CA CA - Sylmar (Lopez Cyn), WhtFem 587UFCA, 18-25, Purple Bell-Bottoms, Apr'76

Rule outs for Lopez Canyon Jane Doe: Kristina Perkins 1953 Arizona, Lulaida Sejalbo 1955 California, Debra Spickler 1955 Connecticut, and Wilma Vermaas 1952 California.

Good find. Jane Doe has the same facial features as Sallie Reed.

587UFCA.jpg
reed_sallie.jpg
reed_sallie2.jpg
reed_sallie3.jpg

Sallie Margaret Reed
Missing since 1976-02-19 from Thibodaux, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: 19 Oct 1953
Age at time: 22
Estimated Height: unknown
Estimated Weight: 110 lbs
Hair Color: brown
Eye Color: brown
Race: White
Sex: Female
Dental Availability: No
DNA Availability: No
LSU Case Number: 120

Did anyone submit Sallie? Looks like it could be a possibility...might be tough to match though, because Sallie has fingerprint data, UP does not; UP has dental records, Sallie does not; Sallie has DNA "initial inquiry underway," UP has no DNA available.

Denise Oliverson looks a lot like the woman found in Lopez Canyon, except she went missing from Grand Junction, CO in April 1975 and was thought to have been killed by Ted Bundy.

It looks like both she and Jane Doe have dental records entered on NamUs, so they probably would have automatically matched if they were a fit. Also, Ted Bundy said he dumped her body in the Colorado River, 5 miles west of Grand Junction.

EThorne.jpg
587UFCA.jpg

Is it just me that saw a definite similarity between the sketch and a picture of Edna Christine Thorne? Wide forehead, slim nose, somewhat long and pointy chin, eyebrow shape not far off(and it says that the UID had plucked eyebrows), and they both have a quite small mouth(or at least I think Edna’s mouth would appear to be quite small when she’s not smiling).
She went missing a year earlier from Pennsylvania, fits the lower age range, was probably abducted, so that could explain why she’s in a completely different part of the US than where she went missing, fits the weight range(why no mention of the UID’s height?), and it says that she has brown hair in the description.
Links to Edna’s case files
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/74dfpa.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thorne_edna.html

SJPickle.jpg

I also thought Sherry Jean Pickle was worth considering.
She doesn't strike me as perfectly similar, but she has the same wide forehead and long but heart shaped face as the UID. Her eye area looks even more similar to the sketch than Edna's, even if her eyes are described as hazel instead of brown. She fits the weight range, too.

She went missing in Long Beach, California, in 1972 aged 15, which would make her 19,5 years in April 1976. Exactly in the middle of the age range. She was believed to have hitchhiked to Los Angeles.

The fractured ankle and scar makes me think that it's not a complete possibility, though.

Links to her case files
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1099dfca.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pickle_sherry.html

Seems like they could both be possibilities, did anyone submit? It may be tough to compare them though, because:
- UP has dental info, Edna and Sherry don't
- Edna and Sherry have DNA, UP doesn't
- None of them have fingerprints

NamUs says she was last seen in Montebello, CA which is in Los Angeles County and a lot closer to where the unidentified woman was found. I'm not sure if this is a typo, though, because the San Bernardino Sheriff's department is investigating her disappearance.

Seems like a possibility but would be a tricky one to compare, since the UP has dentals but Sarah doesn't, Sarah has DNA but the UP doesn't, and neither have fingerprints.

4452_14664.jpg

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Discovered: Sunday, April 11th, 1976

Discovery Location: Off Lopez Canyon Road San Fernando, California

Physical Description:

Race: Caucasian
Sex: Female
Height: 5’3”-5’8” (63-68”)
Weight: 130-150 lbs.
Head Hair: Brown, mid-back length w/blonde traces near the scalp
Facial Hair: Plucked eyebrows
Eye Color: Brown
Clothing: Brown multi-color blouse w/rust color tree figures, long sleeve w/elastic cuffs, worn bare midriff style (Sz. M) labeled “Styled in California”, purple bell bottom trouser labeled “Male”, made in the USA. Light green panties w/Thursday embroidered. Found near the bottom was a cotton suede jacket w/wool collar labeled “Londontown by Checkpoint”, black clog shoes
Jewelry:
Misc. Items:
Condition of Remain:
Not recognizable
Characteristics/Medical/Scars: Small build, 1” vertical scar 3” below the right kneecap
Transportation:
Postmortem Interval:
2-7 Days
Estimated Year of Death: 1976
Cause of Death: Stabbed or shot
Fingerprint Status: Available left hand and palm print
Dental Status: Available, Full silver cap on left upper first molar, lower right front molar missing
DNA Status:

Circumstances:

The unidentified woman’s body was discovered off Lopez Canyon Road in a remote area of the canyon. Evidence from the scene indicates the victim was stabbed or shot. She had been approximately deceased between 2 - 7 days.

Investigating Agencies:
County of Los Angeles Medical Examiner-Coroner
1104 North Mission Road
Los Angeles, CA. 90033
UID Case # 1976-04631
NCIC # U172296346
Tele: 323.343.0512
Web:
https://mec.lacounty.gov/

NCMEC: 1106255

ME/C Case: 1976-04631

Information Sources:
Doe Network Case # 587UFCA: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/587ufca.html

NAMUS Rule Outs as of 12/15/2019

MP7394
Shirley Frew
05/04/1969
Los Angeles CA

MP6849
Cindy Mellin
01/20/1970
Ventura CA

MP27901
Beatrice Calderon
08/17/1971
Santa Clara CA

MP33002
Kristina Allen
02/28/1976
Los Angeles CA

MP32285
Robin Graham
11/14/1970
Los Angeles CA

MP9037
KristinaPerkins
09/10/1975
Maricopa AZ

Lulaida Sejalbo
CA

Debra
Spickler
CT

MP5489
Wilma Vermaas
04/03/1976
Los Angeles CA

Below is the link to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's office Cold Case / Homicide Unit bulletin from 2013. There isn't anything that hasn't been posted, except they revised her weight estimate down to between 100 and 120 lbs.
In 1976, there was a vary large landfill in full operation just east of Lopez Canyon Road. It closed in the 1990's and is in the final stages of restoration now. Jane Doe #25 was found just 90 feet west of Lopez Canyon Road. IMO

Wayback Machine

How about Linda Sue Nickell? She hasn't been excluded in Namus yet. I think she fits the bill as far as age, height and weight range, also hair color (blonde, but there's also mention of brown and red hair, and we know Doe had blonde roots). Dunno if she had long hair though. Had 3 missing teeth like Doe (don't know if they're the same ones) and had a maroon jacket when she went missing (Doe had a brown jacket). Same facial features IMO, especially the mouth. From Flint, Michigan, but a known hitchhiker, could've run away to escape the abuse at home. The potential match was already submitted to the Doe Network a while ago, no updates though.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Colorized version of the police sketch.

Does anyone know if her death was reported in the newspapers? I have a hard time finding anything.

Attachments

• colorcropped.jpg
    colorcropped.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 4
Possible match?
Edna Faye McIntyre, disappeared from Chicago in 1972. Not listed in Namus.

Doe Network :

Would've been 21 in 1976, height and weight within range. Blonde hair (Doe had blonde roots). The only thing that doesn't add up is eye color (Edna's are blue, Doe's are brown). Wonder if it's possible the eye color changes 2-7 days after death?

emcintyre-janedoe1976-04631(3).jpg

Possible match?
Edna Faye McIntyre, disappeared from Chicago in 1972. Not listed in Namus.

Doe Network :

Would've been 21 in 1976, height and weight within range. Blonde hair (Doe had blonde roots). The only thing that doesn't add up is eye color (Edna's are blue, Doe's are brown). Wonder if it's possible the eye color changes 2-7 days after death?

View attachment 370251
Slender nose, long blonde hair. The eye color is off but could be explained by level of decomposition. I think this is worth submitting. Little is known about Edna’s disappearance so it’s possible she ended up in California.

JMO

Slender nose, long blonde hair. The eye color is off but could be explained by level of decomposition. I think this is worth submitting. Little is known about Edna’s disappearance so it’s possible she ended up in California.

JMO
Will submit then, thanks!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.