Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learn something new every day! I was going to gently disagree with someone on the last thread who said SP had "minor" injuries. Even though they were called "non life threatening" rather than "minor" by the sheriff and didn't require a hospital stay, they sounded more than "minor" to me when KP described them. However, I like to use words precisely, so it was time to research.

After curiously googling for a definition, I'm here to say that by medical definition they were minor! I say that, not to minimize what she went through at all, but because my initial reaction to the term "minor" was that it did minimize her injuries. But technically it doesn't. Even some fractures are considered minor compared to a major injury that could be life threatening or cause permanent disability. Bruises and burns are considered minor if they are not life threatening. So even though SP looked (and felt) horrible, technically her injuries were minor (personally, I would say moderate, but it seems that would be wrong.)

It was interesting that all the sources for this information on Wikipedia were from the U.K. and Canada. No doubt their system requires a more precise definition than ours. But it seemed reasonable to me. Maybe a U.S. nurse will weigh in to set me straight...or not. :)
Thanks Lilibet. That's certainly very interesting, and gives the ol' sheriff credibility where I may have previously had a bit of doubt.

I'm a little confused and hoping someone can clarify. I thought we couldn't sleuth anyone unless they've been named an official POl or suspect by LE. We are definitely sleuthing CG. Or does this rule only apply to family members?

A decision was made to allow sleuthing of CG's credentials because he became a public figure when he purposely insinuated himself into this case.

Agree. Bottom line is if CG had anything to do with Sherri being abducted and brutalized....he'd be in jail. IMO he tried to help someone who disappeared from his community.

Hesurewould

as soon as the police finished their investigation and brought charges. Police don't just swoop in when they suspect someone. They take time to gather evidence, interview the person as many times as they need, and to build a solid case.

Remember, this man already lied about his business having 501(c)(3) status; his collecting money for it, therefore, was illegal.

As I said, his credibility is in question, in my opinion, and I'm sure to LE, too.

Now where is the help to Stacey Smart? I haven't seen any videos pleading for HER return. Nothing even on his facebook page. Not even a link to a news story. Nothing.

I thought LE's statement about the video surveillance to be strangely worded. In his news conference Bosenko said:

Detectives showed Sherri surveillance video which was recovered on Nov. 2 of several SUV style vehicles that had been seen in the area at the time of her abduction. According to Sherri, none of the vehicles shown to her in the video were a match.

If SP can tell LE that the vehicles aren't a match then that begs the question, why weren't they a match? Wrong color, wrong shape, wrong size, wrong make/model? If she can definitively say the vehicles were not a match then she has to have more info then just "dark SUV". If she can't ID the vehicle because her memory is bad or she didn't see the vehicle that took her very well then any statements about vehicles being a match or not a match aren't really relevant so why share that fact in the press conference?

A decision was made to allow sleuthing of CG's credentials because he became a public figure when he purposely insinuated himself into this case.
Where is the evidence that he "purposely insinuated himself" into the case? LJ, who would know if anyone would, provided a detailed, blow-by-blow account of how things developed with the AD. CG was not involved until the AD told LJ he needed a spokesperson. If CG was already involved, then the AD would not have asked. I get that LE didn't approve. But I also understand that nothing happened without Keith's approval.

Yes; sadly, good people can often be victimized by opportunists in times of crisis.

My gut instinct says something is way off. CG already lied about several things; his credibility is nil in my eyes.
Nearly every major crisis seems to be quickly followed by a t-shirt selling street vendor, or some other sideshow circus act. Maybe CG is just one of those type of opportunists who crawled out of the woodwork when a sensationalistic story hit near his town. Opportunist certainly seems to fit the bill, but I doubt he's behind the abduction.

Agree. Bottom line is if CG had anything to do with Sherri being abducted and brutalized....he'd be in jail. IMO he tried to help someone who disappeared from his community.
The more we learn, the more this seems to be true. Tough lesson, I guess, for anyone who might try to help in the future.

Nearly every major crisis seems to be quickly followed by a t-shirt selling street vendor, or some other sideshow circus act. Maybe CG is just one of those type of opportunists who crawled out of the woodwork when a sensationalistic story hit near his town. Opportunist certainly seems to fit the bill, but I doubt he's behind the abduction.
I doubt it, too. Had he set it up, he certainly would've made sure a ransom was demanded and negotiation took place so he could show off his ransom negotiation skills. As it is, the only thing he can claim is that the publicity that resulted might've contributed to a good outcome.

Where is the evidence that he "purposely insinuated himself" into the case? LJ, who would know if anyone would, provided a detailed, blow-by-blow account of how things developed with the AD. CG was not involved until the AD told LJ he needed a spokesperson. If CG was already involved, then the AD would not have asked. I get that LE didn't approve. But I also understand that nothing happened without Keith's approval.

The evidence of him insinuating himself into this case is everywhere -from the original youtube video to the website to the media interviews to the final youtube video.

And whatever he's publicly done since her return.

Yes; sadly, good people can often be victimized by opportunists in times of crisis.

My gut instinct says something is way off. CG already lied about several things; his credibility is nil in my eyes.

I think CG might have taken advantage of the situation while being taken advantage of.

And same.

Hesurewould

as soon as the police finished their investigation and brought charges. Police don't just swoop in when they suspect someone. They take time to gather evidence, interview the person as many times as they need, and to build a solid case.

Remember, this man already lied about his business having 501(c)(3) status; his collecting money for it, therefore, was illegal.

As I said, his credibility is in question, in my opinion, and I'm sure to LE, too.

Now where is the help to Stacey Smart? I haven't seen any videos pleading for HER return. Nothing even on his facebook page. Not even a link to a news story. Nothing.

I think LE, already being skeptical and not happy about his involvement, has investigated the hell out of him. JMO. If he was involved he'd be arrested. They have known of him since two weeks before SP release and she has now been home for over two weeks.
Maybe the IRS will arrest him but as of now it appears he is not a POI in Sherri's disappearance or her beatings.
JMO

why
not?
What makes him above suspicion, in your mind? IMO, he's got the motive (kickstarting his business), the opportunity (he lives and works in the same town as the victim), and the means (he claims to have had "training" in similar situations, AND he owns a bunch of shipping containers that are set up to simulate different types of hostage environments. Finally, he admits he was "out of town" during most of SP's ordeal. Out of town where, exactly? Doing what? You can bet the police have already asked and have been checking out his story.

The whole CG and AD thing made a strange case even stranger. But sinister? I just can't see it. God knows that "Taken" video was unfortunate and bizarre, but CG has left a long trail of trying to work in that particular field.

I would love to know identity of the AD, and I'm pretty sure I never will.

Recently, I saw show on TV that peaked my interests. The story line basically had a kidnapping for ransom. The purpose of the kidnapping was to exchange drug money (launder it) by paying it out as a ransom to a person connected with the operation. I'm wondering if SP was a victim by chance that could be used in a similar type of operation. This could explain why the donor was so anonymous? Just trying to bounce some outside of the box stuff here as it seems that's all that's left until more info is released.

Just thinking out load...

Could Sherri have "jogged" upon a drug deal in the making/exchange or these abductors trying to toss something out and she saw it all take place?

I think this is something that could happen but based on what KP has said I don't think it happened to SP.

And then there's the phone.

Here's a little tidbit I just came across.... not sure if this has already been posted....

Matt Gutman, the reporter who did the 20/20 interview, says on his twitter that Keith did, in fact, phone and text Sherri before looking for her using find-my-iPhone.

In responding to questions about it, he said the following:

Gutman: "he did text and call actually"

Gutman: "of course I asked. Some things don't make the cut. We found Keith's story to be very credible"

I have seen so many people (on other sites) say it's strange he didn't text or call before going straight to the find-my-iPhone, and conclude all sorts of ridiculous things from it, and it's all based on an invalid assumption. Just because he didn't say he called, doesn't mean he didn't.

Source:
[video=twitter;806809700654141440]https://twitter.com/mattgutmanABC/status/806809700654141440[/video]

I doubt it, too. Had he set it up, he certainly would've made sure a ransom was demanded and negotiation took place so he could show off his ransom negotiation skills. As it is, the only thing he can claim is that the publicity that resulted might've contributed to a good outcome.

But
he couldn't negotiate with people when his anonymous donor and his money didn't really exist, could he? the best he could do was pretend to take the offer off the table, turn it around into a "bounty", and claim that SP's kidnappers were so terrified of people looking for them (despite nobody knowing yet what they looked like, their gender, how many there were, etc.) that they let her go.

My concern is with the victim; it doesn't help the victim if we are reluctant to sleuth anyone who may have had the motive, means and opportunity to harm her. Imagine if LE were afraid to step on toes?! SP's safety and right to justice is of utmost importance, and that means leaving no stone unturned, no matter how uncomfortable it makes some people. And it doesn't break rules; he's not a family member, not a friend, never knew them before this, as far as we know.

I think LE, already being skeptical and not happy about his involvement, has investigated the hell out of him. JMO. If he was involved he'd be arrested. They have known of him since two weeks before SP release and she has now been home for over two weeks.
Maybe the IRS will arrest him but as of now it appears he is not a POI in Sherri's disappearance or her beatings.
JMO

It's
only in the movies that police investigations are wrapped up in a few days. In real life, it can take months. Getting warrants, for one thing, can take time, as can gathering DNA evidence, having it tested and getting it back from the lab.

He may have been cleared and he may not have been cleared. We cannot say he's not a POI b/c the police have not said so either way.

The whole CG and AD thing made a strange case even stranger. But sinister? I just can't see it. God knows that "Taken" video was unfortunate and bizarre, but CG has left a long trail of trying to work in that particular field.

I would love to know identity of the AD, and I'm pretty sure I never will.

If my family member went missing, and a guy who owns shipping containers decked out to simulate hostage situations from around the world for 'training purposes' suddenly contacted me and had a hare-brained scheme to offer a "reverse ransom" to kidnappers, without any proof that she WAS kidnapped and being held by someone, I wouldn't trust that person as far as I could throw him.

If my family member went missing, and a guy who owns shipping containers decked out to simulate hostage situations from around the world for 'training purposes' suddenly contacted me and had a hare-brained scheme to offer a "reverse ransom" to kidnappers, without any proof that she WAS kidnapped and being held by someone, I wouldn't trust that person as far as I could throw him.

True, but if you were desperate and already knew (somehow) that your family member was kidnapped and you had spoken with another family whose daughter went missing years ago in the same town and were told LE made some mistakes with that case, you might think differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500