Can Coulter and Malkin be prosecuted?

windovervocalcords said:
.....Fred Phelps can say what he likes. Everyone knows he is crazy. My problem with Coulter is she gets a free ride and is deemed "acceptable".

That is wrong.

She can voice hatred but when she takes it a step further and starts saying someone ought to do something violent and intimidating and they do that is different.....
Phelps has been quoted by at least one person who was involved in an anti-gay crime...I don't recall the specific details - it was an assault somewhere in the South - I'll try to find more info. So not everyone knows he's crazy!

Do you not perceive Coulter's statements that people should be killed or harmed a type of hyperbole? I think most people do. It's an age old public speech tactic (as I pointed out in my earlier post about Jonathan Swift) and I remain convinced that it should be protected.

I also wanted to say that I don't listen to Ms. Coulter - I don't listen to any of the political gadabouts...except for Stephen Colbert - and that's because he and I went to high school together.

southcitymom said:
Phelps has been quoted by at least one person who was involved in an anti-gay crime...I don't recall the specific details - it was an assault somewhere in the South - I'll try to find more info. So not everyone knows he's crazy!

Do you not perceive Coulter's statements that people should be killed or harmed a type of hyperbole? I think most people do. It's an age old public speech tactic (as I pointed out in my earlier post about Jonathan Swift) and I remain convinced that it should be protected.

I also wanted to say that I don't listen to Ms. Coulter - I don't listen to any of the political gadabouts...except for Stephen Colbert - and that's because he and I went to high school together.

OH, MY GAWD, YOU KNOW STEPHEN COLBERT! (Oops. I did not shout! Cap lock got stuck.)

Back on topic, I agree it's dangerous to hold Coulter legally liable for some nut's actions. But we certainly should remember to hold her socially liable.

OH, MY GAWD, YOU KNOW STEPHEN COL-- (Sorry.)

Let's make sure we don't spend a penny that will end up in her pocket. Let's refuse to watch her stupid act on TV (and it wouldn't hurt to tell the networks we aren't watching)--

OH, MY GAWD, YOU--

(Sorry again. It's true. When it comes to Mr. Colbert, I am a total fanboy. I'm going to hide in shame now.) :blushing:

I think the difference is the individaul HURT she piles on private citizens; ie the reprehensible remarks about the 9-11 widows, including Kristin Breitweizer. I personally think a news program that allows someome to speak that way should be boycotted, regardless of its being considered "exaggeration".

A 10 year old boy can't tell his teacher "you're sexy", since he heard that at home, without being arrested, banned from school and a lawsuit. But we talk about killing or murdering on TV. You don't see Dick Morris talking like her.

If you read Kristin's novel, "Wake up Call", she has a special letter for Ann at the back.

She's NOT a comedian, she's a political commentator; and she's not funny. Even Colbert bashes Bush and the things he does; but you shouldn't be allowed to talk about killing, poisoning, drowning folks; exaggerate the bad things they DO, et.

What if children are watching this?

She's a witch.

Nova said:
OH, MY GAWD, YOU KNOW STEPHEN COLBERT! (Oops. I did not shout! Cap lock got stuck.)

Back on topic, I agree it's dangerous to hold Coulter legally liable for some nut's actions. But we certainly should remember to hold her socially liable.

OH, MY GAWD, YOU KNOW STEPHEN COL-- (Sorry.)

Let's make sure we don't spend a penny that will end up in her pocket. Let's refuse to watch her stupid act on TV (and it wouldn't hurt to tell the networks we aren't watching)--

OH, MY GAWD, YOU--

(Sorry again. It's true. When it comes to Mr. Colbert, I am a total fanboy. I'm going to hide in shame now.) :blushing:
Hey Nova,:blowkiss:

I went to school with Stephen for 12 years - well, actually, 11 - he was a grade ahead of me. I'm a total fangirl and always have been!

The coolest thing about his "fame" is that he is genuinely a nice, humble, funny person. He always has been. We didn't hang in the same crowd - but it was a small school and we had regular interaction. I always had a little crush on him, but he was way too nice for me to pursue back in those days before I realized that nice boys are the way to go! LOL!

I'm thrilled that he's ended up where he has and I adore the character he has created! Pure genius!

Also - back to the topic at hand - I agree that we should be able to express our opinions regarding Ann Coulter loud and clear. My opinion, as I have mentioned before, is that the woman is unhinged.

Marthatex said:
I think the difference is the individaul HURT she piles on private citizens; ie the reprehensible remarks about the 9-11 widows, including Kristin Breitweizer. I personally think a news program that allows someome to speak that way should be boycotted, regardless of its being considered "exaggeration".

A 10 year old boy can't tell his teacher "you're sexy", since he heard that at home, without being arrested, banned from school and a lawsuit. But we talk about killing or murdering on TV. You don't see Dick Morris talking like her.

If you read Kristin's novel, "Wake up Call", she has a special letter for Ann at the back.

She's NOT a comedian, she's a political commentator; and she's not funny. Even Colbert bashes Bush and the things he does; but you shouldn't be allowed to talk about killing, poisoning, drowning folks; exaggerate the bad things they DO, et.

What if children are watching this?

She's a witch.
Why don't the Conservative/Republican moralists on the right stopl Coulter themselves?

Why hasn't Ann herself publically expressed dismay?

Under their own logic it's now time to detain and torture Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, and the rest of their rabble-rousing crowd

"The pro-torture advocates believe that our government should continue to detain and torture people without evidence, simply on suspicion -- suspicion that's based on nothing more than guilt-by-association, however tenous, or simply guesswork. The rationale is that the imminence and severity of a terrorist threat allows us to bend the rules.
Chad Castagana's false "anthrax" letters to people like Keith Olbermann and David Letterman were terrorism, according to both common understanding and the Department of Defense, which defines it as "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives.
My position on torture and unlawful detention hasn't changed: it's wrong, it's hideous, and it offends everything that makes us who we are as a country and a people. But, hey - fair is fair. Surely those patriotic conservatives who believe that it's justified should be willing to take a few waterboardings for the cause. Whaddya say, Michelle and Ann?"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/at-last-a-cogent-argume_b_34102.html

southcitymom said:
But aren't Coulter's over-the-top statements the modern day equivalent of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", written in 1729, where he suggests that the starving Irish eat babies.

Yes, except for the lack of wit.

southcitymom said:
Hey Nova,:blowkiss:

I went to school with Stephen for 12 years - well, actually, 11 - he was a grade ahead of me. I'm a total fangirl and always have been!

The coolest thing about his "fame" is that he is genuinely a nice, humble, funny person. He always has been. We didn't hang in the same crowd - but it was a small school and we had regular interaction. I always had a little crush on him, but he was way too nice for me to pursue back in those days before I realized that nice boys are the way to go! LOL!

I'm thrilled that he's ended up where he has and I adore the character he has created! Pure genius!

Also - back to the topic at hand - I agree that we should be able to express our opinions regarding Ann Coulter loud and clear. My opinion, as I have mentioned before, is that the woman is unhinged.

It's funny. Usually I don't care whether brilliant performers are nice or not, but in this case, it's good to hear.

Mr. Colbert is beyond brilliant, of course, at least "genius." And thought I realize he's actually a kind of nerdy guy with mishapen ears, he nevertheless comes across as totally hot!

Can I be your date for the high school reunion?

Nova said:
It's funny. Usually I don't care whether brilliant performers are nice or not, but in this case, it's good to hear.

Mr. Colbert is beyond brilliant, of course, at least "genius." And thought I realize he's actually a kind of nerdy guy with mishapen ears, he nevertheless comes across as totally hot!

Can I be your date for the high school reunion?
Oh, he's hot for sure! And, Nova, you can be my date any time! I missed my 20-year reunion...we'll have to shoot for the 30-year one.

southcitymom said:
Yeah...and Swift was better looking...

But, then, he'd have to be. :cool:

(Looking forward to that 30th reunion.)

1. “Even Islamic terrorists don’t hate America like liberals do. They don’t have the energy. If they had that much energy, they’d have indoor plumbing by now.”

2. “There’s nothing wrong with being gay. I have plenty of friends who are going to hell.”

3. “I just think Rosa Parks was overrated. Last time I checked, she got famous for breaking the law.”

4. “Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity, as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of ‘Kill everyone who doesn’t smell bad and answer to the name Muhammad.’ ”

5. “I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Muslim, or Jewish. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior.”

6. “[North Korea] is a major threat. I just think it would be fun to nuke them and have it be a warning to the rest of the world.”

7. “Isn’t an agnostic just an atheist without balls?”

Answers: Coulter 1, 4, 6 Colbert 2, 3, 5, 7
http://phonelesscord.wordpress.com/2006/10/12/stephen-colbert-vs-ann-coulter-celebripundit-death-match/

windovervocalcords said:
1. “Even Islamic terrorists don’t hate America like liberals do. They don’t have the energy. If they had that much energy, they’d have indoor plumbing by now.”

2. “There’s nothing wrong with being gay. I have plenty of friends who are going to hell.”

3. “I just think Rosa Parks was overrated. Last time I checked, she got famous for breaking the law.”

4. “Being nice to people is, in fact, one of the incidental tenets of Christianity, as opposed to other religions whose tenets are more along the lines of ‘Kill everyone who doesn’t smell bad and answer to the name Muhammad.’ ”

5. “I believe that everyone has the right to their own religion, be you Hindu, Muslim, or Jewish. I believe there are infinite paths to accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior.”

6. “[North Korea] is a major threat. I just think it would be fun to nuke them and have it be a warning to the rest of the world.”

7. “Isn’t an agnostic just an atheist without balls?”

Answers: Coulter 1, 4, 6 Colbert 2, 3, 5, 7
http://phonelesscord.wordpress.com/2006/10/12/stephen-colbert-vs-ann-coulter-celebripundit-death-match/
That's terrific, Wind!

southcitymom said:
That's terrific, Wind!
Coulter is a shrill, abusive demagogue and Colbert just plays one on TV. But with Coulter, there’s always been a sturdy suspicion that she is playing a character (like Colbert) and amping up the obnoxious rhetoric for maximum effect (like Colbert). When I mention the comparison to Colbert, though, he seems surprised, even unnerved. “I don’t really think about her much,” he says. “She’s a self-generating bogeyman. She’s like someone who wants attention for having been bad.” Given that he’s hosted right-wing true believers like Joe Scarborough before, and has often said he’d love to have Bill O’Reilly on the show, would he ever invite Coulter as a guest? “My sense is that she’s playing a character,” he says. “I don’t need another character. There’s one character on my show, and that’s me.”
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/8734.html

Hey! I've been using that "atheist without balls" for years. LONG before Stevie. Where's my credit?

I'm putting COL-berT on notice!

(Not that that's what agnostic should mean, but it's how a lot of dictionaries make it sound.)

Of course, I already knew a lot of the quotes, but I believe one *can* distinguish between Coulter remarks and Colbertisms. Hers have a nastiness (nuke 'em, bomb 'em, kill 'em) to them you don't find in his.

ETA: and, of course, that's what separates great satirists like Swift and Colbert from mere demogogues. If Coulter said the Irish should eat their babies, she'd be making fun of the Irish. Swift was mocking the platitudes on "self reliance" offered by the elites of his day.

...paranoid and psychotic, which is why she attracts the tin-foil hatted people like the crazy guy in the recent article we've been discussing...

The problem is, she's an angry, paranoid psychotic in Barbie-doll clothing, so people don;t see it as readily...If she looked "nuttier," and had less of a "stage presence," then people would immediately "see" the obvious...sad, but true...

God, they should make an Ann Coulter Barbie, in a long off the shoulder formal black sheath dress, with long blonde hair, jewelry and heels. Accessories could be a machete, an AK-47, a sword, a makeup case, and a copy of the "Sword Project"...

cappuccina said:
...paranoid and psychotic, which is why she attracts the tin-foil hatted people like the crazy guy in the recent article we've been discussing...

The problem is, she's an angry, paranoid psychotic in Barbie-doll clothing, so people don;t see it as readily...If she looked "nuttier," and had less of a "stage presence," then people would immediately "see" the obvious...sad, but true...

God, they should make an Ann Coulter Barbie, in a long off the shoulder formal black sheath dress, with long blonde hair, jewelry and heels. Accessories could be a machete, an AK-47, a sword, a makeup case, and a copy of the "Sword Project"...
Ann Coulter on tour: "I think a baseball bat is the most effective way these days" to talk to liberals.
http://mediamatters.org/items/200410070004

Here's a conservative group that does not like Coulter:
Coulter Watch is a site that promotes the proposition that Conservatism can only endure as a viable and vibrant movement if it maintains a commitment to the core character traits of honor and integrity, honesty and virtue.​

http://www.coulterwatch.com/

Nova said:
Of course, I already knew a lot of the quotes, but I believe one *can* distinguish between Coulter remarks and Colbertisms. Hers have a nastiness (nuke 'em, bomb 'em, kill 'em) to them you don't find in his.

ETA: and, of course, that's what separates great satirists like Swift and Colbert from mere demogogues. If Coulter said the Irish should eat their babies, she'd be making fun of the Irish. Swift was mocking the platitudes on "self reliance" offered by the elites of his day.
In my opinion, one of the things that makes Colbert's character work is the fact that the real Colbert's genuine decency shines through. And you are correct that it's much more appropriate to compare Swift to Colbert than to Coulter...I was just bolstering my opinion that Coulter, however repugnant, should not be held legally liable for the actions of her even more lunatic devotees.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back