CA - Seven killed, 3 injured in Oikos University shooting, Oakland, 2 April 2012

Of course we have to talk about guns when we hear about these things. The fact is, there are more guns per capita in Canada and they don't have the same ratio of gun violence that we do. So I can't say that guns are the main issue in these cases.

It would be very, very difficult to ban guns in our country. We have a national mythology that involves gun ownership. It's a part of our culture. And in this day and age, banning them would not prevent them from being obtained.

Yes, I think mentally ill people and criminals should be barred from gun ownership but many of these mass shooters have no criminal history or diagnosed mental problem before the murders.

Nuts with a vendetta are hard to stop. Sure, guns make it easier to achieve their goal (and it bothers me that we glorify guns so much in our culture) but McVeigh killed 168 people without a gun. They would likely find a way, with a gun or not, regardless if we had a ban.

What I don't want to hear, though, is that he would have been stopped if everyone was armed. In such an event, there would likely be more deaths due to crossfire.

I dont think we glorify guns but they are a part of our heritage and also part of our constitution.

No one knows if he could have been stopped if someone there had a weapon. We certainly have seen and read about other cases where crimes were stopped when a legal gunowner had a weapon and an opportunity to use it to stop the perpretrator.

But you are right...banning weapons is certainly not the answer. If that were the case then only the criminals would have guns because criminals do not abide by laws and would get illegal firearms. And illegal firearms are used much more often than those who use an legally obtained gun.

imo

Seven people died and three others were wounded in a shooting at a small California religious college Monday, Oakland police said.

An Asian male in his 40s was detained as a suspect, but he has not yet been charged in the shooting, according to police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/02/us/california-shooting/

Former student arrested in California college shooting that killed 7

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/02/us/california-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- Police have arrested a 43-year-old former student at a small religious college in Oakland, California, in the Monday shooting spree that left seven people dead and three wounded, the city's police chief said.

The motive behind the killings at Oikos University in East Oakland remained a mystery Monday night, Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters. Detectives had not yet questioned the suspect, and no charges had been filed, he said.

"With a case of this magnitude, with all the victims and witnesses and all the chaos, it's going to take a few days to put the pieces together," Jordan said.

More at link....

Sending prayers for strength and peace for the families who lost loved ones in this seemingly senseless tragedy. Are school shootings on the rise now or do we hear about them because of media immersion? I don't know.. but sometimes it makes me want to lock me and my family up in our home. I never would of course, I just fear for our young children/people these days.

He was looking for a female administrator who turned out not to be there. The shootings took place in several locations within the school. In one location, he lined up his victims then shot them execution-style. He went back in the building shooting into a classroom when he realized there were still people there.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...lined-victims-started-shooting-134807247.html

Cold-blooded monster. It will take at least 30 years to execute him, however. After all, this is California.

Police Chief: Disgruntled student planned school massacre

7:37 a.m. Tuesday, April 3, 2012

KTVU And Wires

OAKLAND, Calif. —

A disgruntled ex-student strolled the halls of a small private university – “systematically and randomly shooting victims” -- in a “premeditated” killing spree fueled by anger over his expulsion from the school and the way he was treated by fellow students, the Oakland police chief said Tuesday.

One L. Goh, 43, was in custody Tuesday morning in the wake of a shooting at Oikos University, a small Christian university located near Oakland International Airport, that had left seven people dead and three wounded.

In a pre-dawn press conference, police chief Howard Jordan said Goh was upset with administers at the school and the way some students treated him. At least one witness told KTVU on Monday that Goh had been bullied by students.

more...

Many of the articles are saying he was expelled, but I am not seeing why he was expelled from the school.

The fact that Ms. Ping discussed Goh with her brother (in the wsj article) and told him that Goh quit, really makes me wonder. Why would she be discussing a student with her brother unless there was something that stood out? If he had quit over financial reasons etc. would she mention it to her bro? But if there was say an 'altercation' of course she might talk about that at home.

Nursing director thinks she was target of shooter

The nursing director at a California college where seven people were killed said Wednesday she believes the gunman was targeting her over a financial dispute, but she was teaching elsewhere when he opened fire on others at the campus.

snip....Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan previously said Goh was angry after being expelled from the school, but Cervellon said he was never expelled and decided to leave on his own.

"He was never forced out, he showed no behavioral problems, and he was never asked to leave the program," she said. "He decided on his own to leave the program."

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2012/04/04/ap/headlines/us_religious_school_shooting.txt

But later in the article others dispute that there were previous issues.

Search comes up empty for reported gun in trash can near Oikos University
http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_203...ator-was-true-target-oikos?source=most_viewed

Earlier Thursday, authorities said that a former administrator was the intended target of Oikos University gunman One L. Goh, not the school's nursing director who had said she believed she was the person sought in his killing spree this week.

Cervellon said Goh dropped out of the nursing program at the tiny private school around November but returned numerous times to ask her for a full tuition refund.

Goh got angry when she told him the school could not refund all his money because he had been enrolled for nearly half of the program, she said.

Sounds like he has financial issues.

"She said everyone was Asian, why would they tease him about his accent? And she said she never witnessed any teasing," Music told a small group of reporters Wednesday afternoon on the doorstep of Cervellon's grey gray-and-blue bungalow, along busy on Grand Avenue.

One L. Goh reminds me of Jiverly Wong, who attacked American Civic Association immigration center in Binghampton, New York in 2009. They share a lot in common. They were immigrants consumed by paranoia and felt ridiculed.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_shootings"]Binghamton shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

10:06 a.m. Friday, April 6, 2012
Alleged university gunman's weapon found in swampy Oakland canal
KTVU

OAKLAND, Calif. —

"A gun bought by a disgruntled student who allegedly killed seven people and wounded three others at a small private university, was found overnight in the low tide waters in a canal near the shooting scene, Oakland police confirmed Friday.

Oakland police spokeswoman Cynthia Perkins said that a weapon found early Friday matches the serial number of a gun purchased by One Goh, who was recently charged in the fatal shooting of seven people at Oikos University on Monday."

More:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/weapon-discovered-swampy-oakland-canal/nMLQ4/

One Goh, Oakland School Shooting Suspect, May Have Had Multiple Targets: Police

Police said Thursday they were investigating the possibility that a gunman who killed seven people at a tiny private Christian college had multiple targets that he intended to kill in his rampage.

snip....Dechen Yangdon, 27, also waited nervously before two investigators took her inside. She is being hailed as a hero for intuitively locking her classroom door and turning off the lights after hearing gunshots. The shooter tried kicking in the door and then fired at it. No students were injured.

As investigators slowly walked Yangdon back inside the school Thursday, they shook her hand and praised her.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/one-goh-oakland-school-shooting_n_1407268.html

ROFL He changed his name in 2002. He said his reason for changing his name was because it sounded like a girl's name. His previous name was Su Nam Ko.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back