GUILTY CA - Shirley McGill, 55, beaten & strangled on cruise ship, 14 July 2009

http://www.montereyherald.com/state/ci_12858901?nclick_check=1

Friends told the Daily News of Los Angeles that Robert McGill was divorced with two sons when he got back in touch with his high school girlfriend through the Internet. They married about five years ago.

Robert McGill is a schoolteacher who was planning to retire. His wife retired last week from the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

Thanks, Paintr for the pic! Now that I've seen him, I'm not sure what to think...
I've certainly known long-haired men with facial hair who were the sweetest souls on earth....and we've seen plenty of clean-men who have proven to be ruthless.

He's not really walking-the-walk of the dejected, though. While his head is slightly bent, his shoulders are not slumped -- they look thrown back, actually.

Guess we'll need to see his eyes.

Thanks, Paintr for the pic! Now that I've seen him, I'm not sure what to think...
I've certainly known long-haired men with facial hair who were the sweetest souls on earth....and we've seen plenty of clean-men who have proven to be ruthless.

He's not really walking-the-walk of the dejected, though. While his head is slightly bent, his shoulders are not slumped -- they look thrown back, actually.

Guess we'll need to see his eyes.

He was a school teacher. She retired. He was about to retire. So much for 'The Golden Years'. :{

Ooops....I meant to say we've seen plenty of "clean-shaven" men who've been ruthless. Sorry!

From the pics I saw of them together in the video, she looked happy, he didn't. Of course, maybe he just wanted to look "tough".

Wife swapping on the ship? The plot thickens....

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2009/07/17-20/National-Digest.html

The first hint of trouble aboard the Carnival Elation came three days into the luxury cruise to Mexico, when a passenger contacted the ship's security to express concerns that a woman might be dead.

Crew members went to Shirley McGill's cabin on Tuesday evening and found her body, but her husband, Robert McGill, was not in the room, said Keith Slotter, a special agent in charge of the FBI's San Diego bureau.

I wonder if the reporting passenger waited till everything quieted down and poked their head in the door of the McGill cabin. Do these doors lock automatically when someone leaves the cabin?

Well if it is true that they had children on-board that may explain how someone outside of the room had suspicions. Maybe the kids told them? I wonder how old the kids are.

Well if it is true that they had children on-board that may explain how someone outside of the room had suspicions. Maybe the kids told them? I wonder how old the kids are.

MissieMt,

In post #24, I attached a link to a video that only mentions 2 son's of the husband. Believe they are in their early 20's (IIRC). Not heard yet if the wife had children...so we don't know yet who's children they were.

http://www.10news.com/news/20075486/detail.html

Video on right side (scroll down to view)(Suspect, Victim Faced Financial Problems)

I swear, I'm getting to where I just hate the media. The man filed for bankruptcy TEN YEARS AGO. No mention is made of ANY recent financial problems that either the husband or wife were experiencing.

I guess this very old non-story was reported to encourage bias against the accused. I KNOW the mention of married men wanting to swap wives had that intent, even though the reporter hurriedly mentioned that no one even suggested that THIS married man was one of the involved. It's salacious, so just throw it out there.

This is the kind of "news" I would expect from a show like Nancy Grace's and it is disappointing to see a regular news program stoop so low. That reporter ought to be ashamed of herself.

clipped from the article:

Guests told reporters for NBCSan Diego they had been told the couple was traveling with their two children.

I am not sure who the guests are, but I did notice that nobody is saying that the boys were with the parents. The guests are saying some other nameless person told them the boys were on-board.

This is another example of careless reporting: why would an unverified fact be allowed into a news article?

I swear, I'm getting to where I just hate the media. The man filed for bankruptcy TEN YEARS AGO. No mention is made of ANY recent financial problems that either the husband or wife were experiencing.

I guess this very old non-story was reported to encourage bias against the accused. I KNOW the mention of married men wanting to swap wives had that intent, even though the reporter hurriedly mentioned that no one even suggested that THIS married man was one of the involved. It's salacious, so just throw it out there.

This is the kind of "news" I would expect from a show like Nancy Grace's and it is disappointing to see a regular news program stoop so low. That reporter ought to be ashamed of herself.

I know what you mean and agree.

Some of the reporting of late has been questionable, and we most likely will have to wait and hear more once the charges are brought forth today. So much already has been speculation, and some of it possibly untrue.

We'll see...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jrDKyncxDHiWSP8ouX46OX_TWY8wD99GBHG82

Colleagues said McGill spent 30 years teaching at-risk teens, became burned out by the job a decade ago but was revitalized when he came to work at the West Valley Leadership Academy in Canoga Park, a county-run alternative high school that White founded to help at-risk youth. The county closed it in June because of dwindling attendance.

McGill had switched teaching jobs a few years ago and was tutoring pregnant teenagers in an independent-study program.

Hougardy said Shirley McGill planned to move to Oregon, where her family and her children from a previous marriage lived. McGill was going to join her when he retired.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jrDKyncxDHiWSP8ouX46OX_TWY8wD99GC94G0

So friends and neighbors were shocked to learn that the veteran Los Angeles County school teacher is accused of killing his wife on his 55th birthday during a domestic dispute on a Mexican cruise. Shirley McGill had turned 55 just six days before she died.

McGill, whose gray hair falls below his shoulders, played guitar, liked to ride horses and hike and "was always out every morning walking the dogs," Hougardy said.

He killed her on his birthday!!

Well there goes the children theory, lol.

Wow, seems by most accounts this was a very nice man. It takes a lot to teach, and a lot more to teach at risk teens. It's really sad to there must have been more going on at home.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/FBI-Reports-of-Woman-Killed-on-Cruise.html

A Carnival spokesperson denies the information from the maitre 'd involving any children. No children were traveling with the couple, according to the cruise line. The FBI also said there were no children in the cabin at the time of the alleged murder and could not confirm that this was a stabbing.

I'm glad to hear the "kids" weren't with them. I think it was pretty intrusive in the one "financial problems (from 1998?)" video when they showed the photos, names and ages of his two sons. The "kids" were not involved, that "news" report didn't have to include them.

So, pretty much half of what we learned/sleuthed today from news sources is hearsay and maybe a little truth mixed in.

I'd really like to know what happened in that cabin and why!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back