE arrived?

Of course, I have many more questions ... too many. It's all just too hinky

The same thing bothers me with both the little boy, Max, and the gf, Rebecca. Didn't both of them have to go up before they could go down.

Max was 45 inches tall. Rebecca as 5'3" tall. None of the info I've seen has the height measurements on the "railings." Most railings are at least 42 inches. I just do not see how Max could "fall" over the railing. He had to climb up to fall over.

With Rebecca, it makes less sense. They claim she rolled over the railing. However, the "photos" show her footprints at least 9 inches away from the railing. If she leaned over, the railing would hit even higher on her body. She could not use her hands to pull her over. She did not run up to the railing. The only "weight" to pull her over would be her head. Because with her hands bound behind her back, her upper body weight would shift backwards. Her hands needed to be over the railing for the weight to shift forward. She could not bend over at the waist to get her head lower than the railing.

How did she get the height and distance needed at her height, from a standing position, to get herself over the railing?

How tall is the person depicted in LE stimulation of how Max supposedly fell?
Is that stimulation even to scale of a six year old vs. the railing?

How tall is the person depicted in LE stimulation of how Max supposedly fell?
Is that stimulation even to scale of a six year old vs. the railing?

Being around Rebbecca's height. I can tell you that would not be easy especially when tied up. The figure they used was of an adult male not a six year old. i think LE took a lot of time to try to explain away very suspicious "accidents" and a suicide. Just not buying it.
Two very bizarre freak accidents in the matter of days.

Regarding Max's fall over the rail. I thought he didn't fall over the full height rail-but rather at the point where the stair descends and the bannister meets the upstairs landing was the location. That would be a much lower rail because he had the height of the second floor landing-but the rail was in position for the stairs.

IOW the rail he went over was not a guard for the landing-but a guard for the stairs which would make the standard height of it inconsequential as that height is measured from the steps but he launched from the landing-which is much higher.

That probably makes no sense so I will find a picture.

This is the best picture on page 8.
You can see that the area he went over the rail as it relates to the second floor landing is extremely low because it is not in place for the landing. It is in place for the steps.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/ms.pdf

I am not sure I understand how he would have gotten over the "low" area of the railing. Wouldn't one actually have to get onto the stairs and then go sidewise rather than running straight forward as the stimulation shows? To me the stimulation looks like a figure that does not appear to be to scale running and going over where the railing is not low.

I don't see how a woman (even a guilt-ridden one) would commit suicide following such a tragedy. If she truly cared for Mr. Shacknai, wouldn't she want to be there for him in his greatest time of need? Help him through it and then deal with her feelings. Instead she supposedly compounded his grief and stress by ending her life in such a bizarre way. (Not that suicide is usually logical) Why would she add such misery to someone she loved, who needed her, if she never had a history of mental illness?

The entire thing from beginning to end makes NO sense, every detail is hinky and unexplained and I'm not buying that she did this to herself.

I am not sure I understand how he would have gotten over the "low" area of the railing. Wouldn't one actually have to get onto the stairs and then go sidewise rather than running straight forward as the stimulation shows? To me the stimulation looks like a figure that does not appear to be to scale running and going over where the railing is not low.
In the pictures I am looking at he is going over the low area-low as it relates to where he started on the landing and the rail height on the steps..
If he was going pretty fast-I can totally see this as a freak accident.

In the pictures I am looking at he is going over the low area-low as it relates to where he started on the landing and the rail height on the steps..
If he was going pretty fast-I can totally see this as a freak accident.

If by low area you mean where the railing deeps, how does one get to it by running? The area that deeps is where the stairs go down (parallel to the stairs). How can one get to it by running as the stimulation depicts? He would have gone over the corner first where the railing is of normal height. Do they think he was somehow running sidewise on the stairs?

If by low area you mean where the railing deeps, how does one get to it by running? The area that deeps is where the stairs go down (parallel to the stairs). How can one get to it by running as the stimulation depicts? He would have gone over the corner first where the railing is of normal height.
I disagree. he would access the low area right at the corner on the step immedately before the landing.
If he lost his footing or whatever at the top step and feel into the rail on the 2nd step it is far too low to protect him.

ETA: probably the best way for me to say this is it appears to me that he fell over the rail at the last step before the landing-from the height of the landing.

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 38
I disagree. he would access the low area right at the corner on the step immedately before the landing.
If he lost his footing or whatever at the top step and feel into the rail on the 2nd step it is far too low to protect him.

ETA: probably the best way for me to say this is it appears to me that he fell over the rail at the last step before the landing-from the height of the landing.

I don't doubt that his death was a tragic accident. What I doubt is how exactly it took place. The stimulation and the figure do not appear to be in scale of the actual height of the 6 year old vs. the railing. The shape of the railing in the stimulation also does not appear to be a good match for the curve in the railing of the actual staircase. To go over the railing at the low place he would have gone sidewise or across and I am not sure how much room that leaves for running prior to the fall.

After reading this article, I bet case will be re-opened and investigated. (written by British press -Where is the US press on this case?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-tape-residue-legs-t-shirt-stuffed-mouth.html

The revelations convinced renowned forensic pathologist Doctor Cyril Wecht, who in the 1970s was the lone dissenting voice on a panel investigating the assassination of JFK, to question the suicide verdict and call for a second autopsy.While Dr Wecht stopped short of saying it was murder, he is not content to rule it a suicide. He thinks the report needs a lot more scrutiny
'When you put all of this together, it just is bothersome' Dr Wecht told KFMB-AM. 'The manner of death I would have left as undetermined.'
On the t-shirt, which was removed from her mouth by Mr Shacknai's brother Adam when he cut her down, Dr Wecht told KFMB-AM: 'What does she care for that? "Gee, I don't want to wake anybody up who may come to rescue me." 'I don't know. I'm just trying to think. She didn't want to be rescued and didn't want to scream so she put it in her mouth? It's absurd.' Max was revealed to have broken his spinal chord in his fall, and was not breathing and had no pulse when he was found.

Regarding the tape residue, Dr Wecht speculated Ms Zahau could have planned to to bind her feet with duct tape and then switched to rope. But he added to KFMB-AM: 'Well then, where's the duct tape?'

He also questioned why her feet were bound. 'Did she want to make it seem like it was a murder and incriminate him? That's something to think about.'

And Dr Wecht was concerned by haemorrhages found under her scalp surface, saying it was evidence of blunt force trauma. 'For someone to say there isn't any kind of struggle is not correct,' he told KFMB-AM."

MS:
Date/Time injury: 07/11/2011 1010
Date/Time of Death: 7/16/2011 11:30:00 AM
Summary: The decedent was a six year old child. On 07/11/11, he reportedly fell from a staircase banister and was transported via ambulance to Rady Children's Hospital with head trauma. His condition did not improve and on 07/16/11, brain death was pronounced.

So, RN commits suicide early Wed am, and MS not pronounced brain dead till Saturday?

From what I remember when my sister-in-law died (massive head wounds from an auto accident; she was in the ICU for nearly a month), being pronounced brain-dead is a process--legally, there has to be something like "no sign of electrical activity in the brain for a continuous 24 hours" or something like that. I don't remember the specifics, or if it varies legally from state to state, but to pronounce someone legally brain dead is a process over a period of time (more than just a few hours). Additionally, since my SIL's organs were donated, her body was kept alive past the point of brain death so that her organs could be harvested.

So I could see there being a time lag between the point at which someone is accepted as "dead" by the family, and the point at which death of the body is officially pronounced, particularly in an organ donor situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname