Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
LL, not sure if you've tried this to find the inaccessible videos...instead of looking at the media outlet's sites/links, you might want to try YouTube. Just an idea, I have no idea if videos will be there but they might. It's amazing what people upload on there, hopefully there will be something!

Thanks Lala! I think I will have to source from YouTube. After going thru the news links and the Calgary Newsroom I think it would be way more efficient to reference the live statements and Q&A with LE. I am logging off for a few days, if I have some spare time over the weekend I will be practising my skills at typing out transcripts... Eek!

Thanks Lala! I think I will have to source from YouTube. After going thru the news links and the Calgary Newsroom I think it would be way more efficient to reference the live statements and Q&A with LE. I am logging off for a few days, if I have some spare time over the weekend I will be practising my skills at typing out transcripts... Eek!
They should all be transcribed already - Here is the media page for everyone's reference:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249037

It is definitely a comforter. It begs the question - Out of all the 'trash' at the dump, what would make them take these specific items? For example, could a similar blanket be seen in the bed of a certain truck on CCTV?

Was this photo taken on the final day of the search? LE referred to the landfill search as standard. I find it discouraging if this blanket is connected because it must be contaminated from stewing at the landfill. I also think it could belong to anyone and that they took it because they were looking for blankets. Where is the landfill for Airdrie residents? I wonder if they were able to search Airdrie garbage as well.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/09/police-search-moves-to-dump
A police spokeswoman said the landfill search is a standard step in missing persons cases, but admitted it is the first time investigators have turned their attention to any of Calgary’s dump sites.

Was this photo taken on the final day of the search? LE referred to the landfill search as standard. I find it discouraging if this blanket is connected because it must be contaminated from stewing at the landfill. I also think it could belong to anyone and that they took it because they were looking for blankets. Where is the landfill for Airdrie residents? I wonder if they were able to search Airdrie garbage as well.

A police spokeswoman said the landfill search is a standard step in missing persons cases, but admitted it is the first time investigators have turned their attention to any of Calgary’s dump sites.
It's interesting that the focus was on the Spill landfill. It is in the NW area of town - the opposite direction for one travelling to Airdrie from Parkhill, presumably.

The closer one is the East Calgary Landfill:
d0771c351214944e72ed679d72417bf2.jpg

It would be literally, right on the way. Of course they did say they were searching all landfills, but the media concentrated their coverage on the NW one.

It's interesting that the focus was on the Spill landfill. It is in the NW area of town - the opposite direction for one travelling to Airdrie from Parkhill, presumably.

d0771c351214944e72ed679d72417bf2.jpg

It would be literally, right on the way. Of course they did say they were searching all landfills, but the media concentrated their coverage on the NW one.

I am guessing the NW location is where the Parkhill garbage is taken?

I am guessing the NW location is where the Parkhill garbage is taken?
Honestly, I cannot be sure. I doubt that Parkhill's waste would be transferred to the opposite end of the city when there is two MUCH closer locations of the same size. In this map below, the top left marker is the Spyhill Landfill, the top right is East Calgary Landfill and the bottom right is Shepard Landfill. As you can see, Parkhill is just west of the one on the top right:

7b717f70810bbdf3d6ff13c7c6326bc0.jpg

Honestly, I cannot be sure. I doubt that Parkhill's waste would be transferred to the opposite end of the city when there is two MUCH closer locations of the same size. In this map below, the top left marker is the Spyhill Landfill, the top right is East Calgary Landfill and the bottom right is Shepard Landfill. As you can see, Parkhill is between the two on the right:

7b717f70810bbdf3d6ff13c7c6326bc0.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if we can find out which landfill is used per neighbourhood.

Interesting. I wonder if we can find out which landfill is used per neighbourhood.
I doubt they would be looking for trash taken by the City - The police would have had the residential and commercial neighbourhood garbage searched starting that morning the victim's were discovered 'missing' prior to it being collected - standard protocol.

Of course that doesn't preclude someone from dropping off items beyond the general area after leaving a crime scene. That would be a good reason why they would check all three.

I doubt they would be looking for trash taken by the City - The police would have had the residential and commercial neighbourhood garbage searched starting that morning the victim's were discovered 'missing' prior to it being collected - standard protocol.

Of course that doesn't preclude someone from dropping off items beyond the general area after leaving a crime scene. That would be a good reason why they would check all three.

Makes sense. But, does standard protocol mean they have done it before? What is up with this statement?

do you have a link?
No. That is why I said it was "my understanding" - Although...

From the article you cited:

Calgary police Insp. Steven Barlow said Monday the force is reviewing its practices and training in light of the judge’s ruling.

While the Reid Technique formed a significant part of interview training in the past, the department has veered away from it in recent years, favouring an approach that is less aggressive and involves building rapport with the suspect and “putting all the cards on the table,” he said.

Makes sense. But, does standard protocol mean they have done it before? What is up with this statement?

I find the writing very confusing -

How *I* interpret that section is, that while other jurisdictions have done the landfill search, Calgary has never had too.

No. That is why I said it was "my understanding" - Although...

From the article you cited:

Calgary police Insp. Steven Barlow said Monday the force is reviewing its practices and training in light of the judge’s ruling.

While the Reid Technique formed a significant part of interview training in the past, the department has veered away from it in recent years, favouring an approach that is less aggressive and involves building rapport with the suspect and “putting all the cards on the table,” he said.

we can all read that but it isn't necessarily formal. maybe you can dig up something more formal?

we can all read that but it isn't necessarily formal. maybe you can dig up something more formal?
Wish I could Stan... I would imagine it be part of their internal policy. I know from the past that they release that type of info by way of a media request. I am not sure about public inquiries. Glad to hear that reading comprehension is alive and well.

This is the main site for CPS and other City of Calgary releases - This is one of the releases for this case:

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/news/man-charged-in-missing-persons-investigation

Just go to the main page and enter in 'Homicides' - This case should be all filed under that string or under 'Missing'.

I will add them in a seperate post. Let me know if I missed any.

ETA:

These press releases are a really good source for info that has been untouched by MSM. There are quite a few, some redundant, but good details.

Thank you! I had searched what I thought was the CPS media site a few times, but when I put the name "Liknes" into the search engine, nothing came up.

Wasn't the bedding collected at the Spyhill Landfill? ... let me find it ...

Honestly, I cannot be sure. I doubt that Parkhill's waste would be transferred to the opposite end of the city when there is two MUCH closer locations of the same size. In this map below, the top left marker is the Spyhill Landfill, the top right is East Calgary Landfill and the bottom right is Shepard Landfill. As you can see, Parkhill is just west of the one on the top right:

Doesn't Airdrie garbage go to Spyhill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member