Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I believe the consensus here on the forum was it looked like a blanket in the bag (see photo), but then again it wasn't put in a paper bag so maybe nothing seen on it to the naked eye but maybe something under a microscope.

Not sure what else they found, as they are also carrying brown paper bags also.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/09/the-worst-job-in-the-world-is-worth-it-for-calgary-police

This is the caption under the photo:

"An investigator carries away a number of bagged items discovered at Spyhill landfill Wednesday July 9, 2014 in northwest Calgary, Alta. The search continues for the three missing people and any evidence surrounding the case. Police continue to search a location near Airdrie, Alta and in the landfill July 9, 2014. Jim Wells/Calgary Sun/QMI Agency"

http://live.calgarysun.com/Event/Ca...go_missing_in_suspicious_disappearance?Page=5

I find the writing very confusing -

How *I* interpret that section is, that while other jurisdictions have done the landfill search, Calgary has never had too.

I took it as it's standard protocol for certain crimes, and maybe they've never had a crime in recent times to action on this particular step. Maybe in most cases, they find their evidence in the 'usual' places and landfills are further down the list of places to perhaps look. Not sure, that how I took it...

Does anyone know if Spyhill landfill has cameras or if you need to 'check in' or ID to dump there?

Spyhill is closed Sundays, but opens @ 7:30am on Monday (Mon-Sat).

Guidelines for landfills (BBM):

- Waste loads must be tarped and secure to prevent littering.
- Charges apply to all loads of waste brought to the landfills.
- Clean fill disposal requirements have changed (a soil analysis test may be required before disposal). Please refer to the Landfill Rates page for more information, or contact 311.

So if the suspect went there, he would've had to pay unless evidence was brought to landfill via city garbage.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/Landfill-information/Landfill-Locations-and-Hours.aspx

I literally just copied and pasted this from another forum, as on my iPhone now. Will try to find a better/legit source later. These are definitions referring to evidence the public is aware of:

"Holdback/hallmark evidence. the basis upon which the vast majority of murders are solved. Hallmark evidence refers to certain aspects of evidence which are unique and case sensitive. Police forces aren’t going to share hallmark evidence info like they did in times past. They think that doing so can compromise the nature of the case, and in certain circumstances may prolong the extent of the investigation. This evidence must be protected and not released to the public.

Holdback information:
-the manner and cause of death
-the mechanism of death
-the time of death
-the motive
-who last saw the deceased, and
-post murder conduct (of people)

Reasons to protect this evidence:
-to prevent false confessions
-to prevent a person making false or misleading statements to police (which can result in a -significant loss of police time, effort and resources)
-to potentially protect the reliability of any witness who might come forward"

Spyhill is closed Sundays, but opens @ 7:30am on Monday (Mon-Sat).

Guidelines for landfills (BBM):

- Waste loads must be tarped and secure to prevent littering.
- Charges apply to all loads of waste brought to the landfills.
- Clean fill disposal requirements have changed (a soil analysis test may be required before disposal). Please refer to the Landfill Rates page for more information, or contact 311.

So if the suspect went there, he would've had to pay unless evidence was brought to landfill via city garbage.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/Landfill-information/Landfill-Locations-and-Hours.aspx

I personally believe that if obvious evidence was discarded in a trash can somewhere, that the LE would likely have found it since having trash segregated into separate piles too. LE wouldn't have the foggiest clue which landfill could contain it either, so it stands to reason they all be searched thoroughly. Messy job, I certainly sympathize with these guys - in the heat of summer having to do that ?? ugh!! MOO as usual

I personally believe that if obvious evidence was discarded in a trash can somewhere, that the LE would likely have found it since having trash segregated into separate piles too. LE wouldn't have the foggiest clue which landfill could contain it either, so it stands to reason they all be searched thoroughly. Messy job, I certainly sympathize with these guys - in the heat of summer having to do that ?? ugh!! MOO as usual

True, very true if evidence was disposed of via neighborhood pick up by the city workers.

I was more curious if the suspect dropped off a load with his truck and if this is a possibility - when this happened, if he paid and if it was caught on camera?

Agree, that brutal heat on those searchers must've been so tough. Kudos to everyone out there searching!

True, very true if evidence was disposed of via neighborhood pick up by the city workers.

I was more curious if the suspect dropped off a load with his truck and if this is a possibility - when this happened, if he paid and if it was caught on camera?

Agree, that brutal heat on those searchers must've been so tough. Kudos to everyone out there searching!

Don't the landfills also issue a receipt of payment with some type of identifying information (whether name/address, licence plate # or both) that basically verifies the person is entitled to use that particular landfill?

It would be very bold for the accused to drive to the landfill site to dispose of evidence from a murder, but he is bold. We know that from his lawsuit against the government for employment insurance.
It would also be incredibly stupid for him to assume that he would get away with the murders, and leave a trail of evidence such as having his info taken at the entrance to the dump.

Perhaps he put some evidence in dumpsters in the Airdrie area.

Don't the landfills also issue a receipt of payment with some type of identifying information (whether name/address, licence plate # or both) that basically verifies the person is entitled to use that particular landfill?

That's exactly what I'm wondering!

It would be very bold for the accused to drive to the landfill site to dispose of evidence from a murder, but he is bold. We know that from his lawsuit against the government for employment insurance.
It would also be incredibly stupid for him to assume that he would get away with the murders, and leave a trail of evidence such as having his info taken at the entrance to the dump.

Perhaps he put some evidence in dumpsters in the Airdrie area.

He's also bold enough to clean up a sidewalk presumably and let himself be seen at the scene of the crime.

If he thought he'd never be a suspect, then wrapping up waste in a tarp and dropping off at a landfill in daylight hours wouldn't be a suspicious or stupid act to him. Now as we look in hindsight it's stupid, but maybe he thought it was smart because it's is normal and mundane.

LoisLane, I was wondering if could please repost the land title info about the property - the three page pdf document with the mortgage and caveat information. I'm curious about the general consensus on that. Given that the Liknes couple had two mortgages from 2004, and 2006, was the consensus that they had title prior to the half million that the took in mortgage over those two years, or was the assumption that after the mortgages were paid, did they still have another 200k? Is there any possibility that the house was connected to the business such that declaring bankruptcy on June 27, 2014 would clear that debt as well? It sure seems like there was something fishy about the sale of the house given that the new owner appeared to place a caveat on it at the time of purchase.

The docs were originally posted here

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ien-5-Calgary-30-June-2014-*ARREST*-18/page38

Liknes Land Titles Activity: Mortgages and Caveats

I took the time to watch this documentary, otto. The LE involved in this case were a bunch of very bad actors, IMO, weren't they? Bungling, inept and disinterested, to say the least. Of interest, when googling the name of the felon the following came up... Raymond Hatch was born on January 21, 1947 in Waldoboro, Maine, USA as Raymond Walter Hatch. He died on January 3, 2000 in Bangor, Maine.
Longtime criminal who pled guilty to second-degree murder after killing 19-year-old Eric Wilson of Ottawa; sentenced to serve 26 years in prison, he was released after 13. In 1994 he stabbed his girlfriend with an 8-inch knife, and after initially being charged with aggravated assault, he was convicted of assault and sentenced to 364 days in jail and a $10 fine; he was again released after 9 months.

When googling the name of the young Canadian man who was murdered, nada. Nothing.

He's also bold enough to clean up a sidewalk presumably and let himself be seen at the scene of the crime.

If he thought he'd never be a suspect, then wrapping up waste in a tarp and dropping off at a landfill in daylight hours wouldn't be a suspicious or stupid act to him. Now as we look in hindsight it's stupid, but maybe he thought it was smart because it's is normal and mundane.

Hiya! I am looking for direct quotes from LE and came across this...

Posted July 10, 2014

“Shortly after the disappearance was reported we made contact with the three landfill sites in Calgary and we asked that all refuse from the Calgary and surrounding area that goes to those landfill sites be segregated off,” Brookwell said.

“There have been items that have been taken from the landfill site, but we don’t know if there’s any relevance to this file or not. You can appreciate that we’re talking about all landfill that was collected for a number of days following the disappearance, so there is quite a quantity to go through.”

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...hether-business-part-of-missing-persons-case/

Also found a video link of Brookwell:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1443565/p...-and-rural-home-in-search-for-missing-family/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels