Identified! CA - Riverside Co., Wht/HispFem 146UFCA, 30-45, distinctive jewelry, Jan'96 - Juana Rosas-Zagal

Mmmmm what about

Attachments

• 29022F03-2047-4369-94DA-AC81F17E018E.jpeg
    29022F03-2047-4369-94DA-AC81F17E018E.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
Interesting that all her jewelry was left on...so clearly not robbery-related. Also maybe indicates someone who was in a big hurry and/or not very used to committing this type of crime, since obviously leaving all the jewelry means leaving more clues to who she is.
The ring on her left ring finger (gold band with clear stone) looks like an engagement ring to me. So maybe she's engaged, unless she also had a wedding band that was lost / removed.

Four more rule outs have been added to this UID's NamUs page –

Riverside County, CA also has a page for this UID that has her dental chart and fingerprints -- :: Sheriff-Coroner :: Riverside County, California

Maria Sanchez, who went missing from San Diego on March 31, 1993, appears to be consistent as far as location, height, weight, age, and coloring, but her photo isn't very clear and her NamUs entry didn't include if she has any scars.

Missing Person Case

I agree that Maria looks like a good fit and she's not listed as a ruleout, did you submit?

The body was found on Jan. 27, 1996, around trash piled near Highway 60 about a mile and a half east of Gilman Springs Road.

Homicide investigators who responded to the scene 26 years ago believe the victim was murdered hours earlier at the same location.
5efb79c8-7306-4c68-9005-1eed0a36fa8c-Beaumont_Cold_Case_Victim_Sketch.JPG

4dea8fc7-512f-466c-bbbe-e46d07012598-Jewelry_-_1.jpg

Cold case investigators ask that anyone who may have information regarding the identity of the woman call (951) 955-2777 or use the Riverside County Sheriff's Department website homicide tip form: www.riversidesheriff.org/528/Contact-Us.

The Regional Cold Case Homicide Team is comprised of members of the district attorney's office, the sheriff-coroner department, the FBI and the Riverside Police Department. The Riverside County Board of Supervisors on Jan. 25 authorized District Attorney Mike Hestrin to accept a $535,000 federal grant intended to aid in solving or prosecuting cold case violent crimes relying on forensic evidence.

Riverside County investigators seek public's help to ID cold case victim

During a 1996 autopsy, a forensic pathologist found the body had a surgical scar believed to be from a cesarian.

"Cold Case Team investigators believe the victim may have at least one child who may still be seeking answers about their mother," the DA's office posted in a news release.

Investigators describe the victim as Latina, possibly 30-45 years old, about 5-feet-1-inch tall, weighing about 130 pounds.

"A forensic dental examination done in 1996 showed her teeth had been well maintained and she received quality dental care. Her clothing was clean and had been well maintained," the DA's office reported.
Cold Case Mystery In RivCo: Video Released, Public's Help Sought

Last edited:

#1996-96R0527​

Unidentified Victim Details​

Unidentified ID:96-006
Sex / Race:Female / Caucasian
Date Died or Found:January 27, 1996
Place Found / Died:Found off the SR 60 freeway near Gilman Springs, Beaumont, CA
Estimated Age:30 to 45 years
Hair / Eyes:Brown and brown
Hair Length:Medium, above collar, well groomed
Height / Weight:5'1" and 130 lbs.
NCIC:DO06110606DITTTTTT05
Refer NCIC:DOTT110606DITTTTTT05
Location of Incident:Unknown where death occurred.
Features or Distinguishing Marks:Pierced ears, surgical scar on right abdomen; small scar on back of neck; small scar on left side of chin. She wore a wristwatch with a flower shaped cover and multiple clear stones.
Circumstances:She was found lying on the freeway embankment, with injury to her head. Believed to have been killed less then 24 hours prior to her being found.
Other:Unidentified Number 96-006
1996_0527 Sketch

1996_0527 Sketch 2

1996_0527 Jewelry

1996_0527 Jewelry 2

1996_0527 Dental Records

1657115064311.jpeg
1657115089806.jpeg

Case File 146UFCA

146UFCA

146UFCA.jpg
146UFCA1.jpg

Reconstructions of Victim

Unidentified White/Hispanic Female
  • Located on January 27, 1996 in Gilman Springs, Beaumont, Riverside County, California.
  • Unknown where death occurred
  • She is believed to have been killed less then 24 hours prior to being found

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 30 - 45 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1"; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium length brown hair; brown eyes. She had pierced ears, a surgical scar on right side of abdomen; a small scar on back of neck; and a small scar on left side of the chin. She was well groomed. She had stretch marks on the woman show that she gave birth, probably more than once, manicured and polished nails, well-groomed hair that lacked split ends showed she had her hair done shortly before she was killed.
  • Clothing: Blue >jeans, clean Keds tennis shoes, a purple sweater >and a tweed sport coat. No purse.
  • Jewelry: She wore a wristwatch with a flower shaped cover and multiple clear stones, a gold wedding band, a religious pendant with the words "Jesus" and "Mary"
  • Fingerprints : Avaliable showed she had never been arrested.
  • Dentals: Dental charts available. She had amalgam fillings.
146UFCA2.jpg
146UFCA3.jpg

Rings and Wristwatch

Case History
The victim was found lying on the embankment off the SR 60 freeway, with injury to her head. She was found by a motorist who pulled off the highway for a break.
She was well-dressed. Investigators deduce she was middle class.
Flyers with a sketch were distributed to police departments in the desert, Pass areas, Hispanic communities, Indian reservations and Mexican consulate in San Bernardino and was able to get newspapers in Mexico City to publish pictures of the dead woman.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Riverside County Sheriff's Department
909-443-2300
Agency Case Number: 96R0527 NCIC Number: U-925357895

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

vs.

theyaremissed.org

Name:Rosario Acosta Zazueta
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult Date of Birth:1962-05-28 Date Missing:1995-12-22 From City/State:Phoenix, AZ Missing From (Country):USA Age at Time of Disappearance:33 Gender:Female Race:Hispanic Height:60 inches Weight:110 pounds Hair Color:Brown Hair (Other):Curly. Eye Color:Brown Complexion:Medium Clothing:Long sleeve pink and white striped pajama top and bottoms. Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Rosario was last seen at her residence in the vicinity of the 4000 block of W. Thomas Rd. in Phoenix, AZ. Investigative Agency:Phoenix Police Department Phone:(602) 261-8042 Investigative Case #:0000-52158625 NCIC #:M-371877587

I called this in, what do yall think?
No that was not my mom

A woman found dead along Highway 60 in 1996 has been identified some 27 years later as the case was feared to have gone cold. The body of Juana Rosas-Zagal, 41, of the Los Angeles area, was found on Jan. 27, 1996, in the Badlands area east of Gilman Springs Road between Moreno Valley and Beaumont. She was found near trash piled by the road, investigators said.
1687809993296.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-26 at 4.07.25 PM.png

A woman found dead along Highway 60 in 1996 has been identified some 27 years later as the case was feared to have gone cold. The body of Juana Rosas-Zagal, 41, of the Los Angeles area, was found on Jan. 27, 1996, in the Badlands area east of Gilman Springs Road between Moreno Valley and Beaumont. She was found near trash piled by the road, investigators said.
View attachment 431232View attachment 431233

I’m really glad Juana has been identified after such a long time. It is a terrible tragedy that Juana was murdered and her four daughters have lost their Mother. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for them to not know what had happened to their Mum all these years and then be told that she was found murdered 27 years ago. I really hope law enforcement make a breakthrough in finding Juana’s killer.

Were there any other women murdered or attacked in the area in the years prior or after Juana was killed? I’m wondering if Juana’s killer was someone she knew or if she was attacked at random by someone she didn’t know. Is there any information from law enforcement about the last location she was seen alive?

ByRob McMillan
Friday, June 30, 2023 rbbm.
''Armed with that information, investigators reached out to family members and got a break: family members said their mother, Juana Rosas-Zagal of Los Angeles, went missing some time before the body was discovered.

Now, by publicizing her name, Hestrin hopes that people who may have known her back in the mid-nineties will come forward with information that helps them solve the case.

"She was (in her) early 40's; she was a resident of Los Angeles. We do know that she worked as a seamstress, perhaps in the garment district of Los Angeles.
But beyond that we don't have much information," he said.

Hestrin said it's possible that someone Rosas-Zagal was dating at the time might have information on her disappearance.

"Maybe someone that she was dating has information. Maybe someone has information about who she was dating. We want to question that person," he said.''

I’m really glad Juana has been identified after such a long time. It is a terrible tragedy that Juana was murdered and her four daughters have lost their Mother. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for them to not know what had happened to their Mum all these years and then be told that she was found murdered 27 years ago. I really hope law enforcement make a breakthrough in finding Juana’s killer.

Were there any other women murdered or attacked in the area in the years prior or after Juana was killed? I’m wondering if Juana’s killer was someone she knew or if she was attacked at random by someone she didn’t know. Is there any information from law enforcement about the last location she was seen alive?
i feel it was personal the way her face was beaten. on fb i suggested it was likely her partner and got dog piled by like 3 ppl, i asked them if they knew her partner or something. because JFC.

i feel it was personal the way her face was beaten. on fb i suggested it was likely her partner and got dog piled by like 3 ppl, i asked them if they knew her partner or something. because JFC.
I agree. While some unrelated random killers out of hatred for women beat their victims faces, it is a more common scenario for domestic violence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back