Can Coulter and Malkin be prosecuted?

southcitymom said:
In my opinion, one of the things that makes Colbert's character work is the fact that the real Colbert's genuine decency shines through. And you are correct that it's much more appropriate to compare Swift to Colbert than to Coulter...I was just bolstering my opinion that Coulter, however repugnant, should not be held legally liable for the actions of her even more lunatic devotees.
Does Coulter's genuine decency shine through? I may have missed it.
"Coulter used her realtor's address on her voter's registration to conceal the address of her Palm Beach home, and then voted in her realtor's precinct. Florida statutes make it a third-degree felony to vote knowingly in the wrong precinct. Lying on a voter's registration can cost up to $5,000 and five years behind bars.

This would be the same Coulter who declared herself an expert on Florida elections back in 2000. Coulter praised then-Florida Secretary of-State-now-pathetic-loser Katherine Harris, who she said was being ridiculed by Democrats because she insisted on following Florida election laws to the letter.

"Obsessive rule-followers are the bane of Democrats' existence," Coulter wrote in defending Harris."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x2966850
rofl.gif

If one of Ann Coulter's devotees comes after me with a baseball bat for being a liberal, you can bet I would want to sue her.

At the very least, my last wish would be that she be stopped before harming anyone else. She's like Mel Gibson before the last binge. An accident waiting to happen.

southcitymom said:
In my opinion, one of the things that makes Colbert's character work is the fact that the real Colbert's genuine decency shines through. And you are correct that it's much more appropriate to compare Swift to Colbert than to Coulter...I was just bolstering my opinion that Coulter, however repugnant, should not be held legally liable for the actions of her even more lunatic devotees.

wind, that's not what she's saying. She (and I) agree that there is a basic decency to STEPHEN COLBERT that Coulter lacks. I don't believe anyone has accused Coulter of decency in many, many years.

Stephen Colbert, on the other hand, is decent even to his conservative guests (though he lets them make themselves look foolish).

SCM, I should have been more clear: I understood perfectly and totally agree that Coulter is the LEGAL equivalent of Swift -- and Larry Flynt, to take a quite relevant legal example. The law is not equipped and has no business judging the artistic subtleties we are discussing in this thread.

Nova said:
wind, that's not what she's saying. She (and I) agree that there is a basic decency to STEPHEN COLBERT that Coulter lacks. I don't believe anyone has accused Coulter of decency in many, many years.

Stephen Colbert, on the other hand, is decent even to his conservative guests (though he lets them make themselves look foolish).

SCM, I should have been more clear: I understood perfectly and totally agree that Coulter is the LEGAL equivalent of Swift -- and Larry Flynt, to take a quite relevant legal example. The law is not equipped and has no business judging the artistic subtleties we are discussing in this thread.
It was a rhetorical question with a snarky comment.

I agree with you both. Colbert's character works because of his underlying basic decency.
Ann Coulter is practicing hate speech. I do not see that as art.

Ann Coulter on tour: "I think a baseball bat is the most effective way these days" to talk to liberals.
Hate speech: a type of speech which is used to deliberately offend an individual; or racial, ethnic, religious or other group. Such speech generally seeks to condemn or dehumanize the individual or group; or express anger, hatred, violence or contempt toward them.

windovervocalcords said:
Does Coulter's genuine decency shine through? I may have missed it.
"Coulter used her realtor's address on her voter's registration to conceal the address of her Palm Beach home, and then voted in her realtor's precinct. Florida statutes make it a third-degree felony to vote knowingly in the wrong precinct. Lying on a voter's registration can cost up to $5,000 and five years behind bars.

This would be the same Coulter who declared herself an expert on Florida elections back in 2000. Coulter praised then-Florida Secretary of-State-now-pathetic-loser Katherine Harris, who she said was being ridiculed by Democrats because she insisted on following Florida election laws to the letter.

"Obsessive rule-followers are the bane of Democrats' existence," Coulter wrote in defending Harris."
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x2966850http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/rofl.gif

If one of Ann Coulter's devotees comes after me with a baseball bat for being a liberal, you can bet I would want to sue her.

At the very least, my last wish would be that she be stopped before harming anyone else. She's like Mel Gibson before the last binge. An accident waiting to happen.
I've seen no evidence of Coulter's basic decency. I mean, she's human and all and I'm just Pollyanna-ish to assume it's there somewhere within the crevices of her gnarled, withered heart, but I have no real evidence of it!:D

windovervocalcords said:
It was a rhetorical question with a snarky comment.

I agree with you both. Colbert's character works because of his underlying basic decency.
Ann Coulter is practicing hate speech. I do not see that as art.

Ann Coulter on tour: "I think a baseball bat is the most effective way these days" to talk to liberals.
Hate speech: a type of speech which is used to deliberately offend an individual; or racial, ethnic, religious or other group. Such speech generally seeks to condemn or dehumanize the individual or group; or express anger, hatred, violence or contempt toward them.
IMO, this quote of Ann Coulter's is hyperbole. She just has such a nasty energy to her that it sounds terrible. She's neither charming or clever enough to pull it off. No one with half a brain thinks she really means this.
ETA: of course many of her followers may be working with that diminished amount of brainpower...

southcitymom said:
IMO, this quote of Ann Coulter's is hyperbole. She just has such a nasty energy to her that it sounds terrible. She's neither charming or clever enough to pull it off. No one with half a brain thinks she really means this.
ETA: of course many of her followers may be working with that diminished amount of brainpower...
Hyperbole and hyperbole..it can be done harmlessly or it can be done with harm intended. Coulter is no light hearted tongue in cheek subtle artist..

Hyperbole examples:

I nearly died."
"He is as big as a elephant!"
"I've heard that a billion and one times."
"Wikipedia has eleventy billion entries!"
"I will die if no one asks me to dance."
"I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."
"She has a brain the size of a pinhead."
"I told you a billion times not to exaggerate."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

No one was physically harmed by the fake anthrax this time.

Nova, if you take Colbert from me, look for poison in your soup.

He's so handsome he has to hide himself with glasses, like ugly Betty. for anyone to listen to him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back